Seventeen

The Curse

I know it was a long time coming. Apprently I bit more than I can chew! 

Anyways enjoy!

___________________________________________________

She has heard from Zico that the Kingdom of United is beautiful but nothing would have prepared her for the Summer Court, absolutely nothing. It was simply breath taking, the vast forest on the west, the river on the Eastern border and the mass of inhabitants in the lap of the bluish mountains in the north.

The breath taking beauty even made her forget the discomfort she had felt through out the journey. The looks everybody kept giving her, she didn't know what it was but sometimes about the fact that Leo went to look for her didn't sit well with others.

Well none of her business.

There was no wall surrounding the city, it stretched on, on it's own. But the borders were guarded and there was even a triple shield in place. Which was to be expected considering that it was their capital city.

They all went through with ease but when it came to her, the shield didn't let her in. And once again she found herself alone.

"It doesn't recognize her as a part of the pack," Taehyung explained, "since you haven't marked her yet."

Hyuk gave her an apologetic look, Leo avoided her eyes and the rest behaved as if they didn't hear the beautiful witch.

"Hyung...," The said witch tried again, "Mark her. Or scent her at least."

She averted her eyes, not wanting to see that disgust again on their faces and couldn't help muttering, "Regret not leaving me behind?" 

When she heard nothing in reply, she looked up at the sky trying to decipher the flow of the clouds and started stepping away from the barrier having stood there like an idiot for long enough.

How far would home be anyway?

She had just moved a few steps when Hakyeon's voice called, "Just make a window for her Joon."

And that was how she was let in.

 

They are greeted by happy faces and well wishes as they make their way to the castle. The hustle of the day life make her forget that she's a stranger here. Almost.

But the looks she receives remind her.  There is nothing hostile in them, the people are just intrigued about her. And she feels really happy at not being glared at. But then again, she has never been a dreamer and knows that once they know who she is, the looks would change drastically.

The atmosphere reminds her of back home and while she might not like Hakyeon as a person, she can't help but admire him as a king. It's pretty clear that his subjects adore him, all of them.

They continue to walk leisurely and the smiles and greetings just increase.

At last they take a beautifully carved wooden bridge across a river, whose water seem to sparkle like crystals in the sun. On the other side is a garden, flowers and trees and bushes as far as she could see. In the middle stands a castle, pristine white and beautiful. The flag fluttering proudly at the top of one of the minarets show their insignia.

The flag is purple in colour and their insignia, a rich gold. And yet again she's hit with the realization that they don't consider her a part of them yet because the colors she's wearing are not theirs.

It shouldn't hurt, it really shouldn't. But it does. And she can't understand why. It's not like she was expecting anything from them. The only deal was that they would provide her kingdom with soldiers and other man power, which they have. Then why does her heart sink everytime they make her realize that she is an outsider?

"Yeonie!" She has been so busy in her musings that she forgot to pay attention to her surroundings. 

They have already crossed the gardens and are now walking through a hallway. The walls are spotless white and carved in them are beautifully exotic designs. There are chandeliers hanging from the arched roof, which are again decorated with exotic designs.

The voice that made her snap out of it has been a woman's, who is now standing a few steps ahead of them and looking like someone gave her the world.

She's wearing a navy blue gown with the VIXX insignia on the chest, her hair in a carefully constructed bun. Atop of which is resting a delicate crown. She seems to be in her forty's but is still beautiful. And she smells like alpha.

"My sons, you are back!" And then she has crossed the distance in the blink of an eye and is kissing them on the cheek one by one.

"Mother Royal," the others greet her with a bow which she dismisses with the wave of her hand and a bright smile.


When she reaches Hakyeon, the look on her face changes. It seems like a mixture of deep love and regret. 

The woman opens her arms, the gesture hesitant, which wasn't so when she has hugged the other five. Instead of walking into her arms, Hakyeon side steps her and walks away, leaving the woman with her arms outstretched.

It's their mother, Meliha thinks, but why is he behaving so coldly with her?

"Hakyeon," Leo is running after him and turning him around by the arm, "Don't behave like that with her!"

"Don't tell me how to behave," comes the reply and he is jerking his brother's arm away from his.

"It's alright Taek," the woman has a nice voice, "Let him be." 

"But," the said person rebukes.

She smiles at him and he shuts up. Then the woman is suddenly looking at Meliha, at first a little unsure and then her face lights up again.

"Ah she must be your mate!" And then she's suddenly in her face. All happy and excited.

"Wife," comes a blunt reply from Hakyeon, "she's not our mate."

"You're beautiful," their mother says, paying no attention to Hakyeon, "and don't listen to Yeonie. He's bad with matters of heart."

Meliha smiles in return. The woman has a cozy aura, almost like Jinwoo's which is weird considering she's an alpha.

"Oh and I even prepared the welcome party for you because I got the message that you'd be coming yesterday but you didn't so everything went to waste," she explains, hands clasping Meliha's, who doesn't know what to say so she settles on a 'Sorry' instead.

"It's ok," she gets a smile in return, "you'll be living here from now on so we can throw all the parties we want!"

"Do whatever you want," Hongbin speaks up, irritated at having to stand in a hallway and witness his mother get all cozy with the woman, "I'm leaving."

"Oh you must be tired, go on get some rest, all of you," she ushers them forward, "And eat before you sleep."

They nod in union, expect Hakyeon who looks like he wants to be anywhere but there.

"And you," mother royal points at her, "come with me since you won't get your own room before the rituals."

'What rituals?' she thinks as she follows the lady down the hallway.

 

Later that night she stands in front of a heavy wooden door, the VIXX insignia looking more scary than a symbol is supposed to. She's been washed with flowery smelling soap and scrubbed till her skin had turned red and then sprinkled with some more flowery perfume. Now she was wearing a silk night gown that hugs her body but at least it was full length.

Apparently the wedding night is a big deal in this kingdom. It's a ritual as per say and the new bride only gets to stay in her husband's room after the wedding night. In her case, since there are six of them so she'll be getting her own room instead of sharing with one of them, which also means she will be spending a night with each of them.

Guess who's excited?

None of them.

It has been half an hour already and the door hasn't opened. Taking a deep breath she decides to knock although she knows he had already been informed about the arrangement.

Lifting her knuckle, she lets it rap against the cool surface a few times and then let's it fall back to her side.

Nothing happens.

The corridor is quite, the stars glittering outside the huge window. The queen has summoned privacy in the central wing, that is where the elder two lives.

Taking a deep breath she moves away from the door, Hakyeon's door and to the window. The wind from outside caresses her body and she feels a little less lonely.

Jade would always drag her outside during the night. It was his favorite thing to do, take a stroll through the forest in the night. Sometimes even Timeteo and Suengyoon would join them.

The memory brings a smile to her face and she lets herself enjoy it a bit more. Then she slips down onto the floor, making herself comfortable. It was clear he wouldn't open the door and she had nowhere else to go.

Closing her eyes, she imagines herself back home, at the dinner table, surrounded by her friends, the laughs and stories they would share, the way Mino and Jinwoo would cuddle and everyone would tease them. She felt happy for them, she really did. They were perfect for each other. But she couldn't help but be a little jealous at times because she knew she wouldn't have what they had.

 Love.

And now she knew that she was right. She didn't deserve it anyways.

 

 

She has woken up before the sun rose and made sure nobody saw her leaving. It would be the talk of the town. She knows pretty well how castles work. 

Knocking on the Queen's room, she waits as the door is pulled open after a while and she is greeted with the sight of the queen, still in her night wear.

"Why are you so early?" She asks, letting her eyes roam over her form as the girl ducks down and enters into the room.

It must've been lingering sleep if the queen still doesn't realize. It takes another second as the door is closed and the elder woman walks back into the room, "You don't smell like him." She states, taking another trip of her body.

"He didn't touch you, did he?"

She could have told her that he didn't even open his door but decides not to, "No."

"That brat!" The woman doesn't behave like a queen, less so like an alpha. It's almost hilarious.

"He didn't because I said you're beautiful. That brat is doing it because of me," again she wants to tell her that it's not because of her, Hakyeon hates her because of what she did but couldn't. What if the queen hates her as well? Knowing she tricked her son into marriage?

No. She wants to be close to the woman just a bit longer. The truth will come out eventually and she'll hate Meliha but until that time she'll enjoy the older woman's warmth.

"Ahh, go and take a bath. Hopefully the maids won't talk too much about it."

 

Their hope turns out to be a futile one because not only do the maids talk, they do so in her face.

"Why doesn't she smell like Lord Hakyeon?"

"Didn't they have their wedding night yesterday?"

"She must have some problem. She must be unattractive."

"She must be defective."

"He didn't touch her, did he?"

And it goes on. She does her best trying to ignore the comments but being a wolf has it's own disadvantages, such as hightened hearing.

"You're here," someone says and she looks up to see Taehyung take a seat across her at the dining table.

"I am," she answers, finally taking a bite of the toast. It's not what she usually prefers for breakfast but well she ain't home anymore and so she should just take what she gets.

"Don't listen to them," he says after putting some fruit and a load of toasts on his plate, "it's been a while since something interesting happened in this castle."

"Hmm," humming she continues eating as others enter the dining chamber.

The table is almost full but she can't help but notice the absence of few faces. Half of Monsta X is not here, only Hyungwon and Wonho are present, same with BTS, Taehyung, Suga and Jungkook are present, among BToB Minhyuk and Changsub are enjoying their breakfast.

"Where are the others?" She can't help but ask.

"They needed to be home, not all of us can be gone," Hyungwon answers, his plate sporting only a toast and half an apple. The man needs to eat, really. Apart from the blood and all.

"So you take turns?"

"More or less," comes the reply from Minhyuk who is starting at Hakyeon's empty seat at the head of the table.

"Where are your.....," She doesn't get to finish as the doors open and a pissed looking Hakyeon makes his way to his seat followed by Mother Royal. Everyone stands up for her, to which she offers a smile and tells them to stop behaving like that.

"What is she doing here?" Hakyeon asks as soon as he sits down.

"Exactly what I wanted to know. Can't I at least eat my meals in peace now?" Hongbin throws in and she catches a glimpse of his empty plate.

"Behave kids!" Comes the scolding but she is already getting up. It's her fault, she should have known better.

"It's alright My Queen," sliding back the chair, she gets out, "I was done anyway."

Then she has crossed the distance to the door in a second, thankful for her abilities and walks out, closing the door softly behind herself.

The guards give her a curious glance but she ignores it knowing full well that if she wants to survive here, then her mantra will be ,"Ignorance is bliss."

She can ignore the looks, the gossips, the judgements but can she ignore the hatred?

She can't, the downsides of being an Omega.