Eleven

The Curse

It was a simple enough ceremony, in the same forest she had first met them. They were all present, the vampires, tree fairies, witches. From her side only Seunghoon, Timeteo, Jade and Yoonsan were there. Apart from that it was only the council, History, SS501 and 2NE1. 

Honestly she feels relieved that there weren't many people, that it was only simple. Once she had wanted to have a grand wedding, with loads of people, flowers of all kind and music, lots of music and tree fairies could produce the sweetest of music, she had heard.

But that dream was long forgotten, she no longer felt the desire. Even wedding felt like some distant dream.

Was it the same for them? She could she them stand across her, in their traditional clothes with their clan insignia carved on the chest. While their clothes seem to be crisp and elegant, the looks on their faces were anything like that. 

They didn't want this marriage, this political contract. But just like her, their wants wasn't what mattered.

Her palms clutch the side of her own dress, the material crumbling in her hands. It had once belonged to her mother and she had refused to wear anything but that. She needs the strength, and with the worn out silk grey gown she feels like her mother was beside her.

The witch, Jin, starts with the chants and vows, promises, all of which were empty and mechanical. Then he tells them to go ahead with the ring ceremony and she feels Jade move behind her. The bowl having the water of holy spring being presented to her with the rings dipped in it.

She didn't understand the irony of it. The holy water was to keep away the vampires, since they were their worst enemies but weren't her husbands-to- be friends with them?

Either ways that was the custom and so she went through with it, taking out the ring from the bowl and slipping them onto their fingers, one by one, starting from Hyuk.

Once that was done, Taehyung presents the bowl to Hakyeon, nudging him to go ahead with the ceremony to which the later shakes his head no. He didn't want to do it, then he motions for Leo to take his place instead.

She retaliates, almost, the little crowd that was gathered looking at each other and Jade voicing out what she didn't.

"You can't do that!" He moves infront of her, trying to block Leo who has already taken out the ring, "You're the eldest," he points at Hakyeon, "You're their leader, their king. You are supposed to put the ring on her."

"I don't want to," comes the blunt reply.

She watches as Jade's body rumbles with fury, "I won't allow you to disrespect her like this!"

She treasures many things in life but none more than her self respect, which is being challenged right now. Had it been any other time, any other place, the damned Lord would have gotten a piece of her mind but it wasn't. She had proposed this, she had agreed to it. So she grips the fibre tighter and takes a deep breath.

"Jade," she call out. He turns to look at her, "it's okay." 

"But.....," He objects, almost instantly.

"It's okay Jade, let's get this over with," it's hurting him, she can see it, just as much as it is hurting her.

Why was she born a royal? Why was she born a wolf? Why on earth was she born an Omega? She hates it, she hates herself.

Jade fists his hands but moves back, the hatred emanating from him.

Leo takes her hand in his and slips the ring on. It's a simple platinum band with their clan insignia engraved in it. It beautiful, and she feels the instant regret in her gut.

It's okay, she tells herself as another set of bowls is brought forward, the liquid in them gold and glittering, the binding potion. It's for people who want to be bonded to one another despite not being mates. 

Once they drink it, it sealed, their fates and their lives. She could back out, it's her last chance. She could think of some other way, some other plan. She could still save what is left of her dream, of her heart but the bowl is already touching her lips and she feels the bitter liquid drip down and her dream slipping away until it has disappeared altogether.

She did the right thing but she feels anything but that. There is silence and then there is an eruption of well wishes, of long lives and happiness, of eternal love.

She is theirs and they are hers.

And yet her eyes search for a face she hopes she won't see.