Fifteen

The Curse

Did you shoo her away?" Hakyeon asks, eyeing the figure on the tree.

"She didn't even ask where she was supposed to sleep. We were busy setting up the camp and when we turned around, she was already up there," Jooheon tells him, shoving some meat in his mouth. Though he would've preferred blood but they have fed before the start of the journey and so could go on for a few days without it.

"You scared her good Hongbin," Ken comments, eyes trained on the trees.

"Should I wake her? I mean she needs to eat too," Eunkwang suggests, getting up but Ravi stops him.

"Let her be."

He had just gone to sleep when he feels it, the air turning chilly. His body feeling as if he has had frost bite. His ears pick up a 'thud' sound and then there's a small whimper.

"Stupid woman," cursing Hakyeon shuffles out of his hut to see everyone coming out of their's.

"What happened?" A sleepy Hyungwon asks, irritation visible on his features.

"She fell, what else," Hongbin answers, eyes on the small lump by the tree.

"And she's still asleep?" Kihyun is surprised.

"Looks like you found your soulmate Wonnie," Namjoon jokes as Shownu moves ahead to wake the girl.

"Hyung wait!" Hyungwon grabs onto his arm, all sleep vanished from his eyes.

"What?"

"Spirits," Jungkook answers and Hakyeon realizes that the cold he felt has nothing to do with the weather.

She lets out small whimpers as if she's in pain and maybe she is, the spirits feed on other's fears, their weaknesses. He doesn't know what to do. 

Should he try chasing the spirits away? And risk getting possessed by them? Or let her suffer? They will leave once they've tortured her enough.

Her body convulses twice and she lets out more whimpers. And he might not like the girl but he's a king and she's his subject now and so it's his duty to protect her.

But before he can move ahead, Taehyung is already walking towards her, "Kookie help me here."

The younger nods and joins him, "Hyung can you try to hold her down while me and Kookie ward the spirits off?"

Taehyung doesn't specify which hyung he is referring to so Hakyeon takes it on himself. Ravi is coming forward to help which doesn't surprise him because well Ravi is a sweetheart.

But before they can touch her, Jungkook is pulling them back and gripping their wrists, whispering a chant. His skin burns where the youngest witch holds him but neither of them says anything.

"It's to protect you," Jungkook explains and motions for them to hold her down. They do, as the two witches start with another set of chants, their arms linked, lips moving in synchrony and it isn't long before the air around them turns chilly once again, the water drops hanging on the leaf blades freezing over.

Her body starts convulsing wildly and he's worried with the force they are holding her down might leave a few bruises. Then they are surrounded with a blue glow which gradually takes the form of hovering spirits over them.

The temperature goes sub zero and he feels himself shivering. The blue forms starts dissolving slowly after trying to attach onto them and failing, and then trying to get to the others but failing again as the witch duo continue to chant.

Her eyes suddenly snap open as the last of the spirits dissipate and she's staring at them with ocean blue eyes, the mark of an Omega, the mark of submission.

She stares at him for a heartbeat and as the chants stop, she lashes out at them, trying to get away from their grip. 

"Let go!" She's screaming as he and Ravi try to ground her, "Let go!"

"Hey it's okay, they're gone," Hakyeon tries telling her, grasping onto the right side of her body but one look at her and he could make out the glazed over and unfocused gaze she has.

"Get away!" She screams, thrashing wildly, hitting her head on the tree trunk in the process, "Get away! Let go! Let go!"

"Tae!" Hakyeon throws the witch a desperate look, asking him to do something, anything because she is trying her best to get away from their grip, even her claws are out and Ravi got a few scratches.

"I don't know what to do hyung!" The witch seems uncomfortable and helpless, something he's rarely.

"Damn it," he curses as she manages to get him off, Ravi still holding on, trying hard to keep her there. He grips her wrist and then moves into pinning her shoulders to the ground.

"Do something!" He screams.

Her struggle intensifies and even Hyuk has to come forward and hold her legs.

"Let go, please," she whimpers, still trying to get away from their grasp. Namjoon comes forward and presses a hand to her forehead, "I can't calm her on my own. Jin get here!"

The elder hurries forward and replicates his leader, "We gonna try the sleeping spell okay?"

Jin nods in return and starts the chant. She calms down a little, her body becoming lucid, light and they heave a sigh of relief as her lids flutter close and she falls asleep but not before begging, "Please, I am sorry."

Silence envelope them as they look at her, making sure she wouldn't start screaming again. They wait a moment and she doesn't. Now the question remains, What will they do with her?

"What was that all about?" Minhyuk questions, still eyeing the clearing for any signs of ghosts and listening to the trees for confirmation.

"I have no idea," Taehyung answers.

"She was screaming for them to get away and then she's apologizing?" Kihyun muses and Hakyeon can't help but wonder what are her fears? What were the spirits making her see that she wanted to get away from their grip?

Whatever the case, it seems like this woman is hiding more than she is letting on.

He will have to tell I.M and others to investigate further.

"Umm are we leaving her out here?" Hyuk questions, looking at her legs and how she lays there, unmoving.

Nobody answers and he takes it that they will. A part of him wants to scoop her up and keep her safe in his arms because he just saw her in pain and he'd never want her in pain again. The other part, the one that belongs to his pack want to leave her there, she is none of his business.

"I don't think it's wise to leave her alone right now," Taehyung suggests and it's still no answer. Sighing, he moves to pick up the girl, if they won't take care of her then he will.

But before he could, Hyungwon has taken his place, lifting the girl off the ground and into his arms, "I will take her with me."

That's surprising. Why would he want to do that?

"But why...?" Taehyung wonders and looks at Shownu for help.

Shownu, in turn studies the lanky vampire trying to read him. Then he smiles, telling the others, it's ok.

He knows Hyungwon's heart and he knows he thinks it's his fault that they are falling apart. Because he told them about the necklace.

"I am not sharing the hut with anybody so there's enough space for both of us," Hyungwon says and everyone starts moving towards their own sleeping place.

He has barely reached the entrance when Hakyeon is standing beside him, eyes on the girl in his arms, as if trying to decide on something.

"Hyung?" The young vampire asks, shifting the girl closer to himself.

Hakyeon's eyes follow the move and then narrow almost immediately. Then he's reaching for her, "It's okay Won, give her to me," he commands.

"But hyung you're already sharing with Leo hyung," he counters, still not giving her up. They don't like her and leaving her with them doesn't seem like a good idea.

"We'll adjust," there's something in his voice that leaves no room for argument so reluctantly Hyungwon hands over the girl to Hakyeon.

"Hyung...," He wants to tell him to be nice.

"Don't worry," is what he gets in return as Hakyeon walks away.

 

 

He hadn't intended on bringing the woman with him, into his hut but something has felt utterly wrong when Hyungwon had picked her up and taken her with him. It just didn't feel right.

"Yeon?" Leo is surprised to find him depositing the sleeping girl in between them on the soft grass bed.

"She would've attacked Won first thing in the morning. She's not used to vampire presence as we are. I am just saving his ," he explains in one go, lying down as far away from her as possible.

The younger looks at him but remains quiet. Hakyeon's reasons sound like bull and Leo knows he's probably trying to convince himself. But the truth is Hakyeon has a soft heart, he would never want anybody hurt if it could be helped. He's just sensitive and that is why he had been so mean to the girl. Because she has hurt Hyuk's feelings, maybe all their.

So he watches as his Lord lies down, distancing himself from the sleeping woman. He decides to do the same, after all there's nothing else that he could do.