Chapter 18: Sanctuary

Notice Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The heavy drops of snow continued to fall on the ground all day long leading to a very cold weather. The fire place couldn't be any comfier than any other place in the room. Yujin even settled herself right in front of it. The Ahns and The Jangs are staying in one hotel room to celebrate Christmas Eve. As for their friends, they are staying in their own parents' hotel room for the night.

"Yujin here's your cocoa." Mrs. Jang gave her a cup filled with soothing hot choco. "Thank you, Mrs. Jang," Yujin smiled. She held on to the cup for additional warmth. Mrs. Jang went back to the kitchen after that but Mr. Jang soon came.

"Have you got an outfit for tomorrow's Christmas party?" Mr. Jang asked her. He too settled himself on the couch facing the fire place. He's holding a tall glass filled with dark red liquor, similar to what her own father has on his hand after their dinner. Yujin knows that it's the red wine they brought together with them.

"I do sir," Yujin politely replied.

"Do yours match with Wonyoung?"

The Jangs hold an annual party at their ski resort every Christmas. The Ahns usually participate in it by helping them host. Every year Yujin and Wonyoung would be each other's date. At first people thinks it's absurd but their parents have nothing against it so others had to start accepting the idea.

"I honestly don't know sir. My mom picked my outfit this year since I wasn't really able to talk with Wonyoung to plan it."

"I heard you and Wonyoung aren't well?"

Yujin suddenly got quiet. She looked at Wonyoung's direction. The younger girl is with her parents by the dining table. She's probably having a similar conversation to hers. Them asking what's wrong between the two of them. Wonyoung is less vocal than Yujin though so she feels like all Wonyoung's been doing is smile or nod her head.

"We had a misunderstanding sir."

"Well I hope you do something to fix it. I like you being around the house. It's less exciting when you're not there especially since her new friends aren't as comfortable in our house."

Yujin bitterly laughs at Mr. Jang's words. She wanted to say she also miss being at Wonyoung's house. She misses being able to just come and go at the younger girl's room without any of the adults questioning it. She misses the feeling of being able to lay down on Wonyoung's bed while the owner reads a stack of math and science books beside her. She misses listening to the girl mumble the lyrics of whatever song is on in the radio. She misses Wonyoung.

"I'm trying sir but things got a little bit out of hand. It seems like Wonyoung's doesn't want anything that has to do with me," Yujin answered.

"You two are still young. There are things you don't understand just yet but in the right time you will. There's no need to rush anything," Mr. Jang adviced her. "Now can you fetch me my coat? I'm going to head out." Mr. Jang pointed out to the coat stand near the fire place. Yujin obliged and handed with a smile.

"I'm going out to check on the venue," Mr. Jang informed everyone in the room. "Ah, I'll go with you," Mr. Ahn said. He pointed to Yujin to pass his coat. The young girl immediately took it.

"Will you be back before midnight?" Mrs. Jang asked.

"We will," Mr. Jang answered and closed the door.

"Yujin we're going to cut the cake, would you like some?" Mrs. Jang called to her. Yujin looked at Wonyoung who's looking away from her gaze. Yujin nodded her head with a small smile.

"Wonyoung go give this to her," Mrs. Jang ordered. Wonyoung looked at her with wide eyes. "Why me?" Wonyoung asked, even pointing herself. "Why not then?" Mrs. Jang asked back. Mrs. Jang has her eyebrow raised with her eyes squinting. Wonyoung pouted at her but the old woman didn't take back her stare.

"Ah it's okay, Yujin you go get the cake yourself," Mrs. Ahn butted in. Wonyoung secretly heaved a sigh. Yujin saw this though and knew that Wonyoung isn't ready yet to get near or even talk to her. She stood up and went to the dining table to retrieve the cake. She was about to go back to her sanctuary near the warmth when her mom ordered her to eat the cake on the table.

Yujin can't help but notice how often hers and Wonyoung's mom would look at each other then back to their daughters. She also saw how her mom signaled Wonyoung's mom to speak up but the latter shook her head. This kept on going for another three minutes before Yujin decides to cut in.

"Mom is there anything you want to say?" Yujin spoke up. She's half-way done with her cake but she can't enjoy it when her mom is doing weird things in front of her. "Ah, Mrs. Jang and I want to tell you something," Mrs. Ahn said. Yujin raised her brow then rolled her index finger indicating for her mom to continue.

"You two will still be each other's date for the party right?" Mrs. Ahn said. Yujin knew it was a rhetorical question so she didn't bother answering. "We bought the outfits and it matches," Mrs. Ahn continued. Although it was Mrs. Jang who finished it, "We want to see you two in it right now." She said it with an eye-smile similar to Wonyoung's.

Yujin is happy with the situation because it seems like both her parents and Wonyoung's are on her side to get this argument over with. She's about to say yes when Wonyoung stood. "Mom, can we like talk for a minute first?" Wonyoung said. Yujin's smile quickly turned into a frown and her shoulders sogged.

Wonyoung dragged her mom at the fire place. The two were whispering at each other. Wonyoung seems pissed and seeing it in actual makes Yujin even more upset.

"She hates me," Yujin mumbles.

"Aww~ it's okay Yujinie. You two will get along soon," Mrs. Ahn cheered her up.

"I think it's best if I just go back to my room," Yujin says.

"Hey don't be like that." Mrs. Ahn stops her. "It's almost midnight, and your father will be back soon," Mrs. Ahn reason out. Yujin shook her head. "I'm tired mom and I just want to go to bed," Yujin refused. She stood and walk to the fire place not too close to the Jang's but enough to announce her presence.

"Mrs. Jang, I'll be going back to my room. I'm really tired," Yujin says when Mrs. Jang finally acknowledges her. Wonyoung on the other hand stayed unbothered and has her attention on the wood burning in front of her.

"But it's almost midnight. Can't you stay until you open your gifts?"

"I'm really tired Mrs. Jang, and my presence is not that needed anyway."

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter