Trip and Falling

Love Me Back To Life

After dropping Jisoo off to pick her car I headed home and proceeded to freak out. I'm not really sure if I'm more horrified for myself or for Jisoo. My mother can definitely be a handful and I know she already has it in her mind that something is going on between Jisoo and me and there's no changing it. So basically, Jisoo better expect the third degree.

 

"Lisa." My brother pulls me from my thoughts. I turn over to see him standing in the doorway.

 

"Come in bud." I swing my legs to hang off the side of the bed as he plops down next to me.

 

"Mom invited Jisoo to dinner." He says simply, glancing up at me.

 

I choke out a laugh, looking down at my little brother. "Yeah I know. You nervous, buddy?" I pop a brow and wait for his answer.

 

"Not a chance." He says quickly, slapping my arm. "I'm just wondering how you're feeling..." He lets his statement linger in the air as his eyes slowly make their way up to mine.

 

Why does he care what- "Oh my God!" I half scream, cutting off my own thoughts. His eyes go wide like he knows I've figured out something I wasn't supposed to. "You little munchkin." I flip him back onto the bed and start to tickle him. "Spill it, now." I point a playfully stern finger at him with my left hand as my right continues to tickle him.

 

"Okay, okay, okay." He chuckles out, barely able to catch his breath. I narrow my eyes at him as I dismount, allowing him to sit up. "I'll never tell." He says quickly, trying to run away. I grab him and toss his little body back on the bed softly; continuing my tickle fest.

 

"I've got all night Luke." I explain. He chuckles, trying to catch his breath.

 

"No don't make me." He laughs out.

 

"Spill your guts little boy." I tickle him even faster.

 

"Alright, okay!" He shouts through giggle fits. "I tried to set you up with Jisoo because I didn't want you to leave." He finally gets out. I pause my tickling, looking down at my little brother.

 

"What do you mean?" I ask as he sits up, fixing his hair and clothes.

 

"I don't know." He shrugs.

 

Oh no, he's not getting away that easy. "Of course you do Luke, you said it." I turn to face him, pulling my right leg under me.

 

"I don't want you to go, Li." He says softly as he plays with his hands.

 

"Luke buddy I don't really have a choice." I try to explain to him.

 

"Mom told me about your friends; the two that left you." He turns to look at me, his eyes sparkling with unshed tears. "She told me that because they left you, you had to leave too." I place a comforting hand on my little brother's shoulder.

 

"Luke I-" I honestly don't know what to say right now. He's partly right. I did leave because Jiwon and Rose left, but it's so much more than that too.

 

"I thought maybe if I could get you a new friend you wouldn't have to leave again. If you cared for Jisoo enough you'd stay home this time." His tiny eyes bore holes into mine as he awaits my response. My heart breaks because he has no idea how much more I feel at home because of Jisoo and it makes leaving that much harder. And don't even get me started on how hard it's gonna be to leave this little guy. "I just don't want you to go." He adds, finally letting his tears fall. I grab him, pulling him into my arms.

 

"I know bud, I know." I whisper, rubbing circles in his back as he cries into my arms.

 

It's unintentional but we both fall asleep. A day of tears can take a toll on a person. After crying at my new spot and having the talk with Luke, my body is wiped. I stir awake and smile at my little brother curled into a ball, digging into my side. I laugh quietly and stretch out my arm to grab my phone. I look at the time and it's already half past six any other day I wouldn't care but my heart begins to race as I notice the screen of texts from Jisoo. Each one is asking me about dinner. I start to panic again and I try my best not to wake Lucas up.

 

I rush to my bathroom and stare at myself in the mirror. I look awful! What the heck is going on with my face? My eyes are all puffy, my hair looks like a squirrel tried to make a home in it, and I've got those lines on my face when you fall asleep on something. This is not a good look, not a good look at all. I start doing breathing exercises as if I am trying to be at the top of my Lamaze class. I jump when my phone starts to buzz and see that Jisoo is calling. I take a deep breath and try to put on an airy tone, why? I don't know. When it comes to this girl I know nothing.

 

"Hey there, Jisoo!" I stick out my tongue in disgust at how ridiculous I sound.

 

"Uh hey?" She sounds like she's trying to hold back a laugh. I'd laugh at me too if I were her. I sound like an idiot. "I sent you some messages..."

 

"Yeah no I just saw them I'm sorry."

 

"No it's cool. I just wanted to make sure you still wanted me over for dinner..."

 

"No, yeah, right...I mean yeah of course I still want you." I say and my eyes shoot open. "For dinner! I want you for dinner!" Horrified face excels times ten. "I want you over for dinner not that I don't want you for dinner or oh my god..." I want to scream. I want to scream, run away, and hide in that order. I slap my forehead and turn to lean against my sink. This is the worst. She's not saying anything and I'm afraid to even speak. "I would love to have you over for dinner, Jisoo." I say each word slowly, like I'm reading from a card.

 

She giggles and there goes my stomach again. I'm going to blame it on hunger.

 

"Okay Lisa." Her tones robotic and she laughs. I respond with a fake laugh and her laugh becomes livelier as she enjoys the way I just .

 

She calms down and so do I.

 

"It's at seven-thirty and I'm assuming you need my address."

 

I guess correctly and give her directions to my place. She stresses the acceptance of her invitation and I repeatedly tell her it is fine. I'm looking forward to seeing her. I really am. We hang up and I see myself in the mirror and I realize I have only forty minutes until she gets here. Let's get to work Lisa.

 

I've gotten ready in record time. I look in my mirror impressed with myself. I shake my hair out a bit, trying to make it look like that I don't care when I really do. More than I should. More than I thought I would. I run my thumb under my bottom lip, getting rid of the excess gloss. I smile at myself for reasons unbeknownst to me and back away as I hear my mom shout that Jisoo is here.

 

I feel like I'm in high school again and my crush is here. I get sad for a minute and try my best to shake it off. I'm not allowed to be sad anymore, that's what I feel like Rose would tell me. I miss them though and I walk backwards and drop to sit on my bed. I run my hands over my legs and squeeze my knees. I look up at the sound of a knock on my door. I get up to answer the door and already know to look down instead of straight. I smile at Lucas and his eyebrows raise a bit when he sees me.

 

"Wow Lisa." I roll my eyes. "You look really pretty."

 

"Buddy I'm not wearing anything special." I'm really not I'm just in a flowing white tank with a pair of jean capris and sandals. Okay yes I put on makeup but eye shadow and lip gloss doesn't mean anything.

 

"Yeah but still...you look real nice." I breathe out a small laugh and place my hand on his shoulder and lead him away from my room, closing the door behind me.

 

We both walk down the stairs and I overhear my father talking to Jisoo. She's laughing so that's a good sign. Unless he's showing her baby pictures of me, what is that obsession with parents anyway?

 

"So I'm in the portable john..."

 

"Ugh dad, don't tell her that story." I say as he gets more animated over the disgusting story of how he got locked in the portable toilet and how it got flipped over. My mother wouldn't let him in the house. She hosed him down in the backyard and made him bathe in Lucas' kiddie pool for three hours, and then he had to buy him a completely new one.

 

Jisoo looks up at me and my little brother rushes down the stairs and greets her with a hug. I laugh and shake my head as I slowly move towards my dinner guest. I stop at the bottom of the stairs.

 

"Easy buddy, don't break her." She laughs and he moves away bashfully, mumbling out a sorry. She squeezes his shoulder and tells him it's alright.

 

"I'm indestructible, like your sister here."

 

I shake my head and rub the back of my neck shyly. Indestructible is not even close to how I see myself. It's nice to know that she does though. My dad leads Lucas out of the foyer and towards the dining room shouting over his shoulder that he'll finish telling Jisoo the story later.

 

"No you will not." I order and he guffaws as he disappears into the next room.

 

"Don't be such a lame-o. I want to hear the end of the story."

 

"It's nothing appealing I'm telling you that right now." I say as I lean against the banister and she just shrugs.

 

"It's the things that no one else finds appealing that interests me the most." I stare at her, trying to decipher if there's some hidden message behind her statement. She's not revealing anything though and I let it go.

 

I push myself away from the steps and buck my head in the direction of the dining room. I start to walk but I notice that she hasn't moved.

 

"Ya comin'?" She looks around like she trying to find the quickest exit out of here. I don't blame her. I walk closer to her and grab her hand lacing her fingers with mine. "Don't worry...we won't bite." I say with a laugh and she squeezes my hand.

 

"Imagine my disappointment at hearing that." She tells me and quirks a brow. I blush and turn to walk forward before I trip over my feet. "You look really pretty by the way." And there goes my effort at not trying to trip over my feet. I stumble forward slightly and Jisoo's grip on my hand tightens reestablishing my balance. I mumble out a thank you and she just shrugs. "Just stating a fact."

 

My stomach flips. I'm going to need her to stop making it do that.

 

"Oh Lisa you look great." My mom says in surprise when she sees me as we enter the dining room. She's acting as if I've never put any effort into what I've worn in the past.

 

Instead of getting feisty I just smile at my mother and say thank you. She looks down at my hand in Jisoo's and Jisoo is the one to let go before I do. She just smiles embarrassed and places her hand on a seat.

 

"May I?"

 

"Please." My mother offers happily and I don't know what comes over me but I pull her chair out for her and she looks at me. I don't allow myself to freak out though I just raise my brows waiting for her to sit down. She does without allowing another second to pass by and I help her scoot in.

 

I try not to look at the members of my family because I know what they're thinking. I don't need them to think it's something that it's not. Especially since it's not what they think it is...at least I don't think it is.

 

"Lisa, you gonna sit or..." Lucas asks and I realize I'm the only one standing up. I shake my head and take a seat.

 

I force out a laugh, embarrassed at myself. I don't know why I act this way when I get around this girl. It's like she was the bumbling, tripping over her words person when we met and now I'm her. But instead of just tripping over my words I'm tripping over my feet, my words, tables, chairs, couches, hell even other people.

 

"Yeah." I swallow the lemon in my throat as I take a seat at the table next to Jisoo. No freaking out Lisa. This is just gonna be a nice dinner with a friend and your family.

 

 

I'm not sure why I ever expected anything less than what I've gotten this whole night. A nice dinner with my mom and someone she thinks I'm starting some kind of something with. Yeah right!

 

My mom has been either grilling Jisoo or telling her embarrassing stories about me. And my dad of all people has been helping her. I'm really not sure what the heck is going on around here, it's like I'm in the twilight zone.

 

"And that's how Lisa got that scar on her right cheek." I come out of my thoughts as soon as my mom is done telling yet another embarrassing story. I watch as Jisoo, my dad, my mom and even Lucas laugh. That little bugger! I thought he would be on my side.

 

Nope I'm done!

 

"And on that note we're gonna go take a walk." I grab Jisoo's hand, pulling her away from the table.

 

"But I'm enjoying-" I whip my head around to look at her, begging her with my eyes to just come with me; no protesting. "Okay." She nods.

 

"We'll be back." I shout to no one in particular as I rip open the front door, Jisoo hurriedly grabs our jackets hanging on the rack in the hall. Summer is fast approaching but it's not here yet so some spring nights can get a bit chilly. I'm grateful she does because as we step out into the night air a chill hits my spine.

 

"It really wasn't that bad." Jisoo smiles as she hands me my jacket.

 

"Right." I playfully roll my eyes at her as I put on my jacket. "The stories aren't about you."

 

"True." She chuckles and nods. "So where are we going?" She asks after a moment. I glance up at the night sky, taking in the sheer perfection of it. "Nice night out." Jisoo pulls me back to earth. I turn to face her, a smile planted firmly on her face. I'm starting to really envy that smile; so pure and full of joy. Jisoo clearly has this view of life that can make even the smallest things seem like the most amazing thing on the planet.

 

"It is." I agree, glancing up at the sky once more before turning back to the girl who has made her way so effortlessly into my life... into my heart.

 

"I didn't really have a particular place in mind." I answer her earlier question.

 

She shrugs, stepping down off my porch to stand next to me. "Then let's just get lost in the night." She looks down at my hand, lacing her fingers in mine. I can't help but smile at how natural this feels right now.

 

"Sounds good."