Coming Home

Love Me Back To Life

Welp...here goes last chapter

 

 

I wipe my tears away from my eyes. I've been crying for days. It's worse than when I lost Jin. At least I knew I lost him. This...this time I'm not even sure. The site of that building was heartbreaking and the fact that I still haven't heard from Lisa isn't giving me very much hope.

I just can't help but wonder...what if we haven't heard anything from her or the army because she's still inside that building and they can't find her? My negative thinking is interrupted when I hear a knock at my door. I don't tell whoever it is to come in, but they do anyway.

"Jisoo honey? Can you please at least eat something?"

I sigh as my mother comes into my pitch black room. I've covered up my windows pretty well. I already feel dark, might as well let it swallow me up and be one with it.

"Not hungry." I tell her honestly. I haven't had an appetite since I heard and the anxiety I feel every time I hear the phone ring, the mailman pull up, or the doorbell makes it impossible to hold anything down.

"At least try sweetie."

"Mom, please!" I shout. I feel bad as soon as I do. I've been doing that a lot since she left; snapping at people. I know she wouldn't approve. She doesn't want me to be that way. Being with her brings out the best in me but being without her...I barely recognize myself.

I mumble out an apology and I think she nods. The light from the hallway is piercing my vision. I've held myself up in this room for so long that I don't know what time it is. I don't care. Until I know my girlfriend is okay nothing else matters anyway. That's the worst part, the not knowing, it's like the hospital all over again. I get her back for her to leave me again.

I feel myself getting angry at her and I argue that it's not fair that I do. Who am I supposed to be angry with then? I forget my mother's presence and feel a fresh set of hot tears streaming down my face. I don't fight her as she sits on my bed and grabs me.

I bury my face into her neck, scream my tears out. My chest is constricting, I can't really breathe, my head is pounding but it's been like that since I've heard. My mother coos me, rocking me back and forth. I guess you never really get too old to be coddled by your mother when you're in pain. The love of my life is missing and I feel myself getting lost with everyday that passes. I need her back, I need to find myself in her again. She did it for me once before she can do it this time around. She just needs to come back to me... she will come back to me.

Right?...

"Jisoo get up." Jennie pulls me from the bed.

"No." I mumble, burying myself in my mountain of covers. '

"You haven't left this bed in over a week Jisoo, I know what you're going through right now, I promise you I do. But I need you to get out of this bed and take a shower..." I open one eye to look at her. She's pinching her nose closed and making a face. "...then get dressed. I'm taking you somewhere."

"No." I tell her again, turning around to look at my wall. My mom tried this last week. It's not gonna work.

She sighs and sits down on the bed next to me. I feel her place a hand on my back I almost immediately burst into tears. This isn't healthy, it can't be.

"I know that you're worried. But what did you tell me about Lisa a couple months after knowing her?" She questions, I turn to look at her tears slowly making their way down my face.

"That she was one of the strongest people you'd ever met." I get out.

"That's right." Jennie nods and smiles a little as she wipes the tears from my face. "She's strong Jisoo and she made you a promise. Has she ever broken a promise to you?"

"No." I shake my head and sniffle.

"And she won't." I stare at my best friend, relishing in the truth of her words. Lisa hasn't let me down before and I know that she's not going to start now.

She promised to come back and I know she will.

I sit up and swing my legs off the bed.

"Thanks Jen." I force a smile at my best friend.

"It's nothing." She shrugs. "That's what I'm here for. Now you seriously need to go shower. I'm not taking you anywhere with me smelling like a dead hobo." She says seriously, causing me burst into laughter.

"Alright Alright, I got it." I stand up, shaking my head.

"I'll be waiting downstairs." She thumbs towards the door as she stands up from the bed. I nod and she heads downstairs.

I'm not sure if my parent's called her or if she came over on her own free will, but I'm so glad to have a friend like her. I smile, lifting my shirt over my head as I make my way into the bathroom.

"Thank you for bringing me here Jen." I look over to my friend with a sad smile. It's been almost two weeks since I've visited my spot and I'm bit angry with myself. It's not fair for Jin to suffer because I wanna lay in bed all day and mope about my girlfriend not calling or writing me.

"Sure." She nods.

"I'm sorry I've been neglecting you, Jin. I've just been a bit sad that's all. I'm sad because there was an accident with Lisa's unit and I'm not for sure if she's okay or not. I'm just having a hard time with the not knowing."

"Your girls a fighter." I hear Jin's voice and it's not how it usually is. I mean, his voice is the same it's just... it feels like here's here with me, sitting down beside me. I glance over at Jennie and she's just staring out at the ocean. Did she not hear that?

"Jin?" I call to him in a questioning tone causing Jennie to look at me. She's heard me talk to him before but I know she can tell that this is different.

"I'm here baby sis." He says I nearly jumped out of my clothes.

"Here, here?" I question. From the corner of my eye I see Jennie smile and stand up from the sand. I think she's giving me some privacy.

"Yes, here." Jin chuckles and I fight back a wave of tears.

"How?" I choke out.

I can see him shrug in my head as he moves closer to me in the sand and wrap his arms around me.

"How does anything happen really?" He turns to me with a smile.

"I'm sorry that I haven't been here in a while, I've just-"

"I know." He nods, cutting me off. "I'm here to tell you to stop worrying. You have to stop Jisoo."

"Do you know something?" I turn and look at him. He smiles.

"I know that I need you to stop worrying so much. I told you, you're gonna get wrinkles." He tries to touch my face and I imagine slapping his hand away.

"I need to know that she's okay, Jin. I just... I hate that I don't know anything. I'm completely in the dark." I shrug and drop my head. The pain of that statement piercing my heart.

"You love her right?" I turn to look at him and nod. "Then trust her to keep her promise because she loves you too." He finishes his statement and looks off toward the ocean. "I think I miss being here with you the most. Watching you bust your ." He chuckles and I slap his arm.

"I've gotten pretty good now you know." I say matter of factly.

"I know." He nods and stands up. "I've got to go baby sis."

"So soon?" I stand up with him.

"Duty calls." He shrugs and puts that goofy grin on his face.

"You're too lazy to have any type of job big bro, no offense." I smile as he feigns insult.

"I'll have you know I have the most important job any dead person could ever have."

"Oh yeah," I chuckle out. "and what's that?" I pop a brow and put my hand on my hip. He smiles wide before leaning over and ruffling my hair.

"Watching after you. I love you Jisoo." He says as he starts to walk towards the ocean.

"Will you come back?" I yell after him.

"I'm never more than a thought away, Jisoo." And just as quickly as he appeared he's gone. I let a sad smile play at my lips before sighing and turning to head over to where Jennie scampered off to.

"Better?" She asks once I reach her. She knows that coming here usually helps me and I must admit, I do feel a lot better.

"Yeah." I smile and nod. "Come on, let's go." I grab her hand and lead her towards the parking lot.

"Jisoo!" Lucas shouts as Jennie and I enter the house. He wraps his arms around my legs and I can't help but smile down at him.

"Well I'm here too Luke." Jennie laughs and shakes her head at the seven year old.

"I'm sorry." He shakes his head as he detaches from me. Almost every time I've visited the Lisa's house Jennie has been with me and she's of course grown to love the youngest of the clan. "How are you today Jennie?" He looks up and ask as he hugs her legs.

She glances at me and I shrug. She should be used to his advanced vocabulary by now. "I'm doing great buddy." She ruffles his hair and he just chuckles.

"Hey Jisoo, you know my birthday is in three days." He beams up at me.

"I know." I say as we walk towards the kitchen. "What are you gonna be, twenty?" He chuckles, bending over to grab his stomach.

"Eight silly." He continues to laugh as we enter the kitchen.

"Well hello there Jisoo and Jennie, what a pleasant surprise." Mrs. M greets us with a hug.

"Hello Mrs. M." Jennie and I say in unison.

I share a quick look with Jennie and she just nods. She knows I want a minute alone with Mrs. M. This is the first time in a while that I've been alone with her. The last time we talked it was refreshing to know that someone understood exactly what I am going through.

"Hey Luke how about I beat you on one of your video games." Jennie suggests. He just snorts and grabs her hand.

"You'll only beat me if I let you win." There idle chatter grows fainter the farther they walk away from the kitchen. I grab a seat on one of the stools at the island. I clear my throat and Mrs. M looks up at me with a soft smile. She stops looking in her cookbook. I admire how well she's holding herself together.

"How are you sweetie?" She asks me and look down as I pick at my nails. I just shake my head. I won't allow myself to get upset. If Mrs. M can stay strong, then so can I. She comes around and sits next to me. She rests her hand against my back.

"How do you do it?" I force myself to ask. I look at her and my eyes are stinging as I keep the tears from falling.

She sighs and sits up straight.

"I remember who my daughter is. Lisa is a lot of things and I know that she's not invincible. A mother never thinks their kids are, but Lisa will be damned if she allows herself to be proven wrong."

That only helps a little. I know she promised and she's kept them before but the world's a ty place and there is only so much we can do.

"Did you hear..." I let the rest of the question hang in the air. I know she knows what I'm referring to. She only nods. "Have you heard from Lisa recently?"

If anyone would it's her mother but I'm disappointed when she shakes her head. "Not for some time now."

I was afraid of that. I pull my bottom lip into my mouth and control the wave of sorrow that washes over me. She rubs my back gently.

"Jisoo, when you're given something to fight for, no obstacle is unbeatable. She's a lot closer to home than we're giving her credit for."

"So you think she's okay?" I ask hopeful. I'm scared to hope for good things because there's a small possibility that the good is bad in disguise.

"I know she is."

I was really worried, but now I feel guilty for not believing in Lisa. I believe in who we are and who I am to her. We've both come so far, we're so close to the finish line. This can't be the end now. I just nod allowing myself to be as optimistic as Mrs. M.

"Are you free for dinner tonight? I already talked to your parents but I didn't want to assume you were..."

I just nod and quickly accept the invitation. She hugs me, holds me tight and I smile wide. She tells me not to worry and I take her word to heart. I thank her for her reassurance and she shoos me out of the kitchen so she can get ready for her barbecue dinner later. I head into the living room to grab Jennie. She's in the middle of some game with Lucas and I have to practically force her away from the game. Lucas offers a rematch later and I smile as she eagerly takes him up on it. I hug the little guy goodbye and I leave the small family behind until it's time to see them again in a few short hours.

"Thanks again for taking me out. I needed it."

"I know." My best friend smiles brightly as I open the car door. I just shake my head at her.

"Modesty, you ever met him?" I quirk a brow.

"Who?" She asks. I chuckle, closing the door behind me.

"See you tomorrow?"

"Maybe." She shrugs. "You might be busy though. You know... laying in her bed the whole day."

I roll my eyes and she just flashes a bright grin before pulling off. Obviously I'm trying not to be in bed all day, that's why I'm asking her to hang out. I check the mailbox and see there's a letter from Lisa. My heart skips a beat as I bend over and release a sigh relief because it's postmarked after the newscast. I feel as though a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I wonder why Mrs. M didn't say anything about getting a letter from Lisa, did she not get one?

I waste no time opening the letter. It's so good to see her hand writing again. I never thought something as simple as seeing her handwriting again could be so important.

I smile as I read the first line. I know that she's sorry. She knows I'm gonna yell at her again for disappearing on me. My smile quickly fades as I read the next line. I knew that Sgt. Michael had passed but I'm not sure why it's a bit harder hearing it from Lisa. I read as she tells me she misses him and that she wants me to go with her to give his mother his dog tags. Of course I will. I continue to read about her training recruits and how she wants to talk about the future, after we have a really long make out session. I smile as I reach the front door of my house. I finish up the letter with her saying by the time I read this she'd be here.

I wish.

I fold up the letter and stuff it back into the envelope.

I walk into my house to find my pup and parent's sitting on the couch.

"Hey guys." I greet them as I place the rest of the mail on the table in the foyer.

"Hey honey, how was your day?" They turn and smile.

"Why are you both smiling so hard?" I question them with a confused look.

"You went out today." My mom beams at me.

"Mhm." I nod. "You know that Jennie, she's hard to say no to."

"Sure sure. Are you feeling any better?" My dad asks.

"Actually I am." I smile and wave the letter in the air. "I got a letter from Lisa. She's okay."

"Oh that's wonderful honey. I bet her parents are so relieved." My mom stands up from the couch.

"Actually, Lisa was only able to get one letter out this time around. So I've got to tell them. I was just going up to my room now to call them." I tell my mom who nods and sits back down. Her and my dad share a look before both turning back to me.

"We're glad things are okay Jisoo." My dad smiles and nods once. I do the same before calling to Dalgom to 'come.' He hops down and runs over to me happily. I've been a bit neglectful of him as well.

"Hey boy." I say and enthusiastically rub his fur. He barks and follows me up to my room. I bend down to rub him happily as I open my door and enter. He barks again causing me to look up.
 

Oh.

My.

God.

"You're..." I trail off as her lips curl up into a smile.

"I am." She nods and stands up from my bed.

"How did you... when did you... ooooh my sneaky sneaky parents." I ramble causing her to giggle. "You're really here. You're right here." I move closer to her. Dalgom taking a seat by the door. I think he can sense what's about to happen. "I..." I pause, trying to find the right words as I stop in front of her. She's so close I can smell her. Ugh! She smells heavenly even after being on a plane for God knows how long. "You're..." I start again. No words seem to be the right words, so I do the only thing that comes to mind at the moment...

"Ow." She half shouts, Dalgom barks as she grabs her face and gives me a confused look. "What was that for?" She questions as she continues to hold the spot I just slapped.

"Don't you ever scare me like that again, Lisa Manoban. Do you understand me?" I tell her firmly. Her eyes shrink back to their normal size as she nods, pulling her hand down from her face. Oh no, it's red. I hit her too hard.

"I promise jeez." She says as her lips curl up into a smile. "But you didn't have to-"

Yeah she's done talking now. I grab the back of her head, pulling her into a kiss. It's been months since I've felt her lips on mine and I can't wait another second. The kiss quickly turns heated as I part my lips and allow her to deepen it. I'm trying to keep it together right now, knowing that my parents are right downstairs and my dog's gaze is on us.

"Jisoo.." Lisa pulls back and tries.

"No no." I cut her off, kissing her again. She chuckles and pulls back again. I whimper and she just pecks me.

"As much as I would love to keep kissing you right now, you're the first person I came to see and I'm afraid that if I don't stop now, I won't be able to." She swallows thickly the shade her usually brown eyes are tell me that she's not joking.

"Fine." I whine out. "But you promise me that later we'll-"

"Oh I promise." She says in a raspy tone and I seriously fight the urge to moan. She places another chaste kiss on my lips as she laces our fingers together. "I can't believe you slapped me." She smiles and I shrug.

"I think you deserved it." I smile.

"I definitely did not." She pouts and I lean over and kiss it away quickly. "Thank you." She perks up.

"Lucas is gonna go nuts." I chuckle at the possible reactions of the seven year old. Wait... I go back to Jennie's statement in my head. "Did everyone but me know you were coming back today?" I stop my girlfriend as we reach the steps.

She shrugs and smiles. "Maybe."

"Ugh! Why am I always the last to know everything?"

"It was supposed to be a surprise."

"Whatever." I grumble out and she chuckles. "Come on boy." I call to my pup and he runs out of my room and down the stairs with us.

"You guys ready to head out?" My parent's ask once we reach the bottom step.

"Seriously?" I turn to my girlfriend. "My parent's before me?" I quirk a brow.

"Someone had to let me in so I could surprise you." She's about to smile but the glare I'm giving her makes her change her mind. My parents laugh at us.

"Oh that's some mark there Lisa." My dad says, examining Lisa's face. Lisa glances at me briefly.

"Yeah, I ran into a door." She replies coolly. "A hand shaped door." She adds causing both my parent's to laugh and Dalgom to bark. My mom shakes her head as we all start towards the door.

"Well I'm sure that door is..."

"Don't even mom." I cut her off with narrowed eyes. She throws her head back in laughter before pretend zipping her lips and tossing the key away.

"To the Manoban residence we go." My dad says unnecessarily as he closes the door behind us.

I haven't let go of Lisa's hand since we left the house. She's laughing at how tightly I'm holding it but I don't care. It'll be a while before I let it go. It's a pry out of cold dead fingers situation. My parents are talking to her about her flight home and how much they've missed having her around. I'm staring at her like some mute. I'm still taking her in. The amount of joy I'm feeling is insurmountable. I don't even realize that we pull up in front of Lisa's house. My parents let Dalgom out and I take a few minutes with my girlfriend.

"We don't have to rush in babe." She tells me.

"I know, I just want you for just a few minutes longer." I let a small smile appear as she squeezes my hand tighter. "I know there's gonna be a ton of people that knew you were home excited to see you."

She laughs softly at my scowl. I kiss the spot that I slapped feeling a tiny bit bad about it. Only a tiny bit though.

"I honestly just wanted you to be the first person I saw. I had to let my mom know I was here or I'd have that over my head for the rest of my life."

I just nod. Technically my parents were the first people that she saw but I won't rain on her parade. Her gesture was sweet.

It's such a surreal feeling to have her in front of me right now. I've spent the last few weeks not knowing if she was okay and now she's here and I just... I wanna stay here in this moment with her forever.

"I'm sorry I don't know why I keep..." She shushes me and kisses both my eyes.

"It's okay." She shakes her head. "I cried before you got home." She turns completely to look at me. "I promise that from this day forward you'll only cry tears of joy with me." I breath out a soft laugh at her promise. I believe that to be true. I'll forever believe every promise she makes me.

"I love you, Lisa." I say barely above a whisper. She leans her head against mine, closing her eyes.

"You're everything that's kept me going these past months. I love you so much Jisoo. I don't know if I would have made it without the thought of knowing I get to come home to your beautiful face." I close my eyes at her words. Leaning forward a little to kiss her lips. She has no idea how much it means to me to hear that.

"Lisa." I choke out, pulling back as the tears fall again.

"I know baby." She nods against my head. "I know." She lifts my hand up and places it over her heart. "I will never leave you again. I promise."

"I don't think I could take it." I take a couple sharp breaths and Lisa opens her eyes, wiping away my tears yet again.

"Neither could I." She says with conviction. I believe every word that leaves her lips because she's never made me believe any different. I release a deep breath as my girlfriend smiles lovingly at me. She leans in and kisses me, taking my breath away. I will never get tired of this feeling. I could kiss her everyday forever. She pulls back, both our chest heaving up and down. "Ready?" She asks and though I'd rather just sit in the car and make out with her all day I know that we have to make an appearance, so I just nod. We get out of the car and walk hand in hand up the driveway. The amount of cars in the driveway lets me know how many people are here... everyone.

We both take a deep breath as we enter the house. It's a quiet walk from the front door to the backyard. As soon as everyone spots my girlfriend they all cheer. She lowers her head, slightly embarrassed as she wraps her arm around my waist. I do the same as we head into the small crowd together. The only way she and I should ever be.

 

 

 

 

 

the end