Never Alone

Love Me Back To Life

"Lisa." My mother gently shakes me awake. I open my eyes a little to look up at her. Jisoo cuddles further into my side and I close my eyes to keep from jerking away in pain. I love being close to her, but with healing ribs it can be a little excruciating at times. "You're having a going away party today." She whispers. My eyes shoot open.

"No, mom." I answer in a harsh whisper, shaking my head.

She purses her lips and narrows her eyes at me. "Non-negotiable." She shrugs.

"Mom, I just wanna spend my last couple of days with you guys and Jisoo." I try to explain.

"I know honey but you have other people that care about you and want to see you off. It's not going to be anything obnoxious." She shakes her head. Why don't I believe her?

I roll my eyes and sigh. "Fine." Not like I have a choice. She smiles and points to my girlfriend.

"Her parents are coming over in a bit so I would um... make sure I'm not doing anything on the-"

"Oh my God mom, get out!" I almost shout, Jisoo stirs and my mom chuckles and shrugs.

"I'm just saying, not all parents are as cool as me about se-"

"Don't you dare finish that statement." I point a finger at her with narrowed eyes as I see Jisoo's eyes flutter open.

"Your party starts at noon." She smiles and leaves my room.

"Was that your mom?" Jisoo looks at me with one eye open. Clearly her eyes want to stay closed right now. She's adorable.

"Mhm." I nod and lean down to kiss her.

"Gross, I have morning breath." She pushes me back.

"I love you." I smile down at my girlfriend. "Morning breath and all." I add and lean down to kiss her again.

"Ew." She pushes me away again with a smile, sliding from underneath me.

"Boo you!" I protest as she sits up on the bed.

"What'd your mom want?" She questions as she takes her tie off and reties her hair into a loose ponytail.

"She was telling me about the stupid party she plans on having for me today." I pout and Jisoo doesn't kiss it away so I pout harder, hoping that will make her kiss me.

She chuckles and shakes her head. "I'm not kissing you, Lisa. Not until I go and freshen up."

"This is cruel and unusual punishment you know. It's against my eighth amendment right as an citizen of this country."

She chuckles again, leaning over to me. I'm thinking I'm about to get this make out session I've been wanting all morning but no! She tricks me and places a chaste kiss on my forehead and stands up from the bed. "And I already knew that." She says matter-of-factly as she heads towards the bathroom. Wait what?

"Say what now?" I question my girlfriend. She turns back to me, stopping right outside the bathroom door.

"Your mom told me when you first got home from the hospital a week ago that she was throwing you a going away party." She shrugs and turns, but I stop her.

"Jisoo Kim!" I half shout. She giggles turning back around. "You knew that my mom was throwing me a party and you didn't warn me about it so I could strategically plan to not be here?" I rebuke my girlfriend.

"That's exactly why I didn't." She says popping a brow. "Plus where you gonna go anyways?" She glances down at my broken leg then back up to my eyes.

"I... I woulda..." I pause trying to think of something witty. Hmmm... I got nothing. "That's beside the point." I point an accusatory finger at her. "The point is, you're my girlfriend and we're supposed to be on the same side, not you in cohorts with my mother!"

She chuckles again. Oh well she's just chuckling chuck today isn't she!

She walks back over to me when I fold my arms over my chest and sits down on the bed. "Your mom went through a lot in the past month Lisa." She pauses and grabs my hands. "I know that you don't want to be surrounded by a bunch of people right now, I don't either. But your mom needs this. She almost lost you Lisa. We all did and all she wants is for the people that were there for you when you were in the hospital to be able to see you off. She just wants all the people you love and that love you to be able to do that. Can you let her?"

She stares at me, awaiting my answer. Why does she always have to be the voice of freaking reason. I playfully roll my eyes knowing she's right. I nod and she smiles.

"Now can I go freshen up or not?" She asks, standing up from the bed. I raise my brows as I pull her back down and into me. Stealing a kiss. But it isn't a peck, it's the kiss I've been wanting all morning. And this time she doesn't protest.

When I feel content enough for the moment, I let her go and she stands with a smile. "I'm going now." She thumbs towards the bathroom.

"You can." I tilt my head and smile. She shakes her head as she turns and heads into the bathroom.

Sigh... I'm really gonna miss all this when I leave.

"Lisa Manoban you stop that right now!"

I stop my chair midway down the hall. I've been trying to help all morning. I've been over the whole coddling things since day two. Well everything except the sponge baths Jisoo gives me. I'll fake any kind of injury to keep those going. I've got a stack of plates on my lap and yes normally this is a bad idea but I couldn't stand the fact that everyone is running around getting things ready and I'm a vegetable. Even Lucas is helping! He's blowing up balloons.

My mother said it wasn't going to be obnoxious. What on earth is more obnoxious than balloons? I cringe as I hear the sound of the noise maker blare through the air. I stand corrected.

"Lucas stop blowing those in the house." My mother pleads my younger brother and he giggles as he runs through the hall with another pack of balloons under his arms. He passes me and shouts a quick hello.

"Hey bud." I shout back as he disappears into the kitchen and out into the backyard.

My mother comes to me and grabs the plates off my lap. She's looking down at me and I look away. My feelings are a bit hurt. I'm not some feeble person that needs help...well in a way I am, but I can still do something, anything. Hell this party is for me, the least I can do is bring plates outside.

"Lisa just relax." She orders then leaves me in the hallway. I grit my teeth in slight frustration. I wish I could storm out of the house right now but I don't think wheeling out will have the same affect. I try anyway.

I get to the front door and go to open it. The sound of a throat clearing stops my advances. I don't need to look to know who it is. I just drop my head.

"Babe I can't be here."

"You promised." She reminds me.

I stay facing forward and I can hear her walking towards me. I want to be mad because I'm useless and I hate feeling this way. The last thing I want to do though is take it out on her. Even if she is helping too. She's setting up chairs while dad hoses down the tables, sets up the grill, and putting up the tent. See obnoxious item number three. I growl and open the door anyway. I just need air. I wheel outside and go down the small ramp my dad made for me.

"Lisa!" My girlfriend yells after me, but I don't listen. I'm feeling claustrophobic and yes I'm going to miss all this, but I haven't been babied so much in a really long time. If there is a female version of emasculating, this would be it for me.

I let the wheels freely roll through my hands. I jerk forward and I know Jisoo has grabbed the handles.

"Jisoo." I whine.

"Why are you being a brat?" I gasp highly offended. I turn the wheelchair around keeping a tight grasp on the wheel making sure I don't roll back.

"I am not!" I shriek and she pops one brow up. We have a staring contest, she breaks first and I feel a sense of pride rush through me. I'm so pathetic, gloating at winning a staring contest. How sad is that?

"Fine, go." She says harshly and I think I may have hurt her feelings. I didn't mean to. I drop my head back and pop it back up.

I push hard against the wheels and catch up to her retreating body. This semi-hill is no joke but it feels good to be doing some kind of work.

"Jisoo!" She stops at the cracking in my voice. She can tell I feel bad and I do. I manage to reach her, slightly out of breath. "I'm sorry okay I just..." I stop, not entirely sure of how to explain why I'm acting the way that I am. It's a mix of emotions and I'm not sure which to pick. I'm silent for too long so my girlfriend speaks up clearly understanding me better than I understand myself.

"We're going to miss you too Lisa. That's why we want this, why we need this." She bends down in front of me, placing her hands in my lap. I'd hold them but I don't want to chance an impromptu ride down the driveway.

I bow my head, she meets me half way and we rest against each other.

"How do you always know the right thing to say?" She chuckles lightly, and I groan again with the chuckling.

"How about I sneak you in the back and you can set the table?"

I just nod, a smile spreading across my face. I pucker my lips and she kisses me softly. That's my thank you and she deepens it making it her 'you're welcome'.

She manages to keep my mother from coming out into the backyard just so she can't ban me from chores. It's easy to miss chores when all you do is lie around.

With something to do the time goes a lot faster, the backyard is looking very festive with streamers, balloons everywhere and lights because apparently the non-obnoxious party may go into the night. The bell rings and Lucas goes eagerly to greet the first set of guest. I can tell by the bark that it's  Jisoo's family.

Jisoo bends down and greets her pup. She ruffles his hair he can't contain his excitement. He jumps all over her and I smile because it has been a while since she's been home for an extended period of time. I've been hogging her and I'm grateful that my parents didn't give me a hard time about having my girlfriend stay with me. Most especially I am grateful to her parents for not making it a big deal for her to not be home.

"Lisa!" Mr. Kim greets and I smile widely. I wheel the chair easily through the grass. It's not as difficult as one would think. My mother keeps her lawn flawless so it's as smooth as wheeling across the sidewalk.

"Hey Mr. Kim." He bends down and I wrap my arms around his neck, giving him a gentle squeeze.

"How you feeling?" He asks, sincerity laces his voice and I quickly appreciate the party that my mother is throwing for me. I get to see all these people that have warmed my heart from the block of ice that it was. I wasn't particularly cold but I was numb and all the people that helped smooth me out are going to be here. I throw a quick glance at my girlfriend as she talks to Dalgom and Lucas. She had the most influence of all.

"I've been good, Jisoo has been taking really great care of me."

"Yeah she's got a tender hand. She gets it from her mother." He says cutely as his wife appears behind him and rubs his back. She leans down and gives me a hug.

"Is that my daughter I see over there?" She shouts and Jisoo leans back in laughter. She quickly gets up and greets her parents.

"My how you've grown." Her father quips, his hands gripping her shoulders, she rolls her eyes and swats his hands away.

"I'm sorry I've been monopolizing her." I say bashfully and Mrs. Kim waves a dismissive hand.

"Meh, keep her I've had it up to here with her!" She lifts her hand high over her head adding onto her joke and we all share a laugh. I on my bottom lip as I watch my girlfriend playfully grimace. I plan on keeping her for as long as I can.

"I thought we had joint custody." I lean to the side as I hear another voice coming from behind Jisoo's parents.

I smile when I see her best friend coming out of the house into my backyard. Jisoo's parents give us a minute and separate. Jisoo's dad hangs with mine and my mother with Jisoo's. I wish I could stand up and greet Jennie, last time she saw me I went all soldier on her and gave her this tough guy persona that I know that I have. Now though, I'm a bit broken and not very intimidating. I prepare myself to try and be tough because with this girl it seems it's necessary but she's different now. She bends down and greets me with a hug.

I look up at Jisoo and she's smiling. Guess she's finally warmed up to me. At least that's what I thought until I feel a swift smack on my arm. My brows furrow in shock as I rub the offending area.

"Uhm...ow." She points a finger at me threateningly.

"Don't go scaring me like that."

I chuckle softly. "I'm sorry I didn't even know you liked me all that much." I half joke because come on let's be honest she's a little hostile. She tuts then stands akimbo.

"Of course I like you, if I didn't you think I'd let you steal all my best friend's attention. I would've visited you in the hospital but I figured you'd want space with all the other people that may have been popping in."

"You would've still been welcomed." I answer sincerely and I can feel Jisoo's eyes dancing back and forth between the two of us. She's happy we're getting along. Frankly, so am I.

The guests pile in and so does the food. Clearly my mother needs to look up the word obnoxious because this is everything she said it wasn't going to be. I knew it would though. She's just into spoiling the people she cares about. I can't fault her for that. Plus she looks happy and that's all I wanted.

All the couples are mingling, they all rotate talking to me. They minimize my mobility most likely out of courtesy. They give me well wishes; let me know I'm in their prayers and thoughts. I'm truly grateful for their kindness. Jisoo is by my side the entire time, aiding me with whatever she can think of. She gets me drinks, food off the grill, throws away my trash and I want to scold her but I know she's doing this for herself as well. Being sweet is her nature and handicap or not she'd do all this regardless.

A couple hours after the barbecue my mother informs us that dinner is almost ready. I don't know where anyone is going to put all the food and desserts she's cooked but we'll find room. We gather around the string of tables, everyone is paired up with their spouse, except Lucas and Jennie. Lucas is sitting with Dalgom by his side. I laugh as Dalgom sits diligently at the table. Normally my mother would protest to a dog at a table but clearly Dalgom isn't a normal dog. Jennie doesn't seem to mind that she's not paired as she sits next to her best friend that she probably hasn't spent any proper time with since my arrival.

There's a feast in front of us and I'm not surprised. It is a dinner cooked by my mother. I'm pretty sure she raided every grocery store within a ten mile radius and took everything off the shelves.

"Apparently it's Thanksgiving in June" My father jokes and everyone gives a little laugh. My mother stands up and fixes her blouse. She clears and all attention is on her.

I slip my hand into Jisoo's underneath the table and she leans over and places a kiss on my cheek. I smile widely and I'm clearly an idiot in love. I quickly kiss her soft lips before turning back to my mom.

"I want to thank everyone for coming. It means a lot that you're here to see Lisa off." She looks at me and takes a deep breath. I see my father grab her hand giving her his support. She chokes out a laugh over a bit of tears. I look down sadly and I know she's thinking about the accident. "Lisa, my baby, you are such a beautiful, strong woman and your father and I love you so much. We are so proud of you, and the woman that you've become. I know you are a very special person to each of our guests here. I gleam with pride are the person you are. That you are so loved and I think I speak for everyone here when I say that you will be missed, be safe, and return to us soon."

I swallow the lump in my throat as I bow my head in response to my mother's speech. She blows me a kiss and I blush. I let out a puff of air and gather up some courage.

"I'd like to say something before we dig into this obnoxious feast." I press the word obnoxious and look at my mother, she just gives me a cheeky smile. "I'd stand but you know, I've only got one leg."

Everyone laughs and my nervousness dissipates slightly. It goes away completely when I feel Jisoo squeeze my hand. It's a gentle reminder that she still has it. I'm so used to it being connected to mine that I forget that it's there at times.

"As my mom said thank you for coming. A lot of you haven't been in so long, and the rest have stormed into my life." I take a few seconds to direct my gaze to the specific people of each category. "When I came home I didn't imagine that I'd be leaving surrounded by this many people. This is the first time that I've found it so hard to say goodbye and I think it's because it's the first time I've never wanted to leave. It was hard being back at first, but now I can't imagine myself anywhere else. I've rekindled relationships and started new ones. Most of all I fell in love." I look at Jisoo and she's looking down in her lap. Clearly I'm embarrassing her but I need her to know that it's the hardest leaving her.

I gently turn her face towards mine and she's fighting tears. One sneaks its way from her eye and I brush it away with my thumb.

I hear Lucas mumble an 'aw.' I smile as I continue to talk to my girlfriend.

"You are not what I expected to find when I got back but I'm so glad that you found me. It hurts just thinking about being away from you. It physically causes me pain to the point that every injury from this accident can't even compare. I cannot wait to come back and start my life with you. You are the greatest surprise I could never have known to ask for and I love you so much."

We both forget that there are other people at this party. She leans closer to me and kisses me lovingly.

"I love you too." She replies sweetly and her eyes dart towards the rest of my guests reminding me of their presence. I clear my throat and focus on all their smiling faces.

"I appreciate every single one of you and the part that you've taken in my life. I can't thank you enough, your continuing support and love keeps me strong and though I leave in a couple days, this is not goodbye, it's an I'll see you later."

My dad puts both pinkies under his tongue and blows a shrill whistle. It causes Dalgom to bark and everyone cheers. I laugh at the group of people around me. I look around as they dig in and I get a little choked up. I came here thinking I had no one, and they all proved me wrong. I look as Jisoo grabs my plate and starts to pile food on, I just laugh quietly. Especially her, she's definitely done a great job in letting me know that I'll never be alone. Not while she's around.