Saying Goodbye

Love Me Back To Life

 

I take a sharp breath gathering as much as I can into my lungs. My eyes slowly open and I see the sun peeking through the trees. How'd I get here? I slowly sit up, confirming my surroundings. The last thing I remember was getting into my car and going after Jisoo. I carefully push myself off the ground, it's clear something happened. I am not supposed to be waking up in my spot. I'm clearly out of it.

 

I take in my surroundings; how warm the sun that's peeking through the trees feel, the sound of the water running through the creek, the green grass.

 

"You need to leave." I snap my head in the direction of her voice.

 

"I don't even know how I got here."

 

"Doesn't matter how you got here as long as you don't stay." She's walking closer to me. It feels different this time though. It's not like all the other times where I've imagined Rose in front of me it's like she's actually here... right in front of me.

 

She's only inches away, her arms crossed over her chest, her hazel eyes burning a hole into my face. I inhale deeply and I can actually smell her. I'm tripping out right now. I slowly lift my arm to touch her and she smacks it away. I felt it!

 

"What the hell is happening right now!" I scamper back because Rose can't be touching me. She's dead! In my attempt to get away from the girl that I wanted nothing more than to be close to again, I fall backwards but I don't land on the ground; I'm caught in burly arms I used to know so well. He laughs and my heart is racing. I'm truly terrified. This is the type of stuff that gets people into strait jackets and lifting their tongues to show nurses they took their pills.

 

This is a dream.

 

Isn't it?

 

"You're not dreaming." Jiwon tells me. Get out of my head Jiwon. He mumbles a sorry and my eyes widen in horror.

 

"Someone tell me what the hell is going on!" I shout as I jump out of his arms. "You guys are dead! I went to your graves, I carried guilt, I...I..."

 

"I told you she'd freak out." I hear a voice that isn't familiar to me. He appears on the other side of the creek. He waves at me and I don't know why but I wave back. He smiles and it looks so much like Jisoo's.

 

"I'm assuming I don't have to introduce myself." He says as he hops from one boulder to another to join me and my apparently not dead best friends. I just shake my head. I can't speak. Apparently I don't need to because they can read my thoughts.

 

"Jin." I answer knowingly.

 

"In the flesh!" He presents himself and spreads his arms out bowing a little. He pops back up and smirks. "Well I mean not really in the flesh but you get what I mean."

 

"No... no I don't actually."

 

"Can we stop pussyfooting around? She needs to leave before it's too late." Rose orders as she sits on a rock and leans back against her hands.

 

"Rose calm down we have time, stop being such a brat." Jiwon orders then looks at me. "We have to clear stuff up for her."

 

"Yes please do." I'm not calm I sound calm but the rate at which my heart is beating is astronomical.

 

"Well..." Jin starts then clears his throat. "You're in limbo and we're just here to ya know send you on back." His voice is so friendly and warm. The way he talks shows off this nonchalant persona. His humor is audible.

 

"Yeah Lis people need you. You need them." Jiwon adds. He smiles at me and I forgot just how much it warms me up.

 

"You're stronger than this, you can't let a tree be the end of you. If you stay here and miss your chance I'm gonna kill you." I smirk at her words. She was always so hostile. Her feistiness was always so appealing.

 

"I'm sorry that..." I try to apologize for my friends to Jin, he shakes his head and places his hand on my shoulder.

 

"Jiwon apologized enough for all three of you...I think he'll go eternity doing so. Just take care of my sister. She really loves you."

 

"I love her too." I say honestly, I steal a quick glance at Rose and her eyes are nowhere in my direction.

 

"I know, I kind of got that the other day when you were at our spot." He laughs softly and removes his hand.

 

"I miss you guys." I tell them. Rose gives Jiwon and Jin a look and I know what she's telling them. She's telling them that I need to leave. But I can't go yet, I just got here. I'm here and I see them and I can touch them and... I just can't go yet. I have so much to say to them. So much I need to get out.

 

I open my mouth to start... to say something... anything, but nothing comes out.

 

"You've said everything you need to say." Rose explains. "You don't need to apologize, feel guilt, regret, or anything. We're with you all the time. You can feel us because you're fighting for your life right now. You're too close to being what we are and I need you not to be." She moves closer to me, finally allowing her eyes to fall on mine. God, how I've missed those eyes. "You need to go back right now. Say you're goodbyes, your I love yous and get your hugs until your time comes again. It's not right now though. I didn't fall in love with a weak person, you're a fighter and I need you to fight. I wasn't as strong as you and maybe that's how it was meant to be. Don't feel bad, you're happy so we're happy." She finishes off with her natural smirk and my heart clenches. I pull her into me, wrapping my arms around her tightly. I close my eyes, relishing this moment. She feels amazing. It feels amazing to hold her again. The girl I loved for so long... I didn't think I'd get to do this. But as amazing as she feels I know in my heart that Jisoo is the girl I was always meant to love.

 

I let her go and she gives me a soft kiss on the lips. It's gone before I even realize that it happened. I touch my lips and give a sad smile. This is goodbye. I turn to Jiwon and he pulls me into a giant bear hug. He lets go after I pat his back and laughs softly. He apologizes and I honestly wouldn't mind if he hadn't. It felt nice. I turn to Jin and hug a man I never got to meet.

 

His arms aren't as burly as Jiwon's but his embrace is just as inviting. I take in his scent he smells a bit like the salt air from the beach mixed with coconut, a scent that was in his wax for his surfboard. His hug gets a bit tighter towards the end then he lets go.

 

"Thanks for being there for her." He tells me and I just nod.

 

"Now seriously it's time for you to leave." I look at the girl who never got to be mine, but I know she's only rushing me to get to the one I want to be with.

 

"And how exactly do I leave?" I ask looking around.

 

"Walk away from us." Jiwon says simply.

 

"But you can't look back." Rose adds, giving me a sad smile. She's telling me that I have to let them go. Not that I can't ever think of them or miss them, just that I have to move forward with my life in order to live.

 

I take one final look at all of them and then turn to walk the path that I'd walk if this were reality. I walk forward, off the beaten path back to what I've fought so hard to get. I got it once and I'll get it again. I won't give up.