Heartstrings

Love Me Back To Life

I rub my eyes to help rid the tired from them. I'm getting up to meet with Jisoo. She asked me to join her and I can't ever say no to her. I don't think I ever will. It's still dark out and I tiredly get dressed, slipping on a pair of sweatpants and a light sweater for the brisk morning air. My phone goes off and it's Jisoo is letting me know she's on her way.

 

I quickly go through my routine and quietly make my way downstairs. It's too early even for my mother to be up. Or so I thought. I reach the bottom step and see the kitchen light is on. I shake my head and walk inside the room.

 

"Mom what are you doing up it's four thirty in the morning."

 

"Couldn't sleep." She says quietly and I try my best to read her. She's blowing on her hot chocolate and I grab a stool at the island. I scratch my forehead and run my hand down my face.

 

"I love you mom."

 

She smiles as she holds the cup up to . She mumbles an "I know." I'm brought back to several weeks prior and my discussion with my little brother. I remember how he told me how she cries herself to sleep sometimes. How she lingers in my room, praying for my safety, for my return. I sigh and look at the woman who's given me everything and I realize that my theory of 'at arms length' can't and won't work.

 

"Where you headed off to so early in the morning?"

 

"Jisoo is picking me up to watch the sunrise." I answer easily and I think the fact that I don't put up a fight catches her off guard. I further the conversation and discuss the gift I recently bought for Jisoo. My mother smiles as I give her a full on description of the small gesture in response to Jisoo's insurmountable affection.

 

She leans on the counter and giggles at the small jokes that I'm making. I raise my brows as she stifles a yawn and I stand up, walking to the other side of the counter. I take the cup from her hands and slide it away from her. Nodding my head in the direction of the stairs, I gently order my mother to go to bed.

 

I pull her in for a hug and her grip tightens. Usually I'd make a joke about how she's squeezing the air of me but I relent; squeezing just as tight. She gives me a kiss on the cheek and I watch her leave the kitchen. The timing is perfect as I feel my phone buzz and see that Jisoo is waiting outside for me. I turn the light off as I leave the kitchen and blindly make my way towards the front door. I grab the small gift bag before I head out of the house, quietly closing the door behind me.

 

I turn my face away from the bright headlights that beam up the driveway. She turns them off and I briskly jog down the driveway. Some may think I'm skipping but get this straight...Lisa Manoban does not and will not ever skip. I get inside the car and I'm greeted with a pair of soft lips puckered up for a kiss. Giggling, I lean forward and peck them softly. She notices the bag in my hand and points down to it.

 

"What's that?" Curiosity written all over her face and I just blush slightly because I'm a little shy about it. I never really bought a gift for a girlfriend before and wasn't entirely sure just how she would like it.

 

"It's a gift for you but I'll give it you later."

 

She doesn't whine about it and I'm appreciative of it because I want the moment I give it to her to be special, not just a hand off in a car. She starts the car back up and backs her way out of the driveway.

 

Our conversation to the beach is light. We aren't talking about anything too serious, just particular things that interest us. It feels good to establish some form of monotony, life has been filled with revelations, emotional breakthroughs and confessions. I don't mind the talk about the commercial that she's obsessed with that she flips through channels to find it just so she can laugh at it. I'm even pleasantly surprised that I can talk about all the trips that I've taken during previous leaves without feeling the guilt of not coming home. Those stories easily turn into future plans with the girl to my left. Most people having discussions like this would freak out at the prospect of doing something like traveling with their significant other so early on in the relationship, but I look forward to it. It's nice to not be afraid of something that other people are terrified of and for once I'm glad I'm not normal.

 

We reach the beach and take a quiet walk down to Jisoo and her brother’s spot. She has a basket and a blanket and I come to the conclusion that it's a good idea to definitely give her the gift during this time. No other time would be as perfect. We set up and get cozy, listening to the ocean; digging our feet into the sand while we rest against the blanket Jisoo laid out. I feel her reach for my hand I instantly link mine with hers. She starts to talk but it's not to me and I know having been in my own spot that she's talking to her brother. I just sit quietly much like she has whenever she's accompanied me through my own discussions with my friends.

 

"Hey Jin, as you can see I'm not alone this time. I know you wouldn't mind seeing as you'd want to meet the girl that stole my heart."

 

My eyes are closed but I can hear her smiling as she talks. I'm not sure if her eyes are closed as well but I know that they aren't on me. I feel when they are.

 

"She's pretty great and don't worry Jennie took care of the talk that you would have given her. She handled herself quite well if you ask me. It was a bit y honestly."

 

She starts laughing and I'm sure it's because she's imaging the grossed out response he would have given her, if he had still been here. I chuckle quietly not wanting to ruin her moment. I feel her gently squeeze my hand.

 

"Okay, okay I'm sorry geez. Here I thought I can tell you anything but apparently there are limits, she is hot though right?"

 

I can't laugh quietly anymore because the comment alone catches me off guard. She's laughing as well. I feel her move closer to me and I welcome the warmth. I'm not sure if it's just her body heat or her but everything about her radiates warmth.

 

"I know I got myself a looker don't be jealous. Anyway she's just here and she's leaving soon so I brought her by so she could talk to you."

 

My eyes shoot open. This is a complete surprise to me and I don't look at my girlfriend but I do feel her eyes on me. I clear my throat knowing that me talking to him is important. If I didn't have to do this with Rose and Jiwon I'd be terrified of what to say but I've had some practice. I close my eyes again and imagine his face. There are a lot of pictures of he and Jisoo in their house so it's not hard for me to picture what he looks like.

 

"Hey Jin, thanks for being so understanding about letting me in on you and Jisoo's secret spot. She's been teaching me to surf and even though I didn't get to know you I feel a tiny bit closer to understanding who you were and who you were to Jisoo. She's amazing and I care about her so much, she's helped me a lot and the way she talks about you I feel like I know you a bit. I'm sorry we didn't get to meet, but I know one day we will. Until then I'll just get to know you through your sister."

 

I turn to her in hopes that my talk was decent enough. She's tearing up a bit and I reach my hand over and brush it away with my thumb. I cup her face and she lays her hand on top of mine and I smile softly at her.

 

"Thank you." She says in a whisper. I just shake my head.

 

"No, thank you."

 

I feel her cheeks heat up a bit and I know she's blushing. The sun is starting to peek in the horizon and the small bit of orange, purple and blue is breathtaking. I drop my hands from her face and watch the natural beauty unravel before me. We're both too captivated by the sunset to talk right now. The colors flood our eyes and we melt into the scene as if we were permanent fixtures of it. Not paying any mind to anything else but each other. She leans her head against my shoulder and I drop my head on top of hers.

 

She lets go of my hand to loop our arms together and we sit quietly. I'm so in love with her and where we are right now. It's like the perfect place in all degrees. She inhales deeply, sighing contently.

 

"I'm so happy" she admits and I grin.

 

"Me too."

 

I'm not sure how long we sat there in silence, but honestly I don't care. I don't want time to ruin this moment so I just act as though time doesn't exist.

 

Much to my dismay she pulls away and grabs the basket that sat beside her. She opens the one side and hands me a bottle of orange juice. She starts digging around and pulls out a plate, utensils, napkins and I start to giggle.

 

"If you pull a table outta there I'm gonna start calling you Hermoine."

 

She smirks as she turns to me slowly.

 

"Didn't take you for a Harry Potter fan."

 

I look away from her a bit embarrassed. "I skimmed the books." I answer noncommittally.

 

I brave a look at her and she staring at me knowingly. She caught me. The detail of Hermoine's charmed handbag that I referenced is too minute to be remembered by someone that barely paid attention. I scoff and release an obnoxious growl.

 

"Fine I read them all the way through...three times."

 

She erupts in laughter and I pout. She coos me leaning forward to give me a quick kiss. I grab the hem of her short so she can't escape too quickly because I need more than a peck after that reveal. She doesn't fight me on it as she deepens the kiss forgetting the breakfast that she packed. We break apart to catch our breaths.

 

"Let's eat yeah?" I just nod the taste of Jisoo from my swollen lips.

 

She pulls out muffins, scones, a fruit salad, croissants, a thermos full of coffee and some yogurt. I'm bewildered by the amount of food that she's brought. She laughs lightly.

 

"I like a variety." She says as she hands me a blueberry muffin remembering that it's my favorite. She's so damn cute.

 

I take it with a thank you and she just nods taking a healthy bite out of her scone. She shakes the thermos, silently asking if I want coffee. I let her cater to me because she's made it clear that she enjoys it.

 

We have our breakfast on the beach watching the sunrise and I prepare myself for the gift I want to give her. I take a drink of my OJ hoping it'll take some of the nerves down. I grab the bag and hold onto the straps. I look at her and even though she doesn't know what it is she already looks grateful.

 

"So I got you a little something. It's not much and if you don't like it just tell me I promise not to get upset or anything. I just wanted to get you something that reminded me of you and hopefully you like it..." I'm rambling.

 

She places a hand on my leg and rubs it comfortingly. I release a harsh breath and hand her the bag.

 

I nibble on my bottom lip nervously. She pushes the tissue paper aside and pulls the biggest gift out first. I squint my face as if I'm in pain, the anticipation of her response is killing me. She gasps and I take that as a good sign.

 

"Lisa..." Then nothing... "It's.." What! It's what?! For the love of God tell me! I'm gonna pass out. She doesn't say anything. She's running her fingers over the engraving of her name at the bottom of her leather bound journal. The pages like cloth, thicker than normal, it absorbs the ink of fountain pens so it doesn't run through to the other side.

 

"Do you like it?" I ask because I'm really not sure.

 

"I love it so much! Thank you." She holds it to her chest hugging the intimate object and I want to pat myself on the back, she kisses me and I rather that gesture instead.

 

I tell her she's welcome when we separate and point to the bag.

 

"There's one more thing."

 

She dives into the bag excitedly and pulls out a square velvet box. She looks at me quickly before opening it. She opens it slowly and gasps for the second time. Gasping equals good just in case you weren't sure.

 

She whispers my name again and it does something to my insides. I swallow down the rage of hormones and focus on my girlfriend. She lifts the sterling silver heart and it's two pieces on the same chain.

 

"Do you get the other side?"

 

"I'm supposed to, but I'm giving them both to you. The jagged heart is how you found me it's only right that you get my whole heart, not half. You made it complete and that's how I want to give it to you."

 

"It's beautiful Lisa thank you. I love everything you gave me. They're both so special in such a special place. You're so amazing."

 

I give her a crooked smile and she holds out the necklace for me to put on. She turns around and squeals excitedly. I giggle as I lift the jewelry over her head. She pulls her hair out of the way and I fasten the clasp. I gently kiss the back of her neck making my way to the side. She leans further into me and I slide my hands down her arms engulfing her in a hug.

 

"You're so beautiful." I tell her and I know she understands that I'm not just referencing to her looks. She tells me thank you and we stay quiet for the duration of our time.

 

We make our way off the beach once the sun is completely risen, hand in hand.

 

"I just had a crazy idea." I tell her and it really is crazy. Old Lisa wouldn't even mention it but I'm turning a new leaf.

 

"Mhm." She subtly urges me on and we disconnect our hands once we make it to the car.

 

"Do you and your family maybe want to come over for dinner tonight?"

 

"Really?"

 

"I know crazy right?"

 

She giggles and nods in agreement. "Only cause it's you." She answers as we climb inside the car. I want to counter but she is right.

 

"So do you think your parents will go for it. I think it's time they met."

 

"Definitely." She starts her car up and backs out of the spot.

 

"Oh and bring Dalgom, that way I don't have to share you with Luke. He'll be so distracted by the dog." I laugh and she shakes her as she joins in.

 

"You're not a good sharer."

 

"Not when it comes to you."

 

 

I enter the house and it's buzzing with the normal morning energy. I find my mother again in the kitchen cooking breakfast for my father.

 

"You love what you do right?" I ask as I hop on the counter and swing my legs haphazardly. She smiles brightly.

 

"With every fiber of my being."

 

As long as she does. I know my dad appreciates the things she does, being a housewife is the hardest job. My mom calls it being a domestic goddess and she's amazing at what she does. I don't ever want her to feel as if what she does goes unnoticed. She pats my leg softly, that's her way of telling me to get down.

 

I wring my fingers together as I muster of the courage to ask about dinner tonight. She looks down at them then smirks.

 

"Want to tell me something?" She asks knowingly.

 

"I know it's sorta last minute and we can just go out to dinner if you want but I'd really like it if..."

 

"Yes." She says sweetly.

 

"Ma you don't even know what it is yet."

 

"I'd do anything for you sweetheart you should know that by now."

 

"Okay can I at least tell you what it is so you can plan accordingly." She nods once and I continue. "Jisoo and her family are coming over for dinner tonight."

 

The smile on her face is huge. I would think feeding an extra three mouths would throw her off but she's glowing.

 

"Oh Lisa that's an amazing idea. I'd love to meet the Kims. Their daughter is so lovely I can only imagine her parents. I'll get started right away. Anything particular you want me to make."

 

I shake my head. "Whatever you want mom everything you make is awesome."

 

I'd say she smiles again but the one she was sporting previously never left her face. She finishes up my father's breakfast and like clockwork he steps into the kitchen and grabs her by the waist kissing her neck softly. I should be grossed out but it's cute to see that they're still so much in love after twenty-two years. Gives me hope that the love I have for Jisoo isn't puppy love it's something that could last. She giggles and swats him away ordering him to eat his breakfast.

 

"Hey kid how's it hanging?"

 

I laugh at my fathers attempt to sound hip and pat him on the shoulder. He tried... can't fault him for that.

 

"It's hanging dad. You'll be around later?"

 

"Yeah unless you're kicking me out." He quips before taking a sip of coffee.

 

"Jisoo and her family are coming over for dinner so, you know, be here."

 

He winks at me and then looks at his wife who's nose is buried in her homemade cookbook.

 

"So that's the reason she's smiling more this morning. You had something to do with it?"

 

I just shrug and jump off the counter my mother told me to get down from ages ago.

 

He grabs my hand and squeezes it gently. I take a step forward closer to him and he whispers in my ear.

 

"You're doing great kid, all we want is for you to be happy. The happier you are the happier we are. We're just glad you're letting us in."

 

I look at him and give him a bashful look. He places a fatherly kiss atop my head and lets me go. I head out of the kitchen giving my mom a gentle kiss on the cheek before I'm completely gone. I jog up the stairs and think about how happy I've been. This is the week I've been dreading, the anniversary of the passing of Jiwon and Rose. It's like the grief I've been dreading has somehow vanished. Like the anticipation was worse than the circumstance. I feel my phone go off and I already know that it's Jisoo, anyone else that would contact me is in this house.

 

I answer the phone and I'm smiling like an idiot already. I probably should catch a grip but I haven't felt this high on life in...ever so pardon me if I float away.

 

"Beautiful." I answer as I reach the final step and walk to my room.

 

"Am I ridiculous for missing so much this quickly?"

 

I walk into my room and drop onto my bed.

 

"Not at all, if it is then consider me ridiculous."

 

"So my parents are in for tonight. Dalgomie is excited as well." I hear a bark in the background and we both giggle.

 

"Clearly. My mom is really excited to meet your parents as well. She's got her head buried in her cookbook trying to find recipes for tonight. It's going to be a feast I can already tell. So don't eat too much today."

 

"I'll try not to but I'm sure I can manage. I'm a bit of a food monger. Jin and I used to bet who could eat more of what on different holidays."

 

"Well that's certainly something you can do with Luke, I swear that boy puts it away like no other. He eats like a grown man."

 

She laughs but I'm serious. It's jaw dropping really. We chat about nothing in particular for a while and I feel the mood shift. She's a bit distant and I want to clear it up right away before we ruin our good streak.

 

"What's the matter?"

 

"I was just thinking about your departure."

 

"Jisoo don't think about it okay. We still have some time together."

 

She sighs and I know ignoring it won't make it less painful. "I know but I'm still sad."

 

"How about this, I come pick you up before I get Lucas from school and we can be alone before dinner. That way we can be together for longer."

 

"You don't have to." She responds cutely. I can picture her pout and I want to kiss it away.

 

"I know I don't. I want to though. So should I come now?"

 

She laughs and smirk. "Lucas doesn't get out of school for like another five hours."

 

"I'll drive really, really slow." She giggles but agrees to my speedy appearance. "I'll see you in a bit."

 

We hang up and I take a quick shower. When I'm satisfied with my appearance I hop down the stairs two at a time. I inhale deeply and my stomach growls at the aroma. The amazing smells coming from the kitchen and for once I'm excited about the plans involving my family. It's most likely because I'm in the greatest mood I've been in for years.

 

I walk into the kitchen and my mom has all kinds of kitchen gadgets spread among the counters. Mixers, knives, spoons and bowls litter the kitchen along with every spice from our cabinets.

 

I grab a water bottle from the fridge and lean against the door. My mother is happily twirling around the kitchen.

 

"You need anything from the store ma?"

 

"No honey I'm great."

 

"I'm going to pick Luke up from school today alright? So you're not overwhelmed or anything."

 

"Oh that's so sweet of you Lisa. Are you off to see Jisoo?" I blush and look down at my shoes. She comes over and lifts my head by my chin. "It's sweet to see you so in love honey."

 

"Thanks ma."

 

She winks then twirls towards the lump of dough she has perfectly packed out on the counter. I watch her as she kneads it and I take in the essence of my mother. She really is amazing. I leave her in her arena and head out to my car. I slide inside the seat and make my way to my girlfriend.

 

 

I feel like I've slept with a hanger in my mouth. I can't stop smiling and it's because of a certain brunette. I'm glad that I make her feel the same way. Before I know it I'm in front of her house and she's outside waiting for me. Dalgom is diligently sitting next to her. She stands up from her porch and waves at me. She has a blanket in her hand and as she makes her way towards the car I get out to assist her. As I get closer to her Dalgom quickly moves forward and jumps up on me. He balances himself on his hind legs resting his front legs on my shoulders. I don't know if I'm really short or this dog is really tall but his face is lined with mine. He lays his head on my shoulder and I notice my girlfriend giggling softly.

 

"He wants a hug."

 

"Seriously?" I ask in shock and surprise myself even more as I actually hug the dog. He growls in appreciation then gets back on all fours.

 

My girlfriend kisses me softly and wipes away the bit of fur that Dalgom shed onto me.

 

"Sorry about that." She says with furrowed brows. She wiping the fur away from my chest and I quirk a brow.

 

"Did you put him up to this so you could feel me up?" I joke and she smirks.

 

"I don't have to work hard to feel you up Manoban." She winks at me and opens the back seat of my car laying the blanket on top of the seat. Dalgom jumps inside and sits obediently and I'm extremely impressed.

 

I open the door for Jisoo and she gets inside. I hold up my end of the deal and we drive aimlessly and slowly. We stop at the park to let Dalgom stretch his legs and before I know it it's time to pick up my little brother. We pull up to the school and my brother shouts in excitement when he see the dog in the backseat he completely forgets about the person who owns it in the front seat.

 

"It looks like your evil plan is working." She teases mildly. I just shrug and try to look innocent.

 

"I don't know what you're talking about. " Is my response as I get out to get a hug from my little man. He's hugging me but I know his eyes are focused on the Lab in the backseat.

 

"Hey Li can I show off the dog to Elle?"

 

"You gotta ask Jisoo bud, Dalgom's hers."

 

He leans to see Jisoo and she's smiling at him from the passenger seat. She wiggles her fingers at him in a wave.

 

"Can I Jisoo?" She winks at him and nods her head for him to take the dog. Dalgom gets out of the car and Lucas' face. He giggles and ruffles Dalgom's fur. Jisoo instructs him to hold him by the collar and that he doesn't have to hold too tight. Dalgom's well behaved.

 

Lucas walks over to his little crush. The dog is as big as he is and the picture is adorable. I lean against the car, Jisoo and I watch the scene unfold. Dalgom sits down and the little girl that I'm guessing is Elle is going crazy over him.

 

"It's always the dog." Jisoo chortles and I look down at her.

 

"Busted."

 

She whips her head up at me. "What do you mean?"

 

"You just gave yourself away."

 

"Huh?"

 

"The day at the park when I was jogging did you send your dog to distract me?" She erupts in laughter but it's forced and she looks away for a minute.

 

"I did no such thing. If Dalgom went after you it's because he saw a squirrel or something."

 

"Is that so?" I ask.

 

"I don't know what you're talking about." She says it in the same fashion as when I said it earlier when she was referring to my evil plan, which by the way is clearly working. Lucas starts to walk back, walking with a swagger as if he's the coolest kid in the world. He is though so no fault of his.

 

"Alright Elle, see you later. Say bye Dalgomie." Dalgom obeys and gives the girl a quick bark.

 

"How'd you know he'd bark?" I ask.

 

"Cause Dalgom knows when we want the ladies." Jisoo says in a soft tone. I playfully glare at her and she smirks.

 

Lucas laughs and lets Dalgom go so he can hop into the backseat. Lucas climbs in and goes on the other side to get into his booster seat.

 

"Thanks so much for letting me borrow Dalgomie."

 

"Anytime buddy."

 

"Hey Li can we get some Italian Ice from Via Veneto?" He buckles himself in and I look at him through the rear view mirror. So there are two people I can't say no to. I agree and he shouts in glee. I'm glad that I'm spending so much to with him but more specifically I'm glad that I get to enjoy all this time with her. I look over at Jisoo and she's looking out the window. I reach over grab her hand and kiss it sweetly. She looks at me with a smile and I can't imagine being away from her. I'm grateful that this is my last tour because I'm ready to start my life and I'd really like to figure it out with Jisoo by my side.

 

We get icees and hang out in the closest park. Lucas runs around with Dalgom while Jisoo and I watch from a distance eating our tye dye ices.

 

"You know I'm glad I found you when I did. I wasn't going to go to the cemetery that night because I was feeling a certain way that I can't really explain but I'm glad I did."

 

"I'm glad you did too."

 

"I wonder if we would've met if it wasn't the cemetery."

 

"I would've found you between Lara Croft's legs." She teases and I groan.

 

"I'm not living that down am I?"

 

She forces her statement out through her laughter. "No way in hell am I letting that go." She kisses me on the cheek, her lips cold from her frozen treat. I pout and she does what I'm hoping for. Giving me a quick peck but I prolong it until her lips are warm.

 

She pulls back blushing and I'm impressed that I make my first girlfriend as flushed as I have been. Emotions are making up for experience. We finish up and get ready to head back to my house.

 

 

Lucas runs into the house with Dalgom by his side. "Keep him occupied in the back bud."

 

My little brother shouts out an 'okay' as he throws his book bag on the floor by the door and runs towards the backyard with the dog. Jisoo and I walk into the kitchen and it smells even better than when I left.

 

"Mrs. M everything smells so good. My mouth is watering just at the scent." My mother blushes and waves a dismissive hand at my girlfriend.

 

"Thank you dear. I'm just happy to have a crowd to cook for."

 

"I hardly call three more people a crowd mom." I giggle as I take a brownie from the mountain that my mother has created. She glares at me. "Just one mom...plus two." I say as I grab two more and jump back dodging the handful of flour my mother tried to throw at me. She got some in my hair!

 

Jisoo laughs and I can't help the chuckle that escapes me because I do know how my mother gets about her cooking. She set the treats up in a pyramid that I ruined. Before my mother can berate me I pull my girlfriend from the kitchen and up to my room. Once we enter I close the door behind us and hand her a brownie. She takes a bite and she groans in appreciation.

 

"Right?" She just nods and walks around my room as I take a seat on my bed. This is the first time she's actually gotten the chance to look around my room. We're usually...occupied with each other she hasn't gotten the chance. She stops at a photo of Jiwon, Rose and I at some party.

 

"Is this them?" She asks making sure, picking up the picture frame with her free hand. I say a soft yes. "Rose is beautiful."

 

"Yeah she was." I know she's not saying that to receive a response complimenting her. Jisoo doesn't give me the insecure I need a compliment every five seconds kind of vibe. I think she's honestly just telling me Rose was beautiful. She really was.

 

She puts down the picture and joins me on the bed. "You two together would've made jaws drop." She tells me seriously but I can't help but laugh. "What? It's true!"

 

"Well I think you and I are pretty jaw dropping." I lean forward and capture her lips with mine. I don't know how I became so good at being smooth with a girl but I lay her back and rest my body on top of hers. Dinner will be ready in a few hours. That's definitely not enough time for me to get my fill of Jisoo, but I can try.

 

 

Dinner is going off successfully. My mom really has outdone herself. She's made a five course meal with three choices of appetizers. The fathers are talking shop, hashing sports statistics while the mothers discuss cooking and gardening. They seem to be hitting it off so well and I can't be more pleased. I'm getting some payback as Mrs. Kim retells embarrassing stories of Jisoo but she's a good sport and just laughs along instead of scowl, so that takes the fun out of it for me. Lucas is rolling around with the dog somewhere, then there's Jisoo and I glued to each others side. My mom escorts everyone to the dining room and calls for my brother. Telling him to wash up for supper, it's just the adults in the room and my mother raises her glass clinking it gently with her knife. She's giving a speech...of course she is.

 

"I want to thank you so much for coming to our home. It's been such a treat getting to know you and getting to know your daughter. She's been lovely to have around but most especially I'm grateful for what she's been to my daughter..."

 

Oh geez.

 

My mother takes a moment gathering herself and my dad lays a hand on hers in support. She clears to say more and I feel Jisoo squeeze my hand under the table.

 

"When Lisa was expected to come home I didn't know what I was going to get. The first few days were hard she was distant and kept to herself which I understood but I just wanted to know that she was alright. Ever since the induction of Jisoo she's brought life back to my baby and now I see so much joy, peace, and love in her and I couldn't be more happy. So thank you Jisoo and thank you to her parents for raising such a beautiful girl."

 

"May I add something to that?" Mrs. Kim chimes in before my mother gets a chance to say cheers. My mother smiles widely and I think it's official. She's found her new best friend. She nods giving the okay to Mrs. Kim to continue.

 

"First of all thank you for opening your home to us and cooking such a feast. This all looks delicious. Your hospitality, kindness, and generosity are so heartwarming and I am glad to finally find out where Lisa gets all those qualities from and then some. Since Jisoo has met Lisa I've seen a light in her eyes that I haven't seen in a long time. Her tenacity for life has increased insurmountably and I know that it has to do with the young lady sitting right here."

 

I blush looking away. I squeeze Jisoo's hand this time. I'm wasn't expecting any of this. They're grateful that we fell in love with each other. I guess we were so busy falling for one another we didn't see the impact that it had on the people around us. How often does anyone pay attention to that though? When two people fall in love it's supposed to be just the two of them but it never is. We didn't pay attention to how our mood changes affected our families, we just fell for each other. We mattered to one another and we forgot that we matter to other people. 

 

I think Jisoo and I are both a bit embarrassed by the toasts our mothers are giving. We thought we were just having a dinner to get to know one another. Turns out we're celebrating the love Jisoo and I are growing into. I turn my attention back onto Mrs. Kim as she finishes up.

 

"You've had such an impact on Jisoo's life and both my husband and I are so grateful. We feel like you've been with us for so long and I think I speak for my husband as well as myself when I say that you're a welcomed addition to our family."

 

My mouth goes dry as she says that. I choke out something that sounds like words but I can't be sure. I know I feel Jisoo's lips on my cheek. That's an unmistakable feeling. I don't know what to say but I mechanically raise my glass as everyone says 'to Jisoo and Lisa.' We steal a glance at each other and smirk. I can't help but lean forward and kiss her quickly ignoring all the eyes that are on us right now. Their gratitude is pleasantly overwhelming but nothing is more pleasantly overwhelming than knowing that this girl is mine.