Chapter 2

Into the Woods

“Sorry about yesterday, I couldn’t show you around school. Did you find everything okay?” Yujin, asked rolling over in her bed looking at me. We started school on a Friday so today is Saturday, the weekend. 

 

“Yeah, I found them pretty easy. Did you get in trouble?” I asked tilting my head. I was curious about what happened yesterday during 1st period. What was the big fuss over this heejin girl?

 

“Haha not really, they just made me go to the councilor and talk about my feelings. Its garbage, they act like nothing happened.” She sighed sitting up facing away from me. Should I ask? I don’t know she might get angry if I do. Oh well, I don’t really have anything to lose I’ve only known her a day.

 

“Who is Heejin? What happened to her?” I asked and I saw Yujin immediately freeze in place. She quickly unfroze though as if it didn’t even happen. She turned around and walked over to my bed sitting on the edge of it. 

 

“You don’t know? Shouldn’t you know? You are the principle’s daughter, didn’t he tell you?” Yujin asked furrowing her eyebrows. Does my dad know about this? How come he never told me? 

 

“No, no one told me. All I know is something happened to a girl named Heejin and what was said between you and that teacher.” Yujin nodded fiddling with her hands. Was she gonna tell me or just do that?

 

“Heejin disappeared almost a year ago. She was a student here in the grade above us.” Thats it? 

 

“Oh we-“

 

“6 girls died last year.” What! What does that mean? Holy crap, how can she drop a bomb so easily?

 

“Oh my god, is that why the school shut down?” Yujin nodded still looking down. 

 

“They found all the girls bodies completely drained of blood, but they never found Heejin’s so they didn’t declare her dead.”

 

“Drained of blood? What did it? How?” I am so confused. What in the world is happening?

 

“Heejin and her friend group were very adventurous. They’d always go find new things to do here in the middle of nowhere. I guess they went into the woods on the East side and something killed them. Well, besides Heejin, maybe.” That is crazy, what could have done it?

 

“Wow.” Yujin got up clapping her hands looking at me with a smile. Well, that was a complete 360.

 

“Let’s go and get some breakfast and hang out.” She said as she dragged me out of my bed. Ew, I really just want to sleep.

 

-

 

“Yena so help me god if you don’t stop poking me with your spoon I will make you a very unhappy girl.” Wow that girl has a temper. The girl with the darker hair retracted her spoon and frowned. 

 

“Chae you are no fun.” The girl huffed grabbing her toast and shoving it in . The girl with the light brown hair scoffed and hit the other girl on the back of the head.

 

“I’m sorry that my definition of fun isn’t poking people with utensils.” Yujin looked over at me and laughed nervously. 

 

“Guys, maybe lets act a little less crazy in front of the new girl. Lets not scare her off.” As if the girls finally realized I was in their presence they sat up and smiled.

 

“I’m sorry about that, I am Kim Chaewon and she is Choi Yena. We’re in 11th grade.” The light headed girl said smiling at me. The dark headed girl finally finished chewing her bread and smiled also.

 

“I’m Jang Wonyoung, I’m in the same grade as Yujin.” I smiled at the two girls in front of me. Right when yena was about to say something the whole cafeteria got silent. What the heck? I turned my head to the direction everyone was staring at and I saw a girl. She was average height, dark brown hair, and had on jeans a crop top to show off her toned stomach. Everyone was still dead silent and staring at this girl. Who is she?

 

“There is no way.” Yujin said as she stared at the girl in disbelief. Who is she? The mystery girl looked around the lunchroom and her eyes landed on me. I froze she staring directly at me now. Her gaze is so intense. Should I look away? This is a lot of awfully awkward staring. I feel so awkward, why won’t she looked away? I finally tore my eyes away from the girl and looked back up and she was walking out of the cafeteria.

 

“I think I’m seeing things chae, check my forehead.” Yena said as she slaps her face slightly then fanning her face. What in the world is wrong with everyone. 

 

“Who was that girl?” I turned my head to yujin who still had wide open. I shook her shoulder and she finally looked back at me.

 

“That was Heejin, Jeon Heejin.” Yujin said almost as a question like she didn’t believe it herself. I finally realized all the fuss. 

 

“The girl who’s been missing for a year?” I asked the girls. Chaewon and Yena nod their heads and Yujin just goes back into shock. I look around the cafeteria and people were either frozen like yujin or gossiping and talking about it. 

 

-

 

This is a joke. How in the world am I supposed to find this girl? Am I supposed to just go up to every girl in this school and ask for their name? Wait, didn’t kaeun say that she is new? So i’ll just ask around for all the new girls in this school and ask their names. Man jeon heejin you are a genius. No wonder kaeun picked you, wow. I’m just sitting in the garden at the back of the school and I have a crowd around me, just staring. The school asked where I have been this past year, so I just told them I don’t want to talk about it and they bought it. Wow, this school does have idiots for teachers and staff. I turned to my right and saw Eunbi and Minjoo staring at me like they were about to cry. They were my best friends until last year when I got into a new group of friends. Well, we know how that went. Their all dead and I’m a werewolf, love that for me. I locked eyes with Eunbi and every shield she held up cracked in that moment, a tear ran down her face. I turned my face away so I didn’t have to watch her cry. I shouldn’t be sad she left me, I didn’t leave her. Don’t cry Heejin, not here. I saw the shadow of two girls, but I didn’t turn around. I knew it was, and I don’t care. As I got up one of them grabbed my wrist. 

 

“Heejin, what happened?” I knew that voice. That voice used to help me with my homework when I was young. Used to sleep with me when my parents died in a car accident. That voice was always there for me. So why do I feel cold when I hear it. I can hear her crying, but I don’t look at her. I yanked my arm from her grip and walked away. I heard her screaming my name and the students gossiping and talking about what they just witnessed. I just need to find this girl and leave. 

 

-

 

I love the smell of flowers, and I found a place with tons of flowers. It was a little into the West side of the woods, I didn’t even look at the East side after yujin told me what happened over there. It has been two days since that heejin girl came back and she still has everyone in a craze. I wonder what happened to her. Today is my sixteenth birthday I haven’t told anyone because I didn’t want to make a fuss. I barely even know anyone here besides yujin, yena, and chaewon and still barely know them. As I reached for a flower it died and crumbled up. What in the world? My eyes widen as I take a step away from the now dead plant. Did I do that? No way, I can’t do that. I start to reach for my jacket and it catches on fire. Holy crap, wonyoung don’t freak out. This all has a logical explanation. Its very dry out so friction can start a fire. But I didn’t even touch it so there was no friction. As I have an internal battle with myself pacing back and forth and the fire gets larger.

 

“Shoot!” How do I make it stop. Frustrated, I close my eyes wishing for this all stop. You’ve got be kidding me. Why does this always happen to me? I open my eyes and there is no fire. I sigh in relief leaving my now disintegrated jacket and turned around. My eyes widen as I see the famous Jeon Heejin staring right at me.

 

“Bingo” she said smirking then walking out of the woods. Well, shoot how do I explain this? I don’t even know what happened myself.