Chapter 11

Into the Woods

“It’s okay, c’mon Shuhua lets go do math.” As Yena and Shuhua left the table Yujin let out a huff and excused herself to go to the bathroom. Man everybody is in such a sour mood. I looked down and saw the small piece of folded paper on my lap. I picked it up and Began to open the letter. I opened it and realized it was a note written to me from Shuhua. ‘Come to the entrance of the East side of the woods tomorrow night. If you don’t come I’ll take one of your friends. If you tell anyone about this I’ll kill all your friends including that wolf that you befriended.’ My mouth fell open at the words written on the piece of paper. What the hell is happening? 

-

“It’s been awfully quiet around here lately. I feel like those vampires are planning something. If that’s the case we need to get Wonyoung ready. How is her training?” Kaeun asked me with a stern face. We’ve barely even trained Wonyoung, she only knows basic spells and a couple of defense spells, but that’s it. If the vampires were to be coming soon Wonyoung definitely wouldn’t be ready and that's a fact. I gulped and turned to face the painting of kaeun and Hyejoo she has hanged on the wall. I forget sometimes that Hyejoo is kaeun’s little sister. They are usually never around each other and never really speak of each other either. It's kinda weird honestly. I turned my attention back to the patient woman who is looking up at me from her desk.

“She’s not ready, she only has a couple spells down and those are the basic ones and she knows maybe two or three defense spells. At this rate, it could take years before Wonyoung is ready.” I saw kaeun’s face slowly get redder and redder until she finally snapped and punched a hole in the wall. I jumped in surprise, but you’d think id be used to living with a bunch of angry werewolves all the time. 

“Haseul, frankly we don’t have much time if my intuition is correct. Her training needs to be harder and faster or our whole pack and home are at stake.” I sigh in frustration and sit in one of the chairs in front of her desk. 

“Wonyoung, if you haven’t noticed, has to go to school every day and she can only stay here a couple hours a week. There is no way she could possibly learn all the spells she needs in this limited time if you are correct.” I saw Kaeun slump into her chair as she began to rub her temples. I know this is frustrating for her, but we really can’t each her any faster. She doesn’t have the years of training like Sakura, Hyewon, and I. Suddenly Kaeun stood up and looked around the room as if she’s scanning it. 

“There is a vampire here.” What? I got up and began to use all my senses, but what I smelled wasn’t a vampire. It was a hybrid. My eyes grew wider than saucers I’m sure of it. I told Yuri to stay in the cabin so no one could find her. I put a spell over it so no one could sense her. I saw Kaeun run to the door, but before she opened it a girl screamed. That caused Kaeun and I to both run out into the courtyard and what I saw shocked my eyes. Sooyoung was on top of Yuri and Hyejoo was trying to pull her off. I looked to my side and saw Kaeun’s eyes turn dark red. Well, this isn’t gonna be good. “STOP!” The whole entire courtyard froze in place and Yuri looked up and saw me and ran towards me, but before she got to me Kaeun pushed her away causing Yuri to fly 10ft across the yard landing right in front of Hyejoo. 

“Kaeun, Stop!” Everyone became quiet when they heard the ever so quiet Hyejoo scream at her sister. This clearly shocked Kaeun too because dropped and she furrowed her eyebrows at the younger girl. “She’s not bad, everyone please stop trying to hurt her.” Hyejoo bent down as she picked up Yuri’s head to cradle in her lap. Yuri’s eyes softened even more if possible when she saw Hyejoo. Kaeun began to march over to the two, but I grabbed her wrist before she made it over there. 

“Don’t do anything you’d regret.” I told her with sincerity in my voice and she sighed and dragged me far away from everyone else.”

“Do you know anything about this?” 

“Yes.” I saw kaeun close her eyes as she looked at the ground. She dragged me back to the courtyard then and right in front of the hurt Yuri and hyejoo whose comforting her. 

“You two come with me. Haseul I want you to come also.” Before we completely made it to her office building someone spoke up. 

“She’s a vampire kill her.” Of course, that voice came from Sooyoung. Sooyoung’s family was killed by vampires. She didn’t really care that much for her parents, but they also killed her little sister, Choerry. She loved that girl with her whole heart and it was heartbreaking to watch her go downhill, but luckily she met Jiwoo here. They are basically married. 

“We don’t kill the innocent Sooyoung, the girl had no choice of what she has become.” Another voice came into the conversation which belonged to no other than Jeon Heejin herself. Heejin and Wonyoung eventually found out about the hybrid girl as they kept on coming to my house for training. How would they not find out there was a hybrid girl living in my house? I smiled at her and she smiled back. I was expecting to see Wonyoung with her but she wasn’t. How odd, they are usually attached at the hip. Next thing I know I’m sitting in a chair in front of Kaeun’s desk with Hyejoo and Yuri next to me.

“So do you want to explain to me why we have a vampire on our lands and no one decided to tell me?” Kaeun asked folding her hands and leaning back in her chair addressing clearly Hyejoo and me.

“She’s not a vampire,” Hyejoo said matter a factly, which caused Kaeun to growl and me to give her a stern look. Kaeun began to laugh as if Hyejoo told her a joke. 

“She’s clearly a vampire I can smell the death coming right off of her.” Yuri shifted in her chair uncomfortably. Shoot, id be uncomfortable in this situation too. Suddenly I got some courage out of nowhere.

“She’s a hybrid, a vampire, and werewolf.” Kaeun immediately stopped laughing as she stood up and slammed her hands on the table. 

“Everyone needs to stop joking with me right now. Hybrids are myths, they don’t exist.”

“I do.” A barely audible response came from Yuri’s mouth as she bowed her head immediately after she said it. Kaeun’s eyes widened as she sat back down in her chair and furrowed her eyebrows as she looked at me for confirmation. I nodded at there implying that she isn’t lying. She looked a couple seconds before she replied back.

“How is she here?” I looked at hyejoo and nudged her indicating that she should answer. She looked at me with wide eyes as she shook her head indicating that she wasn’t gonna tell her. I rolled my eyes and began to explain the whole situation to Kaeun and surprisingly she stayed quiet till the end of my explanation. Suddenly she calmly stood up and walked over to hyejoo and caressed her face. Hyejoo’s eyes softened and smiled at her older sister. In a split second, Kaeun’s eyes turn dark red and she lifted Hyejoo of the ground by her neck as she chocked her. “You dumb little girl! Why would you do this?” I saw Kaeun squeeze harder on the younger girls neck. I could see all the color leave Hyejoo’s face and could hear her choking. 

“Please stop!” I looked to my side and saw Yuri grabbed Kaeun’s arm. Kaeun gave the small girl and scary look and she immediately let go. Karen growled really loud once again and dropped Hyejoo to the ground. 

“If that hybrid causes anyone in my pack any harm or does anything incredibly stupid I will not hesitate to kill her. Do you hear me?” I nodded my head in a calm manner. I looked at hyejoo who was gasping for breath and holding her neck who gave a slight nod. 

“I promise I won’t cause any harm for your pack,” Yuri said with a slight smile, as Kaeun basically confirmed she’s letting her stay.”

“You better not”

-

“Thanks for helping me with my math homework this past week,” yena told me with a smile on her face as she packed up all of her things. I looked into her eyes to see if I could see a future in the young girl again, but I couldn’t. It was all blackness. I sighed and gave her a small smile and a nod. I wish I could save this dumb girl from her tragic future, or should I say lack of. I really think she’s starting to like me, like more than a friend. That is kinda tragic for Chaewon, being that she is completely in love with Yena. I also don’t know how in the world I’m the only one who notices it. As Yena finishes packing up I suddenly got a little curious.

“Why haven’t you been talking to Chaewon?” I saw Yena’s face fall into a frown. She genuinely looks sad and its kinda depressing I wish she'd stop. 

“I don’t know she suddenly became distant to me after I told her I invited you to our movie night.” I internally rolled my eyes at the brunette. How is everyone so oblivious to Chaewon’s feelings? I gave her a slight smile and a comforting nod. 

“Maybe you should try and talk to her before its too late.” Yena clearly doesn’t have much time left, I would hate for her and Chaewon to part in bad terms. Yena’s face scrunched up and my response.

“What do you mean too late?” I froze suddenly, I guess I could’ve used different terms to express my idea. I gave her another small smile and patted her head scruffiness up her bags a bit. 

“I just mean before your friendship gets too damaged that it can’t be repaired.” She nodded her head and threw her backpack strap over her shoulder. 

“I understand, thanks for the advice Shuhua. I’ll see you tomorrow.” She waved at me and gave me a giant smile that almost reached her eyes, almost. I think deep down Yena might be in love with her too. Of course, it clearly doesn’t matter anymore. Now I just have to wait until tomorrow night. I hope Wonyoung comes, but with Yena’s future, it seems as if she won’t. I heard a creaking in the back of the library moving towards me and I don’t have to turn around to know who it is. 

“What do you want Chaewon?” I asked putting my binder into my bag and then turning around to her. I could tell she is angry, I mean I don’t blame her either. She started to walk closer and closer to me until she was about a foot in front of me. She started leaning toward the side of my head as she grabbed my shoulder. 

“I know what you are.”