Chapter 5

Into the Woods

 

“Chaewon and Yena want to eat lunch with us today.” Yujin told me as she has her eyes glued to her phone. Yujin and I have been getting really close over the past week. I think it wouldn’t be wrong to say that were best friends. That being said I feel awful lying to her and the other girls. Yujin finally looks up from her phone when I didn’t respond for a few seconds. I quickly turned my head away from her so she couldn’t read that I was feeling nervous, she’s really good at reading me. She said I basically show what I’m thinking on my face. I gulp then face her to tell her once again another lie.

 

“I actually can’t today, I’m eating lunch with my parents then we’re gonna hang out.” I gave her a small smile as I jump off my bed to my closet. What should I wear in the woods? Definitely not anything expensive, maybe jeans and a sweater since it's getting kinda chilly outside. I can feel Yujin sending me daggers with her eyes. Don’t look Wonyoung or else she’ll figure out you’re lying. I pick up my favorite high waisted blue jeans and a cute crop top sweater. I should probably wear tennis shoes also. 

 

“You never eat with your parents, why now? It has been almost 1 1/2 months and suddenly you want to eat with your parents. Wonyoung whats really going on?” Yujin asked me as she tossed her phone on the bed standing behind me. I turn around to be met with a confused Yujin. I sigh while putting on my clothes I’m wearing for the day. 

 

“I really am eating with them. I haven’t seen them in a long time and I miss them.” I give her chaste smile as I throw on my shoes. I think she bought it. Yujin nods sitting on her desk chair spinning.

 

“Okay well you have to eat dinner with us and watch a movie. Tomorrow’s Monday so we have classes so we might not be able see each other at lunch.” I nod my head agreeing with her. I’ll be back my dinner right? 

 

“Okay I’m off. I’ll see you tonight.” I pick up my phone and put it into my back pocket. When I open the door I felt Yujin’s hand on my wrist. I turn to her with an eyebrow raised.

 

“Promise you’ll make it for dinner. You don’t hang out with us that much anymore. You’re always in the library.” I sigh biting my lip. I hug the distressed girl then drawing back giving her a small smile.

 

“I’ll be back, I promise.” Yujin’s smile made her eyes twinkle. I really hope I can make it back in time. I gave her one more smile before closing the door and walking out of our dorm building. As I round the corner I bump into a girl with jet black hair and a sharp gaze. I back away from the girl and bow a couple times while apologizing. The girl was so pale, but she was very pretty. Almost too pretty, how can someone be so pretty? I’m finally brought back to my senses when the girl asked where the front office is.

 

“Oh, if you walk about a hundred feet and turn right it's the first building on the left.” I gave the shorter girl a big smile to show that I’m a friendly person and not someone who just bumps into people.  

 

“Thanks.” She said while giving me a small smile and walking towards the direction I told her to. She must be new, weird to just start now. I continue to walk to where Heejin told me we were going to meet. I see her siting on a bench doing something on her phone. I walk in front of her smiling while tapping her on the shoulder to make my pretense known. Heejin looked up and smiled then er smile quickly turned into a frown. She looked nervous. Why is she nervous? Her nerves quickly left her though as she jumped up into the air from her seat and dragged me across the field. 

 

“We’re gonna be late lets go.” She said as she rushed us to the woods. Oh god this isn’t gonna be good.

 

-

 

How much longer are we gonna walk? My feet are killing me. We’ve been walking for probably an hour if I had to guess. I huff and groan throwing my head back in frustration. I sat down on a log trying to give my feet a break.

 

“Why are you sitting?” Heejin asked me once she realized I wasn’t following her anymore. I rolled my eyes and took off my shoes to rub my feet making it obvious to her that I was in pain. She quirked one of her eyebrows at me and laughed. A very quick laugh almost like she never did.

 

“We’ve been walking through the woods for an hour. My feet are killing me.” I groaned once again putting my shoe back on. She rolled her eyes and grabbed my hand pulling back up.

 

“We’re almost there, just wait a little while longer. You can sit when we get there.” Heejin said while she began to march in front of me. How can she walk so fast throughout this whole time. Is she some sort of super human? Well, I guess she’s a werewolf so that would make sense. I’m a witch apparently so why don’t I have good stamina and endurance? That’s freaking stupid.

 

“What’s gonna happen when we get there?” I finally watched up to the shorter girl eyeing the side of her face since she wouldn’t look at me. As she kept walking she just shrugged. She doesn’t know? I’m trusting this girl to walk me miles and miles into the woods and she has no idea why we’re doing it? Maybe this was a dumb idea. Is it too late to turn back?

 

“I was just told to get you here. I have no idea what she’s going to do with you or what she exactly wants.” Great, I’m glad I decided to trust this random girl who I barely even know. Way to go Wonyoung you’re so smart. 

 

“Great, if I die I swear Jeon Heejin I’ll haunt you for the rest of your life. I’m trusting you right now.” I glared at the back at her head as she sped up to probably get away from me. This girl is so weird, she has so many different moods. Well, hope I don’t die. 

 

-

 

“We’re here.” Heejin said taking a deep breath and stopping to look at me. Wow this place is real busy. Little kids were playing and many people were chatting around the camp. It all suddenly stopped though when I stopped next to Heejin. Everyones eyes turned to me. I gulped lowering my head and slowly walk behind heejin to try and hide myself from everyone. I guess that was kinda stupid being that I’m taller than her. 

 

“Why is everyone staring at us?” I whispered in Heejin’s ear. She removed me from behind her back and putting back beside her. She looked me in the eye and gave me a small smile. 

 

“They’re looking at you. C’mon lets go find Kaeun.”  Heejin grabbed my hand and dragged me through the crowds of people to this house in the middle of the camp. There are giant men guarding the entrance and others just standing around. I gulped scanning the area. This place is kinda scary. I really should’ve just went to lunch with Yujin, Chaewon, and Yena. We finally got to the entrance of the house and the men immediately step to the side allowing us entrance into the house. Is it that easy? They didn’t ask any questions or even gave us a second glance. They’re really just letting us walk in this easily? When we made in side there was a woman sitting at a desk reading something. Heejin cleared trying to the woman ahead of us to notice us. The woman looked up and her eyes widened. Is something Wrong? Is something on my face? Why is she looking at me like that? I touch my face trying to get off whatever she was staring at. 

 

“I can’t believe my eyes. Heejin, you actually did it.” The woman said walking towards us. Dang she was a giant, what the heck. I thought I was tall. Heejin smiled bowing her head to the older woman. I looked around the room feeling awkward now. I still have no idea why I am here. The woman drew her attention back to me making me feel more awkward. 

 

“Hi, I’m Jang Wo-“ 

 

“Jang Wonyoung, we certainly know who you are here. You don’t need to introduce yourself.” The woman finished my name before I even got it out. This is just getting weird. What the heck is happening here? To make it less awkward I smiled bit at the taller woman.

 

“Uh that’s great.” I said trying to act less awkward. It's definitely not working. Heejin elbowed me in the side making me wince in pain. Jesus, whats her problem? Heejin nudges me again. What in the world am I supposed to say? The older woman laughs making her way back to her paper filled desk. She sits down in her big chair. Why is her chair even that big? Is it necessary? 

 

“I’m glad you decided to help us Wonyoung. The support you’re willing to give us is really admirable. We greatly appreciate it.” The woman said smiling at me. I turn to Heejin and raise an eyebrow at her. What is this woman talking about? Help? What help can I give them? Heejin’s eyes widen for a second as she looked at the ground and started mumbling things to herself. I nudged Heejin so she would look at me. When she looked up she gave me an apologetic look. What did I just get myself into? The woman was staring at us confused. Why is she confused?

 

“Uh, I might have forgotten to mention to her why we need her or why she needs to follow me.” Heejin winced when kaeun slammed her hand on the table. I jumped also because of the quick mood switch in the room. The woman got up and took a deep breath. She walked up to me and gave me a soft smile. 

 

“Wonyoung sweetie can you wait outside for a second while I talk to Heejin?” The taller woman asked me in a very quite voice. I almost couldn’t understand what she was saying. I nodded and began to walk out the door. That lady didn’t look very happy with Heejin. I hope she doesn’t get in trouble. When I was back outside all the commotion stopped again when everyone saw me. Gosh, why do people here stare so much? What am I supposed to do now? People began to whisper to the people around them. I’m 99% sure they’re talking about me. Wonyoung you are the dumbest person alive. Why did you think this was a good idea? In the middle of my thought two girls were walking towards me, both had smiles on their faces. 

 

“Hi, nice to meet you I’m Haseul and this is Sakura.” The girl with brown hair that went just below her shoulders said reaching her hand towards me. I took it and shook it along with the other girls hand, which name is Sakura. 

 

“I’m Wonyoung.” I said giving the two girls a small smile. The two girls looked at each other and laughed. Is something wrong? Did I say something stupid? I mean I couldn’t have I just said my name. Do they think my name is stupid? 

 

“We know silly. We we’re raised with you of course we would know your name.” Sakura said to me as she finally stopped giggling with Haseul. What the heck are they talking about? They didn’t raise me my parents did. I squint my eyes at the two suspicious girls in front of me. 

 

“I don’t think she knows.” Haseul said as she looked at sakura with a worried look. The two girls began to whisper in each others ears right in front of me. Well, this is weird. As I looked around everyone is still staring. Gosh, dont these people have anything better to do. I look back at the two girls in front of me and try to say something, but they are to buy talking between themselves.  

 

“Do you really not remember us?” Sakura asked as she grabbed my hand. My body froze from the unfamiliar touch. I guess she sensed that because she immediately pulled back. I gave the two girls in front of me an apologetic look. This whole situation is weird. All of this started on my sixteenth birthday when all this weird stuff started to happen to me. I stepped away from the two girls because I was starting to feel overwhelmed. The girl whose name was Haseul grabbed the other girls arm and pulled her away from me. 

 

“Stop pushing it, you’re scaring her.” She said with a sad tone in her voice. I started to feel guilty. It seems everyone here knows me, but I don’t know any of them. 

 

“We’ve waited 10 damn years to see her again and she doesn’t even remember us? How the hell did that happen? We were with her everyday for 6 years and she doesn’t even remember our names?” Sakura said as she began to get angry. My eyes widen at the sudden out burst from the girl in front of me. I step back further away just in case she got to angry. The other girl grabbed her arm and began to drag her away giving me an apologetic look. When I finally came back to my senses from that crazy occurrence I saw Heejin and the older woman standing in front of me. 

 

“Wonyoung, we need to talk.”