Chapter 13

Into the Woods


“Pass the goldfish please.” 

“No, you pig, you’ve almost eaten the entire bag. It was the family size!”

“Hey, Ahn Yujin, hand it over right now!” Yujin and Yena were as usual fighting over food. How can you tell your friends that you’re leaving and most likely not coming back because you’re going to die? I sigh as I watch the two girls wrestle each other for the last few goldfish. I wish Chaewon was here, Yena always listens to her. Maybe if she was here there would be some peace and quiet for longer than twenty seconds. Knock Knock. The commotion between the two girls came to a halt as all three of us looked up at the door. We weren’t expecting anyone else. Yujin quickly pushed Yena off of her as she landed on the ground with a grunt and walked up to our dorms door. She opened it about to greet the stranger at the door before she lunged onto whoever was at the door. Yena looked over at me I confusion because from our angle we couldn’t see who it was.

“Chaewon!” Yujin pulled away from the girl and dragged her inside and closed the door. My eyes grew wide as a small the familiar red-orange haired girl. My eyes were then immediately drowned to Yena as I heard loud noises and it was her trying to lift herself off the ground, but failing to due to her slipping on the rug. I giggled a bit at the duck's clumsiness. Chaewon cleared and made her way to the center of the room.

“I’m sorry.” Everyone attention was our right back on the fairylike girl. “I’m sorry for ignoring you guys for the past weeks.” Yujin walked up the older girl and embraced her in a giant hug where I’m almost positive Chaewon was being suffocated. Yena finally got up from the ground without stumbling and her face looked cold. Well, this is different Yena is usually always happy and excited. 

“Get out.” Everyone froze and Yujin let go of Chaewon and made her way over to me slightly hiding behind me. I don’t blame her I’ve never seen Yena like this before. She genuinely looks upset and broken. 

“Yena, please I’m so sor-“

“Leave right now and never come back.” Yena walked up to chaewon and started to push her to the door. Chaewon just took it and didn’t fight back. What the heck is wrong with these two. I mean yeah Chaewon did ignore Yena’s existence for like two weeks, but she said she was sorry. 

“Yena stop.” I don’t know where I sudden burst of confidence to stop angry and upset Yena, but it definitely was the wrong idea when her cold stare turned in my direction. I shoved Yujin in front of me to block her stare.

“You can’t come back here like nothing happened. After you treated me like that and completely ignored me for weeks and expect us to go back to being besties.” Yena spat her words like venom at Chaewon as she lowered her head.

“Yena please I’m sorry.” Chaewon didn’t lift her head up it stayed in its lowered position. I wish Yena would just let it go, then we could have our normal Friday night hang out. Well, it can’t be that normal I have to leave soon anyway. Wait this is great while Chaewon and Yena are feeding then we can cancel and it’ll be easier for me to get to the woods. 

“Chaewon I really don’t care how many times you say sorry unless you tell me why you completely ignored us for weeks then leave.” Yena crossed her arms and sat on Yujin’s bed staring at the cornered girl. Chaewon finally lifted her head and looked over at Yujin and me as if she was asking for help. Wait, is she asking for help? I looked at Yujin who immediately looked away from me pretending to answer a phone call. Are you kidding me? 

“Maybe we should reschedule our hang out to some other time,” I interjected in the two girls awkward tension. Yujin suddenly now being able to speak disagreed with my idea. 

“Wonnie, just make Chaewon leave, then us and Yena can watch movies.” She pouted and tugged at my sweater. I sighed and shrugged her off of me. I can’t believe she is willing to kick out one of her best friends just watch a stupid movie. I looked at Chaewon and saw int of sadness that appeared as soon as Yujin finished her sentence. 

“If you want Chaewon to leave so bad then you kick her out, this is your room too.” She immediately stopped pouting and sighed sitting on my bed. I knew she wouldn’t kick her out, she’s just a big baby. “Chaewon, as always you are welcome to Friday movie night because you are our friend. Right Yujin?” I looked over at Yujin and gave her a stern look. She immediately nodded her head and gave Chaewon her soft puppy like smile. Chaewon’s face brightened a little until Yena spoke up again.

“If she’s staying, then I’m leaving.” Yena begins to make her way to the door, but Chaewon grabs her arm and pulls her back in front of her. 

“You can’t leave Yena.” Well, this is odd. Yena scoffed and tried to get out of Chaewon’s hold, but her grip seems to be pretty tight because Yena is not budging. 

“Let go of me. I’m leaving.” 

“I can’t let you leave. I’m so sorry Yena.” Chaewon began to drag Yena across the room and into me and Yujin’s shared bathroom. Lock. Did she just lock Yena in the bathroom? What the heck? Yujin got up with wide eyes as she made her way over to the bathroom door.

“Why did you just lock Yena in the bathroom?” Yujin looked at Chaewon like she was crazy. Well, I mean she is acting kinda weird. 

“She can’t leave it’s not safe.” What? Why would it be not safe? Chaewon’s eyes widened and quickly fell back to her normal state. “What I mean is that there is a murderer on the loose she can’t leave.” Chaewon coughed and suddenly there was a bang on the bathroom door. 

“Let me out of here you psycho.” Yena continued to bang on the door. Chaewon jumped and ever bang out of surprise. 

“Yena, just calm down. I’ll let you out when you’ve come to your senses.” Chaewon sighed and quickly closed the open window we had and closed the curtain. Well, Jesus she really is scared about this murderer, isn’t she? 

“I swear to God Kim Chaewon if you don’t let me out right now I’ll never forgive you.” The room grew silent for a few seconds and the banging subsided. I could tell Chaewon was really thinking about whatever is going through her crazy mind right now. 

“I’ll just have to live with that I guess, but I can’t let you out of there.” I quickly snapped my head over to Chaewon as she slides her back against the bathroom door. Why would she give up their friendship over something like this? My eyebrows furrowed as I looked over to Yujin who just shrugged and pointed sitting back down on the chair next to the bathroom door. 

“Kim Chaewon, as of now I will never speak to you ever again.” My eyes widened at the duck’s angry voice from inside the bathroom. I looked back down at Chaewon and saw her eyes beginning to get watery. Dang it, don’t cry you dumb radish you’ll make me cry. 

-

I like the woods during night time. It’s so peaceful and beautiful. My friends and family always thought I was crazy for that because most people think the woods is a scary place especially during the night, but not me. It has always brought me peace. I guess it can be a scary place. What lurks in the dark is scary, not the actual woods itself. I guess my love for the woods at night is what got me in this situation that I’m in now. It's crazy how a persons life can change in the blink of an eye. I mean one minute I was a normal human high school girl that liked to hang out with her friends and go to school events. Now I’m half vampire half werewolf or as the people in kaeun’s pick call me, hybrid. I miss my old life. I miss my family and friends. I haven’t seen them in weeks and I’m pretty sure they probably think I’m dead, but I wouldn’t know. I’ve been locked up in the woods and not been able to leave. I guess the place I used to love is becoming my prison. 

“What are you thinking about?” I quickly came out of my thoughts and turned towards the taller werewolf who was smiling at me. She’s the only reason I haven’t mossed all hope yet. 

“My old life.” I tried to put my best smile on, but I knew she knew I was faking. This bond we have since she was the one who bit me is very strong. She sighed and kicked a rock with her foot. 

“I’m sorry Yuri. I guess I can’t say I understand because I’ve grown up in the woods and was also born like this.” I frowned feeling sorry for Hyejoo. In a way, she has it worse than me. She has never had a life outside the pack and woods. All she knows is the woods. 

“Let’s go back and get something to eat.” I propose to the raven-haired girl who was now staring off into space. I begin to wave my hand in from of her face to get her attention. “Is everything okay?” 

“Let’s go,” Hyejoo says immediately and begins walking towards the wrong direction. Where is she going?

“Joo, it’s this way,” I say pointing to the direction that I’m beginning to walk to, but she kept on walking the other way until she stopped about ten feet away from me. 

“Let’s leave the woods.”