Chapter 9

Into the Woods

“Are you going to kill me?” The scared girl asked as tears fell down her face. All three of the girl's faces fell at the pitiful girl's words. 

“Of course not, we’re gonna get you some food, but tell us your name,” Hyewon said as she pulled the girl's hair behind her ear and out of her face.

“Yuri.”

-

“They have been in that room for almost 2 hours. Why haven’t they come out yet?” Wonyoung asks me as she plays with the holes she has in her jeans. I gave her a small smile and stood up from the bench we’ve been sitting at since we left that room.

“I don’t know, I think we should go in and see what’s happening. They were expecting you to come today anyway.” I grabbed Wonyoung’s hand that she was using to make the holes in her jeans even wider. 

“I don’t think that’s a good idea. I don’t want to disturb them if they are working on that girl still.” Wonyoung stopped moving and looked at her feet. Why can’t this girl just do what I say without questioning everything?

“They are expecting us to come anyway.” Wonyoung sighed and gave me a small smile. I returned her smile with my own. “Alright, let’s go.”

“Wait, can I come in with Y'all?” Hyejoo asked as she rubbed her arm.

“Of course you can,” Wonyoung answered before I could open my mouth. I looked at the younger girl and she just shrugged walking towards the door. She stopped right before we got the door and looked at me.

“What are you waiting for?” I asked with an eyebrow raised at the taller girl. 

“Aren’t you gonna open the door?” She asked as she furrowed her eyebrows and crossed her arms. What the hell? I’m not her personal door opener. Why can’t she do it herself? I rolled my eyes and opened the door and let her in first and then hyejoo then I walked through. I looked at Wonyoung and she smiled at me and thanked me for opening the door for her. What the crap? 

“You two have such a weird relationship,” hyejoo said as she pushed her way past us trying to find the three witches and the dying girl.

-

“Kim Chaewon!” I shouted down the hallway, but she didn’t even acknowledge my existence. Well, that’s weird. “Hey, Kim Chaewon I know you can hear me.” I ran up to her and tugged on her arm so she would turn around.

“Leave me alone Yena.”

What? I stopped in my tracks and let go of her arm. She still wasn’t facing me, but she just stood there facing the opposite direction. 

“What do you mean? We’re supposed to go meet up with Wonyoung and Yujin for our annual Friday night movie.” Chaewon never acts like this. I mean yeah sometimes she gets annoyed with me and tells me to stop, but she’s never told me to leave her alone. I heard her sigh and she finally turned around and she looked angry? Why is she angry?

“I’m not going tonight, I have plans.” Chaewon rolled her eyes at me then turned around and began to walk away. Plans? How does she have plans? We were talking about what movie we were gonna watch a couple of days ago and now she suddenly has other plans? A light in my head dinged. Maybe she’ll come if I tell her I invited someone else. Everyone seemed to like shuhua, so I invited her to hang out with us tonight and she gladly said yes, almost to fast in my own opinion, but whatever. 

“Chaewon wait I invited shuhua, I thought we could all hang out tonight,” I said with a smile on my face and a little pep in my step going towards Chaewon. Chaewon stopped then turned around faster than lightning then quickly dragged us into the girl's bathroom across the hallway. “Woah, calm down chae,” I said removing my arm from her grip and rubbing the sore spot she left there from grabbing me too harshly. 

“You invited her?” She asked with anger clearly evident in her voice. Why was she angry? I nodded my head in confusion and then she scoffed. 

“What’s wrong with you?” 

“With me? I’m not the one hanging out with a complete weirdo and inviting her to invade our Friday night movie.” My eyes widened at Chaewon’s sudden outburst. She’s never like this. She’s supposed to be the calm and reasonable one.

“Woah, what’s your problem? Don’t you think you’re being a little judgmental right now? You’ve talked to her a couple times and you think you already know her. She is a really nice person plus she’s very smart and is helpful.” I’m surprised by Chaewon right now. This isn’t the Chaewon that I call my best friend. After I got done with my rant Chaewon’s face fell and she almost looked sad. 

“Sorry, I guess I misjudged.” She said just above a whisper and ran out of the bathroom. What is wrong with this girl?

-

“Should we tell Kaeun?” Hyewon asked me as we sat on the sofa in the room where we left the hybrid girl. I sighed and laid my head back while my eyes closed contemplating our options. We could tell Kaeun and get her to help us solve this issue. We could just let her go and not let it be our problem, but Hyejoo was the one that turned her. Well, technically the vampire that found the girl before she did. 

“I don’t know, give me some more time to think.” I sighed rubbing my forehead at my newly forming headache coming in. My eyes widen at the sudden disturbance into Sakura, hyewon, and I’s house. The three girls looked flustered once they realized they invited themselves in and bowed their heads while they apologized. Of course, I knew who the girls were so my fear quickly faded. Heejin, Hyejoo, and the girl we’ve been waiting for Wonyoung. 

“We’re sorry for intruding. We were here early but you guys kinda looked occupied with a situation so we waited outside for a bit. Is that girl okay?” I froze for a second. They were in here while we were trying to help Yuri? I didn’t even hear them come in. I guess I was too engrossed in the screaming girl that was in front of me to notice the two bystanders watching. 

“It’s fine, Wonyoung was supposed to come today anyway for training, but we probably need to move that back to a later date.” I purposefully avoided Heejin’s question about the girl. I don’t think any more people should know about the situation till I figure it out. I looked over to Hyejoo looking at me with concerned eyes and I motioned her to follow me into the next room.

“How is she Haseul? She’s not dead right?” The younger girl asked with fear clearly etched on her face. I sighed and looked at the ground. Should I tell her? I mean she sorta has the right to know? 

“Follow me,” I told the younger as I led her into the room where I left Yuri. When we walked in I heard a gasp and unsurprisingly it was Hyejoo. I mean she did bring me the girl when she was in a near death state. Yuri looked up from the book she had in her head when she felt our presence in the room and immediately stood up and her eyes grew big at the sight of Hyejoo. Next thing I know Yuri ran up to Hyejoo and hugged her. I saw how uncomfortable Hyejoo looked so I gently pulled Yuri away from her.

“How are you alive? You were practically dead when I brought you here.” Hyejoo said more to herself then the smaller girl before us. The small girl smiled and this is the first time I’ve seen her do so. 

“You saved my life. I know it sounds weird because this is our first real meeting but I feel connected to you somehow.” I nod at the realization that she does have the werewolf trait of feeling connected to your turner, well vampires have that also I guess. Maybe that explains the sudden hug she gave Hyejoo. 

“Oh my god, we’re not allowed to turn people only Kaeun is. She’s gonna kill me.” Hyejoo said as she completely disregarded everything Yuri said to her as she began to pace back and forth. Jesus Christ, why is this girl always a giant ball of anxiety? 

“Hyejoo calm down,” I said as I tried to stop her from pacing. She turned to me with gigantic eyes and looked at me like I was the dumbest person alive. 

“I turn someone into a werewolf haseul I can’t calm down!” 

“Werewolf?” . We haven’t told Yuri anything that has happened to her yet. Hyejoo finally put her attention on the hybrid girl and furrowed her eyebrows.

“Yeah, I found you when you were almost dead and I guess a vampire bit you then I bit you so I thought were definitely gonna die, but somehow you’re alive for some reason. Speaking of that Haseul how is she alive?” Hyejoo told the girl like it was nothing before she turned her attention to me. , I guess it doesn’t matter anymore.

“She’s a hybrid, a werewolf, and vampire.” At this point, Yuri was practically sweating from all the sudden information she is receiving. Hyejoo, on the other hand, is clearly having a mental breakdown.

“I think I need to sit down”