chapter 8

Into the Woods

 

-After Classes-

 

“Have you seen Chaewon? I haven’t seen her since she left at lunch?” Yena asked me with a pout. I shrugged at the older girl indicating that I had no idea. 

 

“No? She didn’t go her afternoon classes?” That is weird, Chaewon never misses school even if she is practically dying. 

 

“Ugh well tell me if you see her I have to the library to meet Shuhua,” Yena said as she waved bye to me as she skipped down the hallway. What a weird girl, she went from pouting to skipping down the hallway to meet the odd pale girl. 

 

“You ready to go?” I jumped at the sudden voice appearing right next to me. I held onto my chest trying to catch my breath from being almost shocked to death. Heejin raised an eyebrow at my sudden outburst, but then quickly shrugged it off. 

 

“Yeah, can I change into something besides our school uniform though?” I asked pointing to my school blazer and plaid skirt. Heejin quickly examined my outfit and huffed in annoyance. 

 

“Why didn’t you change earlier?” Heejin asked as she grabbed my wrist and began pulling me out the building to our school. I grunted when the freshman was running down the pathway and ran straight into me as Heejin bulldozed us through them.

 

“School ended 5 minutes ago, I didn’t have time to go to my dorm and change.” I tried to pull my arm our of Heejin’s grip, but it was just too strong. When Heejin got us to the entrance of the woods she finally stopped and released me.

 

“Well, you don’t have time to change were supposed to be there in 10 minutes to start,” Heejin said as she walked into the woods and next thing I hear is cracking and I know I’m about to get another ride from the big wolf. 

 

“You’ve got to be kidding me, how am I supposed to train in these clothes?” I walked into the woods and asked the wolf in front of me. Heejin’s wolf is beautiful and quite large. She reaches to my eye, so we're basically the same height now. The wolf shakes its head at me almost in disappointment. Is she really making fun of me? Right now? She is letting her wolf make fun of me. This is a whole other low for me. Heejin’s wolf kneels on the ground so I could get on.  Well, time to go back to that crazy place. 

 

-

 

“Are you even human?”

 

“What?! Why?” Does she know? How? 

 

“You are so good at math it makes me feel stupid,” Yena said as she huffed tossing her pencil on the table that the two girls are sitting at. 

 

“Yena, you’re not stupid. Some people just aren’t that good at math. I’m sure your good at other things.” I said rubbing the brunette’s exposed arm. Yena suddenly flinched at my touch. I really need to start being more careful with that or they really will find out if that werewolf doesn’t sniff me out first. 

 

“Wow, you really are cold. Are you sure you’re not sick? Where is the jacket I gave you earlier?” Yena asked in an almost motherly tone. I really don’t want to kill this girl she seems really nice and innocent, but I don’t have a choice. If plan A doesn’t work then she’s plan B. I pulled out the jacket that Yena gave me and put it on to make her feel better I guess. After I did that Yena gave me a satisfied smile and looked back to the few practice problems I gave her to help her with math. I tried to look into the girls future, that was my power most vampires have a special power specifically for them. When I tried to look into the young girls future I saw nothing. I really feel bad for because she really is a nice person. I hear a creak towards the back of the library and I glance over there really quickly, but I already knew who it was. 

 

“Hey, Yena I’ll be right back. I need to check out a book for history.” 

 

“Okay, don’t take too long I’m sure I’ll need some help sooner or later.” Yena huffed and gave me a slight smile before turning her attention back to her work. I made my way to the back of the library and sure enough there she was. 

 

“How did you get in here?” I asked the curly haired brunette in front of me. She looked up from the book she was flicking through and smirked. She laid the book down and grabbed my hand and suddenly we were in the entrance of the woods on our side. I keep forgetting that she can do that even though it has been almost 100 years. 

 

“Shuhua that doesn’t matter. You need to stop toying around with the bait.” She said climbing up the tree quickly and sitting on a big branch. I huff and sit on the log on the ground staring up the girl.

 

“I have to get her to trust me first in case we need to use her, and we will apparently.” I sigh and look at the dirt thinking about how that innocent girl is going to die. 

 

“What do you mean?” The girl jumps from the branch to the ground to stand in front of me. 

 

“I looked into her future, there wasn’t anything there,” I said the last part slowly. 

 

“I wish we didn’t have to kill any humans.” The small girl sat next to me on the log and frowned a bit. Even though she is cold towards our clan I know she is a nice person. 

 

“Then let’s not do it Yuqi, it’s not set in stone we can save her,” I said with a smile on my face suddenly standing up and staring at the still frowning girl and I knew what she was about to say before she even said it because it’s what she always says.

 

“Shuhua, it’s not our choice it’s my father and the council’s choice. We are just here to do their dirty work.” Yuqi said with a hint of an emotion I couldn’t detect with the last part. It was almost like she was angry, but also sad. Yuqi always did what her father told her to. I understand why because that’s her dad and she trusts him, but sometimes he tends to go a bit too far. 

 

“I know, I’m gonna try and get the witch to your father.” Yuqi nodded and then patted my shoulder and giving me a sad smile.

 

“Don’t get attached to anyone it will just make it harder. Just do your job and get her back to my dad.” I nodded understanding what she meant. Attachments to humans were never a good thing, yuqi would know. 

 

“I know, I’ll keep you updated. We do have a problem though.” Yuqi gave me her full attention then. 

 

“What are you talking about?” I laughed nervously and sat back down on the log and played with fingers. Yuqi furrowed her eyebrows and scoffed standing back up. Did she just read my mind? I thought we had an agreement that we wouldn’t read each other minds.

 

“I thought we said that we wouldn’t read each other's minds.” I huffed standing back up crossing my arms. Yuqi gave me her devious smile that I tend to get often.

 

“Sorry, you took to long to answer.” I scoffed and rolled my eyes at the brunette in front of me. It was literally five-seconds or less it wasn’t like it was five minutes. “Anyway, don’t worry about the wolf. If she finds out you’re there then go to plan B.” I really hope we don’t need to get to plan B. 

 

-

 

“Heejin!” Jiwoo ran up to me and latched onto me like she was a koala. I kept my stone face as Sooyoung ripped her off of me. 

 

“Jiwoo, you know she doesn’t like physical affection that much.” Sooyoung scolded Jiwoo and pulled her so she was beside her and not invading mine and Wonyoung’s personal space. I looked over to the Wonyoung who was just smiling at the whole situation she just witnessed and that made me roll my eyes knowing she was gonna ask me about it later.

 

“Well, I have to go take Wonyoung somewhere so I’ll see you guys later.” I grabbed Wonyoung’s wrist probably a bit too rough and started to drag her through the camp to our destination, the witch corridors. 

 

“You don’t have to be in such a rush heej, we have plenty of time.” The taller girl gave me her famous warm smile and looked at the entrance to the place she is probably gonna be spending most of her time.

 

“Whatever, let’s go in.” I quickly open the door to see three girls standing around a girl I’ve never seen who is laying on a table. I look over to see Wonyoung’s shocked face at the sight of the mysterious girl being strapped to the table.

 

“Hyewon hold her down!” Haseul yelled at hyewon while she strapped her legs to the table. Sakura was running around to grab towels and water and there is me and wonyoung just looking at the situation in awe. 

 

“She lost a lot of blood. What is gonna happen to her?” Hyewon raised her voice to make sure Haseul and Sakura could hear over the small girls wailing. 

 

“I don’t know I’ve never seen this before, keep holding her down while try to get the fragments out of her.” The next thing I saw almost made me throw up. Haseul cut open the small girl's stomach making her scream louder in agony. How have they not even noticed us yet? I looked over and saw Wonyoung was crying while her eyes were glued to the scenario in front of us. 

 

“Haseul she’s losing the blood she has left,” Sakura screams at their leader. Haseul finishes what she was doing and went to go get this box from under the cabinet. She pulled out a needle and that was my cue to get us out of here. I grabbed Wonyoung’s hand and pulled us out of that crazy place where we were standing in front of it. Next thing I see is a flash of black hair trying to open the door and I put my hand on their arm trying to stop them.

 

“Is she okay?” The frantic girl who I sound realized was Hyejoo asked. Hyejoo is Kaeun’s little sister, I’ve never really seen much of her though. She usually keeps to herself. 

 

“Who?” I asked trying to pull hyejoo and wonyoung away from that building. Hyejoo pulled her arm out of my grip however and gave me a look. Jeez, I’m just trying to get her away from that crazy place.

 

“The girl they're trying to help of course. You two were just in there. How is she?” I froze as I remember the disturbing scene I just witnessed. 

 

“She didn’t look good.” That was the first thing I’ve heard Wonyoung say in the past five or so minutes. I looked at hyejoo and saw her face turn to complete sadness. 

 

“I’m such an idiot,” hyejoo said as she punched the tree next to us causing it to crack. That made Wonyoung jump, shoot I almost jumped to. I’ve never seen Hyejoo like this, she’s usually quiet and nice from what I’ve seen. 

 

“What happened to her?” Wonyoung asked the frantic girl while she hid behind me a little to get some distance from the distraught girl. Hyejoo closed her eyes and groaned. 

 

“I was just walking around the edge of the woods near the road that leads to the school and I heard a gunshot so I ran to where I heard it and didn’t see anything so I started walking again then I started to hear a loud groan about an hour later so I ran to it and saw that girl lying on the ground and I thought she was near death because I saw a wound on her stomach. I panicked then bit her so she wouldn’t die, which made her scream louder. Well, the twist is a vampire found her before me and bit her also. I bit her after she woke up and began her transition from human to vampire, so I think I did something to mess that up. She started to have like a seizure so I brought her to Haseul, Sakura, and Hyewon and she has been in there for an hour now.” Hyejoo explained to us to the point where she was almost in tears. What the hell is gonna happen to that girl? 

 

“What is gonna happen to her?” Wonyoung asked me with a frown present on her face. I wish I could answer, but I don’t know. 

 

“She might die, if she was bitten by a vampire then bit by a werewolf during the transition, hyejoo might have messed up the process. It might end up being too much for her and she’ll die. Plus from what I saw in there if she was either a werewolf or vampire her wound would’ve healed quickly.” I said sighing while sitting on the bench and rubbing my temples. This is starting to give me a headache. 

 

-30 minutes later-

 

“This can’t be happening,” Haseul said as she looked at the abnormal being on the table. “She should’ve died from the blood loss.” 

 

“What is happening to her? Her wound is healing by itself now.” Hyewon said as she pulled the bloody towels off the now perfectly fine stomach of the girl. Suddenly the girl starts to stir around while she is still strapped. 

 

“She is waking up, bring some water,” Sakura said as hyewon runs to the kitchen to grab something for the girl to drink. The girl starts to stir more until her eyes open abruptly in striking purple. Haseul’s eyes widen and she drops the glass that hyewon just handed her. 

 

“This isn’t real,” Haseul said as she looks straight into the eyes of the scared girl. The girl starts to move around and suddenly she breaks free from the straps. Haseul, Sakura, and Hyewon step far away from the strange girl. 

 

“I’m so hungry, please help me.” The small girl said as she approached Sakura frantically. Sakura froze in place and couldn’t look away from the girl’s purple eyes as she tried to figure out what she was. 

 

“Calm down its gonna be okay,” Haseul said as she guided the small girl to a chair so she could sit. “Could you give us three a moment please and then we’ll find something for you too eat.” The girl nodded the haseul pulled Hyewon and Sakura into a different area.

 

“What is it? What is happening to her?” Hyewon asked haseul nerves clearly evident in her voice. Haseul sighed and rubbed her head.

 

“I’ve heard of this once, but I didn’t think it was real.”

 

“Well, what is it?” Sakura urged the older girl on.

 

“Years ago our witch mother would talk about hybrids running around in the woods trying to find either a clan or pack to take them in. She talked about them having purple eyes and being half vampire and werewolf. Well, what I’m saying is that girl might be a hybrid and honestly she’s probably a danger to us all.” Hyewon and sakura stare and the girl in the other room in awe.

 

“She doesn’t seem that dangerous,” Hyewon said feeling sad for the young girl.

 

“Well, yeah, of course, she’s hungry. She’s probably really weak right now and she still managed to break through those straps.” 

 

“What do we do then? Does she need blood, or can she eat human food?” 

 

“I guess let’s find out then we can take her to kaeun to tell her,” Haseul said as she pulled the girls back into the room with the mysterious girl. 

 

“Are you going to kill me?” The scared girl asked as tears fell down her face. All three of the girls fell at the pitiful girl's words. 

 

“Of course not, we’re gonna get you some food, but tell us your name,” Hyewon said as she pulled the girl's hair behind her ear and out of her face.

 

“Yuri.”