Chapter 4

Into the Woods

It’s been three days since I last saw wonyoung. Kaeun and everyone else are waiting for me to bring her to them and I don’t know how to. I guess it’s not really helping that I avoid human contact at all cost. I just don’t know how to persuade her to come with me or even talk to her for longer than 30 seconds. I guess i’ll go to the library and do some homework since I’m in school again. I mean you miss one year and suddenly you become stupid, in math class I forgot what nine times five was for like a whole minute. I mean second graders can do that. I walk into the library and I get a weird feeling in my stomach. I look around the library and my feeling comes directly from of course, Jang Wonyoung. I guess she felt me staring at because she looked up. Then she jumped a little bit, did I startle her? She thens smiles and begins to walk over to me. Oh no, I’m not ready. I haven’t prepared what I’m gonna say to her. What if she catches on and finds out I’m a werewolf before I need her to? What if she already knows? Oh dear god please if your real make the ground swallow me up.

 

“Heejin, I haven’t seen you in a while. Where have you been?” The taller girl asks me with a small smile on her face. Before I even think to answer I see the book she’s holding, Witch facts 101. Well, isn’t that a bit obvious.

 

“I’ve been around, I’ve had a lot of homework and catching up to do from last year. You know since I’m basically restarting 10th grade.” She smiled and nodded then looked at the ground kicking nothing. She starts to roll back and forth on her feet and her face looked like she was thinking very hard.

 

“I don’t think you’re a freak!” The tall weird girl blurted out. What? I furrowed my eyebrows and laughed a little bit at her sudden outburst. The librarian came over to us and shushed us and wonyoung bowed to her apologizing. What does she mean she doesn’t think I’m a freak? Does she know all ready?

 

“Thank you?” I said even though it came out as a question. The raven haired girl cheeks suddenly turned a dark pink color as she started to back away from me a little letting her head fall down as well. I step towards her and grab her arm and shake it a little so she’ll look back up at me.

 

“I didn’t mean that you are a freak and that people think you are it’s just I don’t know I felt like saying it.” She nervously rubbed that back of her head while explaining her outburst to me. So she doesn’t know? I nodded my head letting go of the other girls arm my eyes make my way back down to the book the girl is holding a small smirk makes it way on my face. I take the book from the girls arms and I examine the book further. 

 

“You like witches?” I asked the frozen girl in front of me. She really looks like she’s about to have a mental breakdown. She finally comes back down to earth and she reaches for the book. I let her have it back, mainly because I didn’t feel the need to keep it I mean I already know. 

 

“I recently have an interest with them.” The taller girl almost whispers backing away from me again. As I keep walking towards her, her back hits the wall. She looks almost scared. Is she scared of me? If not, what? As I start to walk closer she puts are arm in front of me as if she’s trying to stop me. Suddenly a bolt of light came out of her hand hitting me on the chest throwing me halfway across the room. I groan in pain holding my chest trying to breathe again. Damn, she really knocked the breath out of me. I looked up and she wasn’t there anymore. You’ve got to be kidding me I was so close. Where the hell is she? 

 

-

 

“Have you seen Wonyoung today?” I haven’t seen the tall lanky girl all day. She even skipped school today, which is kinda weird. I never imagined her to be that kind of person. I mean I can’t really judge either it has only been 2 weeks since we’ve known each other and all I have is that she’s an awkward girl who is very inquisitive. 

 

“No, but I might have seen her run out of the library. I don’t know I couldn’t tell that girl was really sprinting.” Chaewon said as she giggled. 

 

“I’m kinda worried. When I got up this morning she wasn’t in our dorm and when I got to chemistry she wasn’t there either.” I huffed throwing my backpack over my shoulder. Chaewon patted my head as she said goodbye to me. Chaewon always leaves when I get mushy, she hates that crap. She’s not very good at expressing her feelings. As I’m walking down the hallway I see Heejin, I don’t dare look he in the eye. She still scares me for some reason, something about her is just off. I look up to her and she’s staring at me. Can she tell that I’m scared of her? I know Wonyoung said we should treat her like a person and not like a freak, but that doesn’t change that something is off about her. When I finally leave my thoughts I see out of the corner of my eye Heejin walking towards me. Is it too late to run and hide? Dang, she’s here.

 

“Have you seen Wonyoung?” That surprised me, why does she want to know where wonyoung is? I furrowed my eyebrows at the shorter girl. I crossed my arms over my chest now glaring at her. I never see her hanging out with anyone else, unless its wonyoung and she barely even talks to her. 

 

“No, I’m looking for her too. Well, not anymore I gave up and I’m just going back to my dorm to see if maybe she came back.” I said sighing while beginning to walk away from the stage girl. Suddenly I felt someones hand on my wrist, which I’m adducing belongs to Heejin. I turn around and look at the smaller girl and she quickly lets go.

 

“Can I come with you? I need to talk to her.” I sighed again giving the smaller girl a forced smile while nodding my head. Why did I Agee to let this freak follow me? Now she’s gonna know where I sleep. What if she tries and kill? My eyes widen at the sudden thought. Suddenly I heard a giggle from next to me. As I look over Heejin is covering with her hand trying to hide her smile. What’s wrong with this girl? 

 

-

 

Shoot. How can I clean all this up? Don’t panic Wonyoung, Yujin won’t be back for hours. She never comes back till late because she likes to hang out on the soccer field with some of her fellow soccer players. I turn around to begin picking up the mess I recently just made by god knows what when I hear the door handle start to jiggle. Oh no, this isn’t good. I start picking up trash and clothes and broken items throwing them into the trash can and into closet. Then suddenly two figures made into the room while I was attempting pick a big pile of trash.

 

“Wonyoung? What happened in here?” Yujin said as her eyes turned to the size of a golf ball. She picked up a piece of a broken vase of the floor, while she was eyeing the rest of the damage. The other figure who I soon figured out was Heejin just started to laugh. Why is she laughing?

“I um, a tornado?” I said wincing at Yujin’s sudden icy glare. She huffed throwing all the clothes and trash off of her bed.

 

“Wonyoung cut the crap, what the hell happened?” What can I say? Oh um I ran back here after accidentally launching heejin across the room and slammed the door open then suddenly everything flew and broke and trash went everywhere and it was just a big mess. I nervously whipped the sweat that was on my forehead trying to think of something to say. I looked over at heejin that was smirking at me as if she already knew what happened. Why isn’t she mad at me? I practically threw her across the library, or why isn’t she asking me any questions?

 

“Ok Yujin honestly I just walked into the room and boom everything was like this.” I said grabbing both her hands looking her in the eye. I know she won’t believe me but I just felt like I needed to tell her. She started to laugh as she removed my hands from hers. Heejin looked at her like she was crazy and honestly I don’t blame her yujin is acting kinda weird.

 

“Honestly I don’t understand you at all wonyoung. You always run away. You say weird things. You never tell us what’s happening to you, and now you're lying? Like how can you just walk into our room and it be like this?” She said throwing her arms in the air motioning to the big mess. I sigh while I sit on my trash covered bed. I don’t know how to make her understand. 

 

“I think you’re being a bit to harsh on her, this is a new school and she has to make new friends. Maybe, you try to be a little bit nicer to her.” I whipped my head to the side to see heejin giving me a small caring smile. Wow, I almost forgot she was in here. I felt the heat rising to my cheeks from heejin’s words. I barely even know her, yet she’s standing up for me. 

 

“Thanks.” I say directly towards heejin and she just nods her head. Yujin’s eyes softened and a soft smile formed on her face. She giggled a little bit.

 

“I really don’t understand you two at all. Wonyoung, I’m sorry that I got mad at you.” Yujin said to me as she patted my head like I was a dog. I raised my eyebrows at her because of her weird jester and she just laughed then slapped my arm. Heejin cleared to make her presence known again. Both of us looked at her expecting her to say something, but she just looked awkwardly at the ground. 

 

“Wonyoung I need to talk to you, alone.” Heejin said while she brought her head up looking me dead in the eye. Yujin pushed me towards the door ushering us both out before I even had a chance to answer the smaller girl.

 

“Go, i’ll clean up this mess. Don’t be out too late or else your dad might send the swat team.” Yujin giggled pushing us both out the door then locking it as soon as we were out. I looked up to heejin smiling awkwardly at me like she usually does when we see each other. Everything about our encounters are so awkward it almost hurts.

 

“What did you want to talk about?” Heejin looked around the hallway ushering me out the door in a rush towards the garden. She was practically dragging me there. We finally made it to the garden, shoot I really nee to work out more I can barely breathe. Heejin sat down on the bench playing with her fingers. She looks so nervous, she looks like she’s about to pass out. I sat down next to her and rubbed her back. Thats what my mom always does to me when I’m nervous and seems to work so why not try in on her.

 

“I know you’re a witch.” My heart stopped right then. I don’t even know if thats why I am for sure though. I mean yeah some really odd things happen around me, but that doesn’t mean I caused them. I stood up standing in front of the girl nervously pacing back and forth. How could she possibly know?

 

“I’m not a witch. I have no idea what you’re talking about.” I said firmly as I stopped dead in front of the girl. She just stared at me and scoffed. She stood up also glaring at me. Man her mood switched faster than I don’t know what. She huffed while she ran her hands through her long brown hair.

 

“Stop playing games, you’ve been pretending you haven’t known about me since I’ve been here. You think you’ve been hiding yourself well, but honestly not really anyone could tell your a witch.” I raised an eyebrow at her. What is she talking about? All these things just recently started to happen to me, and is she saying she’s a witch also? What the heck? 

 

“Look even if I am a witch thats news to me because all this weird crap just starting happening to me recently. I have no idea whats happening sometimes when I’m scared or nervous or angry boom stuff goes flying. Also, if I am a witch why are you not scared and running off to tell someone?” I asked out of curiosity. She seemed pretty calm about all this, but she basically admitted she knew all along. Oh right, she saw me in the woods that day when this all began happening to me. Wait, is this all because of her. My glare terms cold as cross my arms over my chest. “Did you do this to me? I mean known of this started to happen until you got here?” She laughed at me, I definitely wasn’t expected that. 

 

“I only came back to look for you, I couldn’t make you a witch even if I wanted to. You can’t just make somebody a witch, they have to be born with it. Wait, you didn’t have any of your abilities until that day in the woods?” The girl asked almost going into a panic. She started to pace back and forth like I was doing earlier. She started to say things like ‘kaeun is going to kill me.’ Who is kaeun? She was having a mental breakdown. I know that because I have had plenty myself. I grabbed the smaller girls hand trying to clam her down. 

 

“Calm down, it’s going to be okay. You’re so informed about all of this. Are you a witch also?”I asked rubbing the back of Heejin’s hand trying to keep her calm. She smiled a bit at me while shaking her head. She leg go of my hand went back to sit down on the bench. She looked back up with me, her eyes looked like all of her emotions left her. Almost like she was dead. 

 

“I’m a werewolf and I need you to come back with me.” Werewolves are real? I mean that would make sense if witches were real. All of this is just to much for me that I need to sit down also. I looked at the now emotionless girl trying to read what she was thinking, but I couldn’t. 

 

“To come back where with you?” Heejin looked me dead in the eye and smiled, but I knew it was a fake one because it didn’t quite make her eyes sparkle like her real smiles. I know I’m taking this really well because normally I would just ask millions of questions, but for some reason I don’t feel the need to. Everything just makes sense.

 

“The woods on the West side.” My eyes widen, that’s where all those girls were killed last year. I could tell Heejin knew I was nervous about that so she reached for my hand. 

 

“Its safe there now, you don’t need to worry. I’ll be there also, so if something happens or goes wrong I can help you.” I nod at the other girl looking up to the sky praying about what I’m about to say isn’t the dumbest mistake of my life. 

 

“Okay, I’ll go.”