Chapter 3

Into the Woods

Wonyoung, Don’t freak out. There is a logical explanation for all of this. The library, that’s exactly where I need to go. Of course, I’m sure one of those dumb books can explain what happened yesterday. I turn over in my bed and look at my alarm clock, 7am. I should probably get up and get ready for school. Or I don’t go because I am “sick” and go hide out in the library all day. No, my parents will kill me if I do that. I’ll just go during lunch. I look over to see an angry looking Yujin staring right at me. I almost fell off my bed. Holy crap that was scary, I forgot I had a roommate. She got up from her bed and walked over towards mine staring down at me with her still angered face. 

 

“Why didn’t you tell me yesterday was your birthday?” What? She’s angry because of that? I laughed as I yanked the covers off my bed getting up to be at eye level with her. She step aside crossing her arms waiting for an answer.

 

“Well, I didn’t know you guys all that well yet so I thought it would be awkward if I told you. You know since we’re not that close.” I smiled awkwardly walking around the room trying to find my tie. I heard Yujin gasp in the background so I whipped my body around and furrowed my eyebrows. What’s wrong with this girl? Why is she so dramatic?

 

“We are your new best friends. How dare you not tell us or even me yesterday was your birthday. Honestly I’m offended, it was you sixteenth birthday. Your sixteenth is a big milestone in your life, and you spent it all alone doing god knows what.” Yujin said flailing her arms around like a mad man. Jesus, if I knew this was gonna happen I would’ve told them. I didn’t know she was gonna have a freak attack. 

 

“I’m sorry, i’ll tell you if anything else important happens in my life then.” I gave the girl a soft smile, trying to make her calm down a bit. I saw her sigh and nod her head.

 

“Okay, I’ll forgive you this time. Next time something crazy or exciting happens you have to tell me though.” She pointed at me with a stern look. I laughed slightly then turned around to pick my things up. Then my face fell, should I tell her about what happened in the woods? No, I wouldn’t even know what to tell her. I don’t even know what happened. Oh no, that Heejin girl saw me. She didn’t say anything though, she just walked away. Well, she did say bingo. That was a little weird. Why would someone say bingo after seeing all of that? Maybe she went crazy after being missing for a year. She wouldn’t tell anyone, right? 

 

-

 

“I found the girl.” Kaeun smiled at me for the first time since I’ve been there. Wow, finally an accomplishment. Were moving up in the world heejin, no longer the scum of the earth. 

 

“Bring her to me.” Oh dear, how do I do that? My visible worry was clearly sketched on my face, because Kaeun’s smile faded with mine. She sighed and looked me dead in the eye.

 

“See, she just so happens to be the principle’s daughter, so their definitely gonna notice and care if she goes missing. I found out right after that she was the principle’s daughter, because as soon as she got out of the woods I saw some security and her father scolding her for going into the woods. Basically someone always has an eye on her.” I saw kaeun close her eyes and sigh in frustration. I stood there awkwardly rolling back and forth on my heels. After a few seconds she opened her eyes and looked at her desk. 

 

“Okay, Heejin I need that girl here. I don’t care what you have to do get her here. I need here and alive. This is very important, everyones lives are on the line. Heejin I chose you because I trust you to be able to do this. Can you do it?” Kaeun asked leaning towards me. 

 

“Yes, I can do it. I'll figure it out.” I stand up straight with a determined look on my face. I have to do this, I can’t let everyone here die. Kaeun gave me a slight smile while she sat back down in her seat. She waved me off signaling me to go. When I walk out the door I see Sooyoung and Jiwoo. They both give me a smile and pat me on the back.

 

“You’re doing a great job heej. Hurry up and bring her so you can come back and live with us again.” Sooyoung said while rubbing my head and giving me a motherly smile. Oh yeah, I forgot I have to come back. Come back to being locked in the woods away from civilization. I guess thats a good thing, everyone a Foxcroft looks at me like I’m some sort of alien. Well, I’m not exactly human anymore either. I don’t belong with them anymore. Jiwoo hugged me abruptly, she always does that.

 

“Please hurry and come back, it’s not safe for you there. What if they find out?” Jiwoo furrows her eyebrows in concern. Sooyoung pulls jiwoo off of me and laughs. 

 

“She is not gonna get found out, she’s very careful. Right?” I nodded my head with a slight smile. I miss these two a lot. Their like my honorary parents. I gave them both a hug before I started to head out of the woods. If I hurry up and get this girl I can go back to my life of hanging out with jiwoo and sooyoung and doing nothing. 

 

“Help!” What was that? Someone was calling for help, I closed my eyes and tried to locate where the sound is coming from. C’mon scream again, and she did. I sprinted out of the woods and right where the screaming was coming from. Is that the girl? The witch? I ran right up to her and she looked panicked. I got on my knees and was looking for some sort of scratch or something on her body, but nothing. I furrowed my eyebrows and poked the girl. She jumped and looked at me surprised.

 

“What happened? Are you hurt?” I asked scanning the girls body for anything, but still nothing. Then she started crying. What the hell? She grabbed onto my sleeve and pointed to something. I looked around and saw a little white bunny crying whinning on the ground. I rolled my eyes getting up from the ground and began to walk away.

 

“Wait!” The girl grabbed onto my ankle. I looked down at the crazy girl and tried to walk away, but her grip just got stronger.

 

“What do you want?” I asked half annoyed at the crazy girls actions. She began to cry harder. Why is she crying? What a freak?

 

“Please help me help the bunny. Its hurt and every time I try to pick it up it cries harder” I sighed and got back on the ground next to the girl and in front of the bunny.

 

“Its leg is broken”. I said as I looked at the bunny’s broken leg. The girls eyes widen in shock and she began to giggle. I looked at her confused. How can someone go from crying to laughing in seconds. 

 

“That makes so much more sense I was touching its broken leg.” She wiped her tears and looked at me then the bunny then back at me. Am I supposed to pick it up? 

 

“Why don’t you just fix it yourself?” I asked confused. Isn’t she a witch she can just do it in a second? Even Haseul can do it and she’s not even that powerful of a witch. The girl frowned and looked at me like I grew three heads.

 

“How in the world am I supposed to do that? Can’t you pick it up and help me bring it to the nurse?”the girl stood up brushing the dirt off her legs. Is she playing games with me? Ahhh I get it she doesn’t want me to know she’s a witch, so she’s trying to hide it. I smiled and nodded at the girl, fair enough I understand. I picked up the bunny carefully and put it in my arms. The other girl smiled and jumped in glee. Freak. 

 

“Thank you so much, my name is Wonyoung by the way.” She said smiling at me then petting the bunny. I nodded my head her.

 

“I know. I mean I’m Heejin.” She nodded and looked forward. This is gonna be harder than I expected. 

 

-

“Hey where were you during lunch?” I whipped my head around to see Yujin, Yena, and Chaewon. I jumped almost out of my skin. How did they find me? I thought no one came out here.

 

“How did you guys know where I was?” I asked finally calming down from the scare. Yena and Chaewon looked at each other as if they were talking with their minds, and then they looked at me and sighed. Yujin opened then closed it quickly. What is up with everyone? 

 

“Uh we saw you walking out of here with Heejin, so when we couldn’t find you we walked over here, and here you are.” Yujin smiles awkwardly at me. I furrowed my eyebrows looking at the three girls in front of me who were looking anywhere but me. Whats wrong with them? 

 

“If you knew where I was, why did you ask?” I crossed my arms over my chest looking at the girls. Yena cleared and looked at me and smiled awkwardly. Why is everything so awkward about this scenario?

 

“We just kinda wanted to know why you were with Heejin. Uhh you two are friends?” Yena asked nervously cowering behind Chaewon. Why is she acting like this? Why are they all acting like this? I just called for help and she helped like any normal nice human being, well of course after I begged her on my knees. 

 

“Umm I asked for help me came over and helped me, thats really it. Also, I mean we’re not really friends like I said she just helped me.” I said as I saw the three girls visibly sigh in relief. I scoffed at the three girls, honestly they’re being kinda rude. 

 

“Wonyoung, honestly I don’t know if you should hang around her. We don’t know what she’s been through or what happened to her. She isn’t the same as before, trust me she used to be so happy and adventurous. Now she’s sad and gloomy and avoids any sort of human contact, apparently besides you.” Yujin said as she grabbed my hand. I know she’s concerned for me and I understand why, but Heejin is a person and shouldn’t be treated this way.

 

“I understand, but don’t you think she deserves to have friends, or to be at least treated like a normal human being. Just because she was gone for a year doesn’t mean she turned into some sort of wild animal, maybe she went through some things. That definitely means she needs people by her side to support her. She doesn’t need to be left alone she needs friends, and you know what I’m gonna be her friend.” The three girls in front of me started to smile. Weren’t they like upset 10 seconds ago now they're smiling? Chaewon patted my shoulder. 

 

“Wonyoung you are special. I don’t know how or why but are I just know. You are right, we should ask heejin to eat lunch with us tomorrow.” Chaewon said smiling at all of us. Yujin and Yena nodded their heads in agreement. All four of us end up hugging for some reason that I don’t know, but I like it. I think I found a good group a friends to share my high school days with. 

 

-