Chapter 10

Into the Woods


4 Days later

“We’re running out of time Shuhua we need to get that witch girl before my dad decides to take it upon himself.” This is starting to get really frustrating. Every time I see that witch she’s around her friends or with the wolf. I can’t ever get her alone at this rate we will have to go with plan B, which really kinda . Yena is a nice girl, she doesn’t deserve to die. “Shuhua are you listening?” I sigh and nod my head.

“ I know but its hard she’s never alone.” Yuqi sighed looking at me dead in the eye with her striking glassy purple eyes. I looked down knowing what was coming next. 

“Shuhua, get that witch before the wolf finds you. When she does our cover will be blown. My dad commanded you to get him that girl and he is getting impatient.” Yuqi turned around trying to control her anger I know. I put my hand on her shoulder and she turns around with her eyes getting glossy. My eyes furrowed trying to figure out what was going through the curly haired girls head. She shook her head indicating me not to ask, but she should know better.

“Why are you suddenly so sad?” When I asked that the tears finally made their way down her small face. My heart broke seeing my best friend break down in front of me, which is not a normal occurrence. 

“Shuhua please just hurry and get the girl or even bring that human girl so we can lure the witch to us. Please shuhua you need to hurry.” Yuqi said with a bleeding voice as she threw herself at me and hugged me tightly. My eyes widen at the sudden physical contact. 

“Something is wrong. Why are you acting like this?” I pulled her away so I could see her face and her striking purple eyes and were replaced with warm brown ones. 

“He’s gonna kill you Shuhua. If you don’t hurry he’s gonna kill you.” What? Everything just stopped. My whole world is spinning. I feel like I’m about to faint. I looked around for stability and found a fallen tree trunk and sat down. I rubbed my head trying to comprehend what Yuqi just told me. I’m gonna die if I don’t get that stupid girl?

“How do you know?” I asked with all emotions erased from my body. I didn’t even look up to ask her the question I stay staring at the forest directly in front of me. 

“Soyeon told me. She said she heard my dad talking to one of his friends about killing you and finding someone else to find the girl if you didn’t hurry up. Shuhua please I don’t want you to die, please find that girl.” Yuqi got on her knees in front of me practically begging me not to die. 

“You shouldn’t kneel in front of me your dad would be mad to see his princess kneeling in front of a lower class.” I scoffed at the girl's morals. She was willing to let some innocent girl die or even two, but willing to save me, a girl who has killed many and done so much wrong. Yuqi’s eyes became soft and grabbed my hands rubbing her thumb over my palm.

“Shuhua, you are my best friend, I would kill thousands just to save you.” I scoffed again realizing she was reading my thoughts. 

“I thought you promised you wouldn’t read my thoughts.” Yuqi snickered standing up and pulling me up with her.

“Sorry, your thoughts are really loud its kinda hard not too. Shuhua, hurry up and get the girl or her friend and bring her back.” Yuqi suddenly became stern again. I guess its either me or the witch. 

-

“Youngie, let's go get lunch I’m starving,” Yujin said as she threw a pillow at me. I took out one of my headphones looking disapprovingly at the rowdy girl. I sighed throwing my head back onto my pillow. I really just wanted to stay in the dorm today. This is the first day in a week that I get a day off from the death camp training. I saw Yujin begin to sneak up on me from the corner of my eye.

“You better not Ahn Yujin or I will not speak to you for a week.” I saw Yujin stop in her tracks and put on her infamous pout when she doesn’t get what she wants. “Also, I don’t feel like going. Ask Yena and Chaewon if they want to.” I took my headphones off completely and covered up with my blanket and turning around to face the wall. I heard Yujin grunt, then a loud squeak from her probably throwing herself on her bed. 

“Chaewon and Yena have been acting weird lately. Every time I’m around them they seem uncomfortable around each other.” I turned around raising an eyebrow at the tall girl who is laying on her bed with her head sticking off. 

“That’s odd, they’re always with each other. Why would they be uncomfortable.” I asked sitting up and putting my small white puffy pillow in my lap.

“I don’t know. In math the other day Yena asked for a pen and Chaewon and Shuhua handed her one, but she only took Shuhua’s and then Chaewon scoffed and didn’t talk to us for the rest of class.” That’s odd, and who is Shuhua?

“Shuhua?” I questioned and Yujin finally sat up to look at me. 

“Shuhua is new, she came like 2 weeks ago. She doesn’t talk much, but when she does its usually only to Yena. Her skin is also always freezing cold which is freaking weird. She should probably see a doctor about that.” Yujin said and began to laugh to herself as she pulled out her phone to look at a message she just received. Hey, maybe that's the girl I ran into a couple weeks ago. Now that I think about her skin was pretty cold, how odd. 

“Let’s go” I groaned while pulling myself off my comfortable bed. Yujin shot up giving me her big puppy smile as she raced to get her shoes on. I laughed at the girl's eagerness to leave and eat.

“Ah, I knew you loved me Wonyoung,” Yujin said as she ran up and hugged me tightly before running to the bathroom to do whatever she needs to do. 

-

“Yujin, if you eat another piece of cake you might explode.” My eyes grew in amazement as the girl before me devoured her third piece of cake. Yujin finally looked up from her giant plate of desserts and squinted her eyes at me as she shoved another piece of cake in .

“Hey, guys!” A voice said excitingly as they plopped down next to Yujin the immediately discovered was Yena. I felt a presence begin to sit next to me that I thought would be Chaewon, only to realize it was the raven-haired girl I ran into a couple weeks ago. When I met her eyes a shiver went down my spine. Something about her presence was intimidating. She kept staring into my eyes like she was trying to read my mind. Our staring contest got cut off my yena coughing multiple times to get our attention.

“This is Shuhua, Shuhua this is Wonyoung. I don’t think you guys have been properly introduced.” Yena said with a big smile on her face. How is she happy all the time?

“It’s nice to meet you, Wonyoung.” She said slowly which is kinda weird. Something is weird about this girl.

“Nice to meet you too Shuhua,” I said with a low voice. Something about her makes me feel small and inadequate. 

“Well, this atmosphere makes me uncomfortable so let's talk about something,” Yujin said as she stuffed another piece of cake into and swelling with a loud gulp. “Where is Chaewon?” She asked looking around the cafeteria trying to find the said girl. Yena’s face fell quickly and she began to shift uncomfortably around in her chair. Something weird is happening between Yena and Chaewon.

“I don’t know, last time I talked to her she told me to leave her alone, so,” Yena said almost inaudible as she played with the fruit on her plate. I felt something being placed on my thigh. When I looked down I saw Shuhua putting a note on it. I looked up and she mouthed ‘read later’ to me and I furrowed my eyebrows, but she just put her attention back on Yena. 

“Okay, I’m over it! What’s wrong with you too?” Yujin slammed her plastic fork into her chocolate cake. Yena jumped slightly at Yujin’s outburst. I mean I can’t blame her either it shook me a bit also. 

“I don’t even know Yujin, why don’t you ask her since she won’t talk to me,” Yena said with a bit of sass in her voice, dang. Yujin’s face fell realizing she hit a sore spot on yena.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to get you upset.”

“It’s okay, c’mon Shuhua lets go do math.” As Yena and Shuhua left the table Yujin let out a huff and excused herself to go to the bathroom. Man everybody is in such a sour mood. I looked down and saw the small piece of folded paper on my lap. I picked it up and Began to open the letter. I opened it and realized it was a note written to me from Shuhua. ‘Come to the entrance of the East side of the woods tomorrow night. If you don’t come I’ll take one of your friends. If you tell anyone about this I’ll kill all your friends including that wolf that you befriended.’ My mouth fell open at the words written on the piece of paper. What the hell is happening? 

-