Chapter 7

Into the Woods


“A fifty-seven?!” 

“It’s what you deserve after staying up all night playing your stupid games.” 

“Kim Chaewon, take that back right now. My games are not stupid!” These won’t ever stop bantering with each other. Anyone from the outside would think they hated each other, but I knew otherwise. Choi Yena and Kim Chaewon are best friends and would do anything for each other, but they would never say that out loud. 

“You really need to care more about your grades yena. You barely even passed last year I had to beg Mr. Park to let you retake your exam so you could pass sophomore.” Did Chaewon really do that? 

“I know, but even if I do try I still can’t pass. I’ve tried trust me so I just gave up.” Yena said while she played her face on her desk while she pouted. This is the only class Chaewon, Yena, and I have together because they are a grade ahead of me. I’m a math ahead of my grade because my old school was weird and skipped a math that most of the other schools use. 

“I can help.” Who said that? All of our heads whipped to the back corner of class where the girl I met a couple a days ago when I was going into the woods with Heejin. The girl looked different. Well, I mean she looked the same but her aurora felt different. Outside of the school, she seemed low and solemn, but now she seemed happy. 

“What? Are you sure?” Yena said as she turned around completely so she could see the raven-haired beauty. The girl gave her a small smile and began walking towards us. She sat in the empty desk next to me and in front of Yena. Yena’s face grew a little red tint to it when the pale girl looked directly at her. 

“Of course, I tutored at my last school. I’m really good at math.” She smiled again showing her pearly white teeth. How is this girl so pretty? It literally makes no sense it shouldn’t be allowed. As I was stuck on the girl's beauty she looked at me and smirked. Why did she do that? She then began to giggle at me then she turned her attention back to Yena who was talking with Chaewon about God knows what.

“I’d really like that. Can I have your number?” Yena said as she handed the pale girl her phone. She frowned then pushed the phone back to her. That made me, Yena, and Chaewon form confused looks on our faces. 

“My family doesn’t believe in having phones. We don’t need them really.” She looked a little hesitant. Yena laughed a little then nodded her head.

“Well, we can meet in the library after school today if you're free?” The raven-haired girl smiled and nodded. She began to get up to walk back to her seat when Yena tapped her arm then quickly pulled away and rubbed her hand fast. “Wow, your skin is so cold.” The Pale girl froze for a second then turned back around and giggled a bit.

“Haha I know right. I get cold really easily.” She said but I could sense that she was getting nervous. I furrowed my eyebrows at her in confusion. Something isn’t right. The girl turned to look at me, but she didn’t show any form of emotion. She was just looking at me.

“That’s kinda weird, it’s kinda hot in here to me,” Chaewon said tilting her head at her. Yena nodded in agreement and pulled out a red sweater she had in her bag.

“Here you can have my jacket since your cold.” Yena smiled and reached out the sweater towards her. The raven-haired girl looked at the jacked as if she was contemplating whether or not to take it. Eventually, she did and thanked Yena as she put it on. She gave a quick goodbye and began to walk towards her desk again. 

“Hey, what’s your name?” Yena asked practically screaming where the whole class heard. The pale girl froze at Yena’s sudden outburst. Then she smiled her contagious pearly white smile.

“Shuhua.” 

-

“Didn’t that shuhua girl seem weird to you guys?” Chaewon said as she fed Yena as if she was her child. When Yena got done swallowed her food chaewon rubbed her head. Is she a dog? What the heck? 

“No, she is just new. She doesn’t know how to act around us Chaewon act a bit more considerate.” As soon as Yena finished her statement Chaewon smacked her in the back of her head lightly. I’m starting to get whiplash from their friendship. While the two girls were fighting Yujin sat down with us at our lunch table. 

“Why are they fighting again?” Yujin asked pointing to the two baboons in front of me. I then went to explain to her what happened during math. 

“She was so pretty Yujin, you need to see her,” Yena said excitingly throwing a grape into . As soon as she said that chaewon stopped trying to fight with Yena and she suddenly began to keep to herself. That’s kinda weird, is she okay? 

“Pretty? Do you have a crush on her?” Yujin jokingly asked as she pinned Yena’s nose. I laughed along with Yujin, but Yena and Chaewon seemed to be silent. 

“Yena was blushing in math today when Shuhua would look at her.” Yena’s eyes became wide as she threw her whole bag of grapes at me. Gosh, that kinda hurt. Yena’s face turned to beat red it was so funny. I looked at Yujin who was beginning to choke on her water from the hilarious situation, then to Chaewon who was just pushing around her food with her fork. 

“I was not. Just because I think she’s pretty doesn’t mean I like her.” Yena huffed then turned to her side to look at chaewon for some support. Chaewon didn’t seem to sense Yena’s needing of help because she kept on staring at her food. “Hey Kim Chaewon, are you there?” Yena waved her hand in front of chaewon to try and gain her attention. 

“I have to go to the bathroom,” Chaewon said as she threw her lunch into the trashcan and stormed out the door. 

“That was weird. Is she okay?” Yujin asked still staring at the door Chaewon walked out of. Yena shrugged and frowned while stuffing her face with more grapes. I breathed in and I felt something, something different I can’t explain it. I feel like someone is staring at me. I looked around the room and nothing. I turned around back to the entrance of the cafeteria and of course, it was Heejin. It must’ve been her. 

“I have to go, I’ll see you guys later,” I said to the two girls left at our table and practically skipped over to Heejin with a big smile on my face, whereas her face was like a stone as usual. 

“We have to leave right after your afternoon classes don’t forget,” Heejin said sternly as if she was my mother telling me I have a doctors appointment after school. Well, technically she isn’t my mom apparently. That thought made me a little sad and I assumed Heejin could tell because she gave my arm a quick rub. Man, that’s the most physical contact I’ve had with her since we met a couple of months ago. 

-

“Is that the girl?” 

“Yeah, she somehow can’t tell that I’m a vampire though. Her friend, on the other hand, I don’t know. She is a werewolf, part of Kaeun’s pack.” The person said with a sigh.

“Kill the wolf, then bring her fast or my dad will get mad.” The girl said with almost no emotions.

“Kill? I think that’s a bit extreme.”

“Do what you have to do to get that girl to us.”

“What if she doesn’t want to?”

“Then motivate her, take one of her human friends if she refuses.”