The Longevity Mountain

The Goddess Of Luck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Streams of bright orange streaked the earth, but there was a certain coolness in the air. Light-pink blossom trees decorated the foot of the Longevity Mountain. It was said that by climbing the mountain and eating it's Longevity Peaches, one would complete the last step of attaining longevity and youth, making them half an immortal.

Sat at the foot of the Longevity Mountain was the Goddess of Luck. What was she doing there? No one really knew, actually. She wasn't guarding the mountain, nor was she there because she thought Longevity Peaches were tasty.

The Goddess of Luck was one of those Gods who didn't hang around in heaven very often. She attended the yearly feast in the Heavenly Palace with all the other Gods and Deities, but other than that, no one really saw much of her. She roamed wherever she wanted to on earth, not really interacting with anyone.

Today, she decided to take refuge next to the Longevity Mountain, hoping she could get some time alone, and that no one planned to find Longevity Peaches that day.

She was zoning out as usual, but pretended to be meditating. She had also made herself invisible to mortals as seeing her pearl might incite requests from them.

In the distance, she saw a rather well built man walking towards the mountain. He was tanned, good looking, and apparently, oh so stupid.

"That guy'll die by dawn, the poor idiot..." The man in question was not dressed to deal with the chill of the night that was drawing near. And if the cold didn't get him, the approaching demons the Goddess sensed, would.

He was still roughly 50 miles off the foot of the Longevity Mountain. Taking a sniff, the Goddess shook her head. That man would be irresistible to demons, he smelt too good.

The Goddess of Luck took an interest in the man, despite the fact that he ruined her plan of getting time alone. He seemed determined, maybe skilled enough to hold off a demon or two assuming he had almost attained longevity, but he wouldn't get to the mountain in one piece.

"Should I help him? It'd be a pity to see such beauty and skill die... But then how much do I care?" Some might find it cruel, ungodly that a Goddess would even debate saving the life of a human. But to her credit, she rarely cared for mortals in the first place.

Suddenly, a demon she really detested jumped the man in a surprise attack. This demon was no ordinary monster; it often harassed Goddesses, as it wanted to sleep with them to grow in power. It never succeeded of course, but it was irritating to watch it try.

The demon appeared to the man in it's true form, a rotting maggot-filled skull of a giraffe attached to a bloody ribcage twice the size of a regular human's, which scared the living daylights out of him. He screamed, but tried to fight the demon off, showing a strong refusal to perish in it's foul hands. The demon merely laughed, and was prepared to devour the man.

She made up her mind immediately, deciding to help the man just to spite that annoying creature.

And the Goddess of Luck revealed herself.

"Yah, Lee Kwang Soo, are you harassing humans now?" Hearing his full name, the demon was shocked. And absolutely terrified.

Like pure luck, a hellhound was running through and took the mischievous demon back to the underworld.

The Goddess of Luck laughed heartily. "That thing won't be back for a while; have fun climbing out of hell!" She continued to walk away after, but then the human held on to her hand. He seemed entranced by her.

"Miss, what's your name?"

She looked into his eyes. He seemed genuinely grateful, but there was also lust and desire in his gaze.

Up close, the scent of the male was even stronger. He was a mix of the refreshing scent of greenery after a long, cold thunderstorm; petrichor, and a freshly grown batch of baby's breath. It was an uncommon smell, but oh, so intoxicating.

She decided to give him her name, for fun.

"My name? My name is Song Ji Hyo."

And then she vanished.

The Man was shocked. He called out for her, fear and loss in his voice.

"Miss? Song Ji Hyo-ssi? I just wanted to thank you! Please come back!"

Eventually, he gave up and continued on his journey, hoping the gorgeous woman was safe.

Unbeknownst to him, she was still watching. He just couldn't see or hear her.

"Aigoo, calling for me? How cute..."

She unconsciously followed him on his journey, subtly keeping him safe. Each time he shivered, she couldn't help but make the air warmer fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter