━☆⌒* CT09

Under The Lights

CHAPTER NINE

Far And Distant

Yellow daffodils, green leaves, and pastel blue sky – it is such calming view to wake up to. Instant rush of wind blows into the confined room as soon as a male in his early twenties slides the window upwards, letting himself loose while neatly adjusting the tie around his neck before sweeping his bang in front of the mirror. After perching a pair of thin rimmed glasses on the bridge of his nose, the fellow turns towards the door and makes his exit.

A new routine has been set up. It is unlike him to show up early to class. Hence, the amused expression of a same aged acquaintance seated a couple of rows back. To think that he will at least strike up a simple Hello to the other is out of the box. Even with them being in the same independent production, met up over the weekends to discuss about it, it appears that Wonwoo is very much a quiet person within campus.

Poetry and Lyric Writing.

That is the only class he conveniently shares with Jihoon for the particular semester. Since Wonwoo chooses to dive into his own world of fiction, the younger lad opts to do the same by blasting instrumental music into his ears. Might as well make use of the time he has and try to see how the lyrics to the current project fit with the music he composed last night.

As the three hours class comes to an end, the Music major quickly packs his notes before sprinting over to the Writing major, who seem to only have one facial expression every time they are together. Or during any other time really.

“Do I have to be at the studio this evening?” Jihoon went straight to the point when he managed to get Wonwoo’s attention. The fellow’s eyes glance away for a brief second before returning to make his reply. “Well, if you’re free, you’re more than welcome. Jun told me it’s just a script reading session today.”

“Oh, I guess I can swing by Soonyoung’s today instead then.” He stated whilst bobbing his head thoughtfully. The plan sparks an interest in the other. His eyes brighten a bit if one actually pays attention to detail. “Are you going to give Soonyoung the songs today?” Wonwoo already heard four songs in total and he clearly recalls Jihoon saying he will only meet up with Soonyoung when he has all music complete and ready to go.

“Might as well. Freaking Kwon Soonyoung has lots on his agenda in and out of the production. He has to choreograph the dances for the play, his own class assignments, assisting the Lighting department, and acts in a minor role for his Theatre Acting class, extra credit. He’s mad crazy if you ask me. Wait, why am I even telling you?” Jihoon asked himself rather than Wonwoo which causes him to laugh a little.

“I’m not surprised honestly. Soonyoung has always been like that.” The smaller one scoffed almost naturally. Not that he has anything against Wonwoo or anything to begin with. “You talk as if you know him that deep. Anyway, gotta go. Having Mr Park’s guitar class at eleven.” With that said, Jihoon’s figure immediately vanishes since he is not planning to miss the savage lecturer.

He rather not has the supposedly former student of Seoul Institute of Arts turned teacher threaten him with a guitar. That situation alone makes him feel weird as if it is something he would do in an alternate universe.

Wonwoo merely shrugs and his brain creates the next plan for the day. Following after that eight in the morning class, he has another class at two and it is only ten forty five. There is approximately three hours and honestly he is not feeling like taking a trip to the library. Not when he wants to switch things up in his life.

Reason. The reason behind that intention is due to the fact it is his final year in SIA. He figured he might as well slow down once in a while and takes a good look around campus instead of hiding himself as per usual. The university is quite big if he bothered stopping to have a quick breather, inhaling the fragrant spring scent.

Which leads him to the performing arts campus quad after purchasing a light meal: just bread with strawberry jam on the inside and coffee because nothing beats a cheap cup of instant beverage from the cafeteria in the morning. He claims a bench. A shade provided by nature is the best kind he reckons before tearing the plastic packaging, not forgetting to prop a manuscript of Night & Rain to kill the time.

Scribbles, arrows, stick figures, circles – you name it. All of it are scattered on his own copy of his own work. In reality, it took him half a year to produce the current play. He keeps in mind on how he screams in delight upon finishing them. That made his former roommate eyeing on him weirdly. No one will understand his suffering, he thought.

This play, Night & Rain, is not just a play he put together for the sake of selling for some pocket money or because someone from Rose Quartz came to him, paid even. NR is special mainly because it is supposed to tell a story, his story. Even though Seungcheol might saw it as cliché (which is a Creative Writing student most hated word for some reasons) but he is very glad to know the Director agreed and even took him in as the Assistant Director.

Nevertheless, is he really glad on having a very expected set of team?

Wonwoo knew. He knew only one person makes the cut to take over Jeonghan and Jisoo’s position as the RQS Production Artistic Designers. He was there back when Park Chanyeol being Director Lee Changsub’s loyal Scenographer which passed down to Oh Sehun during Hyunsik’s time of directing. It surprises him that he still able to recall their names after a year and additional months slipped into the theatre life.

Kwon Shinyoung. It will be a lie to admit he did not think of her when they were looking for the play. He unconsciously had been eyeing on her previous works in various positions. And he can very much see, the girl such excel in whatever she is doing. In the Lighting department however, she shines the brightest.

Sadly, in Wonwoo’s view, that is the only department she will ever stay comfortable in. He has his reasoning to every single opinions escaping from his mouth. Most of them might not well express yet he wishes she can translate it well. So far, he is only witnessing something that does not stick to his heart. There is something lacking.

And he has no idea what it is.

The coffee stood by his side is already cold once he had unconsciously munched every bit of the snack in his hand. Crumbs gathered on top of the script and he easily gets rid of it by turning the text upside down. Once he is sure nothing is lingered, he returns them on his lap before his eyes shoot upwards, only to catch Shinyoung’s figure metres away from him.

It is not the best to approach her, he hesitantly speaks in his mind. He seems to predict an outcome to his thought before he even carry it out to proven the statement. Maybe it is just him being a fool or he just cannot remember why they are how they are. It is confusing and he cannot seem to conjure a way to overcome the tension.

Her lone self is later then joined by someone who he vaguely remembers. Vaguely defines best as he only meets the boy a couple of times and most of them are for the play. He should know the fellow since he is playing the lead male character. He is playing as himself though the boy will never figure that out unless he told him.

 


 

“I will mess up it. Probably. At least a little.” Shinyoung confessed whatever is running in her mind once Minghao came by after his class. Since there are times to spare, they are there discussing about the incoming presentation for Cinematography class. “I clearly recall Mingyu saying how you spit fire during presentations.” He good-naturedly laughs which he earns a total opposite from the girl as a respond. A deep frown and a hint of pout.

“I don’t spit fire during presentations. I spit facts and unheard opinions. It’s a risk because it either gives me extra marks or having them deducted simply because the evaluator is being salty.” She told him while she nonchalantly retrieving aforementioned moments. Well, it could have been worse, she supposed.

“Ms Han can be a bit picky sometimes. But honestly, I’m sure she’ll like to listen to your insight. Just like how Jungkook and I appreciate your and Mingyu’s points about some things. I guess picking Lighting and Sound are not the worst decision after all.”

“Ah,” Shinyoung swats her front as if there is some sort of insect disturbing her sight but in reality, it is just her wanting to slap the thought about the presentation away. She has other things to think about so she just loosens her surface tension by plopping her head on the picnic table. She mutters, “Can we talk about something else?”

Minghao’s shoulders shake, not knowing a decent subject to bring up. It is usually her doing most of the talking whenever they are in such situation. Pursing his lips thoughtfully, his eyes take a quick swipe on his surrounding and lands on someone he acknowledges as Shinyoung’s unspoken past.

“You know, I never ever seen Wonwoo outside of his comfort zone.” She immediately lifts her head upon hearing him saying it. Blinking for a good second, Shinyoung catches Wonwoo’s lonely figure underneath the tree. She honestly will not notice him in a brown coloured shirt that almost blends in with the bark behind him. Glasses should be her best friend if this keeps on happening.

“You still owe me a story about him though.” Minghao beams a small smile over to her direction which she must say, it is not needed. The story will come when it comes, Myungho. She wants to say that but the words stuck on for an unknown reason. “It’s not even interesting to tell anyway.” Shinyoung chose to mumble and returns her head on the table once again. A short laugh comes out from the boy.

 


 

He gets it a lot.

A word. The word. Very common word. Crazy. Insane. Mad.

That is seemingly the best way people may describe Soonyoung aside active and out-going. Beads of sweat are wiped away once he slides his back against the wall. Provided that he just nailed choreography for his class assessment, he deserves a rest yet the script in hand proven otherwise. Not a fan of procrastination and dedication is his prized possession.

He supposed waiting for Jihoon and his expertise in music composition inside his zone is better than anything. It is not like it is uncommon to catch him sprawled on the floorboards with hands and mind preoccupied.

His ears however pick up a sound coming from the door and he is hoping to see the friend he had been anticipating for the past ten minutes. Yet Soonyoung’s body instantly springs upwards and wide eyes are shown to the new comer. He never thought that he will be seeing him outside of the RQS Studio building.

“What are you doing here?” Soonyoung was quick enough to question Wonwoo who simply stopped his pace by the entrance. Amused to witness the reaction, the latter makes his reply, “Jihoon told me he’ll be giving you the songs and he’ll meet you here. So I thought it’ll be a good idea to join as well.”

“Huh,” He is clearly out of words. Also, he feels like Wonwoo made a legitimate reason and obviously it is unintentional to be there before Jihoon, Soonyoung contemplated. “Well, Jihoon will be here in a bit. Just don’t…don’t disturb my needed concentration.”

“What are you doing?” Wonwoo asked, genuinely curious once he places his bag pack on the ground and tries to start a conversation. Soonyoung shrugs and plops his body again with the script within his view. “Memorising a script.”

“Oh, right. You’re Acting minor. What play did you land on?”

Why are you interested about me all of the sudden? Soonyoung uttered as he continuously maintains his attention on his current activity but it is declining the more time passes by. Squinting his eyes at the talk, he answers, “Just one of the Theatre Production Directing class. It’s for their final assessment.”

“Is it Jun’s?”

“Yeah. Probably.”

And the quietness of the dance studio goes on. Until Lee Jihoon comes and saves the day…and their sanity plus awkwardness on the side.

 

 MEET THE CREW