━☆⌒* CT08

Under The Lights

CHAPTER EIGHT

At The Start

Three years back…

“Junhui! Moon Junhui!”

The sight of a girl donning a simple plain white shirt and black training slacks ran down the crowded hallway, gathering a number of glares and unsatisfied mumbling negative words straight to her direction. Her bouncy brunette hair was tied high and tight as she kept the same speed before arriving at the mentioned name by his locker.

“What’s up?” Junhui said shortly when Shinyoung panted in front him and his eyes scanned downwards as she was holding onto her knees to catch her breath. “Did you get it? Tell me you get in. I don’t want to go alone.” Shaking his head, the boy took out a paper out of his bag. He knew what the girl was talking about so he did not have the heart to delay her excitement.

Shinyoung’s eyes widened when she managed to look up to breeze through the paper in Junhui’s hand. Snatching it out of his grasp, she read. By doing so, she was not able to catch her friend’s change of expression. Her level of thrill slowed down nonetheless as the time continued to drag. Right on the third line of the entire letter, her heart stopped. Saddened upon witnessing it first hand, she glanced up to meet Junhui who faked a smile.

“You didn’t get what you wanted…” She spoke oh-so-softly, afraid that her loudness would further bring down the other’s feelings. His name was there. His high school achievement. His application to the Seoul Institute of Arts. Everything was there.

Everything except for the course he had been dreaming of ever since he was a little boy. She might not be there to witness his talent but she could see his passion in them. She too felt the disappointment in her friend.

“I got Theatre Production. I guess that’s not the end of the world.” Junhui whispered. The energy had already declined when the letter reached his hand. Instead of arriving in his hand with bold words ‘Theatre Acting’, he got what was supposedly was the second option.

“But that can’t be it! You were a child actor in China! How come you didn’t get Acting? That’s insane!”

Were is the keyword there, Miss Kwon. How about you? What did you apply for anyway?” He directed the question away from him and focused on the girl instead. He was not in the mood to talk about his current situation. Her head hung low, looking at the floor as if it was the most fascinating scene to view.

“I applied for Scenography…”

“You actually did it.” To say he was surprised was an understatement. Shinyoung always offered a lot of surprises and to hear from herself saying it still a bit shocking nevertheless. “You actually switched lane from Artistic Writing to Theatre. Are you crazy?!”

“I-”

“Wow, I guess he really convinced you, huh?” He added on and none of them dared to maintain a decent eye-contact. “I mean I don’t blame him. He is good at that.”

The male’s eyes held onto the surface of his locker briefly before taking the letter from her hand. His voice was spoken lowly yet it rang and echoed in her consciousness. “Let’s just head to Rose Quartz later after school. I have to practice for the show. It will probably the last time I’m able to act on stage so-”

“Jun!” Shinyoung called when he spun on his heel, retreating away from her figure. Seeing that he had no intention to look back, her shoulders dejectedly slouched.

 


 

Not even the buzzing surrounding was able to take away her stillness. With hands busying itself with the wires within her circle, Shinyoung plugged a few of the spotlights that needed to be testing for the full rehearsal. It was not a full dressed rehearsal but still, the head of the lighting department thought it would be good to be well prepared.

As she was glancing to her side where she was able to see Junhui practising alone whilst the rest were adjusting their body mic, she the nearest electrical outlet which suddenly sparks a small flame. Screaming was all over the vicinity with the guys instantly broke into a run to find a fire extinguisher.

For some unknown reasons, she was unfazed of the entire event. Her eyes were on the guys, putting the tiny flame out and she unclearly registered someone screaming at her. From the corner of her eyes however, she got a brief look of her friend. After what it felt like moments passing by, Shinyoung sensed a figure looming behind her. And she knew who it would be.

“Are you alright? You don’t look at your best today.”

Min Yoongi, he was the Head of the Lighting Department for the play titled: Brother Act – directed by who Shinyoung would label as her super senior, Lim Hyunsik. He was one of the last three directors from the first generation of Rose Quartz and Serenity Production. She supposed that she was privileged to work under his direction though not directly. The kind leader gently patted a cushioned chair for her to sit and he took his original spot on the second floor of the hall.

From the top, they could see everything that was happening on stage. It would be the best seat among all seats there were in existence in the performance hall which the production partially own. Without the blinking LEDs going on and off on the boards on the table in front of them, Shinyoung would have able to see Hyunsik gathering his fellow cast on the centre stage.

“You know, if you keep quiet like this, I will never know what’s wrong with you,” Yoongi spoke as he lowered his gaze to match her eyes which were focused on her laps instead of his eyes. “There’s nothing to report.”

“Of course there’s nothing to report but you do realise you just connected the wires with different volts, right? But I’m not going to yell at you. Mistakes happen. Though admittedly, Hyunsik would pull you out of the team immediately. So I’ll do that before he does.” He assured and gently placed his hand on her shoulder. It was shaking. Though subtle, it was there. She was going to break any time soon.

“You’re going to kick me out of the team?” Shinyoung finally lifted her head to meet with his worried gaze. She sighed gratefully when she saw his head shook to deny her statement. “You’re far most the best lighting girl there is in this team. The only one at that. After that stunt you pulled, I have an idea coming up.” Yoongi turned away and nodded his head at the lighting board.

“I’ve learnt from someone you’re going for Scenography for a degree. I must say, it’s very daring of you to make a switch from writing to theatre works. I took Sceno as a minor, focusing more on the technical aspect of it. This will help you get a head start.” He explained and smiled, “I’ll teach you how to design a lighting sequence. Who knows? Maybe rigging is not really your thing, right?”

 


 

Present time…

They are still at the same spot before choosing to sit at the long table on the second floor to get a better view of the entire proscenium as she told her story. A long intake of oxygen is enough to calm down before glancing at the photo in hand – the very first Lighting Team she ever joined in RQS Production.

From the start, she knew taking risks is something within her nature. It does not come by often but she will not be here, sitting on the technical area to figure out a design. She figures, there is a lot of names she would like to thank and obviously one of them would be Min Yoongi.

Unfortunately, they lost contact when the older male graduated from both the university and production simultaneously. He had no intention of staying so he left when the second generation of Rose Quartz and Serenity Production was in charge. His last work with them was tied with his major in Music Composition, producing songs for Hyunsik’s play – Finale: Our Concert. Now, he is out there as a full-time Music Producer at a popular entertainment agency. His name is everywhere too especially when he released a mixtape of his own.

“But you and Junhui seemed just fine talking beforehand,” Minghao spoke and listens to her reply. “We made up once the practice session was over. Yoongi told me it’s the best to talk it out and to be honest even without him telling me, I would do it regardless. I don’t like silent treatment or any form of fighting. That is until…”

“That is until?”

“That is until…Wonwoo came back into the picture. That is a story for another day. The connection we had ended badly so it made sense for it to restart as bad.” Shinyoung pursed her lips whilst explaining and sees Minghao bobs his head. Funny – that is the word she thought when her eyes meet with the boy. It is funny how she is able to have a continuous conversation with him. Well, she did say she is better at this kind of conversation rather than huge group discussions.

The silence abruptly stops at the ringing phone owned by the girl. Upon witnessing the caller’s picture and name, she answers. “What’s up, Soon?”

“My dance practice is up. Anyway, I’m feeling black bean noodle for today. Do you want to tag along?” Soonyoung’s voice sounded a bit breathy which further proven his activity for the day in fact ended. “Actually, I’m planning to head over to Rose Quartz to return the performance hall key and-”

“Performance hall key? Are you there alone? Isn’t it dangerous for you to be there alone?”

“Soon, chill. I’m with Myungho. Speaking of Myungho, do you want to tag along?” Shinyoung takes the phone away from her ear to ask the question. “It’s okay. I’m planning to leave anyway. Take care.” Minghao said, nodding his head knowingly. Based on the simple pathway, he makes his way out of the building.

“Let’s meet up at RQS then. We’ll eat there. Like the good old days.” The dancer laughs at his own statement and the Scenographer copies because her friend’s laughter is that contagious. “See you there then.”

After a distance of walking to return the mentioned key, Shinyoung climbs the stairs, taking two steps at a time. With the studio empty, the stillness lingers in the air until she reaches a place in the vicinity.

Like the good old days, she wondered and reminisces once she pushes the single door open which leads to the rooftop. It is not that high from the ground since the building is only four stories tall so she can see Soonyoung’s springy footsteps from her spot. Trailing by his side is a recognisable figure. Though small, his push appears to be strong since she notices Soonyoung wincing at the action.

“I hope you don’t mind me joining you guys all of the sudden.” A voice came out behind the dancer before he reveals himself by stepping to the side to show his presence. Smiling, Shinyoung shakes her head. “It’s fine. We’ll meet sooner or later anyway.”

Lee Jihoon is not someone she ever talks to but she acknowledges his existence on campus. If chances were given, she would want to be friends with the fellow seeing how Soonyoung managed to have someone with the total opposite of him as friends. Well, Soonyoung is literally friends with everyone after all so it is not a surprise. Looking at Jihoon at a closer view, he sure reminds her of someone.

“Seungcheol and Wonwoo want to meet me here after this if any of you are wondering why I am here,” Jihoon said casually as his hands and eyes are very much fixed on helping Soonyoung prepping their takeouts. Oh yes, she does wonder about that for a quick second. She guesses Seungcheol has a knack in meeting up with his crew personally.

“What for?” Shinyoung chose to question his agenda while they are at the topic. “We’re going to discuss the songs I composed. I did have trouble making the music for a couple of the songs so I really need Wonwoo to explain what that is all about.”

“Why not ask that brilliant cousin of yours?” Soonyoung slipped in and thoughtfully passes Shinyoung’s order to her and Jihoon rolls his eyes before answering. “I’m not going to improve if I depend on him, okay? Besides, he’s busy trapping himself in his Genius Lab. Apparently, there is a comeback preparation or something. I don’t remember what he said.”

“Wait for a second,” The girl verbally told the fellow to pause, “Min Yoongi is your cousin?”

“From my mother’s side? Yes. He is. I got that question a lot.”

“Sorry.”

“Shinyoung admires Yoongi if you can’t tell.” Soonyoung playfully stated, earning a light smack on his arm which he whines for the number of hits he has been getting the whole day. “I understand your standpoint. Who wouldn’t?” Jihoon slurps his noodle after saying that and adds on. “I would follow his steps too, taking Sceno for my minor but I don’t want people out there think that I’m a carbon copy of him. It’s tiring enough to hear people saying how much we look alike visual and talent-wise.”

“Looks? Somewhat. Talent? Nope. You guys have your own individual colours.”

“Exactly.” The Music major agreed wholeheartedly at the girl’s fact. He wishes there are more people with the same opinion too but he cannot have everything in the world, can he? “Anyway, did Soonyoung text you the anime list yet?”

“Oh yes! I did. Man, I haven’t met anyone that watches The Law of Ueki in SIA. And I was like, why didn’t I thought about that one before? Goodness, you saved my final assignment there, Jihoon.”

“Ahem…” Soonyoung purposely interrupted which causes Shinyoung to roll her eyes and slaps his arm once again. “And you saved it too. So, I was thinking of cosplaying-”

With another hour of geeking out (Soonyoung’s words) with Jihoon about the picked anime and a character, the trio good-naturedly discusses about the play they are in and their progress on the show. There is a lot going on and to conclude: Soonyoung cannot finish his choreography without Jihoon’s music which means he cannot help Shinyoung on the Lighting department yet.

Fortunately, the technical department can still take their time preparing until the rehearsal days come by. Until then, as promised, she will just take over the particular department until Soonyoung settles with whatever task he has in hand. At the end of this play, he will be the one who will plaster the brightest smile if he managed to pull through till the end.

If there is an end to the start.

 MEET THE CREW