━☆⌒* CT31

Under The Lights

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

Night & Rain, The Finale

They are planning to open the double door on 7.45pm, as per usual. The show will be on 8.30, as per usual as well. Sungjae lets his breathing stabilises itself at the sight of what appears to be a potential full-house show. Booked tickets are claimed while the walk-in ones are rapidly decreasing in numbers to a point Seokmin has diminished the idea of rest. It does not help that he is still the emcee when the door opens.

“Sungjae, they’re all here!” The boy’s eyes shoot upwards from the grey floor only to see Yanan pointing at a bunch of familiar faces somewhere in the VIP line. Yes, they have that in case there are family members and SIA’s professors decided to see the play. All eyes are on the group when they show up at the front of the line.

“You’re all here, oh my God…” Sungjae stuttered and Ilhoon naturally chuckles at the act. He recalls the younger fellow under his production and it amazes him that Sungjae remains unlike he predicted. “Yeah, we’re all here.”

“Jae, even Eunkwang and Changsub are here tonight. Seungcheol, Wonwoo, and Shinyoung will flip when they see this.” Yanan joins in the light commotion created by his partner. He chose to whisper those statements in Sungjae’s ears instead of aloud though. Instantly, his eyes look for the mentioned figure.

“What a miracle…”

And the news reaches the three somewhere in the ever-so chaotic backstage hallway. An eruption of nerves does not linger in just the named three significant individuals but everyone is ecstatic and ultimately nervous to know former directors of RQS are out there to watch them perform.

“You’ll do great, Myungho.” Seungkwan assured the lad when Minghao’s stage fright battling with his confidence in his mind. Seeing that Jiyeon already done with their make-up, the younger boy gently rubs the other’s shoulders to ease the tension but not hard enough to wrinkle his costume.

His heart races as time ticks, gradually getting closer to their last start. He closes his eyes and begins to recite his script. However, that is not what he is worried the most. He has another agenda in hand. Mind you, that is the reason why he was late that day. Hopefully the plan goes accordingly.

“Hey, you might want this.” Minghao snaps his eyes open when he realises it was not Seungkwan’s voice speaking to him. In front of eyes is a bottle of mineral water and as his eyes trail on the arm, he is genuinely surprised to see Soonyoung holding it out to him. He rarely sees the choreographer turned department head in the backstage hallway when the curtain is about to rise.

“Thanks,” He muttered in the same sincerity. There is a short moment of silence between them before a smile appears on their faces. “You’re going to do it tonight?”

Minghao wants to ask what Soonyoung meant by that yet his own question is answered by his own conscious. Oh, right…that. He ponders alone and the smile widens at the single thought. “Good luck with that. If she rejects you, let me know. That means I have a chance.” That makes the actor laughs.

“Sure.”

 


 

“Why is it so hot tonight?” Hyunggu complained as he flaps his black production hoodie to lower his surrounding temperature. Feeling cheeky for the night, Yein chirps, “But you’re hot all the time.”

“Should I be worried that Jungkook’s girlfriend literally flirted with another guy? Right in front of my kimbap?” Vernon pitches in, still manages to sneak in time to munch on his last two pieces of the said food before the show officially starts. “I’m joking.” Yein pouted and Hyunggu adds. “Well, I’m not. Why am I the only one feeling this?”

“The second floor air-cons are busted.” Their leader’s voice told them as he shows up in the similar fashion. Soonyoung tugs his outfit right by its neck to get some cold air slips in. Well, he is just the Lighting Team leader but Vernon and Hyunggu naturally look up to the eldest male among them as their leader as well.

“That explains it. I do feel a bit hot now you mention it.” Vernon spoke as he holds onto the single piece of kimbap with his chopstick. He is about to put them into his mouth when Soonyoung has his mouth open and standing awfully close to the younger boy. Shaking his head, he lets the latter have it instead. He had enough of kimbap for the night anyway.

“So is everything ready for tonight?” Soonyoung questioned in general and obviously there is no negative answer. So he continues, “Let’s do well and snatch some wigs, yes?”

“Where did you learn that?” Yein laughs at her senior’s choice of words. “I heard it from Seungkwan before coming here. You said once before too, Hansol!” Soonyoung pointed out when he catches Vernon tightens his lips to prevent himself from laughing too loud. Not when Junhui announces the door is going to open.

 


 

Act II – Scene IV

He is tired and barely capable in keeping his mind at bay. Minseo’s steps are staggeringly wacky by the time he reaches his apartment block. Once he halts at the sidewalk by the unnamed low-rise building, the boy glances up. To a random passerby, he is eyeing nowhere in particular. So the only one who knows whatever fogging his mind is himself.

The evening glow left on the sky manages to light only a tiny bit in his heart. With the vast vacancy, he wonders what he should fill them with. Sure there is his passion in writing but even constantly burning within him, there are days where he tosses a bucket of water or two to put it out. With the time slowly makes its way into the night, street lights begin to turn on, one by one.

Bruises painted across his face as soon as a light shines directly onto him. Bluish purple becomes evident underneath his blazer and a cut on the corner of his lips is not something that can easily be ignored. He sighs. In between his exhale, he hisses in slight pain. Maybe he should have done it yet he knows why he did it. It was all out of instinct and he did not take a quick breather to think it through.

“Minseo?”

“Se-sejeong?”

The boy’s feet stuck on the ground and it takes everything in right mind to not utter anything stupid. One side of him screams, attempting to push him home whilst the other is bolder. And clearly, it is the latter that wins. Courageously, he looks at the girl before his heart suddenly makes a jump upon seeing her figure lessening the distance they once had.

“What happened to you?” She asked. Sincerity literally spills out of as she gently nears her palm on his cheek. Nonetheless, it never lands because she retracts as a last minute respond. Shaking her hand, she instantly hides it behind her. The eyes that were once on his are no longer in contact. “It’s nothing.”

“Sure, I expected to hear that from you. So…” Sejeong takes a side step and lowers her gaze. Her legs immediately quicken, brushing past Minseo’s quiet self in a breeze. He should have flinch at the contact due to the mild pain stinging his arm but his mind seems to be put on-hold. He should do so many things yet he feels like it is his fate to live in disappointment.

Minseo has zero idea how long has he been standing there, by the street as the light above his head flickers dimly. It just happens that the one accompanying him is also not in the best condition. The ambience of city suburb playing around him sounds softer since they are not a lot of cars zooming by. Without hesitation, he turns to face the road before putting his phone on his ears.

A beep. Another beep. And whoever he calls finally has the decency to answer. Knowing that the other has his reason not to do so, Minseo almost release a loud relief exhale. Fortunately, the other does not catch it.

“Are you at home?”

“No…why are you asking?”

“Soohyun, look…I think- no I believe we have to meet again now.” The receiver rolls his eyes upon hearing the caller’s desperate tone. Yet there is a hint of guilt resounding in the back of his conscious mind. The boy emerges from his spot, revealing is location: the neighbourhood park. However, he is not alone.

As Minseo speaks through, Soohyun stutters, almost stumbling on all of the words produced. If his years of friendship do not betray him, Minseo is sure Soohyun sounds nervous which is unlike him. The caller already makes his stride down the path after hearing the familiar sound the park owns, very calm and a stream not far from Soohyun’s spot.

“Why?” He questioned him when Soohyun persistently resisting the idea of meeting. He is almost at the park anyway so might as well see each other? There is no harm done. Minseo hopes there will be none because he cannot afford more bruises on his arms and face. The cut on his lips still throb whenever he talks.

“Look, I know you wouldn’t want to see after what happened but I was helping you? Whatever that guy said, it wasn’t true. I know you wouldn’t do that to me, right Soohyun?”

A fight. That was taken by a storm in the car park within Soohyun’s workplace’s lot. It was nasty with guys probably higher than Minseo and Soohyun taunting the both of them. Their words slid Minseo’s heart, unexpectedly pouring all his feelings out. It cannot be true. He trusts his friend too much to believe some stranger. Out of the blue, his fist met with the guy’s face and everything went down.

Soohyun had long left the vicinity to who knows where, bailing on Minseo to fight alone with the group. If it was not the blinking lights coming from a nearby police car, someone might end up dead at that exact location and time.

“Minseo…I-”

“Don’t thank me yet though. It’s noth-”

The last thing Minseo hears through his phone was Soohyun’s voice, calling his name several times. The boy is stun, every inch of his being shakes in pure rage. He clenches his phone and acting upon emotion instead of rationality yet again, Minseo throws his phone forward… perfectly hitting on Soohyun’s head.

The victim immediately groans in pain and as he is not alone, the person seated by his side on the bench instantly aids him and asks if he is okay more than necessary. Soohyun gently pushes the said person’s hand away but the other is similarly persistent as he does, reaching out in concern.

“Soohyun!” Minseo screams, turning the couple’s head to look at him. Even during the initial start of night, people appear to walk slowly to listen and watch. “It was true?” He whispered. His friend’s eyes are wide and he is scared to throw a glimpse at his side. There is no use of pushing her hand off. Sejeong knows nothing about this.

“I fought for you…for this? All along those strangers were not lying. I was you who lied? All this time of wanting to help me…was that even what you’re planning to do?”

“What’s happening? What are you talking about? There is nothing between us.” Soohyun muttered but his eyes, Minseo can read them. Dishonesty – it is written all over them. Even with his own pair beginning to water, he can see everything crystal clear.

“There is nothing between us…at first. You’re the one who is late at everything. Always, late in catching up. You’re always the slow one.” The fellow added on with a smirk lingers on his face. The next thing he knew, Minseo tramples on Soohyun, shouting whilst throwing punches across his face, determined to make him feel whatever he is feeling.

 


 

Minghao twists his arms once his scene ends there. He stands on the edge of stage right entrance, looking closely at Seungkwan and Sujeong who are doing their final duet together. First thing first, he is going to apologise to the younger actor for his too-real punches. He personally asked him to go all out on him tonight but as if possessed, he really did punch the kid’s face. At least, it does not appear as nasty as he thought it might be.

“Hey, look here.” The lead actor glances back where Jiyeon’s assistant is standing with tissues and sponge in hand. Though Jennie is focused on touching up Minghao’s make-up, the girl is quick to pick up the weird gaze and he is definitely not hundred percent on his next scene.

“Jennie, can you help me with something?” He spoke softly as if he has a secret message to deliver. Well, technically it is a secret message and since she is the best candidate he has, he tells her, “Can you see if there’s a woman in her late thirties among the crowd? She’s wearing a blue shirt, jeans, and a red cardigan if I wasn’t mistaken.”

“Ah,” Jennie bobs her head after finishing her job. There is not much to adjust since Minghao still needs the messed up face on stage. “Your mom?” He shakes and his eyes try to catch the mysterious woman in the audience area but the stage is too bright to see properly. “No. Just someone I know.” She nods again and says she will check it out at once after a trip back to the dressing room.

Minghao does his personal little warm up for the next scene. It is his upmost significant scene in the entire play. The scene where by his bravery and parkour skills are needed for it to be a spectacular show. So far, he managed to pull off the scene without any harm on his side. He learned to dismiss all negative thoughts before standing on higher ground. To achieve full attention on the final act, he snatches a bottle of plain water – the one Soonyoung gave him before the show.

Oh, there is also his solo song that requires him to sing live. It is a song Jihoon produced as an official soundtrack of the entire play. The title even has the same name as the play with a minute difference because instead of Night & Rain (the play’s title), it is named Night and Rain, the play’s main track.

Before he can twist the cap opens, Mingyu rushes to him with his white costume. His friend endlessly raps an apology for being a minute late to bring the outfit which Minghao ensures it is nothing. Admittedly though, he will be disappointed if it is not put on him for the scene. It is by far his favourite costume. It makes him look vulnerable and the fabric would wave underneath his arms, making him appear as if he is flying.

Sadly, it holds such a sad meaning but who is he to judge?

White is often portrayed as death too.

 

 MEET THE CREW