━☆⌒* CT28

Under The Lights

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

Strange Events

Smoothly. It is running smoothly even after the chaos occurred in the jam packed Silver Diamond Hall backstage area. Dancers found their designated costumes. Actors regained their pacing although they were not entirely prepared. Crew members slowing and taking note on every miniscule detail which they thought they might wave off in the midst of show disaster. Among the many production members, a single director from the music department sneaks down the hallway during the matinee’s interlude.

Upon reaching his desired destination, Jihoon being the said person bumps onto a familiar figure. The other fellow seems to remain in front of the door that leads to the male’s restroom, assigned for them. With his taller structure, it sure blocks his slightly cuter frame from stepping into the room.

“Are you going to stand there or…?” The elongated question is passed to the RQS’s Event Manager, Yanan. When the older boy cranes his head back, he lets out a short ‘ah’ as if he just realises his presence there. “What were you doing anyway?” Jihoon asked more when Yanan said nothing but still moved a step to the side.

“I was checking if the knob is fixed. Apparently it hasn’t. I swore I informed Sungjae about the locksmith coming in this morning.” Strange, Yanan pondered even further. “Well, if that’s the case, someone should probably place the sign up again.” Jihoon pointed out and only then the other notices the missing A4 paper Junhui once pasted.

“I’ll do it myself.”

 


 

A collective sigh of relieve is heard throughout the hallway as soon as the curtain call ended for the late afternoon show. Seungcheol as a good director he is congratulates and apologises the last minute changes that had to be done. He is mostly sorry for the musicians under Jihoon’s team, the lighting department under Soonyoung, and the audio team led by Vernon. Coming a close second is obviously his line of cast and he felt bad to put Seungkwan out as the male lead for the rest of the show.

For whatever reason unknown to all of the production team.

Shinyoung picks up a weird feeling when she speaks to Seungcheol about the matter once the show ended. Supposedly, all members of RQS are given a two hours of break before the night arrives. They are free to roam and nap or do whatever they want within the vicinity. She chooses to talk to the Theatre Director about the sudden and permanent change in actors. She actually anticipated seeing Seungkwan as Shin Minseo, knowing how great of an actor the boy is. And he practiced hard for the role too.

Unfortunately, she gains nothing from their discussion after abruptly interrupted by an explosion on the second floor. Eyes widened by the familiar sound, there is only one thing that makes such loud sound. From their location right by the stage, the two can see puff of smoke beginning to rise before the girl catches the sight of the department head rushing over with a fire extinguisher. By the time Seungcheol and Shinyoung show up at the location, Soonyoung already throw away the object in hand before dejectedly kneeled by the wire.

This is a familiar event, the girl recalls quietly because no one wants to listen to her random story session. Besides, it is best for nobody else aside from Soonyoung to know about it. The mass of lighting team members disperse slowly when Shinyoung slips in to approach her friend. Surely enough that is the first time after awhile she witnesses him being so miserable.

“Calm down, Soon. It’s just a short circuit, right?”

“I wish it is…” Soonyoung uttered unclearly but with the confused eyes shaking, she can sense what he is thinking. “I mean, it’s about time another spot to blow up. It’s old anyway. We’ll get it replaced.” Seungcheol offered and this time it is Soonyoung’s head that shakes in denial.

“The nearest workshop that sells this kind of wires is closed already. It’s Friday.” The boy palms his face, rubbing it before stopping on his head. “There’s no way we can find a spare follow-spot before tonight’s show.”

“How about SIA’s theatre department’s equipments?” Someone pitch in, probably a new member Soonyoung accepted. “No can do. We have to sign papers and all that tedious stuff to borrow anything from them. Besides, it’s already past 5. The office is already closed as well.” Yein answered on Soonyoung’s behalf and Shinyoung bobs in agreement.

“What the hell happened here?” Jihoon who heard the explosion all the way from the backstage pops in as well. Being the closest to him, Seungcheol retells the event, simplified some of the information to cut some time. Bobbing his head understandingly, the younger fellow’s brows furrow to think. “I think I know someone that can help. Let’s just hope he’s in town.” With that said, Jihoon leaves the circle to make a quick phone call.

“Hey, Chanyeol? Do you happen to be in Seoul? Precisely somewhere that’s not far from your shop and Silver Diamond Hall?”

“You have Chanyeol’s contact? Dude, he’s literally the best man for the job!” The Director screamed. Well, he is too happy not to. Even Soonyoung who has been sitting on the cold floor spring up in joy. The boy continuously waits for the other lad to seal the deal.

Park Chanyeol if one’s memory able to recall is a former member of Rose Quartz and Serenity Production during the second generation run. He is labelled as the best man in the job by Seungcheol due to the fact the mentioned member was the person who experienced every single department in the creative side of production. Which is why he stood as one of the best Scenographer in RQS and our Jihoon happens to stay in contact with the fellow who now is an owner of a massive hardware store.

“I love you, Jihoon.” Soonyoung whispered to no one in particular as his dramatic side concurs. It takes him all his might from jumping onto his friend the moment Jihoon deliver the good news. He is that glad because really he cannot think of any other ways to salvage the burned wires. One follow-spot being down will be difficult for them to perform for the night’s show.

“You know, in case Chanyeol comes here late or something, you guys still need an alternative lighting. Your team uses the spot twice during the first act after all.” The Music Director breaks the tiny bit of happiness with reality. That definitely makes the Choreographer’s shoulders slump once again. He then turns to find the current Scenographer’s thoughtful expression. Unexpectedly, idea does not come from her.

“Don’t you guys have one of that torchlight that can be adjusted? Like, I don’t know, the ones police officer tends to use during their night road spot-check or whatever it is called.” Hyunggu was the owner to the fine idea. An imaginary bulb lights in Shinyoung’s brain. “That’s actually a nice idea, Hyunggu.”

“Well, he’s not nicknamed as Kino for nothing. That’s literally what he’s known for within our batch after all. ‘Kang’ and ‘innovation’.  Has nice ring to it too.” Vernon randomly put out some sort of TMI about his friend. To prove it the strong bond, he wraps his arm around the fellow’s shoulders.

“Great. I think we do have that torchlight back at the studio. I need someone to accompany me though. It might take awhile.” Shinyoung suggested and begins to scan the production members’ faces, hoping to see anyone that potentially has the time. No one seems to be free from what she is seeing and thankfully, Seungcheol suggests a name.

 


 

Perhaps her tiredness from non-stop works starting to take a toll on her consciousness. Frankly, there is not a lot to go as most of the casts and ensembles are clever enough not to ruin their make-ups. She cannot force her hand to touch a single brush for the past thirty minutes. Hence, the reason as why Jiyeon chose to walk around the semi-vacant hall to ease her mind.

For a quick second there, she thought she catches a shadow lurking at the back side of the main performance stage. There is not much behind the set to begin with aside from the massive mattress used for Minghao’s stun scene and ropes tangled neatly on its supports. She passes by the tall scaffolding and glances upwards. As she expected, someone is diligently doing his work.

“Tae, can we go out somewhere to eat? I don’t think I have seen you ate lunch beforehand.” Being the good girlfriend she is, the girl asked in concern. Her loud vocal projection from the extra theatre classes during her days in Seoul Institute of Arts helps her more that she thought back then. “I did.” He replied shortly but with the same loudness.

“Mingyu’s endless stock of biscuits is not enough, Tae. You need actual food like rice and such. You’re the head department for goodness sake.”

Taehyung stops from whatever activity he chooses to do instead of having a proper meal. Jiyeon is right after all and his grumbling stomach has been screaming for the past few hours. Instead of fulfilling his hunger bar however, he decided to readjust the cables used for the stunt scene. After that, he slowly climbs down the sides of the metal scaffolding.

“Hey, Tae.”

“Yes, Ji.”

“Do you happen to see anything strange while you were up there? You can see everything from up there, right?” Jiyeon questioned out of the blue, or not. She is not the only one who catches the uncanny silhouette. Unlike her, he is too high up to call out for whoever sneakily moves behind the set. No one is allowed to be there aside from his team and he is very sure Chan and the rest are sprawled on the empty chairs in the audience areas or on the second floor.

“I did. Funny you said that though. That is the very reason why I was up at the top of the scaffolding. Someone botched the ropes for Myungho’s stunt scene. Usually I let someone else check on it but for a reason, I felt like checking them out myself. It’s the best decision made, I swear.” Taehyung shared and she nods, registering a foreign feeling somewhere in the back of her mind.

“Do you think someone actually trying to sabotage Myungho?”

“No. I have a feeling this is not just Myungho. I might have heard Sungjae said something about keep a look out for anyone suspicious. Do you think someone as smart as Sungjae would just casually accept the position as Front of House Manager hours before a show? Not to mention Yanan and Seungcheol look fidgety too.”

“So you’re trying to say that someone is out there trying to sabotage the show? Who would that be?”

“Well, this is not the first time Rose Quartz being thrown over like this. You recall that time when our usual sponsors randomly declining Ilhoon’s proposal? It was his last show too. The hall out as well.”

“And I have a feeling that is not the last time…”

 


 

Torchlight. Torchlight. Torchlight.

Shinyoung chants throughout the walk to RQS Studio. As it only takes the two of them ten minutes most to reach the location, they make zero effort in holding a decent conversation. Yet that is understandable seeing that the person who tagged along is Wonwoo, the guy who Seungcheol suggested.

“Are you sure the torchlight is there?” He finally breaks the silence with a general question. The girl stops her muttering to get a side glance at the male. “If my brain is functioning properly, yes. The team used those torchlights for a smaller scale show before. Lots of them, actually. I don’t know if you heard of Sound of the Sea.”

“I think I know that one. Hyunsik directed that one, right?”

“Yeah,” She answered shortly, glad to hear the fellow remembered. It was not a huge show which was very uncharacteristic of Hyunsik to do so. The story was a tad simpler too and when she was there as a member of the Lighting Department, torchlights were all they had to light up the stage. “We’re going to swing by the convenience store once we find the lights though. We need batteries. And we need-”

“Lots of them? You’ve been using that phrase a lot, Shinyoung.” Wonwoo laughs a little that causes her to do the same. “I am? I never realise that.”

“Well, you’re an extravagant person. Though being minimal is kind of your signature style but that’s not what you put into your designs.”

“Is that why you’re so pissed at me back when we first meet up for the design presentation, Jeon?”

“Gosh, I haven’t heard you call me that.” Wonwoo grimaced. A shudder runs down his spine. It is a sensation which occurs whenever he feels genuinely embarrassed and he has no idea why he feels that now. “I would call you Kwon too but we have another Kwon in the place. I don’t think that’s the best. You shouldn’t call me that too. Jungkook and Soyeon might sneeze or something.”

“Or really, the entire people in the world that had Jeon for their surname, Wonu.” The girl stressed the new nickname she randomly throws out. That one he does not mind hearing since it does not stray too far from his real name. Nonetheless, it still feels strange on his side to be in the current situation where it is anything but cold and awkward.

 MEET THE CREW