━☆⌒* CT22

Under The Lights

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

Break Time

It is always a nice idea to take a time out of production work after knocking on them for a week straight with no clear end. Yet the given break cannot be used to their advantage because unlike most of the cast and crew members, they still have one final class project to complete. Sighing, the Chinese boy sorts through the task in hand.

Luckily for his team, there are not a lot to handle thanks to Jungkook’s oh-so experimental idea. Their short film encompasses simple insert shots and narrations which they pre-recorded a couple of weeks ahead of the shooting day. By filtering out the numerous takes, Minghao is able to produce the second minute of the video in one night, following Jungkook’s work beforehand. His eyes barely open at this point.

Once the late night supper session ended, he trudged back to his apartment, half regretting his choice of tagging along. But honestly, it was fun to hang out although there was a moment where he would feel a tad left out. Figuring it as something he needs to get use to, he merely smiles. He would want to do it more if he could. However, it was him who left the trio early upon remembering the work he had to do.

The buzzing sensation on the coffee table drives him out of the deep thought. When Minghao reads the text, he springs up as if a new surge of energy burst excitedly. He smiles. He senses it is almost a default expression at this point yet he tosses the feeling away. Though there is a hint of drowsiness still lingering in his system, the boy cannot help but to rush towards the door and welcomes the girl who stood right outside his door.

Seeing that it is her first time stepping into the lad’s humble abode, she takes her time to admire the interior. Very well-kept, neat, tidy – very Seo Myungho if she says so herself. It is not often she is able to catch a neat home. Perhaps Mingyu simply has a lot in hand to properly clean up his apartment from the last time she went there for a group meeting.

“I thought Jungkook is with you.” Shinyoung questioned curiously while her eyes glance around the living room, searching for the younger fellow. Minghao enters the kitchen briefly, coming out with a cup of warm tea. Handing it to the girl, he goes ahead and joins her on the couch after replying, “He is sleeping in my bedroom. He stayed up all morning to finish his part in the video. I’m doing mine right now.”

“Don’t tell me you didn’t sleep from last night. If I knew, I wouldn’t invite you along. But you can blame Soonyoung for dragging you too.” She mentioned in concern when she notices the look plasters on his face. The curve on his smile seems forced (that is from her view anyway) and she knows it (no, she knows wrong). Laughing lightly, he holds out his hands. “No, no. I did sleep a bit. I’m alright.”

“You make me feel bad. You’re the main actor for tomorrow too, right?”

“Yeah,” Minghao bobs. Regret is beginning to sound repetitive. Maybe there is a word out there that can replace it. At the moment, there is nothing. “Anyway, we already have a two minutes video. There’ll be like fifteen to twenty seconds of shots to insert and edit. And we can submit them tomorrow before the afternoon call-time.”

“I’ll do it then. It’s the most I can do since you’ll have to be there on time tomorrow. I’ll just tell Soonyoung to look on my teams while I’m gone.” Shinyoung sips the tea whilst eyeing on the screen lay in front of them. So she basically missed the disappointed frown on the boy’s lips.

Mingyu shows up an hour later, exactly at the time where Minghao hits save and the waiting game commences. There is a whiff of happiness coming along with the tall male as he enters the house. In his grasps are takeouts and every single one of them is different to one another. She has no idea why on Earth would Mingyu do that but they are thankful. Even Jungkook appears more awake from his sleepy self.

“I probably can make this better.” Minghao mumbled once they settled around the rectangular coffee table with the Chinese food served for their late breakfast. It can pass as lunch if they want to. The other three simply laugh at their friend’s statement and they supposed the food is not up to his standard.

“Sorry, this is the only thing I can afford.” The buyer confessed even though he senses Minghao did not mean it entirely. He did not exactly push away the meal. After all, it is free and he is strapped of cash. “I’m joking.” The friend figured he should express it verbally.

“So, it’ll be very busy for everyone starting tomorrow.” Jungkook steers into a new direction. As it is a common subject in mind, conversation flows smoothly. “It’s the first day of show but I can see it’ll be as good as the ones during this week’s practices. If not, better.” Mingyu pointed out frankly.

“Do you reckon Eunkwang and Changsub will actually show up?” It was Shinyoung’s turn to put out a question. She does not know why but the same question keeps on coming to her brain and curiosity is eating slowly on the inside. “Well, they will for sure. They never miss a show. Well, Eunkwang anyway. Changsub, maybe?” Mingyu shrugs and Jungkook nods understandingly. They have been in RQS long enough to pick up a pattern.

“Why?” The one worded question was stated by Minghao after he gulps down his glass of plain water. “Well…” The only girl in the room drags her explanation which is saved by her fellow classmate. “Eunkwang and Changsub had a major fight way back. That explains why Hyunsik is the only director from first generation stayed during the second gen ran.”

He heard about it before. Not a lot but based on the short story, Minghao feels like there is more than just a simple quarrel between directors. A misunderstanding does not seem like the case at all. Yet what does he knows about them? Nothing.

“It’s not like it’ll make a difference whether they come or not anyway.” The girl in the midst of clean cut silence. And truth is the only thing the boys can conclude.

 


 

Blank mind. Boring gaze. Blaring screen.

“Someone looks out of their world. Where are you now, Myungho?” Jungkook being the only fellow who stayed by his side for more than half a day straight, he can see dark cloud hovering above the Chinese’s head. Both Mingyu and Shinyoung had made their respective excuses to leave a little bit after lunch hour unofficially ended. One call and they rushed out, heading straight to their homes.

“Is this normal?”

Jungkook furrows in utter confusion. He asks, “What are you talking about?” And he claims a spot on Minghao’s right side. Once he glimpses over to his front where the other had his eyes on, he becomes more puzzled.

Displayed for the two boys to witness are photos with similar model in every single one of it. Unbeknownst to the model herself, there are plenty more that has yet to be transferred into his laptop. For an unknown reason, something is holding him back from keeping those in something as long-term as the laptop.

“These were taken while we were in Ilsan, isn’t it?” Questioningly, Jungkook turns his attention to Minghao who does not appear to be swayed by it. In fact, someone might actually put invisible glue for him to stick on the lightly dimmed computer screen.

 


 

Day 1 of shooting: Ilsan’s Lake Garden

The group of friends casually sprawled on the beautifully mowed grass. A location they had been occupying for a good two hours with additional chatting, discussion, and snacking included along the way. As the director of the team, Minghao figured there was nothing else to shoot since they already took whatever they could in that exact spot. Pushing his body off the grass first, he spoke.

“I think it’ll be better if we start surveying for other spots to shoot, don’t you guys think so?” He looked at his assistant director, Jungkook who appeared unbothered. “I’ll be here for awhile. I’m going to make a time-lapse out of this.” He mentioned easily.

“Well,” Minghao slowly gathered his camera before standing up. “I will search for something else to have in our video. Any of you two want to tag along?”

It was a trick question actually. He was hoping for the girl to answer with a yes and he received the answer he wanted. It was logical to say the least to have Mingyu there to keep Jungkook sane while Minghao and Shinyoung left the area to seek a change of view.

They went off for a walk – a simple activity to fill in the emptiness instead of continuously eyeing on the still lake. With the changing season, the scene looks greener. Flowers are blooming gracefully whilst the hush afternoon wind rubbed onto their faces.

“Is this what you guys always feel during a shooting session?” Shinyoung questioned without tearing her focus off a cherry blossom tree above them. Sometimes the petals would fall and landed on her head before it flew. “This is only one out of many. We don’t always have the chance to be this calm during any shooting day.” Minghao frankly stated.

There were a lot more silence compared to talking and he was fine with that. It was comfortable and fitted in seamlessly with the serene atmosphere of the lake garden. It was only when Shinyoung made her stop to check her phone he realised he had been gazing at her figure who unconsciously led the walk. Remembering the camera strapped around his neck, he wondered about his initial plan.

 


 

At the end of the day, fortunately, there were a couple of scenery shots taken. However, there were more Shinyoung than the actual scenery occupying his memory card. The boy figured it was the only chance he was able to capture her before they graduate, moving on with their respective lives.

“When are you planning on telling her?” Being a good friend, Jungkook gently asked and Minghao finally meets his eyes. The question does linger in his mind though occasionally. Will it even worth the effort to let her know about his feeling towards her? But then, what is this feeling anyway? He would ask himself that.

He likes her, obviously. But is it strong to be considered as falling in love with her? How does one clarify their own feelings anyway? He wants to throw that question to his friend yet something is holding him back. Perhaps he will regret if it does not turn out as he pictured in mind. Mayhap he prefers the idea of being with her instead. Nope. This is getting a lot more confusing than it supposed to be.

“What would you do if you’re in my spot, Kook?” Minghao decided to say, doubting the Korean for a second. Nonetheless, Jungkook never disappoints him. “I would probably give out hints before the entire production ends. We might have another semester to meet but knowing her, she’ll use most of her time away from us seeing that there is no shared class anymore.”

He is right though. Another semester is equal to final semester of seeing her within the campus ground. Minghao has been planning to extend his industry training back home. China home. He figured it is the best to be as near as possible to his family for months now. What is this? Why is he beginning to seek for an alternative option? Is it worth it to stay?

“Also, there is RQS potentially closing after Night & Rain ends. I heard from Mingyu that she is already stepping up her game and planning to do her internship at Silverlight Entertainment. That’s where Yoongi is at. She probably chose SLE because of that.”

“She is that close with Yoongi?”

“She was and she might still be. I’m not that close to her in the production but from the brief moments working in a team, she did seem close. Why? You’re not jealous, are you?” Jungkook asked, feeling bad of sharing that piece of information to his friend. “No…” The extension made by the Chinese boy sure worries him.

“Well, look at the time…I got a date to rush to-” The lad jumps on his feet before literally sprinting out of the apartment, leaving the other completely puzzle for a whole new reason. His camera bag was already snatched away from the sofa yet Minghao figures Mingyu’s clumsiness begins to creep on Jungkook when he finds the fellow’s phone on the coffee table.

It blinks. It sparkles. It rings seconds after. It comes from a caller that seems very familiar to the lead actor’s eyes. Brows furrow, lips curve unbelievably, and he shakes his head. How can he not notice the signs when it is obvious?

Even someone as shy as Jeon Jungkook managed to land a date with a lighting crew member. How should he, Xu Minghao courageously confess to the Rose Quartz and Serenity Production’s Scenographer without thinking of a certain Choreographer and Head of Lighting Department hindering him?

If only he can buy more time. But he is running out of cash to buy more of it. He needs a strategy. Preferably simple and cheap ones because judging on how he is seeing things, the girl he likes does not like extravagant stuff which will burst people’s wallet. The boy hisses, mentally pained once he realises the shortage of everything he has. Nonetheless, he is left with one option.

The finale.

He figures it is the best to do it after the night of the play’s finale.

 MEET THE CREW 

Author's Note:

Good day everyone! I hope y'all are doing great and still enjoy Under The Lights. I'm sorry for the delay and all due to me actually joining an actual production in my uni. And boy I feel like I describe Mingyu's job too little in here once I was placed in that department for real XD Anyway, I'm running out of crew members to introduce at the end of the chapters so make way for the seniors of RQS Production! Also...

Happy 2019 y'all~