━☆⌒* CT12

Under The Lights

CHAPTER TWELVE

Directed By

On one fine spring day, two years back…

“Mom, really, I can do this on my own. I didn’t spend my day at the Retirement Home, teaching old couple dancing to classical music for nothing.” Soonyoung said, trying his best to hide the annoyance he was feeling from entering his mother’s ears. She was being a mother, a very considerate and kind one so he guessed he could be extra patient.

It was his first month in Seoul and really, far from home. As expected, it is very different from the village side of the country. He had no idea why he would relate him teaching old couple dancing with house hunting though. It just came by and he felt like he needed to feed the mother something. At least she calmed down.

“Okay. Once you found a place, let me know, alright? How long will you be in Seoul again?” She asked. “Three years including internship. Maybe longer if I get the job through the internship.” He paused as his mother continuously speaking through the phone because the son’s attention was diverted.

Someone was searching for a roommate, Soonyoung thought and a smile swiped on his face almost instantaneously. It would be three bedrooms, two bathrooms, fully furnished interior apartment. The renter will live under the same roof so he did not have to be worried if any trouble came up. Not only that, it would a walking distant from Seoul Institute of Arts, the university he would be going to.

He just hoped the place was not taken when he rang up the number typed on the white paper plastered on the advertisement board because he really need a place to stay which is not a crappy dormitory. He could not live there for some unknown reasons.

The day he was greeted by the renter was the day he realised how easily he could carry on with his life. Though to be honest her dishevelled hair told him to turn back and start questioning his decisions, apparently the visual managed to win him over. He remembered how Shinyoung apologetically smiled when she opened the door and signalled him to drag his suitcase along.

“I was napping and didn’t expect anyone to move in this quickly.” She offered an explanation. Her glance circled her surrounding which she secretly let a long sigh. She was partly prepared for the boy so that explained her messy first impression. At least the house was tidy since she rarely stayed in the living room. It was too clean to a point even Soonyoung himself was afraid to step in.

“Anyway,” Shinyoung gestured to an opened door which the boy immediately assumed to be his room for the next couple of years or more. “There are three bedrooms total but I’m planning to only have one occupied.”

“What is the third room for?”

“An office space. I’m trying to make it as communal as possible if that makes sense. You’re free to use the computer if you want to. Just…don’t do anything funny.” She glared, the first warning given to him by a complete stranger. For whatever reason however, he felt less than scared. Instead he just laughed it off.

Flash forward to present time…

Jumping, skipping, tripping – those are only three simple day-to-day words that concludes the following days after the so-called production meeting night. After the cleaning part of it ended, Shinyoung instantly made a bee-line towards the exit and her figure was no longer seen in campus. Well, he cannot even locate her presence out of the campus border or RSQ Studio to be precise.

Where is she?

At most, people around him would think his thought is uncanny and the quiet persona he always shows double during the second week of the practice sessions. His gaze is hold onto one object at one time before he frigidly switches the way he sits whilst skimming to the script for the umpteenth time.

“Are you alright, Woo?” Seungcheol lightly slaps his fellow partner, hoping to see his eyes change at least more welcoming. It has been his third day joining the practices yet his face appears to scare most of the cast. One of the few that does not seem to waver at the intense glare is Minghao and probably the younger cast like Boo Seungkwan.

“I was thinking.” Wonwoo admitted. Though partly it was true he was in fact in deep thought but that does not explain him blank out when the Director had been calling him for the past minutes. “Think some other time. We need to discuss about something. Soonyoung will take over the practice.”

The Assistant Director looks up from his manuscript and finds the Choreographer and the production’s Music Director showing up finally. Along by their sides are assumingly the Audio team judging on the laptop and portable speakers in hand. Not wanting to delay, Wonwoo follows Seungcheol out of the studio and begin their discussion in the meeting room.

Glancing back at the studio, the cast already expected the day to come. To see the two important people of the current play together with the much needed team. Good-naturedly, Soonyoung and Jihoon bow, and quickly introduce themselves before the dancer signs for the Audio department members to do the same.

“Audio team leader, Hansol Vernon Chwe or you guys can call me Hansol or Vernon. Either one is cool. And this is Kang Hyunggu. There are only two of us in the team so if any of you want the song for personal practices, feel free to come to any of us.” Vernon stated kindly and hearing his offer, Soonyoung steps in.

“Since the songs are originals, please don’t share them just yet no matter how excited you guys are. Woozi didn’t spend his nights to have them exposed.”

“Who the hell is Woozi? Is that supposed to be me?” Jihoon’s question brings laughter to the whole team with a number of the crew behind a couple of lenses joining as well. It is not often to hear the composer suddenly burst. But he is genuinely curious.

“That’s our Jihoon from now on guys. Okay, everyone gather in a circle please. I may know my ensemble since most of you are my juniors; let’s do a random ice breaking session.”

Having Soonyoung as a respected senior in the Dance major means they would stumble upon the older around campus from time to time. Most of those were however in the dance studio and while they were sweating buckets. Soonyoung also barges into their classes to help so some of them already know what kind of ice breaking session it will be.

Simple. Jihoon claps once to gain their attention while he and Soonyoung stand in the centre of the circle formed. While the composer has his eyes facing the Audio team, the choreographer has a list of name – both real names and character names.

“At random, I’ll call your character name. When it happens, I want to hear you recite a line, any line spoken by your character with emotions. Once you’re done, yell me your real name, preferably nickname so it’s easier for me to remember. I’ll be conducting a lot of the practice sessions after this one.”

With clear explanation, the cast understandingly nods and collectively thinking a line to say aloud when their turn comes by. But Minghao is quick to notice Soonyoung retrieving his phone from the pocket of his sweatshirt and he scrolls through his music playlist.

He knew it. It sounds too easy when Soonyoung told them of the random activity. This is not a normal ice breaking session. The Chinese boy realises it is a way to see whether they are in focus and it is better not to get distracted when the dancer picks a song from his favourite band. From the corner of his eyes, he can see how the non-dance major faces turn surprised to hear the famous Ring Ding Dong plays from the Hyunggu’s Bluetooth speaker.

As one expected, they are not allowed to make any move. Honestly, they are not moving at all mainly due to the fact they are still wonder what they should say when their name will be called. Ensembles are not left out even though half of them are there to dance with zero script in mind.

The second lead female actress, Jung Eunha passes the test with a bright smile and bows thankfully before leaving the circle followed by three characters succeeding. So far, all of them are doing well and Soonyoung is frankly impressed by the full focus and character delivery showed by the cast.

Shin Minseo. The owner of the name takes his time as he just got used to people calling him by his character name. Immediately shutting off the song blaring in the background, Minghao gathers a sentence which catches his attention the most when he read the script.

All the silhouettes on this street don’t look like you. I’ll be waiting for you, here, tonight.” He voiced in a hush yet clear with pain laced between his words, sounding as if he is going to break that instant before he kneels, shocking both Soonyoung and Jihoon alike.

“Myungho, why didn’t you apply for Theatre Acting as a major?” The older fellow questioned out of curiosity when they dismissed the day’s practice. He watches as Minghao draws in a deep and steady breath before replying, “I’m taking Acting as my minor though.”

“Ah, that explains it.” Jihoon who asked the question bobs his head and catches the sight of Soonyoung’s wrinkled forehead after ending what they assumed to be a phone call. “Hey, I know you want that extra practice session but I’ll let you know when I can make time. I’m afraid I have something coming up.”

“Is it Shinyoung?” The same aged friend plasters a worried face which the younger boy takes in as well. “What’s wrong with Shinyoung?” Minghao asked.

“She’s been under the weather lately. Fever but she’s recovering. I told her to stay at home and rest but she is still persistent and went to classes regardless. Now I have to babysit her and buy her favourite porridge at some Chinese shop because her tongue malfunctions at this kind of desperate times.” The one who lives under the same roof as her jokingly rolls his eyes. In reality, those little things about her never lessen the amount of care.

“I know how to make porridge. It’s cheaper too since you know, we’re strapped for cash.”

“Even better. You’re friends with Shinyoung too so I guess that works.” Soonyoung attempts to swing his arm on Minghao’s shoulders but apparently he miscalculates how a tad taller the other boy is. “Why do you have to be so tall and handsome?” He unintentionally spoke loudly which makes Jihoon laughs. It is good since Jihoon does not laugh often.

“You’re not in the place to laugh, little one.”

“Do you want me to hit you?”

 


 

“Oh?” Seungcheol and Wonwoo exit the meeting room, and almost in synchronise, a pile of their fellow cast members heads down from the third floor. They guessed Soonyoung decided to let them out earlier than scheduled or they were deep in discussing about the play to notice the time. The last one to descent is the composer, choreographer and the lead male actor.

“How’s their first dance practice?” They stop their pace right by the door and Soonyoung shrugs before answering, “It went well. I don’t do a lot yet but Myungho here nailed the fastest. He is born to be on stage.” He good-naturedly complimented that a light blush painted on his cheeks.

“Great. Where are you heading?”

“Home. Shinyoung is not feeling well.”

“Probably her spring allergy kicking in.” Wonwoo mumbled and it surprised him not to figure that out when the lack of her figure in campus is relatively obvious. Yet what is more surprising is how the others seem to eye on him weirdly. “What?”

“No- nothing. Let’s go, Myungho. See the rest of you guys tomorrow.” Soonyoung awkwardly stuttered his out of the situation with Minghao trailing behind him. When they are only metres away, Wonwoo calls for their attention. “Tell her not to stress herself too much.”

“And I wonder where ninety percent of the stress came from…” The dancer whispered yet it is heard plainly. Seungcheol wants to confront this. Wonwoo? He simply lets the other walks away because really what is the point of denying?

The distance between the tiny street market and the apartment is merely a block away from one another. As to Minghao’s expectation, the two boys enters a low rise apartment building and Soonyoung presses the number three with his free hand since the other is holding a bunch of ingredients. Some of them are bought impulsively which is not much because really the older one does not have that much many in reserve.

“Are you a good cook?” He adds onto the conversation they had ever since the minute they roamed in the marketplace. “Decent enough to live. Mingyu tends to swing by my place so I sort of pick up some stuff along the way. I just hope Shinyoung will like it.”

“Trust me. She’ll like it no matter what. If not, she’ll let you know. It’s that easy.”

Soonyoung opens the door widely and almost instantly they are able to hear loud music played on the TV. His head shakes when he catches the girl’s body sprawled on the couch, dozing off to some music show vibrantly occupying the screen. It seems like a repeat of the latest episode too.

“Well, at least she sleeps early. Though earlier that I expected her to be. It’s barely eleven.” The fellow housemate briefly glances at a wall clock mounted above the television as he spoke. Meanwhile, the younger lad simply stands by, waiting for a new instruction to come from the older one.

“Will she still need the porridge though?” Minghao peeks on her sleeping figure, concerned on the way her body twisted. He wants to express it but Soonyoung reads his mind. “She will and yeah, don’t be too surprised. She can sleep anywhere she wants, comfortably.” He laughed but careful not to be louder than the TV. He rather not have her awake with his voice.

“Aren’t you going to do anything about it?” Concerned, the Chinese boy eyes Soonyoung when he sees him heading straight to the kitchen which he immediately follows.

“Nah,” The dancer spoke, slowly dragging the younger boy to an empty counter before signalling him to dump the rest of the ingredients there. “I tried to be sweet and lift her to her room once but she ended up punching me on the face so I rather not let he destroy one of my fine asset, you know?” Jokingly he made the reply before turning away to stuff a couple of the items into the fridge.

With that piece of information being exchanged, Minghao smiles amusingly as he gazes on the girl before Soonyoung asks him what should they do first to satisfy Shinyoung’s late night craving once she wakes up.

 

 MEET THE CREW