━☆⌒* CT35

Under The Lights

CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE

The Final Act

How long has it been?

A question comes upon her border of consciousness as soon as her system stirs awake. Tossing her body to turn elsewhere, her hand roams on the nightstand to reach for her phone to check time. When the display remains black even after a couple of clicks, the said female groans inwardly. Her mind went off on the night before without switching on the charger. That is the third time this week.

It was bad night sleep. Those restless hours were filled with those nightmares again. To say she deserves it is unfair. Someone else should be hunted by them instead of her. Rubbing her drowsy self, she swings her legs out of the bed and lets herself fully registers to the brand new day before exiting the room.

The light stream through the opened drapes manages to put her back on the right track after a quick wash at the bathroom. Her hand instinctively moves around the kitchen counter where a jug of leftover coffee was left before she headed out to work on the day before. This is why she should really reconsider renting the vacant room but no. She does not feel like giving away the space to anyone aside from the former occupant.

The living room looks the same even after five years has passed by. Same goes to everywhere in her apartment to be honest. Besides the increasing number of malfunctioned cheap headphones, and speakers, there is no trace of other being in the house that morning. Which is to be expected. She has gotten used to loneliness in those time span.

Five years ago she would have woken up to her fellow roommate making breakfast in the exact kitchen she is in. Five years ago, she would have been nagged at for being up and about after twelve. Clearly, a lot has gone by in five years. Yet she feels the same repetitive days and weeks.

Sipping a cup of newly brewed black coffee, Kwon Shinyoung sighs as she steps into the living area once again and immediately goes ahead to the office space at ease. Figures it is a bit early to go straight to work, the female boots up her computer and situates the cup beside the mouse. With her eyes brighter, she can make sense of her late morning routine – surfing the net. On a computer because everyone remember what happened to her phone, right?

A small curve makes its way on the corner of her lips as she scrolls pass an article in the entertainment section. The title itself is a tad lengthy but she wills herself to click on them to see the update. In the short span of five years, among many of interesting turn of events came from her two former directors.

Let’s recall the stark difference between Eunkwang and Changsub. And now let’s toss those away because they managed to clear their names within the RQS circle. The rumours they once had evaporated slowly but surely. By the time it completely disappeared, the two CEOs chose to combine their venture. Thus, it led to rebrand their respective names into one.

Silver-Blue Light Box Entertainment. A mouthful for a company name. Nevertheless, it sounded like something Eunkwang came up with seeing that his old theatre production house name was quite long as well. Still playing with colours and it can be seen in their shared office space. That and including their array of idol groups’ concepts. Though they are under one agency, the significance remains as SLE prefers bright and cheery vibes while BBE still complemented the dark visual aura.

The girl goes on and checks for more article to read. Surely enough, a bubble of comfort washes upon her heart. It is definitely not from her warm coffee. “He’s doing well in Japan.” Shinyoung muttered after another sip, her eyes fixed itself on the second title for the day. She learned about the fellow’s well-being a bit too late when she returned to Seoul only to witness an empty room.

Soonyoung immediately flew to Japan once he graduated from Seoul Institute of Arts. He planned to break the news to her after the show ended regardless the outcome and sad to realise that Shinyoung was difficult to reach when she cut all contact after her drastic runaway. Even in that state, he still paid rent. It was his dedication made her recognize her true feelings for the boy. Admiration. And that is what he is receiving in Japan under a stage name: Hoshi.

“Great, how come time flies so fast these days?” Shinyoung muttered when her eyes glimpse at the corner of the computer screen, only to see it is already two in the afternoon. If she did not exactly wake up late, she could dive deeper into her readings but that can wait. Even on a Saturday, work exists because her job does not have an exact clock to it and that is the beauty of it, she guesses, sarcastically. At least she finishes her coffee this time around.

A half an hour drive down the street in the city centre, she pauses when the traffic light turns red upon her arrival. The halt gives her time to scan the neighbourhood she is in and though years have passed, SIA does not change by much. She always zooms by the large gated entrance almost every day nowadays. Along the way she also catches the sight of a music store and a small recording studio which is where RQS Studio used to stand.

If that incident never happened, will they still be there? Can she hear the laughter of the Scenic Team down at the workshop? Will she able to see the director and his friend discussing on the Saturday nights when everyone already left? Maybe she should have saved all of the crew members’ contact because that is exactly what she holds loosely on during the days she skipped an entire semester after all.

After Shinyoung finds a parking spot by her current workplace, she grabs a file on the backseat before the soft pats of her worn out Vans accompanies her journey to the building. Supposedly, she should get used to seeing the said building standing tall in front of her but there she is eyeing on them before glancing upwards. Old habits die hard.

“Are you going to continue standing in the middle of the path like an idiot or-”

The female freezes on her spot and suddenly the long brown coat wrapping her body do not help her to be warm in the chilly start of autumn season. A scoff produces from her when a sense of déjà vu hits her before she turns back only to see a male clad in his signature black hoodie, jeans, and shoes. A pair of shiny thin rimmed glasses gives him character and it is not the same one back on the days when they were on each others’ nerve.

Jeon Wonwoo is a changed man aside from his constant outfit. Snatching a full-time job as a journalist, Shinyoung tended to ironically laugh at how he maintained a story once told in a form of a play in reality. At most, she would usher the melancholy atmosphere upon recollecting an old piece of memory but he does not make any effort to stop her anytime soon.

When she fled from Seoul back then, he figured he had long lost the quote unquote competition they once had. It was unfair to continue but the winner was unravelled unspoken. Which was why he decided to ditch the idea of second chances and revaluate his choices in life. With a number of emptiness in his heart and time, Wonwoo blew his money to fix himself and he never felt healthier after that. Smoke free too!

“Thought you two will never come!” A bright, enthusiastic figure projected his voice across the performance hall. No, not Silver Diamond Hall but a different one. The person however remains constant, still maintaining his realist yet optimist self in the midst of a noisy environment. “Good day to you too, Choi Seungcheol.” Shinyoung replied with a shake of the head and it really does feel like a good day.

Former director of the third generation’s Rose Quartz and Serenity Production is now a full-time Theatre Director in Hit It Big Production. The invitation given by Seokjin who founded the named production was accepted after a month after the incident landed on them. With the old building was in no condition to be saved, Seungcheol was left without a decent job aside from making overly priced drinks at a famous café. Feeling bad about it, the older male gave him the opportunity to pick up where he last left.

Shinyoung had avoided joining this particular production for many reasons. Some hold onto more personal matter than the other. But a certain someone told assured her that he will be in better place if she learned to accept the reality stumbled upon them. If anything, he is probably rooting and guiding her from there seeing that after her graduation, it was a smooth sailing for her.

“How about you do the honour of initiating tonight’s show?” Seungcheol gently pats on Shinyoung’s shoulder, gesturing over at the lines of casts and crews in front of them. Being deep in her mind, she did not hear them gathering. Before speaking, she glances at every single faces and her heart solemnly drops. This is proven to be harder than she once thought as it is never on her book to talk to them personally.

It is not the same faces she once recalls seeing in the old team but surprisingly, they are able to snatch a couple of familiar ones. Too familiar actually because she was once anticipated to see the boy acted the character five years ago. Hard practices and persistence pays off in a long run, she concludes.

They dismissed the whole team when Shinyoung had nothing else to say aside from the typical good luck. She is not good at cheering and hyping a group. That is amusingly the same in Wonwoo’s opinion.

“Hey, do you reckon they’ll come to tonight’s show? It’s the last one after all.” He asked genuinely. “Well, they should but I understand if they don’t actually.”

As if on cue, a cheery voice blasts through the hall which centralises all attention on the new comer. The first response she does is laughing at the sudden burst of energy before it fades out. A smile remains though until the male stops in front of the pair. But he does not stop there when he chooses to choke her in his tight hug.

“I miss you Kwon Shinyoung! Don’t you dare leave like that ever again!” Soonyoung cried dramatically. At least he does not change as much. She rubs his back awkwardly before throwing signals at Wonwoo to tear him off her. “If you keep on doing that, she might actually leave for good.”

“Hey, don’t mention that. It’s a sensitive topic.” The dancer hollered and gets a glimpse of a shockingly smiley scenographer. The playwright merely shrugs and mouths ‘I told you she’s fine’, childishly if one might add. Well, it is still relatively a sensitive topic but moving on is the only option she has and she is doing good at it.

“Anyway, has anyone seen my boyfriend? I thought he’s already here. I guessed wrong.”

“What?!” Both Shinyoung and Wonwoo shouted and earn a hush from Seungcheol who is managing his casts’ blocking on the stage which is really not far from the small reunion. Also, the statement is surprising as it came from Soonyoung and he appears calm about it.

“Didn’t expect you to be-”

Wonwoo ended Shinyoung’s statement quickly before she does it herself and she nudges his side as his straightforwardness can offend some people, especially the other himself. “Chill, I’m not-” Soonyoung wanted to clear but his best friends (yes, that includes Wonwoo) cut him off with a relief sigh.

“Wow.” Shinyoung is very amused and Soonyoung is very daring to admit it so openly. She takes it back. Soonyoung does change from the last time they stayed under one roof. However, the curiosity does not stop there.

“Dude, who’s your boyfriend? Do we know him? We must be, right?” The other male questioned because he hates cliff-hanger if it is not his to hang on. Soonyoung on the other hand maintains a default blank face and replies, “You do actually. He’s probably running late. He’s back from Thailand. A family day trip or something.”

“Funny you said that. My boyfriend is also coming tonight from Thai- Wait a second!” Shinyoung puts out her arms as she slowly connects all the scattered dots Soonyoung inconveniently drawn, leaving Wonwoo still in his puzzled bubble. Poor fellow feels so lost because he is stuck in between two people and both of them has boyfriends. When will he ever find a girlfriend?

“Hey Shinyoung! My goodness there you are. Why didn’t you pick up my call? Is it dead again? You really need to buy a powe- Oh, hi guys.” The girl cranes her head back to the entrance and realises her boyfriend walking in with what she assumes to be Soonyoung’s boyfriend. “Are you even supposed to be here when they are still practicing? And how come you didn’t tell me anything?! I thought we are friends!” She switches target from the older fellow to the younger one in a shot.

Standing side by side are the powerful music producers for the current play, Lee Jihoon and tagged along with him is Min Yoongi. The latter actually contributed a song in the play which will be singing by our beloved Boo Seungkwan who finally had the chance to take the lead character.

“Uh, tell you what exactly? Stop that! What did you tell Shinyoung and Wonwoo huh?!” Jihoon questioned, completely confused by Shinyoung’s statement. The yelling however is because Soonyoung clings on the boy’s arm which he easily twists and gains a groan as the dancer experience pain on his mangled limb. A series line of apology escapes the fellow as he attempts to break out of the surprisingly strong hold.

“I think you know what.” Wonwoo mumbled and glares at Yoongi when he hears the older male laughs good-naturedly. He might or might have not known the history both Soonyoung and Wonwoo had with his girl. It has been a year and a half into a serious relationship and now that he sees them up close, it feels way funnier.

“Whatever Soonyoung tells you is a lie! Can’t believe you guys fall for that!” Jihoon defended before throwing a glare that is sharp enough to kill if it comes in a form of knife.

And before they know it, night eases in the namely Rose Quartz and Serenity Performance Hall in Hit It Big Production building, the trio bumps onto more familiar faces like the newlywed couple, Lee Changsub and his wife, Park Chorong.

Yook Sungjae and Yanan who appears to be going strong friendship wise. They had no idea how but Moon Junhui is there with them too. Probably by force because he never actually apologise properly to his other friends.

Taehyung and Jiyeon came hand in hand with news of their engagement. Shinyoung’s former understudy, Yein tagged along with her boyfriend, Jungkook, who are inconveniently third-wheeled by Mingyu himself.

All in all, everyone shows up. Everyone except for one.

Taking their final bow during the curtain call, Shinyoung strengthens herself with an artificial smile plasters on her face. She supposed this is what it would feel like if the tragedy never falls upon her old production team. Though they are ultimately ceased from existence, the sight, the name of the hall Seokjin had for this exact hall brings tears to her eyes. Looking back, she finds Seungkwan’s figure among the other casts and their eyes meet. Nodding their heads in synchronise, she somewhat knows what the fellow thinks.

It is a wrap.

Night & Rain, A Musical.

As a token of remembrance to an honourable member of Rose Quartz and Serenity Production Casts, Xu Minghao.