━☆⌒* CT30

Under The Lights

CHAPTER THIRTY

Back Together

“Hey, Shinyoung. How are you doing? Good?” Seungcheol’s concern tone enters her ears once she trudges into the performance hall with Soonyoung closely following from behind. Since the Theatre Director’s voice was loud, the two assume it came from the second floor. And they assumed right.

When they glance up, they see him waving down at them with Wonwoo who is barely conscious from his disturbed sleep yet he musters the energy to wave as well. Junhui however is nowhere to be seen. He might be out to get breakfast for the three of them or washing up in the crew’s restroom.

“Do you know when the former directors will come?” Shinyoung questioned as she takes one of the many chairs for the audience to sit on. Seungcheol joins in the discussion since there is little number of crew members around. The Stage Manager set 12 pm for the call-time so most of them high-likely arrive by then.

“Sungjae said Hyunsik and Changsub will come together later in the evening. Knowing their closeness, Hyunsik might come along with Yoongi. Why are you asking?”

“Just curious.” She answered truly.

It is their last night together as a production. Anyone can predict the outcome of the Night & Rain at the end of the show. She does not want to brag but she was not expecting tickets to be sold for almost all with more than half of it are booked earlier by a lot of Seoul Institute of Arts students.

When questioned, they came as a sign of support to their senior, Seungcheol as the director. Some Creative Writing students came after realising it is their classmate’s work being staged. Wonwoo never forced anybody to be there nor did he invite them from the start. Shinyoung’s classmates joined as well and plenty of Mingyu’s close acquaintances are giddy to see his costume design comes to life. The enthusiastic music kids pop in to listen to Jihoon’s compositions.

“Oh, Chan, you come early today.” Shinyoung stated with a wondering smile. The boy meekly bows before replying; “I swung by SIA before coming here. Got last minute errand to run.”

“I see.” Seungcheol uttered approvingly. That is what SIA lecturers are known for anyway. It does not surprise him that even though a lot papers are already submitted and taken, there are still bits and pieces somewhat left down the line. To know which task it was, Shinyoung catches a glimpse of the Audio boys entering the hall. It is probably a Scenography thing.

“I got breakfast for three! Oh, sorry I didn’t get anything for you two.” Junhui struts towards them with recognisable black plastic bag from a nearby Korean family restaurant in hands. Soonyoung shakes his head. “Ah, it’s okay. We already had our breakfast.”

“Good. Because I don’t want her to faint. Glad to see Wonwoo was quick to bring her to safety.” The Chinese male mentioned before a hint of blush appears on his friends. He notices the look on the two and surely, it reminds him of the good old days. The good old high school days.

“Hey boys! Have you eaten anything?” Shinyoung randomly switches the attention from the circle to Vernon, Hyunggu, and Chan to hide the awkward vibe she is getting. Soonyoung naturally laughs at the action while Seungcheol? He is not exactly aware of the hidden rivalry even after months of the practice sessions.

Hours pass by in a jiffy when most of the familiar faces working under RQS Production appear roaming in the hall. Half of the dance ensembles are taking their sweet time preparing for the last show with additional practices and the actors reciting their lines in front of the mirrors in their designated dressing rooms. But someone is missing even half an hour after the actual call-time.

“Can anyone reach Myungho’s phone? Where is he? Has anyone is in contact of Seo Myungho. Please let me or Yerin know. Thank you.” Junhui announces his trouble aloud using a microphone, gaining everyone’s attention at once.

“Did you not come with him today?” Shinyoung asked Mingyu as soon as Junhui drops the mic in Vernon’s hand. The tall boy never fails to come together with the said actor on any other days. She thought she missed the lanky figure when she was busy checking on Soonyoung’s lighting team to notice the lack of Xu Minghao that afternoon.

“He told me to go first. I asked him why and he said he’ll tell me later. So…” The boy answered her question while making sure the tagged costumes are all in its places. He does not want whatever happened to Soyeon yesterday occurring again. He felt bad for leaving his assistant at the worst time ever. When he is sure the males’ outfits are all in one rail, he turns to face Shinyoung.

“But it is unlike him to be this tardy.” Now he mentioned it, Minghao rarely comes late minus for the times he pull an all-nighter to finish his assignments. This one time however, he has no idea why he is behind schedule.

 


 

“No, we’re going together or otherwise you will bail on me! Where are you?” His voice on the phone causes the receiver to wince in slight annoyance. The fellow should be glad he wakes up on the right side of the bed not to retaliate in the same loud manner. He is still dressed in his pyjamas. Not to mention it looks like a good Saturday afternoon too.

“I’ll meet you at the café. Goodness, be chill will you?” Changsub being on the current side of the call rubs his temple as he breezes through his closet for a decent outfit. Regret beginning to sprout in his mind for rejecting the idea of dragging his girlfriend to his apartment. She even offered to be his stylist for the day too but for an unknown reason, he does not feel the need for her.

“You’re having trouble choosing your clothes, aren’t you?” Changsub curses when his friend, Hyunsik picks up the rustling sound of his hangers clash onto one another. “Look, I haven’t gone to Rose Quartz’s show for awhile now. Do you think I have a go-to outfit for this exact occasion?”

Hyung…” Hyunsik holds a laugh once we turn to see him twirling his car key in his hand and continues, “Just wear anything semi-formal. It’s not a big deal.”

“Need I remind you that I’m a CEO of a rising entertainment agency? Not under my watch. My boys are doing well too.” That is the end sentence for Hyunsik to burst his pent up laughter. He might actually forget that fact for a quick moment. But what he said is the truth. Changsub has a reputation to maintain.

“Whatever. Is she coming along with us?” The younger fellow instantly asked when he recalls something extra. A pause takes over the conversation for a good three seconds before he gets a reply. “Who? My girlfriend?”

“Yes, unless your mom decided to tag along to the show.” Playfully, Hyunsik mentioned because it is not often he has the chance to joke around the particular man. It is as if as soon as they step into Blue Box Entertainment building, anything personal they share are left behind the entrance door.

“…Don’t drag my mom into this.” And Hyunsik can see Changsub frowning though they are very far apart. That simply proves how strong their bond is.

 


 

“Are we car-pooling or-”

“Eunkwang, really?”

“What?” The older male questioned, completely wonders if he stated anything wrong. “Nothing. It just sounds funny when it comes from you.” Yoongi spoke honestly before cracking his signature gummy smile at the way Eunkwang scowling at him. He wanted to laugh actually but there is still a hint of respect in him reminding that the guy in front of him is his boss.

“Anyway, yeah. We’ll meet up at the café first because for whatever reason, Ilhoon wants his evening coffee.”

“Those things exist? You youngsters are wild.”

“Eunkwang, you’re not that old than us, alright?” The younger told him and that is enough to shut the older up. He is ultimately the total opposite of Changsub, Yoongi concludes in secrecy. He is sure Hyunsik will agree with him on that one because after all, that is what the false rumours are all about.

It is Yoongi’s turn to flip the smile upside down. Will it be alright for all the former directors to be in one building? It is a strange thought, appearing out of the blue. He was not invited yet he still tagged along because Hyunsik said there is nothing wrong him going without a formal invitation. Nonetheless, he still finds it uncanny for them to get such formal letter. Not when Eunkwang broke the news through his sudden story-telling session.

The drive to the café after fetching the two at Silverlight Entertainment office is still with Hyunsik lightly tapping the steering wheel according to the beat of the music played on the radio. There is nothing to discuss yet it is fortunately not an awkward drive seeing that Yoongi is not much of a talker and same applied to the driver. As for SLE’s CEO, he has no topic to talk about.

Namjoon and Seokjin are already waiting for them at the café. Minutes after the car parked, Jinho appears with a bright smile tosses over their general direction. Ilhoon is lining up, doing the honour of ordering coffees for everyone including the ones who has yet to come.

“You’re late.” Hyunsik spoke as matter-of-factly when everyone finds Changsub walks through the café’s entrance. “Chorong cannot make it. I was waiting for her only to learn that she is not even in town to tag along. I forgot that she has a schedule…somewhere.” Changsub confessed his reason behind the tardiness. Uncalled for – he states and will continue ranting if it is not for Namjoon cutting in.

“But it’s good to see you finally come to a Rose Quartz’s show. Seungcheol has outdone us with this one. Even the preview is good. I read the short reviews from the SIA kids and really, lots of positives.”

“You actually bothered checking reviews? Don’t you have a company to run?” Seokjin playfully fired with his arms fold against his torso. Chuckling at the sight is no other than Yoongi himself. He worked a number of times with the two directors to catch their friendly fire in the past. It brings up a piece of memory.

“Remember back then you guys used to fight like this?” He finally opens a new subject. “Ugh, don’t remind me. I remember how hard it was to stop Seokjin from constantly screaming in that tiny meeting room.” Jinho admitted with the same wide smile still on like a default expression of the day.

“Hey, it’s not my fault he always outsmarted me with his fancy plots and twists and such.” He fought earnestly and causes Namjoon to laugh a bit too loud for the waiters to throw deathly gaze at them. “It’s not my fault that you didn’t get to direct Serendipity. I even got Jimin to perform back then.”

“Sure. At least I managed to snatch Jimin into my production. Who’s the real winner here? I even got that Jeonghan kid with me.”

“You do know that Jimin and Jeonghan are technically the same age wise, right?” Ilhoon who conveniently slips in between their conversation joins, giving out their drinks. Since it is to-go, all of them slowly make their way out of the café before deciding how to head down to the Silver Diamond Hall.

“We didn’t exactly think this through, are we?” Yoongi asked to no one in particular and dramatically sips his Iced Americano. “Well, it’s not that far but it’ll take time by feet.” Jinho mentioned, gazing on the long path in front of them where the foot traffic appears to increase its size as the time goes by.

“Four of you can hop in my car.” Hyunsik shared the information and they turn their heads to face him simultaneously. There are seven of them and only four fit in his four-wheeled transportation. This comes down to only one way in order to decide the lucky ones.

“Alright guys, you know the drill.” Eunkwang puts his right hand in the centre of their random circle which was formed unplanned. “Can’t believe you actually initiate rock, paper, scissors in front of a café that sells overly priced coffee.” Ilhoon complained and adds…

“I love it!”

 


 

He really needs to cut this habit of his especially during a hot Saturday afternoon. Sweats are starting to trickle from his head and he really needs a haircut too once the show is over. The idea of keeping his hair longer is not a part of the play yet he casually follows Seungcheol’s plan because the look somewhat fits him.

Minghao blasts through the main door of Silver Diamond Hall with Sungjae throws a surprised glance at how swift the Chinese boy moves under the immense outdoor heat. Even in the haste, he can hear Yanan’s laughter, probably aiming at his uncalled tardiness on the last day of show.

“You’re an hour late.” Minghao immediately stumbles onto Junhui once he reaches the main stage area and stops to catch his breath. “I guess you can ditch the running part of the warm up.” He added as matter-of-factly with a light chuckle when the boy’s hands hold onto his knees for additional support from toppling over.

“Thanks for the heads up, Jun.” Minghao stuttered between his heavy breathing and gazes up to meet Junhui’s eyes. Taken aback by the expression plasters on the older male’s face, he straightens up. “Why are you smiling like that?”

Anyone within the close proximity can see that Junhui’s smile is a bit strange for comfort. It is not due to happiness, which is for sure because from first glance it can be registered as a tired curve. The strangeness goes on until Minghao gently waves his hand in front of Junhui’s face when the boy does not say more words.

“Are you alright, Junhui?” He chose to question in a language they are more comfortable with, Chinese. That surely gains the necessary attention from him. “Oh, it’s nothing. Just go do your practice. It’s going to be your last show after all.” Junhui good-naturedly pats Minghao’s shoulder and leaves him to the backstage area.

“Yo, Seo Myungho, come here.” The boy turns his head around to find the source of a very recognisable voice owned by the Music Director of Night & Rain. He is seated in his group of musician which are not a lot of them since there is not a lot of live music required for the play to begin with.

“I suggest you rehearse your final solo song with us before Seungcheol gathers all of us for the last briefing session.” Jihoon said without tearing off his eyes on score sheets on the stand. Not that Minghao ever got used to the treatment anyway. Jihoon is more of a listener than a watcher.

That is what makes him good at his job and Minghao respects that and the rest of the production members for appearing like a professional throughout his experience. He will miss being among them once the show is over.

 MEET THE CREW