━☆⌒* CT03

Under The Lights

CHAPTER THREE

Expecting Unexpected

Three knocks on the door is a sign of an incoming visitor. Seeing that the only room beyond the white wooden door is a workspace which is built upon mutual agreement, it makes sense that the girl Soonyoung is searching for cooped in it instead of her bedroom at midnight. He is quite afraid actually to face her during the time as she does not like any form of disturbance while she is using the room. He is about to give up until he hears her voice on the other side.

“What do you want, Soon?” She called out, muffled due to the border between them but thankfully it enters his ears clearly. She is calling me by a syllable, that’s a good sign, the boy concluded before gulping his nerves down. “I got you a job for the next Rose Quartz project. I have the script with me. I just thought you might need it since you’re in as the Scenographer.”

A still atmosphere hangs in the air once he is done delivering the message. It happens often however he rarely feels awkward no matter how intense their discussion ended up being. It also usually revolves around theatre works that caused them to get heated up in any unnecessary fight too. While it is always solved in a professional manner, Soonyoung seems to still have doubted the other might truly reject the job.

“If it’s too much for you, I can tell Ju-”

“Just put it on the coffee table. I’ll take the job. I need them anyway.” The dancer lets out a relieved sigh as soon as he heard her. He cannot really tell how genuine her respond was but at least she adds a quick thank you right after. “I’m heading straight to bed, okay? Don’t stay up too long, Shin.” After he finishes and sure of himself, he follows her instruction by placing the play text on the said spot.

Kwon. Shin. Young.

It is her name alright. It is a habit of hers to gaze on her name written scrappily on the corner of the script’s cover page. A last-minute decision at its finest, she speculated. Her eyes skim briefly, trying to read the small lettering which is supposedly where the title of the play is placed. Just by looking at the format used, it does not require much effort to figure out the writer’s name. The girl scoffs, recalling a vague memory of encountering the young lad in the past. She knows him.

The Scenographer knows the Playwright a bit too much.

 


 

Yawning and stretching his limbs after minutes of blaring alarm booting his system up, Soonyoung drowsily makes his way out of the comfort of his warm bed and immediately heads for the kitchen.

Though there are a couple of variations in terms of morning drink, his instinct causes his hand to brew Shinyoung’s preferable beverage, coffee – black ones. He would want to babble at her for the unhealthy intake of caffeinated drinks in her diet but there is nothing he can do about it. She literally needs them. Without it, she might pass out because of a stomach ache or something. And he definitely did not exaggerate on that part.

He brings two cups: one for hers, obviously, and the other for him. He is not a fan yet he cannot be bothered to make any other. It is unlike him to waste perfectly made coffee especially when it is him making. Upon entering the living room, he exhales.

The drapes on the window closed off tight, preventing any source of natural light to slip into the room. And it is not just that which caused him to sigh. He shakes his head before kneeling beside his sleeping friend. She amuses him at times like this. The girl can sleep everywhere even in discomfort. A talent that Soonyoung wishes to have whenever he is required to stay in the damp dance studio before his final or something related to that. He will always long for his bed regardless of the fallen circumstances.

Judging on the colourful markings, yellow sticky notes plastered on the coffee table, Soonyoung can tell that Shinyoung is working through the night. The script contains about 30 pages of stage directions and dialogues. Adding an additional five pages at the end are songs, original ones made for the play, making it musical theatre. He guesses she is not sleeping due to the fact the playwright is what she will say as ‘someone of the past’.

“Shinyoung, if you want to continue sleeping go ahead and use your bed like a normal person.” He said, smiling softly when he sees the girl stirs and slowly lifts her head to meet his eye level. “But you make coffee. You know I can’t say no to your masterpiece, Soon.”

“It’s just coffee.” Soonyoung chuckles before he lowers the cup on the table and turns to get a good glance at the scattered sketches. “You work fast. Did you literally stay up to read all in one go?” She nods.

“I did. I have zero regrets. It’s an interesting story so why not get it over with. This might actually help me with my future Directed Studies class. You land a good job for me.” Her eyes are finally able to open wide enough to follow his face which is looking at her rough set design in fascination. “Really? Thank goodness. I have double work for this play though. I’ll be the Choreographer and Lighting Head at the side. It’s going to be tough to do both but if I manage to finish making the choreography early, I can work with lights at ease.”

“You’re so pumped up for a theatre production as always, Soon. Don’t come at me crying blood. I’m technically your leader so you better do your lighting work as good as your dances.” Shinyoung sips her drink whilst eyeing on a piece on Soonyoung’s hand before continuing, “Anyway, when is the next meeting? Are you sure the SM wants me in the production? He should’ve added me in a group chat or something.”

“Oh, right. I think you’ll join in soon enough. Jun did say Yerin is in charge of that part.” Soonyoung bobs his head at his own statements. He can always check on the assistant Stage Manager if she does remember her job but he cannot since this girl, Jung Yerin is practically new to the production team and is under Junhui’s watch most of the time.

“Oh, by the way,” Shinyoung had to pause since she decides to take a long sip of her coffee, not having any sort of eye contact with Soonyoung while doing so and that makes the fellow nervous all of the sudden. Though, truth to be told, it appears that he already predicted her next question. “Why didn’t you warn me it’s Wonwoo’s script last night?”

“Uh…huh…” The boy stutters and he does not know why he thinks it is the best time to stumble on his words when he is by comparison better at talking than her. “I just might’ve forgotten about it last night. I was very tired and all.” He spoke in a hush.

“And how did he react when you told Seungcheol my name?”

“How did you even know I didn’t tell Seungcheol one to one about this? Anyway, he does seem like he’s a bit on the edge beca-”

Because knowing Wonwoo, he would’ve suggested me himself but he somewhat made you do all the work.

 


 

“Someone looks fancy.” Minghao turns around, glancing back where the voice’s source is. Similarly, a smile comes upon their faces as if bumping onto one another out of the campus’ border is a rare occasion. “You look…there’s really no difference in what you’re wearing. Where are you heading to?”

“The mall, apparently. Trying to get a hand on some fabrics for my class assignment.” The friend replied and tosses the same question to the other. “I’m going downtown. My printer’s dead. Why?”

“The casting call is on Thursday. Are you going?” The invitation comes out of the tall fellow’s mouth after he manages to witness the boy with a weird fashion sense after walking out of the apartment building. As they seem to be heading somewhere different, they have to stop their movement to converse in the lobby area. “Is it the one where I shouldn’t act well so I’ll not get the lead role?” Minghao tried not to grimace upon repeating his friend’s line.

“Ha ha, yeah, that one.” Mingyu sheepishly giggles, finding his own words sounding funny when it escapes from his friend’s lips. “I can give you a head start if you want. I have-”

“No thanks. I rather not think about it too much. I’m not supposed to be too good, remember?” The lad waves the offer away in an instant. He already knows Mingyu wanted to lend him his copy of the script, probably to get an idea of the outfit before submitting it to the Artistic Director. Speaking of an Artistic Director…

“Hey, Gyu, did you guys manage to get the Art Director though?”

“They apparently did. Someone from my class too. Kwon Shinyoung.”

Kwon Shinyoung. Where did I hear the name before?’ He pondered for a brief moment and being good friends they are, Mingyu cuts it off, “She’s taking Cinematography too this semester. She’s the quiet one at the back seat but can spit fire during a presentation.”

Spit fi- Wait what?

“Hey! What is that supposed to mean? We’ll not have a presentation until next week.” Minghao shouted in confusion when he catches Mingyu’s distancing figure and he only manages to get a back wave from the taller boy. He did not even turn back to face him. This is what get being friends with him and he learns to accept them. Yet here he is, still puzzled.

Nevertheless, the boy shrugs it off after seconds of thought and begins to make his advances. He is planning to head to the downtown area since that is where he often goes to and really he only knows that one computer shop nearby. He does not remember what he did to have it dried out so fast but it is a good idea to breeze his way out of the apartment anyway since there is nothing major to be done on that particular Saturday.

Securing his bag pack, he slings it on his shoulders once again after he managed to purchase a set instead of the one colour ink. He reckons the black and white one will be needed soon too so why not. After that, Minghao has no exact destination. Should he stop by a café to grab a drink or should he return home and get a head start on one of his assignments? Suddenly a decision is hard to come by.

The phone seated in his back pocket vibrates in the midst of a moving train of thought. By the time he snatches it out to view, his tongue makes a clicking sound upon reading the text. Of course, there is that Cinematography presentation which is due in one week time. He has to find another member to add and the one he already gathered were kind enough to remind him about it. Not even Mingyu reminded him an hour ago. So much for teamwork, right?

“At this rate, no one is free anymore. Everyone must have a group already, right?” He muttered incoherently, scanning the area and noticing an old bookstore standing on his left. There is nothing special about it in his opinion. He has seen it multiple times as he is a regular customer of the computer store four stores before the current one he is standing at. However, why is Minghao seems to be stuck on his feet in front of the aforementioned shop?

Exiting the glass automated door is a familiar figure. His brain fights immediately to find out the other’s identity and it appears to pop a name relatively quick. Walking uncharacteristically slow to the person, he is afraid to disturb the figure’s action which is reading some sort of magazine. Fortunately, he is very sure he has not mistaken the girl for another when she looks up.

There is a moment of strange wondering. Minghao is sure, right? She is, in fact, his classmate, the one taking the exact same Cinematography class. So it is logical to ask her out of the blue if she is in any group for the presentation. But everything seems so sudden especially when they never talk to each other before. It might be due to the fact they are in two very different majors. That does not stop him be friends with Mingyu so what makes this one different?

“Kwon Shinyoung, right?”

The quiet one at the back seat but can spit fire during a presentation.’ Minghao added thoughtfully and catches the girl bobbing her head before answering with a short yeah.

“Seo Myungho, we’re in the same class for Cinematography.” He decided to introduce with his Korean name instead since that is what most of his acquaintances call him. “I just want to know if you already have a group for next week’s presentation.” An inaudible sigh escapes from his lungs. He feels a bit tense for no apparent reason.

“I’m not planning to do the presentation-” Shinyoung replied but not fully since Minghao cuts her almost instantly, hearing it as a rejection. “Ah, no no. You’re misunderstanding.” She stops him, gesturing him to calm down with her free hand before bringing it back to rub her nape.

“I’m not planning to do the presentation and was going to turn it in as a writing assignment form since no one actually invited me to join a group. The ones I asked already filled in so…yeah.”

“Really? Why not? Mingyu- Ah, true not even Mingyu suggested you. Sorry for not thinking about you sooner.”

“It’s alright. As sad as it might sounds, I have gotten used to it.” Shinyoung smiles little and her gaze fixes on Minghao when the boy is quiet all of the sudden. “Well, if that’s it, when will you guys meet up?” He finally returns to reality and it is exactly why he spaced out in the first place. He did not think about a group discussion meeting.

“How about Monday afternoon? We can eat lunch together with the rest and discuss it. I don’t like a serious discussion meeting anyway.” The Film student planned out right off the bat before his brain cells start to work decently and hold out his phone. “I’ll need your number to add you in the group chat though.”

“Sure.”

Minghao tries to hide a smile when he reads the numbers on his phone screen. He never thought finding an additional member will be as easy. If he had known earlier, he would have taken her in the group when they initially form the group. He just hopes Shinyoung will not have a problem working with him or something. Maybe he should try asking Mingyu more to get a head start.

“Wait, I just realised there’ll be two Film and two Theatre on the team. I should let Jungkook know about her first before adding her.” With that sort out, Minghao invites the girl into the group chat because apparently, Jeon Jungkook does not mind anybody joining them.

Unexpected but really he should have seen it coming.

 MEET THE CREW