━☆⌒* CT15

Under The Lights

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Friend and Enemy

Being blind is not an option and she is very sure that her heart tugs in shock when the last bit of spring wind enters her bedroom, winding through her short hair. It is a struggle, really. Even with the temporary glasses helping her to see better underneath the main light in the room and the additional source coming from her desk lamp, her eyes squint hard and her tongue is slightly visible from the immense concentration.

Which is broken by a loud thud from her door.

“Dinner’s ready!” Soonyoung burst into her bedroom and hears her light squeal before a tiny wince of pain enters his ears. Worried of his own doing, he runs to her whose eyes are on her fingers and her shoulders slumps. He can see her pouting before he even fully face her.

“I almost got the thread through the needle, Soon!” Shinyoung yelled at him, slapping on his arm, mad at the boy for interrupting her main focus of the night. She has been trying to finish her task for the costume class before she noticed how disturbingly short the white thread was when she almost closes off an opening of the outfit she is working on. It took her ten minutes to have it in.

“Sorry. Let me do that for you.” He mentioned, taking the needle and thread into his hands, and he copies the exact same facial expression he just witnessed. “Do you have to mock me like that?” She rolls her eyes, clearly not amused to see Soonyoung imitating her expression. Yes, she knew how she looks like when she does that. Looking up briefly, he decides to .

“At least you look cute while doing it.” A blush creeps on her face and to say she has gotten use to his random compliments is an understatement. She will probably never get the hang of it since he always throws it in the most casual way. “You’re just saying that just so I’ll not kick you out of this house.”

“Anything you say, Miss Landlord.” The boy stated calmly before handing her the needle with the thread easily inserted into its rightful spot. “Now, let’s eat dinner. I don’t want to eat it once it’s cold. I even have Sprite.”

“You’re too kind, Soon.” Shinyoung beams a smile over at his direction which he accepts by doing the same. It is not hard to make her happy, he pondered. She is not an open book yet her actions are easy to read. Why would the girl get out of the way and switch from Pepsi to Sprite for the past few days? He does not know the reasoning but if that is what she prefers, he will buy gallons of them if he could. But that will defeat the purpose of keeping her healthy.

Dinner is simple. Kimchi fried rice with fried eggs. The Sprite is still in the bottle so Soonyoung does the honour of serving the drinks while Shinyoung scoops the rice out of the pan and bring two plates to the dining table. Not exactly the most ideal meal. But hey, broke college students with small flowing income need to survive somehow in the concrete jungle.

“To think that you’re one of the worst cook in existence when you first moved here, Soon.” The girl started after having her first taste of the well-made meal. When she mentioned his past cooking experience, his face dulls because it is very real. He was the worst cook ever. He almost had the kitchen cabinet on fire for his carelessness.

“You didn’t even cook before I moved in, Shin. Who’s the winner here?” Soonyoung fights back with legitimate fact. Shinyoung cannot cook to save her life. She depended her life on street food and family restaurants within the neighbourhood to fulfil her hunger bar. Money wise, she was thankful her savings since childhood actually aided her young adulthood.

“Myungho is still a better cook though.”

“He cooked once and you’re already in love with his cooking. What’s next? His whole being? Well, I’m not surprised if you fall for him to be honest. He is all you mentioned these past few days.” Shinyoung’s forehead wrinkles upon hearing Soonyoung’s lines. “Did I really?”

“Yes, do you even hear yourself? I know he’s a good actor and dancer. I can do the same.” He mentioned and it takes her seconds to figure out his tone. It is hard to fathom at first but there is only one reason why he sounds so sulky when he himself saying the younger boy’s name. “You’re jealous of Myungho, Soon?”

“No I’m not. I’m just…stating an observation.” The dancer slowly uttered in between his meal. His small eyes are downcast as he spoke and it is the best not to push him even more. Nonetheless, it is not often to catch a live action jealous Kwon Soonyoung. “That is one fine observation you’ve done there. How long have you been recording them?”

“You know, I’m not in the mood to talk about him. Can we talk about me and how I slayed my final dance recital yesterday?” Soonyoung pokes the egg yolk with his chopsticks; the eyes have yet to meet up with hers. “Oh, the one with Yuna? It was beautiful by the way. The choreography.” Shinyoung said with all honestly.

It is true. Soonyoung is an excellent dancer and choreographer. It is obvious that he would slay all of his performances. Has it for huge competition or a class assessment, he did it wholeheartedly and she respects that side of him. Seeing him moving across any given space amazes her as someone who used to dance in the past. She left it when the feedbacks she received were mostly negative though.

“You’re daydreaming again.” Her friend told her when he sees the way her eyes and hands maintain in the same manner for a good minute. Shaking her head, Shinyoung returns her train back to the station and curtly smiles, slightly embarrassed. “It’s not exactly daydreaming when it’s night time, Soon.”

“I know.” Soonyoung shortly uttered. “I’ll miss this once we’re done.”

“We still have a lot more years to go? I don’t get it.” Shinyoung replied in genuine puzzlement. “You don’t think I’ll be staying here even after graduating, are you?” He does not want it too, to be frank. He loves being in the apartment. He has everything there.

A shelter.

Food and drink supplies.

RQS Production.

And…his heart.

 


 

Shinyoung is seated at the picnic table which is now appearing to be her common place to take a break in between classes. Since it is nearing to an end, the summer heat gradually in control as the sun hang above her head which is placed on the table. She just submitted her assignment minutes ago and she almost cried when she saw how nice Mingyu’s costume design for his cosplay. People would say his was easy but she knew how hard the fellow worked to imitate the volleyball jersey.

In the midst of the tranquil breeze of transitioning season, the girl’s beam of sunlight darkened when someone suddenly blocking it. As her eyes were closed, it flutters open and her eyes are barely able to catch the sight of the lad. Seconds passed, she body immediately shoots upwards to a complete sitting position.

He gently places what she assumes to be the cafeteria’s cheap coffee and chocolate flavoured bread within her sight. She simply glances at the set of breakfast before their eyes meet, both are aware of the rarity of such moment. Seeing that bickering is the only thing they do, she cannot help but to start.

“Is there a bet you have to win or something?” Shinyoung said. A bit too low for the male to hear her clearly yet he managed to catch words like ‘bet’ and ‘win’ so that is fine too, he guesses. “I’m just trying to be nice?” He stated questioningly. He honestly has no idea why he is doing it too.

The best reason he could figure out is mainly due to the fact he has been planning to get on her good side for awhile now. Even after months of constant cross paths, they never actually stop to speak with one another. Add on the times they spent in Rose Quartz studio, it does not make much difference. The similarity they had was cold shoulders and passive aggressively attacking the other.

“You? Jeon Wonwoo trying to be nice, to me?”

“I can’t be nice?” Wonwoo asked further before choosing to take the bench across her and she is clearly unhappy by the action. “It’s…weird.” Shinyoung openly made the statement. The choice of word does not suit the whole ordeal but that works so she lets it be. Ready is not exactly the word appears in her mind either.

“Did you get Jun’s text? The new practice schedule is up in the group chat.” He opted to hold onto his own cup of coffee before gesturing her to do the same with his eyes. Reading it easily, she slowly sips her drink before answering his question. “I did. I can’t believe we only have less than two weeks before the actual show. I wonder if we can save RQS at this state.”

“Seungcheol probably had that thought out in advance. He wouldn’t take over without a good intention. He even assembled a great team too so I reckon RQS will still run just like how our founder hopes.”

“Great team…” She mumbled in wonder. Positive words do not slip out of Wonwoo’s mouth easily and to hear it somehow managed to ease the little bits of worry. “Well, I got to leave a lot of credit on Seungcheol and Soonyoung. Jihoon too since he does amazingly music wise.”

“Are you sure you’re not leaving someone out?” He mentioned, purposely hoping for her to remember the actual man, the true backbone of the entire ‘Night & Rain’. She knows his wish to hear his name sprouts out of her yet her cheeky side does not feel right to say them aloud. Not yet.

“I don’t think so. I mean, I have the worst memory recall so I can’t really think of anyone else. Besides, the story is very typical and cliché. A guy having a crush on a girl but he lost her due to some reasons unknown to her. I must say, Myungho and Sujeong portray both characters well. It’s like as if…”

“As if?”

As if…should she even say them to him? She has a sense telling her that is what exactly what Wonwoo want to hear aside from crediting his work, complimenting it even since with all honestly, she loves the story. He incorporates familiar vibes in the plot that the story reminds a lot of…her own self.

“Forget about it. I’m going home. Soonyoung and I are going out later to catch a movie. Haven’t been doing it ever since we’re deep into the play.” Shinyoung instantly stands up, shaking the table slightly causing Wonwoo to instinctively hold onto the cup in his hand. “The least you can do is to thank me for the drink.” He whispered but by the time he ended his sentence, the girl already walks away. When her silhouette is gone, he sighs.

“She didn’t even eat and finish her coffee.”

 


 

It has been a long while since the last time she had let off some steam from her system. Laughing at the corny jokes Soonyoung came up with, Shinyoung playfully pushes him once they walked out of the cinema. As they were taking two hours of their evening to watch the movie, the sky is showing signs of turning its light dimmer.

“Okay, but frankly speaking, I didn’t expect the lead male to die. It was so sad I almost cry.” Shinyoung gathers herself after the seconds too long laugh to finally talk properly. “Yeah, I agree. I thought he could make it out on time too. Yet I can’t see her ends up with him. Not that they don’t look good together but you know…meh.” Her friend shrugs at the end of his line.

“I guess I can’t argue on that part.”

Soonyoung bobs his head before turning his head from the street view to get a glimpse of his female friend. Briefly catching her holding onto her bag strap, he wonders what is the point securing on her shoulder beforehand if she is planning to hold it the whole time. It is probably a habit of hers, he assumes but she has no trouble putting her hands preoccupied on any other occasion. He notices these bits of her.

Later, he looks down to his pockets where he chucked his hands in. At least he has a decent reason to keep them in. He has nothing to grasp on. Perhaps, Soonyoung actually resists the urge to do something else that has been running in his mind. Comfortable silence fills in between their conversation and Shinyoung instantly drags his attention back to reality.

“Since we’re out, how about we eat at that one Chinese place?”

“Why not a Korean restaurant instead?” Soonyoung mumbled unenthusiastically when she mentioned the impromptu plan. Without looking directly at her, he can see her torso slumps dejectedly from the corner of his eyes. “After last night’s dinner, I suddenly want to get some Chinese food, you know? I can’t just walk to Myungho and be like Hey can you make that porridge again or any other Chinese food ‘cause it was good.

“What about Junhui? He’s Chinese too?”

“I don’t remember Jun and cooking being a set, Soon.” She frankly stated and finally taking note of the facial expression showed on his face. He is frowning, forehead forming little creases, and he is pouting. Anything but Soonyoung’s pouty face. Sighing, Shinyoung wraps her left arm around his right arm.

Surprised at the gesture, Soonyoung swears he almost lets his heart escapes his ribcage. Eyeing straight into her eyes, he tries to get an idea on what is going on. What is she planning? Shinyoung seldom makes the first move. The only skin-ship ever happen between them is friendly slaps and pokes. So feel free to toss away the idea of them going beyond that before. Heck, he was scared to carry her into her bedroom when she passed out in the living room once before mainly because she physically attacked him on the face.

“How does Japanese sounds? You like sushi, right?” She asked as she slowly unhooks her arm but stops to hold on his lower hand before stopping their pace to look at him. She figures if they are arguing over food, at least one country somehow manage to tie their decision together. Smiling, he nods.

“Japanese is good.”

 MEET THE CREW