━☆⌒* CT11

Under The Lights

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Crossed Paths

“How long have you been doing that, Myungho?”

The teaser shooting team gathers around once Minghao hops off the metal stairs, landing smoothly on the ground. The question came from the Director though he should have expected his talent’s capability. He initially thought the fellow was partly bluffing or was being overly confident but he was not lying. Minghao does know how to do his own stunts.

“I think that’s as cool as it gets.” Jungkook hollered with his eyes remaining on the small screen on the back of his DSLR. As he is evaluating the shots taken for the past unknown hours, the group gathers around Minghao. Looking up, he adds, “Maybe you can teach me some of that moves.”

“Maybe you’re as good in an alternate universe.” His friend mentioned whilst dusting his pants to ease the awkwardness that managed to linger in the midst of endless compliments. Giving them is a lot easier than receiving; he spoke to himself in his mind before sensing a figure on his right. When he is done, he finds it is Shinyoung almost beaming in fascination.

“But really, that is cool. Wonwoo will not see that coming. That’s for sure.” She said confidently, bringing her hand to perch on his shoulder to pat them. “I think I know what to do for the stage.”

“Good to hear that.” A voice joins them all of the sudden which freezes the female’s figure and turning the males’ head to find the owner’s face. Being the one who invited him, Jungkook glances on his phone’s lock-screen as it shows 02:58pm. They had been doing it for almost three hours with the occasional breaks and him switching batteries. If he can, he wants to blame the cloud looming above them as well but you know what? You cannot blame nature for disturbing your work.

“Never thought you’ll come.” Seungcheol steps towards the new comer who casually dressed in black hoodie and pants. “Never thought she’ll come.” Wonwoo replied apathetically, glaring at her presence as he speaks.

“I invited her.” Jungkook meekly slides into the exchange and he already feels bad when he notices the change of facial expression appearing on Shinyoung’s face. Unhappy is an understatement. She looks like she can burst any moment or break. Either way is a big no-no. He has no idea how to confront that if it happens.

“Since you’re here, you might as well join us for lunch. I’m paying.” The oldest among the group invited and gestures them to tag along. It is not like they have any other choice anyway. Besides, with an empty stomach, any free food is welcome and tasty.

 


 

The night’s production meeting is rather quiet since there is nothing major to discuss aside from reporting on their first week agenda. Seungcheol acknowledges the absentees in the room which are the Music majors so he will definitely have to remind the assistant head of the audio department to make themselves available starting next week’s practice sessions. Since dismissing them seems a waste of time, he ponders an activity and conveniently Taehyung has an idea.

“I figured it’s a good idea to clean the workshop tonight? The things we’ll be using needs to be cleaned and checked on before using. If I’ve known we’re not doing much, I would’ve told my team to come.” He announced and easily gets hands rising for the occasion. Much to his surprise, the Scenographer and Playwright’s hands in the air almost at the same time.

“This is going to be interesting.” Taehyung heard his girlfriend whispered because she already senses tension coming from them as soon as the two had their eyes met. Well, Jiyeon is saying the truth so why bothered fixing her sentence.

The Set and Props team leader begins by dividing the team into three. Really, he needs two sets but Seungcheol supposed getting someone to help him tidying the meeting room and cramped office space he usually in will be a good idea too. If he does not do that, who else would?

“Shinyoung, can you help me?” The Director called her as soon as she is about to leave the room. He sees the way her eyes resisting the urge to glare behind her as she walks towards him. Seungcheol catches the gaze thrown by his friend before he slowly heads out to follow the others.

Rose Quartz and Serenity Production studio seems to have a close relationship with quiet and still atmosphere. Shinyoung cannot help but to feel it as she is preoccupying herself by arranging the stack of papers scattered on the table. The lights barely show the room’s messiness yet even if it does, she rather not comment how on Earth does Seungcheol sits in the room to think or meeting with people. Maybe he uses the meeting room for those discussions.

“Oh wow, I never thought I’ll be seeing this here.” She hears him saying aloud, breaking the cold room with his friendly smile tossing over at her direction. He was digging through the filing cabinet before he shows her an old looking book. Standing closer to his figure, she finally realises it is a photo-album with a neat cursive decorating the front cover.

“This is the first and second gens’ album.” Seungcheol uttered. A hint of nostalgia laced between those articulated words before he opens the first page. He never got his hands on them before. Not even when he was the assistant for a couple of times. He often wonders what ever happened to those pictures taken at the end of every play he saw and joined.

All of them are there in one book. For starters, the two smile upon seeing the first director, the founder of Rose Quartz and his team series of photos. Shinyoung somewhat remembers her first play by the time Seungcheol flips to the next pages.

She was there in the Set and Props team before witnessing her picture occupying the Lighting teams. Placed at the back on most of the photographs and only in the eighth page she was seated in front with Yoongi on the same row as hers.

“There were three directors during the first generation.” Seungcheol suddenly spoke when he returns to the starting pages where a small team of ten with the same fashioned smile on their faces. “Seo Eunkwang, the founder of RQS.” Shinyoung read the name written underneath the picture.

“Changsub and Hyunsik came in later when the production stabled. I heard from Sungjae that Eunkwang and Changsub were never on the same page which was why when they stepped out of RQS, they opened different entertainment agencies.”

“Ah, yeah, I heard about that too. Silverlight Entertainment and the Blue Box Entertainment. I find it funny that both of them have colours for an agency name. I guess the feud wasn’t entirely true. Yoongi told me it was difficult to choose but he is more comfortable with Eunkwang so Hyunsik chose to go to BBE while he went to SE.”

Seungcheol bobs his head in agreement to Shinyoung’s lines. He instinctively stops at the fourth page where his eyes stare closely on two figures that catch his attention the most. Pointing on one before another, he cranes his head back slightly to get a glimpse of the girl’s face. As he expected, it is dull.

“What happened to you and Wonwoo back then?” He asked without putting any icing on top. He went straight ahead. It is only then she realises his intention of keeping her in the office room. Maybe he planned this before but truthfully it was not. It is unintentional yet the chance is there so he took it. “It’s nothing.”

In the picture currently stuck on the page was a visual of them standing among other scenic crew. They were standing on far sides of each other before Seungcheol notices Wonwoo vanishes in the next pictures. He assumes it is time to know their back story. Nonetheless, he does not pry deeply into the matter when Shinyoung chooses to not talk about it and leaves the room without a word.

The stuffiness blanketing her is proven to be more suffocating once her view switches from the cluttered office to the meeting area. Instantly, she can see the chairs are all placed on the long table. Most of it actually but the loud thump snaps her head to catch the sight of the young lad that is supposedly focused on his task in cleaning the room.

Wonwoo’s instinct tells him to turn his attention elsewhere, somewhere above ground since his eyes are stuck on the broom held in his hand. Doing so, their eyes cross its path, connecting to one another. None of them does not seem wanting to tear it away. And that is to be expected somehow.

In their heads, thoughts are swimming chaotically.

While one is searching for reason for the unwanted tension, the other is locating answers to questions.  It pops up easily in the back of her mind – the answer yet she appears reluctant to tell the story. Her heart races when he speaks.

“I assume you’re done with Cheol.” He continued with sweeping as he chooses to glance away from hers. Walking forward, Wonwoo simply follows her movement without any direct contact before he hears her talking after moment of pondering by the door. “I’m going to the restroom.”

“Be careful then. It’s night time after all.” He advised which makes Shinyoung delaying her plan seconds longer than she supposed to. Upon twisting the knob, her figure disappears behind the now closed door.

The boy proceeds on as if he did not encounter any human passing by his preoccupied self. His ears pick up a sound from the office which is where Seungcheol coming out from the minutes after Shinyoung heading out for quick breather.

“Did she leave?” He asked him since he is sure Wonwoo would at least catch the sight of her. Nodding his head briefly, “She leaves for the toilet. She’ll be back. She must be feeling claustrophobic to be in there for so long.” He stated as matter-of-factly before witnessing Seungcheol almost glaring hard on his face.

“What?”

“I’m just wondering what happened to you two, honestly. You look so calm talking about her but she is so hostile about you. Why is that?”

“If you’re expecting an answer then don’t. You’re not getting any. I’m as confused as you are.” Wonwoo halts and begins to return the chairs on its original spots. When he is done, Seungcheol places the photo-album and points on the current page he is on. It is the exact same photograph he had shown to Shinyoung.

“This is the last picture I see you with her. The next thing I knew you are not there. I assumed it might be because you’re focusing on writing scripts to be bothered but even the previous playwrights showed up in the album.” Seungcheol flips to the other pages as he said that. “Maybe I don’t like having photos taken.”

“Does it have to be anything about you and Shinyoung?”

The younger remains unspoken as his eyes trailing the older fellow’s movement, sitting on one of the chairs he conveniently placed. “Maybe.”

“Maybe?”

“Look,” Wonwoo started shortly, “As much as you want to know, I can’t provide you concrete answer. I’ve been trying to get it as much as you do.” His sigh extended more than he figured he would.

“The only way I can talk to her is like this, passive aggressively. It’s mainly because I’m confused. We weren’t exactly on the same page way before we joined RQS.” The Playwright revealed a fact unknown to the Director. “You know Shinyoung even way back?”

“And Junhui too. I stayed in contact with him the most while I was away.”

“What?” Seungcheol’s expression is easily read. His brows furrowed, lips leave a gap. It is his default puzzled face. “Is that why she is acting like that to you? Were you guys like…best friends or something?”

“Not really.” He got those words for an answer before adding, “It’s more like friend of a friend kind of thing. We crossed path often and hang out sometimes but not without Jun because Jun was afraid we would fight if we were placed together.”

“So something must have happened or you’re just missing a point. I guessed you two must have fought hard for Jun to constantly stick around.”

“I don’t remember what we fought about though. I was so overwhelmed during high school to care about it.”

Seungcheol purses his lips thoughtfully. For a reason, he feels like there is a way to mend what he sees as a broken relationship. He might have to seek help from Junhui but then something pops in his mind.

“Then when did Soonyoung come into the picture?”

“Soonyoung? I think it is during our freshmen days. He was looking for a place to stay and he didn’t hide that fact for sure. Since he sticks to her like glue, Jun felt a bit uncomfortable hanging out with Shinyoung so he is with me most of the time.” Wonwoo tilts his head sideway while trying to recall that piece of memory.

“It’s only in your late first year in university we bump onto each other.” Seungcheol said slowly upon collecting how he became friends with his two juniors. Though Wonwoo re-joined Rose Quartz later down the line, he realises he never catches Wonwoo and Shinyoung on the same team.

Was it luck or they are fated to unite when the third generation breezes in?

 MEET THE CREW