Home

Time Slip
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Pleasure doing business with you, Mr. Gan." 

Mark lend his hand out for the forty year old director to take after closing the deal he proposed. Mark did enjoy his lunch meeting with the director. He enjoyed talking with the latter and he learned one or two things about the latest trends in technologies.

Taking off his coat, Mark walked out of the restaurant and checked where the valet has parked his car. He felt a buzz on his phone and he sees a message from Yugyeom asking if he and Bambam can take Jinyoung out to see a movie, and Mark just replied saying the maknaes just better be sure to bring Jinyoung back in one piece. After receiving an okay sign from the younger, Mark kept his phone on his pants' pocket.

His car was parked by the valet right in front of him and he was about to get inside when his eyes caught on something.

Someone.

 

On the opposite side of the road, he sees Tae Won. What a wondrous sight, isn't it? Right in the middle of the day, he sees his nemesis smiling his capitalistic smile, which irks him so much. But of course Tae Won shouldn't know that or else he and his pitiful will be celebrating. And Mark doesn't want that.

He was really planning to get in his car and avoid ruining his day even more by staring longer at Tae Won, when he saw who his nemesis was opening the cardoor for. From the white car, out came Mr. Jong-gun, CEO of Fillip Ventures, their rival company. 

Now, what the hell is Tae Won up to? 

Mark doesn't have a good feeling about this. He knows Tae Won is an , but he didn't expect him to do something like this... snitching? Mark didn't know what to do, not sure if he'll outwardly call out on Tae Won for being a , or to take evidence to expose him... but... Mark sighed. Sure, he hates the guy, but Mark also knows himself as someone who doesn't ruin someone else's reputation or image.

But Mark has an idea. So standing upright, he closed the car's door and looked both ways before crossing the road. He made it in time before Tae Won and Mr. Jong-gun could enter the restaurant. Mark didn't say anything, and for sure Mr. Jong-gun doesn't know him either.. so only Tae Won would react upon seeing him. And expectedly, the older did. Quirking his brows and fixing his tie, he threw a side glance at Tae Won who has his own eyes widened, visibly surprised.

Once Mark got the reaction he wanted from the other, he started to walk head on towards the two, not forgetting to strike another triggering glance at Tae Won who almost can't do eye contact with him as he passed them both.

For now, he'll let this pass. But once this happens again, he'll make sure to record everything and be the one to expose Tae Won for the rat that he is.

 

Mark wasn't surprised when he didn't see Tae Won back in the office, for the rest of the day. Finishing his work, Mark headed to get back home where he's sure Jinyoung is waiting for him. He did text Yugyeom to drive Jinyoung back before dinner. He already let Jinyoung be with them for the whole of the afternoon, he better have Jinyoung with him for the evening.

He drove by a restaurant to order fried chicken for his and Jinyoung's dinner before heading straight back to his place. When he opened the unit's door, he saw Jinyoung sitting at the couch reading a book as usual. "Hi there." He smiled as he greeted the younger who only took notice of him when he did speak. Maybe Jinyoung was too engrossed with the book he's been reading. He knows it is about history again. 

"Hey." Jinyoung smiled and Mark just leaned in to kiss the top of his head. Yeah, Mark has been this really sweet and clingy boyfriend around Jinyoung and he knows when Jaebum sees him, he'll never let him live.

"I'll go and prepare these so we can eat and talk about how our day went." When Jinyoung nodded, Mark made his way to the kitchen to do just as what he said he would.

 

Through out the time they were eating, Jinyoung has been oddly quiet. Well, maybe not that odd, since Jinyoung has been starting to be quiet for a few days now. After Jaebum and Youngjae's wedding, when they drove back to Seoul, Jinyoung changed a bit. It's something Mark finds odd since, he expected things to turn out differently since they already got together finally, but since the wedding, Jinyoung seemed pre occupied. Everytime he asks the younger, Jinyoung would just say he is just tired, or thinking about something.

Now, looking at Jinyoung who is staring blankly at his bowl of rice, Mark could only sigh. Reaching for the younger's hand, Mark asked. "Hey, are you okay?"

And that's when Jinyoung seemed to snap back into reality, because now his eyes are directed at him. But he could still see how Jinyoung is buried in deep thoughts. "Y-yes. I'm okay. You were saying?"

Again, Mark just sighed. He has stopped talking a few minutes ago, but Jinyoung only realized it now? "I'm asking if you're okay."

Confused, Jinyoung answered. "Oh. I did say I am. I am okay, Mark. W-why wouldn't I be?" When his eyes averted his, Mark became sure that Jinyoung is indeed bothered by something.

He squeezed the younger's hand lightly before speaking. "I don't like it when you're hiding things from me, Jinyoung. It's obvious that you are not okay, and that you are bothered by something. I really wish you would let me know."

Mark counted the times Jinyoung heaved a sigh before the younger finally voiced out his thoughts. "I am thinking about. . . . . . home." Jinyoung started. "How my kingdom is, right now? How Ju Won is doing... is he still training with the guards... has he harrassed every guard just because they let me out of their sight? And. . . . . my father. His highness. . . . . I keep on thinking, and worrying about how he is." Settling those dark brown eyes on his, Jinyoung said, "I really miss them. . . . I miss my home."

Hearing all these, Mark was confused as to why he cannot find the right words to say. His mind wasn't able to make up something to say. Jinyoung just told him how much he misses home, and Mark knows he has to say something to comfort the other, but. . . . what is there to say? And. . . . could he say those words?

"I have talked to Eunuch Choi. . . ." this got his attention back. "Youngjae's grandfather... he finally recalled who I am. And he told me what happened after I... vanished. How Hanseong crumbled down to pieces, taking all of the kingdom's people down with it." Mark saw how Jinyoung's eyes were filled with worry and hurt as he said those words. "And I can't help but feel responsible. If I didn't vanish... if this didn't happen, me slipping through time, maybe... maybe my kingdom haven't fallen. My people wouldn't have suffered. His highness..." And that's when Jinyoung's voice broke.

Mark couldn't do anything but move nearer to Jinyoung and wrap his arm around his shoulder. He still can't say anything. Looking up at him, Jinyoung talked again. "Eunuch Choi said I should go back." Go back? "He said I need to go back." The thought alone frightened Mark in a way he never thought he would be. Going back... it means Jinyoung is leaving.

With a firmer voice, Jinyoung said once more. "I need to go back, Mark."

And that disabled Mark's ability to form words. Right there, Mark's voice became impeded, as thoughts of Jinyoung leaving him flooded his mind. Him, being left alone again. Not seeing Jinyoung again, for the rest of his life...

 

"I can't." Those were the only words which came out of his quivering lips.

"Mark..." 

But all Mark could do is shake his head as he inched away from Jinyoung. Mark heard everything. And the truth is, he understands everything. Jinyoung is not just an ordinary person like him. He is a crown prince of a kingdom which was bound to fall down, without him. He is a crown prince who is responsible for his kingdom's people, to keep them safe. He has a responsibility, a bigger responsibility than staying here, with him.

He understands every bit of it... the consequences of Jinyoung staying here. The more time he spends here, the nearer his kingdom gets to its downfall. Mark understands everything.

 

But he just can't bring himself to accept it.

He cannot.

As much as he would want to, he just can't. 

 

"Is there no other way?" Mark still asked despite knowing that there is no other way. Jinyoung needs to go back. That is clear as day. "Can you not just stay here... with me?"

He felt Jinyoung taking his hands. "Mark, I would love to... Of course I would love to stay here with you, but. . . . ."

"I'm sorry." Mark said, cutting Jinyoung's words. "I understand what you nee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter