The Crown Prince

Time Slip
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"What do you mean, you didn't see him?"

Eunuch Sung is almost harassing every maid and every guard outside the room of the crown prince.

The forty year old eunuch felt his blood rising to his head as he walked in and out of the crown prince's bedroom. But he can't see the young man in any corner of the four walled room.

 

Every morning, Eunuch Sung makes sure he is not late on waking up the crown prince. The King specifically told him to always watch the crown prince. His majesty knows very well how devious his son could be. And now, once again, the mischievous young prince has managed to outsmart him and the other maids and servants.

 

"He was supposed to be inside!" The Eunuch stated, almost frantically. "And you are supposed to make sure of that!" He yelled at the guards.

 

Poor Eunuch Sung. 

Prince Jinyoung chuckled as he held tight on the bed sheets which he has tied on one of the wooden railings on his bedroom's window.

He's done it once again!

 

It's true that he pities the poor eunuch who has served him well for the past twenty three years. But, what can he do? He's just a normal young man looking for something exciting.

And a life spent, caged inside the towering walls of this palace is not his definition of exciting.

 

"PRINCE JINYOUNG!!!"

 

The Eunuch's voice echoed in the whole of Donggung. 

Jinyoung has to try real hard to hold in his laughter. He could imagine the red face of the poor eunuch. 

He'll make it up to him, later. For now, he's got to move. Or else waking up too early for his usual waking time would go to waste.

 

Jinyoung held on tight while reaching his foot to the last step. But his foot missed, causing him to lose his balance and let go of his hold. He knew what will happen next so he just shut his eyes tight and waited for his to hit the hard ground.

 

...but he didn't feel the pain he was expecting. Instead, he felt a pair of arms which has caught him from falling.

Opening his eyes, Jinyoung saw a pair of squinty dark brown eyes. These eyes which are now glaring at him.

 

"This is the part where I thank you, my dear friend for saving my life." Jinyoung said while smiling his hopefully charming smile.

But as soon as he was dropped on the ground carelessly, he figured his charm didn't work.

"Maybe I should've let you fall and break your bones." The older hissed at him. "Maybe only then will you stop running away from Eunuch Sung."

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Ju Won is still scolding him. All Jinyoung could do was nod while pouting at the same time.

Ju Won is one of the palace's royal guards. But he is also his bestfriend. He is the person who Jinyoung could trust his life to. Knowing he'll protect him in anyway he can. 

Through the years, Ju Won didn't leave his side. Although he has been a pain in the neck, and although often times they fight over Jinyoung's hard headedness, Ju Won didn't leave him. That's enough reason for Jinyoung to treasure him.

 

"I already apologized." Jinyoung tried once again.

"But would that change anything?" Ju Won answered back immediately. His voice is impassive and cold.

 

They are walking their way back to Donggung. And Ju Won is still mad.

"Alright. I promise-"

But Ju Won cut him off and is now facing him. "Don't promise things which you can't keep. You'll just disappoint the people around you."

Jinyoung is about to answer back when he saw Ju Won bowing on someone. When he looked, he saw his father. Instinctively, he also bowed to his majesty.

 

"Your highness." Ju Won greeted, while Jinyoung is still bowing.

Silently, he's just waiting for Ju Won to finally tell on him to the King. And for sure he'll get scolded. 

"My son, where have you been this early in the morning?"

Jinyoung felt his heart racing. He's nervous, alright. But then Ju Won beat him to speaking.

"We went out for an early morning walk, your highness."

Brows furrowed, Jinyoung turned to Ju Won who his father is smiling at. 

"Well, that's good to hear." The King turned towards him. "Now you should go back to Donggung. You don't want to be late in your class."

"Yes, your highness." Jinyoung bowed once again, until the king walked past them.

 

Now, he's grinning at his best friend. All along he thought because he's mad at him, Ju Won would tell on him. But, to his surprise, Ju Won is still on his side. He feels so happy knowing that.

"Admit it or not, I know you love me."

Ju Won then smacked him on the head. "Ouch!" That hurt! But Ju Won doesn't care, and just walked ahead of him.

He quickly followed with his hand still on his head. Jinyoung hissed.

Yes, that's right. Only Ju Won, his best friend could do that to him - the crown prince of Hanseong, Kingdom of Joseon.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Jinyoung yawned once again as he lazily his brush on the paper scroll.

 

It's another day at Donggung - the crown prince's palace. It's another boring day. Because every single day in Donggung is boring.

Eunuch Choi is teaching him how to write Hyangga an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter