Anger and hurt

Night shift

"Dr Cho! Let me go"

"Not until you call me Kyuhyun"

"Kyuhyun...."

"Ok that's better. Let's go"

"You are ready? I thought you were sleeping!" Sungmin just realised that Kyuhyun was already in shirt and pants and not in surgery attire. 

"I woke up earlier to have a quick shower and change. I just pretended to sleep so that you can wake me up hahaha".

"You trick me!" Sungmin punched Kyuhyun playfully. Kyuhyun laughed and dodged the punches and they ended up laughing. Kyuhyun was happy that he could break some ice and preferred Sungmin to be casual with him instead of always respecting him.

"Let's go. My car is at the basement".

"Oh you drive?"

"Hmmhmm. That's the fastest way to get to the hospital in case of emergencies"

"Oh yes, I forgot that you might be call for emergencies". 

Luckily the lift from 7th floor went all the way down to the basement carpark for staff, so nobody saw them walking together.

Kyuhyun walked to his white Mercedes car and gestured to Sungmin to get in.

"Wow, nice car!" Sungmin said as it was the first time he ride in a Mercedes car.

"Thanks, I like comfortable cars and this Mercedes-Benz CLS are one of those. Do you drive?" Kyuhyun asked while starting his car. 

"Yes, when I still have Sen"

"Sen?"

"Heehee, it was my pink beetle. I call her Sen. It was old and always breakdown, so I sold her away last year. Now I just go around by bus and subway". 

The local transportation network in Daejeon is smaller than Seoul and Busan's networks; however, it still has its own subway line and loads of buses to get anyone from A to Z. In Daejeon, you can buy a single journey ticket, or use a transportation card to take the bus, subway or taxis or can even pay with cash  In other words, it's flexible and easy eventhough Daejeon is not a mega city like Seoul.

"Do you stay far from Sapphire Hospital?" Kyuhyun asked Sungmin while driving. 

"My apartment is near Hannam Bridge. I like it there, not too noisy and I have direct bus to the hospital. I can take the subway too, but need to walk because the nearest station is Seodaejeon Negeori". 

"Oh yes, that's far. Mmmm, I can fetch you if I have night duty. I stay at Tanbang-Dong" Kyuhyun glance at Sungmin and smile. 

"You don't have to Dr, err I mean Kyuhyun. I'm used to go alone" 

"Why do you keep on rejecting me?" 

"I'm not rejecting. I just didn't want to trouble anyone" Sungmin said honestly. Indeed, Sungmin is very down to earth and very independent person. He is happy and contented in his life and wouldn't ask for more even if God feel like giving him extra things. 

Kyuhyun didn't argue to that. He beginning to understand and respect Sungmin for sticking to his own principles. He likes that kind of person who don't judge people and live a happy life. 

Kyuhyun drove to Homeplus, one of Daejeon's largest supermarket chain after Lotte. He preferred Homeplus because he could get everything under one roof. 

They had breakfast in the cafe in the corner of Homeplus, thereafter stepped into the main supermarket after finishing their coffees which Kyuhyun said not as good as Sungmin's. 

"Sungmin, I'm going to get a coffee mug over there, I meet you at the vegetables section?" 

"Hmm, meet me at the canned food and pasta section instead. I might take sometime there to choose pasta sauce" 

"Alright, see you" Kyuhyun took a basket and pass it to Sungmin. 

Sungmin was trying to get a new bottle of Preggo Carbonara Mushroom pasta sauce from the top most shelf when Kyuhyun turned into the pasta row. He smile because Sungmin was determine to  reach that top shelf even to the extend of climbing the small latch above the floor. However he missed landing, and staggered backwards, but luckily Kyuhyun reached him just in time, so Sungmin 'landed' backwards onto a comfortable chest instead of all the way onto the hard floor. 

"I've been saying, we must stop meeting like this..." Kyuhyun chuckled teasingly. He held Sungmin with his right hand as his left hand was still holding the mugs. 

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry" Sungmin apologised. "But thank you for being here, else I would be on the floor!" Sungmin shook his head, still couldn't believed that he nearly fell backwards to the floor. 

"Anyway, looked at these mugs, aren't they cute?" 

"Why two mugs? I thought you buying for yourself only?" 

"One for me and one for you" Kyuhyun showed Sungmin both designed. One was "Honey, you are my other half" and the other mug was "Gorgeous, you are my other half" and each mug has half of the full heartshaped, and if they were put side by side with the holder at the other end, the heartshaped became complete. 

"But I already has a mug" 

"Change to this" Kyuhyun put both mugs in their basket. He carried the basket and smile at Sungmin. 

Sungmin heart skipped a few beats. Kyuhyun bought two mugs to complete a heart. So, was Kyuhyun serious about them being boyfriends? Seemed that he was, and wanted to start a relationship. But was Sungmin ready to be in a relationship? Sungmin didn't want to think too far. He was just glad that Kyuhyun was nice to him and accept their friendship. 

Kyuhyun sent Sungmin to his apartment and helped him to carry their groceries up to his unit. Sungmin's unit was cosy and neat, not very luxurious but quite modern with all the appliances that he need. He even has an oven and mixer. 

"You bake too?" Kyuhyun asked. He saw a similar mixer belonging to his mum in his parent's home. 

"Yeah I bake too. But normally if I am off on weekends. I will let you try when I did some baking" Sungmin said while keeping the groceries in his cupboard and fridge. 

"Wow, ok, I can't wait to taste them!!" Kyuhyun said, while taking out the mugs. "This is your mug" and passed him the one with the word 'Honey'. "You are my honey" Kyuhyun smile teasingly. 

"Kyuhyun, why are you doing this? Are you serious about us bring boyfriends or you are just joking?" Sungmin finally has the courage to ask. 

"I'm serious" Kyuhyun walked towards Sungmin. He held Sungmin's shoulders and turned him to face him. "Be my boyfriend, Sungmin? Officially and I'm not joking" 

"Kyuhyun, I am just a nurse. What will other doctors say if they got to know? And its same gender relationship. Don't you care about your reputation? " 

"I don't care. I like men. And I like you" 

"But...." 

"You don't like me?" 

"I do. I like you a lot and care about you" Sungmin admitted. 

Kyuhyun smile and breath a sigh of relief. Sungmin likes him too and care about him. He felt like shouting aloud due to happiness. "So, we are officially boyfriends!!!" 

"As I said previously, we keep it low. And in the hospital and working level, I will still call you Dr Cho"

"Okay, unless when we are alone". 
Kyuhyun lifted Sungmin's chin questioningly and Sungmin nodded. He then kissed Sungmin's lips. 

Kyuhyun's lips were soft and full. It was lovely and Sungmin felt lost in that kiss. He never been kissed before, and somehow his own lips reciprocated automatically, which he himself was surprised. 

Kyuhyun hugged him and smile happily. This was a good start and he would not push Sungmin too hard. He plan to go by the flow and wouldn't want Sungmin to be uncomfortable being with him. This was the first time he fall hard for a person, which he himself couldn't comprehend why he kept pursuing Sungmin. Was he finally falling in love? He needed to explore his feelings more but for now, he was happy and contented that Sungmin likes him too. 

The days that followed were one of the most beautiful days in Sungmin's life. Kyuhyun was always very charming and would insist to pick him up from his home  if their schedule clashed. They would eat together and would always hugged and kiss when they separated to go to respective work area. And they were being very discreet that even Ryeowook didn't suspect anything other than thinking that the boyfriend thingy was just a joke between the two of them. 

One evening when Sungmin just arrived for his shift, another nurse, Shindong came running to his station. 

"Sungmin, can you replace me in the surgery room 4? I have slight runny nose and the surgeon asked me to get someone to replace me quickly as the surgery has started" and Shindong sneezed after his last sentence. 

"Oh my goodness, you are catching a cold. Sure I can replace you, you mean now?? But I need to know what surgery is that so that I know how to assist the surgeon" Sungmin said while walking to the changing room to change to surgical attire. 

Shindong sneezed again and said "Sungmin I better go and see a doctor. It's room 4, and the surgeon is Dr Cho" and rushed off. 

"Yeah but what surgery is that?" Sungmin stepped out of the changing room and was surprised that Shindong was gone! 

"Sunny, take care of the nurse station. I need to replace Shindong to assist in surgery room 4" Sungmin said while running to room 4.

"Ok Oppa". 

" I forgot to ask Sunny if she knows what surgery is that" Sungmin cursed himself while washing his hand outside surgery room 4. The correct procedure was the assisting nurses need to know what surgery was going on so that they could prepare and pickup the correct surgical tools for the surgeon. 

Sungmin entered Room 4 main surgery section and quickly walked to the vacant assisting surgeon's position. 

"What took you so long?!" Kyuhyun raised his voice without looking up. 

"Sorry Dr Cho, I just arrived and was asked to replace Shindong" Sungmin looked at the surgery area to try to recognise which part of the patient's body was opened up. It seemed to be the side of the skull. 

"Forceps" Kyuhyun was waiting for the instrument. Sungmin passed him the smooth forcep. 

"What is this for??? Don't you know I need toothed forcep for mastoid surgery???" Kyuhyun snapped angrily. 

The mastoid space connects directly with the middle ear space. Therefore, mastoid surgery is frequently necessary in conjunction with tympanoplasty to adequately treat the existing problem. The mastoidectomy is the procedure to clean out the mastoid. This is generally done through an incision behind the outer ear.

Sungmin quickly pass the toothed forcep and apologise to Kyuhyun. By now, Kyuhyun has realised that the assisting nurse was Sungmin. He felt bad for shouting but he needed to speed up the surgery so he focus back on the surgery which was already delayed after he asked Shindong to go. 

Sungmin was taken aback by Kyuhyun's anger and his heart shrinked and he felt like crying. Two other nurses who were helping with the respiratory and blood pressure, looked up hearing Kyuhyun's angry voice. 

It dawn on Kyuhyun that he wasn't being fair because Sungmin was asked to replace Shindong at the last minute and probably didn't know what the surgery was all about. 

He completed the surgery and sewed back the area neatly. Another nurse took over to bandaged the surgery area and around the skull. 

Sungmin brought the tray of equipments out and quickly put them in the sterilisation machine and walked away. He didn't want to bumped into Kyuhyun or meet him. He just felt sad that he was treated unfairly. He washed his hands and face in his pantry, and changed back to his nurse uniform. He then took over Sunny to check on the patients. 

Kyuhyun was looking for Sungmin to apologise to him for snapping unfairly at him. But Sungmin was no longer outside the surgery room. After washing his hands, he crossed over to the lift lobby and walked towards the nurse station, but only Sunny was there. 

"Sunny-ssi, where is Sungmin?" 

"Oh Dr Cho, he went to check on the patients. Do you need to talk to him? I go and find him". 

"Ermm, it's ok, I'll go and change and I'll come back later" Kyuhyun said while walking away. 

He texted Sungmin that he was sorry and asked Sungmin to meet him in his room. But Sungmin never replied and never came to his room even after he waited for an hour. 

Kyuhyun was supposed to be off duty already. Sighing, he blamed himself for lashing at Sungmin. He knew Sungmin must be hurt and didn't want to see him. 

He needed to settle Sungmin unhappiness before he could sleep tonight, so he went back to Sungmin's nurse station. Sungmin was standing outside the station writing something, so Kyuhyun went to him and grabbed his hand and pull him along to follow him into the changing room. 

"Dr Cho, let me go" 

"Not until you forgive me and talk to me" Kyuhyun said and after both of them were inside, he locked the changing room door. 

Sungmin turned around to escape from the room but was held back by Kyuhyun. 

"Sungmin..... " 

"Dr Cho, I'm working.." 

Kyuhyun pulled him into a hug and said "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I didn't meant to lash out at you. I was annoyed at Shindong and shouldn't vent my anger on you" 

Sungmin sobbed in Kyuhyun's arm. He was feeling down and Kyuhyun's apology made him wanting to cry. He couldn't stop his sobbing and finally he just cried in Kyuhyun's chest. 

Kyuhyun tightened his hold and soothed Sungmin's hair. He felt bad that Sungmin felt this sad and uttered his apologies again. 

In between sobbing, Sungmin said "Dr Cho, I think we should just stay as nurse-doctor working relationship. Let's not continue to be boyfriends..." 

​​​​​