Resignation

Night shift

 

I've decided to send in my resignation letter, Kyu. Submitted to HR. Done deal!" and Sungmin added a smiley emoticon and sent the message to Kyuhyun. He was having a break during his night shift, so he quickly type and sent the letter.

Kyuhyun replied "Ok great! Don't forget to eat your supper. I see you in the morning before your shift ends. Love you".

Sungmin smile. Kyuhyun's calls and  messages still caused him to miss a heartbeat and it could make him smile all day. He took his supper to join Ryeowook in the pantry to eat.

"Hyung, I forgot to tell you, there was a message from HR, in our eNote. You are to see Mrs Song at 9am in Meeting Room 1"

"Oh really? But I just tender...."

Ryeowook got choked and cut-in "What? I thought you said he will only tender end of the month?"

Sungmin passed him a glass of water "Yeah, but I guess might as well send it now, at least they have ample time to plan for staff strength. Of course I will recommend that you become the team leader. And I intend to go back to Ilsan to visit my family first"

Ryeowook drank some water "Thanks hyung for your trust in me. But I'm still sad that I won't be able to see you anymore" Ryeowook looked down sadly. "But why did HR wants to see you? Unless...they want to promote you!!!!!"

"Nonsense.." Sungmin shook his head. "I am baffled too. I let you know after I met them. Hmmm, 9am, and we finish our shift at 7am, so that means I can go for breakfast with Dr Cho..." Sungmin raised his eyebrows and smile happily. He sent a message to Kyuhyun to inform him to meet him at the cafeteria instead. 

Kyuhyun was baffled too as to why their HR wanted to see Sungmin. He just tendered last night, it could not be that they had processed it already. He offered to go with Sungmin as he felt that something bad might happened, but Sungmin told him better not. Furthermore, Kyuhyun has to be ready for a surgery at 10am. 

When Sungmin walked in to the meeting room at Room 1, he was surprised that other than Mrs Song, who was the Head of HR, the Dean and Dr Park were there too! "What's going on??" Sungmin was asking himself. He greeted them and bowed respectfully. 

Mrs Song started "I'm sorry Sungmin-ssi, you have to stay behind after your shift. This meeting was requested by Dr Park, so I let Dr Park take the lead" she gestured Dr Park to say what he wanted to say. Earlier, she has informed Dr Park that Sungmin has done nothing wrong, and in fact he was an examplary head of nurse and very dedicated to his job. And as Head of HR, she wouldn't want to interfere with the doctors issues. 

Dr Park showed his annoyance at Mrs Song as he actually did not want to be the bad person. He cleared his throat and said "Sungmin-ssi, let me go straight to the point. I think you are in a relationship with Dr Cho, and you have poison his mind to decline the promotion that was offered to him" 

Sungmin remained calm and said "My apologies, Dr Park, I don't understand in what way did you mean that I have poison Dr Cho's mind?" 

"Did you not ask him not to accept the promotion?" 

"No, I did not do such a thing. Whatever Dr Cho decide, it is his own decision" 

"Are you trying to deny that you are in a relationship with him?" 

"What kind of relationship are you referring to?" 

"You know what I mean but yet you are trying to turn around my question!" Dr Park's voice was getting louder. 

"Dr Park, I really don't understand your question. We are good friends, and whenever Dr Cho is on night shift, we eat dinner together. Is that wrong? I mean, doctors and non-doctors are not allowed to eat together?" Sungmin turned to Mrs Song "Ma'am, we nurses are not allowed to mingle with the doctors? Is it our hospital policy? I'm sorry if I am not aware of it". 

Mrs Song said "No, there are no such policy". 

"Sungmin-ssi! I know you are in a relationship with him! How else would you give an excuse when you took leave at the same time as him? Isn't that because you wanted to spend time with him??" 

"Dr Park, you were not aware that Dr Cho was in Paris for an exchange program?" 

"Of course I'm aware!" Dr Park raised his voice. The Dean has to calm him down. 

"If you checked my annual leave record, I did not apply leave at the same time when Dr Cho left Daejeon. My annual leave was later. And I applied leave to visit my sick grandmother in Ilsan. I can give you my brother's number to verify whether I was at Ilsan when my grandmother was sick" Sungmin was practically saying the truth because he did went back to visit his grandmother, but that was his previous annual leave. 

The Dean looked at Dr Park with annoyance. Dr Park has so far did not manage to prove anything for his allegation. 

"I don't think that you are telling the truth, Sungmin-ssi" Dr Park said angrily. 

"Mrs Song, do staff need to declare why we apply for annual leave?" Sungmin asked Mrs Song politely. 

"No, there is no need to declare" Mrs Song said smiling slightly. Sungmin has been a good staff and she was the one who recommended and approved him to be promoted to  Head of Nurses. 

"Dr Park, I am not sure what to answer you. My annual leave is personal and what I did during my leave is also personal. But I have told you what I did, despite it being personal, which was visiting my sick grandmother in Ilsan. But I still don't get it, in what way is my annual leave got to do with Dr Cho not accepting his promotion? Sorry, I don't get the connection here ". 

Both Mrs Song and the Dean looked at Dr Park. Dr Park became agitated. 

"Sungmin-ssi, admit it that you are gay and in a relationship with Dr Cho!" 

"Dr Park, how I choose my path, is personal. It is the same as religion. How you chose your religion, it's entirely personal and up to you. May I know why is it an issue to you?" Sungmin was amazed at his own calmness. 

"Because of you, Dr Cho decline the promotion!!" 

"Did Dr Cho said that he decline it because of me?" 

Dr Park was silence. He got no proof whatsoever that Kyuhyun turned down the promotion because of Sungmin. Kyuhyun only said that he is resigning because he has received a job offer as a permanent doctor in Saint Louis Hospital. 

"Dr Park, I think I've heard enough. You are wasting my time" the Dean said angrily at Dr Park. He turned to Sungmin "Sungmin-ssi, I am sorry that Dr Park made those accusations towards you. You may go now". 

"Thank you, Dr Li" Sungmin got up and bowed respectfully at him and at Mrs Song. 

The minute he walked out and  closed the door, he felt his legs turned jelly. He walked slowly to the Gents to take a breather. He looked at his watch, it was past 10am, surely Kyuhyun was already in the operation theatre. He shouldn't disturbed him. He washed his face and took some deep breaths. He left the hospital and walked quickly to the metro station.

Once he reached his shared home with Kyuhyun, he locked the door and slide down to the floor, and started crying. He just couldn't control his emotion! Why is Dr Park always trying to cause trouble between him and Kyuhyun? What did he do to him that make Dr Park hated him? Slowly, he dragged himself to their bedroom and lie down, still sobbing. He was mentally tired and he didn't even bother to change his clothes. He fell asleep and did not hear that his phone has been ringing non-stop. 

After his surgery, Kyuhyun tried to contact his boyfriend. He was worried something bad must have happened during the HR meeting. Earlier before the surgery, he accidentally got to know that Dr Park and the Dean has a meeting with HR and a nurse when he heard 2 nurses were talking about it. The 2 nurses were baffled that Dr Park had requested to postpone another surgery with the reason that he and the Dean have an urgent meeting, and so has requested the two nurses to arrange to book another slot for the operating theatre availability. 

After his fifth call, Kyuhyun stopped calling. "Maybe he is sleeping" Kyuhyun thought. He type a message "Min, once you are up, can you call me?" and click sent. 

When Sungmin still didn't call 4 hours later, Kyuhyun became more worried. He packed up his bag and told a nurse that he would go off early to attend to something urgent. 

"Sungmin?" Kyuhyun called him the minute he stepped inside his home. He saw Sungmin's bag on the floor next to the door. He picked it up and walked quickly to his bedroom. Sungmin was lying down, sleeping, still in his working clothes and Kyuhyun noticed that his eyes were swollen. His heart dropped when he saw his boyfriend in this stage. "What did Dr Park do now?" he asked himself, shaking his head. 

Luckily Sungmin is off duty that night, so Kyuhyun adjusted him properly in bed, changed his clothing, and covered him with blanket. He ordered pizza and put their laundry in the washing machine. 

When the pizza arrived, Kyuhyun quietly try to wake his boyfriend up. Sitting on the bed, Kyuhyun said gently "Min, wake up. I've ordered pizza. I know you didn't eat anything everysince you came back" and he shook him gently. 

When Sungmin opened his eyes, he looked at Kyuhyun confusely. Then, he must have recalled what had happened, he immediately raised his body up and hugged Kyuhyun. 

Sobbing, he said "Kyu....." 

Kyuhyun hugged him tighter "Tell me what happened? What did Dr Park do to make you this upset?.. "

"Let's fly to Paris as soon as possible..." Sungmin said to a confused Kyuhyun...