Boyfriend

Night shift

Sungmin came back to the nurse station smiling, because he managed to get the patient, Kim Heechul, to take his medications.

"Boss, your boyfriend called just now" Ryeowook said with an annoyed voice. "You have boyfriend and you never even tell me? I thought we are close friends outside work" Ryeowook grumbled. 

Confused, Sungmin ask "What are you talking about?"

"Go see your phone"

Sungmin walked to his desk and unplugged his charger. He has 2 missed calls and 1 message. And missed calls were from 'Boyfriend'. "Who is Boyfriend?" Sungmin asked himself. He then checked his message.

"Just got confirmation that I'll be on night duty tomorrow night, so if you can cook extra, I'll be most grateful" and the sender is 'Boyfriend'.

"On night duty tomorrow? Cook extra?" Sungmin was still blur. Then it dawn on him who is 'Boyfriend'! "Ohhh, it's Dr Cho!" he chuckled. "No wonder I couldn't find his contact under his name!"

"I knew it!!" Ryeowook turned back to his laptop. 

"Dr Cho must be just joking, Wook. How could I ever be his boyfriend" Sungmin said and turn back to his phone and typed his reply "For a moment I thought who is Boyfriend!" and sent to Kyuhyun.

He got a reply with 3 laughing faces.

"Can't I be?" was Kyuhyun's message next, after the laughing faces.

Sungmin didn't know what to reply. Of course he likes Dr Cho. But he was only a nurse. How could he compete with doctors and surgeons who might also like Dr Cho? Furthermore, like what he told Ryeowook, maybe Dr Cho was only joking. Anyway, he would cook extra as promised and put the food on his table in his room tomorrow night.

The next night, Sungmin reached his nurse station an hour before his shift started, and took out his phone to message Kyuhyun about the food. 

"Sungmin oppa, you are here already" the ever smiling nurse, Sunny, said to him. "By the way oppa, there's an emergency surgery going on now at Operation theatre room 3". 

"Oh really, something happened?" 

"I heard there was an accident, and the lady passenger suffered brain haemorrhage and Dr Park arranged for emergency surgery. But poor Dr Cho, he was supposed to be off in the morning but was call back to treat the accident victims and then to perform the surgery on the brain haemorrhage patient. And they are still in the surgery room"

"Ohh" Sungmin said and suddenly became worried for Kyuhyun. That means Kyuhyun hasn't slept for 48 hours. He must be very tired, poor him. "Hmm, I actually cook extra food, so I will give it to Dr Cho since he hasn't eat anything. You look after the station while I go up to put this in his room?" 

"Sure oppa. So nice of you"

Sungmin took out the food container and walked to the lift. He saw the operation room light was still on, but the red light indicating surgery in progress is now off. "Good, that means Dr Cho should be out soon. I just put this on his desk so that he can eat it later" Sungmin said to himself while stepping into the lift. 

Dr Cho's room wasn't lock. Sungmin went in quietly and walked to Dr Cho's table. He saw his white coat was on the floor, probably had fallen off from the chair when Dr Cho hurriedly change to the surgery attire. He picked it up and look for a hanger and hang it on the coat pole. He put a tissue on the table before placing the food container on it.

While walking to the lift, Sungmin texted Kyuhyun to tell him about the food. He clicked sent when the lift door opened and stepped inside without looking up. Then "ooofffff... I'm sorry!" he had walked into somebody's body! 

That person caught hold of him and moved both of them outside so that the lift could close "We must stop meeting like this, Sungmin-ssi" the person said with cheekiness in his voice. 

"Dr Cho! I was texting you about the food. Sorry I wasn't looking" Sungmin looked up. He was suddenly concerned how tired Dr Cho looked. 

"Oh thank you, Sungmin-ssi" Kyuhyun said while yawning. "Can I trouble you to make me coffee? But I'm sorry I haven't buy a mug". 

"It's ok, I know you have been working. You look so tired. You go and eat first and I will bring up the coffee".

Happy that Sungmin was concerned about him, Kyuhyun said "Thank you. Why don't you bring your food too, then we can eat together" he said with a tired smile. 

"Ok I will, you go in first to take a rest and start eating" Sungmin said while pushing him slightly so that he start moving. He could see how tired Dr Cho was and he hope that he really got some time to rest after his meal. 

"Ok ok see you soon Sungmin-ssi" 

The lift door open and Sungmin went in. Sunny's shift would end at midnight so it should be ok for him to eat with Dr Cho in his room since Sunny would take care of the nurse station. 

He informed Sunny about this and made 2 mugs of coffee and took his food as well. But when he entered Kyuhyun's room, he wasn't eating, he was sprawled on his bed! 

"Poor Dr Cho, he must be so tired. But he needs to eat" Sungmin said while putting the coffees and his food on the table. He carefully put aside some files neatly on one side so that they have space to eat. 

"Dr Cho, you should eat first. I know you haven't eat anything" he shook Kyuhyun slowly to wake him up. 

Kyuhyun opened his eyes and attempted to sit up. "Sorry, I am so tired, I just wanted to lie down but must have fallen asleep" he held Sungmin's hand so that he could stand up. Sungmin carefully pull him up but when Dr Cho stood up, Sungmin was pulled into a hug instead. "Stay here for a second. I just need to recharge" Kyuhyun said holding Sungmin close to him. 

Sungmin understood that he needed to provide comfort and strength to Dr Cho. Though he knew it wasn't appropriate if somebody walked in, he stayed in Kyuhyun's arms for a while, coz he felt nice and gave him that happy feeling. He then helped Dr Cho to walk to wash his hand and to the table. 

"Thanks" Kyuhyun said while sitting down, and sipped the coffee. 

"I heard about the urgent surgery. How was it, did it went well?" Sungmin said while opening Kyuhyun's food container and passed him a pair of chopsticks. 

"Yeah, finally we managed to clear all the bleeding in her brain and she responded positively. It was tiring because the bleeding oozing out continously from the internal carotid arteries and at first glance, I really thought we would loose her. But we need to try to save her so we carried on. I was glad we didn't give up. Next test is to check whether there would be any brain damaged so I left the operating theatre for Dr Park to do some testing".

"I'm sure it was you who didn't want to give up and not the rest" Sungmin said knowingly. 

Kyuhyun looked up "You are right, how did you know?" 

"That's why you are one of the best" 

"Sungmin-ssi... " 

"Dr Cho, just call me Sungmin" 

"Then just call me Kyuhyun" 

"I can't do that, you are a doctor and top surgeon. We are required to address doctors appropriately in this hospital" 

"Then call me Kyuhyun when we are together. And you didn't reply me on my question"  Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin, smiling. 

"Huhh, which question?" 

"Can't I be your boyfriend" 

"You mean you expected me to reply that?" 

"Of course" he paused his eating and purposely put his hand on his chin. 

"Dr Cho..." 

"Kyuhyun" 

"Kyu... hyun... ermmmm you are a top surgeon and I'm only a nurse. There are other doctors who might be interested in you" 

"But I'm not interested in them" 

"I...." 

"You have somebody else...?" 

"No, but..." 

"So, can I be your boyfriend?" 

"I... I'm just a nurse..." 

"What's wrong with that?" 

"I mean, people will talk... and might look down on you..." 

"I don't care" 

"Ok, we keep it low and only between you and me. Believe me, it's for your reputation in this hospital and in the industry as a whole" 

"I still don't care. But, ok, we'll keep it low for now. Are you off tomorrow after your shift?" 

"Yes.." 

"I'm going to catch some sleep after I check with Dr Park on his test for brain damage. So you wake me up so that we can go for breakfast and then do some grocery shopping. I pay for the groceries since you cook for me" 

"Are you sure you can catch some sleep? What if Dr Park ask you to help me with further testing. You will end up not sleeping for more than 48 hours" Sungmin looked at him with concern and worry. 

Kyuhyun smile "So you do care for me". 

"I will be worried even if it was Ryeowook" 

"I will catch some sleep, don't worry. So you will wake me up?" 

"Okayyy" Sungmin said smiling, and got up to clear their emptied containers. 

"I love the food, Sungmin. Thank you, and it's very tasty" Kyuhyun said while finishing up his coffee. 

"You are welcome. Promise me you will catch some sleep" Sungmin put their containers in a plastic bags and took their mugs. He would wash them in his pantry. 

"I promise, my dear boyfriend" Kyuhyun pinched Sungmin's nose and went to the wash basin to brush his teeth. Sungmin left the room to go back to his own floor. 

Sungmin shift ended at 7am the next morning, and after he logged off from his laptop and ensure that all the patients had been given their breakfast and morning medicines, he took his bag and left to go up to Dr Cho's room to wake him up. 

The room was quiet when he entered and a Sungmin smile when he saw that Kyuhyun was sleeping, face up. He was glad that Kyuhyun managed to catch some sleep. He put down his bag and walked to the bed. 

"Dr Cho, wake up. It's 7.30am and you are off duty" Sungmin gently shook Kyuhyun. "Dr Cho...." 

Suddenly he was pulled down and crushed against Kyuhyun's chest. 

"Told you to call me Kyuhyun..." and Kyuhyun rolled over so that Sungmin landed safely next to him. 

​​​​​