Breathless

Night shift

"What the....???" Kyuhyun was shocked that suddenly a soft load was pressing him and a face was above him. 

Scrambling off the doctor, Sungmin rolled off to the other side of the bed and climbed hurriedly down from the bed. And he quickly apologised! 

 "I'm... I'm.. sorry doctor. I lost my balance and fall on you. I'm so sorry" Sungmin said, looking down. 

Kyuhyun wanted to laugh but he control it. Instead he switched on the light and Sungmin looked up with surprise that the room was suddenly very bright. Ohhh, there was a switch on the wall by the bedside, he thought. And ohhh, Dr Cho was not old at all. In fact, he was so young and errr, very handsome, even in his sleepy state. 

"Thank you for waking me up. You are...?" 

"I'm staff nurse Lee Sungmin. And I will also be there to help you during the surgery later" Sungmin said, and then added "I'm really sorry about just now". 

"Don't worry about it" Kyuhyun got up and walked to his wash basin and washed his face. He then quickly brushed his teeth and wipe his face with a towel. 

Sungmin was contemplating to leave the room so that Dr Cho could get ready. "Ermm, I see you later, Dr Cho". And he started moving backwards towards the door. 

But he hit the table instead. The edge of the table to be precise. And it was so painful!! "Ouch!!" he rubbed the back of his thigh. 

"Are you ok?" Kyuhyun turned his head and asked with concern. 

"Yeeahh, thank you. See you later doctor" Sungmin practically greeted his teeth while talking because of the sharp table edge. 

"Errr wait, can you get me a cup of coffee? Black without sugar?" 

"Oh sure doctor. But the coffee machine is at Level 4, my station level. Do you want me to bring it up here? Or I bring it direct to the surgery room rest area?" 

"Hmm, just leave it on your station, I'll drop by later on the way to the surgery room. Thanks" Kyuhyun said while removing his shirt. 

Ohmygod, he was undressing right in front of me, Sungmin thought and quickly turn to leave the room! 

In the lift, he tried to recall Kyuhyun's preference for coffee. "Oh yes, black without sugar" he remembered.  "Isn't it bitter?" Sungmin talked to himself. He preceeded to the pantry at his floor and started making the coffee. As he approached his station where Ryeowook was busy typing something in a laptop, he saw Kyuhyun walking there too. 

"Is my coffee ready?" 

"Here it is, Doctor Cho" Sungmin said but he sensed that Kyuhyun was looking at him instead of taking the coffee. He looked up thinking that Kyuhyun might want to ask something. And Kyuhyun smile! Ohmygod it was the most dazzling smile in the entire universe! And Kyuhyun hand was reaching out for something on his face....or was it near his face... or his head..? 

"You have something on your hair" Kyuhyun reached out and pull it off Sungmin's hair gently. "Ohhh, bits of paper. It must be from my bed. I tear some papers just now and maybe bits of pieces were still there on my bed when you roll on it!".

Ryeowook stopped typing and looked bewilderedly from Sungmin to Kyuhyun and back to Sungmin with big questioning eyes. 

"Wook, it's not what you think" Sungmin said.

"He was on my bed and our face were just inches apart. My best waking up moment in my life!" Kyuhyun laughingly told Ryeowook, then took his mug and turned around, sipping his coffee while walking towards the surgery area, which was at the other wing.

"What were you doing on his bed??? I thought you were waking him up, not join him on bed!" Ryeowook, who by now had stood up, whispered to Sungmin.

"There's a logical explanation ok, but later" Sungmin whispered back.

"Sungmin-ssi? Coming?" Kyuhyun called Sungmin from where he was standing at the lift area. 

"Yes yes, doctor" Sungmin shrugged his shoulders, took his file and ran after Kyuhyun. 

The surgery started on time. The patient had been wheeled in earlier for his general anaesthetic. 
Sungmin read out the patient's statistics to Dr Cho. "The patient's name is Lee Donghae, date of birth 15 October 1986. Tumour on his right side of temporal lobe and it was first discovered around 6 months ago after he was referred to this hospital by his company's clinic, after having hearing and memory lapse problem". 

"Thank you, Sungmin-ssi. Ok let's get started" Kyuhyun informed the rest. 

The temporal lobes are responsible for hearing, memory, meaning, and language. They also play a role in emotion and learning. The temporal lobes are concerned with interpreting and processing auditory stimuli. 

As expected, Dr Cho Kyuhyun, being one of the best neurosurgeon, performed the surgery with ease and full of concentration. Sungmin was amazed by his in-depth knowledge of the procedure and precision in cutting the skull. 

Surgery to the brain requires the removal of part of the skull, a procedure called a craniotomy. For the removing of the tumour itself, this procedure is called stereotactic needle biopsy and is applied on patients with deep or multiple tumors. 

After the surgeon removed the tumor, the patient's own bone will be used to cover the opening in the skull.

It was almost 6am when the skull was covered and Kyu asked the assisting doctor to sew the skull, cleaned up the surgery and bandaged the surgical area. The nurses helped to arrange for intensive unit ward transfer and started to unplug the equipments. 

Sungmin went out to washed his hands and Kyuhyun was there washing his hands as well.

"Dr Cho, congratulations on this successful surgery! Do you want to talk to the patient's family?"

"Thanks. Oh, they are here?"

"Yes, his mother, Mrs Lee, and his brother. I was told that they are waiting at the seats at the lift lobby".

"Ok, can you help me remove my surgical apron?" Kyuhyun moved closer to Sungmin but didn't turned around for Sungmin to untie the strings.

Sungmin tiptoed to untie the strings behind Kyuhyun's collar and again, their faces were near to each other. And with both Sungmin's hands around Kyuhyun's shoulder, he couldn't help to look up to Kyuhyun's face. He was smiling and Sungmin quickly looked away to finish untying the suddenly entangled knot, and swayed a bit as he changed his tiptoed feet to another. 

Kyuhyun steadied Sungmin by holding his waist. Ohmygod, Sungmin felt like he was dying of happiness, errr no no, from breathlessness.... Luckily the apron was undone by now, so Sungmin quickly removed Kyuhyun's apron and could finally breathe. He didn't know that he was holding his breath!

Putting away the apron into the laundry basket, he composed himself before turning to Kyuhyun "Errr, Dr Cho, if you are ready to meet the patient's family, this way please" Sungmin turned to lead the way to meet the patient's family. He praised himself that he could recover so fast.

Smiling and satisfied that his plan works, Kyuhyun followed Sungmin to the lift lobby area.

"Mr Lee and Mrs Lee? I'm staff nurse Lee Sungmin, and this is the neurosurgeon, Dr Cho Kyuhyun, that has successfully remove the tumor in the patient's brain".

Mrs Lee started crying with happiness and praising Dr Cho for saving her son's life. The patient's brother, Mr Lee Donghwa, shook hands with Dr Cho and thanked him repeatedly. Dr Cho kept saying it was all God's help that every went successfully. 

Sungmin stepped forward to pass Mr Lee the surgery form for his signature, and informed him the the patient would be in Intensive care unit for observation, at level 3. The Lee's were advised to go later, as the patient was still in recovery room after surgery. 

"Maybe you two can go for something to eat at our 24hrs food court at Level 2, and later you can go to Level 3 and see the nurse in charge, Lee Hyukjae, at the nurse station, and he will guide you to put on surgical mask and glove before you can step into the ICU ward". 

"Ok, thank you, thank you very much". 

After they have taken the lift, Sungmin turned around to walk back to the surgery room to check that it has been cleared. 

"Ooooffff....." and he walked right into Kyuhyun!! "Ohh I thought you have left!! I'm so sorry Dr Cho!!"  

Holding Sungmin's waist (again!), Kyuhyun said "Sungmin-ssi, if you want to hug me to thank me for a successful surgery, just say so. I'll be happy to oblige!"