Migrate

Night shift

 

Kyuhyun introduced his family to Mr and Mrs Lee and they had a nice catch-up over dinner.

"So I was telling Sungminnie, if they fly back here for a visit, they should buy for us French wine! That should be the best souvenir!" Mrs Lee laughed.

"Oh yes! That's a good idea! Kyu? Okay??" Mrs Cho turned to her son, smiling widely.

Kyuhyun chuckled and glanced at Sungmin "No problem! We will go to the vineyard just to get the special ones for you all!" he laughed, making everybody laughed too.

"I heard there are complimentary wine tasting at each vineyard, right?  They have this service to attract people to come to their vineyard and buy their bottles" Mr Lee chipped in to ask.

"Yes, the one I went to was at Saint Emilion, at Bordeaux. If visitors join the tour, it comes with wine tasting session, in addition to the winery tour. Very nice place and their wine collection are superb!" Kyuhyun told them. 

"Why did you go without me?" Sungmin asked, making the rest laughed. 

"It was on my earlier trip when I was still with Seoul Hospital" Kyuhyun laughed. "We'll go again, okay?!!" 

"Yes!!!" Sungmin showed his fist and gave a big cute smile! They laughed and continued with their dinner. 

The long flight was tiring, but flying together with Kyuhyun felt better and more relax for Sungmin. He could rest his head on Kyuhyun's shoulder when the cabin lights were off, and be in Kyuhyun's arms, till the next meal when the air stewardess switched on the lights again, where they would untangled themselves and sat in their own seats. 

They reached Charles de Gaulle Airport the next morning and both Kyuhyun and Sungmin stretched their bodies before standing up to retrieve their carry-bags. 

So, they are finally here! They are in Paris for good! Kyuhyun brought along their visa clearance for long-stay and migration approval, and after they cleared immigration, they collected their luggage and exit immigration happily. 

"Min, wait here, I call the car rental company" Kyuhyun said, and added, "or should we eat first?". 

"Let's eat around your previous apartment. Do you need to call the landlady?" Sungmin asked. Kyuhyun had re-rented his previous rented apartment to put all the belongings that they shipped over earlier. 

"I've text her yesterday on our flight schedule, and our arrival time, and she said she will leave the key in the letterbox. She sent me the PIN and said we can enter the apartment any time" 

Sungmin nodded "So nice of her! Okay then, let's get the car" he smile and dragged their luggage and bags to the seats area.  

An hour later, they were eating pizza at the apartment, which they packed from a nearby cafe. The landlady had arranged their boxes neatly and even cleaned the apartment to welcome them! 

"I missed this pizza!! It's really nice and so different from those in Seoul or Daejeon!" Sungmin said while munching his 3rd slice. 

"I guess it's the way they are prepared. Over here it's really manual and using old fashion furnace and using their own herbs, sauce and cheese. And you can taste the cheese, right? Not too cheesy yet very tasty" Kyuhyun agreed with Sungmin while munching his 3rd slice too. 

French pizza, or tarte flambee, originated in the Alsace region of France and is considered a specialty there. Similar to Italian and American pizza, it begins with a soft, thin crust of yeast-raised dough. 

The traditional toppings for tarte flambee are crème fraîche, caramelized onions and lardons. Crème fraîche or fromage blanc are used interchangeably almost as a sauce. They are both soft and creamy with a delicate, sweet cheese flavor. Sweet caramelized onions balance the salty lardons — bits of bacon — in this savory concoction.

"I want to learn to make these!" Sungmin chuckled. 

"Good! Then I will only eat yours!" Kyuhyun laughed. "Maybe you can mixed the toppings with kimchi and seaweed!" 

Sungmin laughed "That's a good idea!". 

They finished up the pizza and went out to see their permanent apartment which Kyuhyun had placed a deposit. The apartment was bigger, with two bedrooms, at Auteuil, in the 16th arrondissement in Paris. It was a furnished apartment on the 4th floor, with elevator, with rental about €2,385 per month. 

Kyuhyun told Sungmin not to worry about the rental as he would earned about €15,000 as a surgeon in Saint Louis Hospital, and it would be enough even if Sungmin didn't work.  Kyuhyun actually preferred Sungmin to stay at home, but being an independent person, Sungmin preferred to share the living cost. They moved in to the new apartment 2 days later and had already brought over all their boxes that they shipped over. 

As Kyuhyun would only start work on the following week, they have decided to go for a road trip! They brought along 2 bags of clothings and toiletries, and they were off for their road trip on Monday early morning! 

"Min, we go to Strasbourg first, stay 1 or 2 nights, then we go to Colmar okay. In between we can go to the vineyards" Kyuhyun said as he headed to the highway. 

"I saw in Instagram that the houses are lovely. Like a fairytale!" Sungmin said excitedly "If you are tired driving halfway, let me know, I can take over" 

"Okay love!" Kyuhyun smile happily at him. It would be a four hours drive from Paris to Strasbourg, via the A4 highway. "The vineyards in Alsace region are nearer to Colmar, so we can visit some vineyards on our way to Colmar from Strasbourg" 

"Ohhh okay. Is the weather colder there?" 

"Yup, because we are nearer to the France eastern border, so Alsace area's weather is colder. That's why I ask you to bring along our winter jackets, coz it can be freezing cold! Even colder than Seoul!" 

"Okay, I trust you!" Sungmin laughed, glancing at their 2 bags at the backseat. As they drove more into the highway, the view became more lovely, passing through lovely countryside, open land, sheeps, goats, horses, cute houses, and there was even a castle!. "Wow, French countryside is really lovely! I'm really glad that we decided to migrate here, there are so many things to explore!" Sungmin started to take photo using his handphone. 

"And we can be with each other more!" 

"But when you start your hospital duty, you'll be very busy, Kyu. We can only spend time together during your off days" 

"I know, so the time that we can spend together will be very precious. It might be like that until we open our dream pharmacy!" 

"You seriously still want to pursue that? We need a large capital, Kyu" 

"My Daejeon apartment has been sold and the money has been credited to my account back home! I just need to transfer it here, and together with the money that we can save every month, we can do it! I really believe that we open our dream pharmacy!" 

Sungmin admired Kyuhyun's determination. He always have a purpose in life and he would strive to achieve it! Sungmin felt that he still have many things to learn from his beloved Dr Cho! 

"Min, we will stop by the Aire de Ferrières rest area for breakfast okay. You haven't eaten anything since morning" Kyuhyun said while exiting the highway. 

"Why are you always worrying about me, Dr Cho. You need to think of yourself too, you need a break from driving"

Kyuhyun laughed "Like it or not, you are my first priority. Always will be!!" Kyuhyun said, as he parked his car outside the rest area building. He stretched to the backseat to grab their jackets "Put on your jacket. I think it's cold" and he passed Sungmin's pink winter jacket to him. 

Aire de Ferrières is situated along the A4 highway, at Aire De, 77600 Bussy-Saint-Georges, France. As they stepped into the glass door, Kyuhyun whistled as the place has everything! Rest rooms, cafes, supermarket, small video game area, Internet cafe area, and even kids playground area at one corner. 

They got a table and Kyuhyun removed his jacket and helped Sungmin to remove his jacket too. He went to the cafe counter to place their order and from their seats, Sungmin could see the counter girl kept looking at Kyuhyun with interest. Though Kyuhyun is an Asian, but his height, fair skin and good looks always attract attention everywhere he went. 

Sungmin rested his jaw with his palm on the table, and looked at Kyuhyun, smiling teasingly because of the girl's interest on him. Kyuhyun happened to glance back at him and noticed that he was looking and smiling at his direction. He turned his head fully to him and raised his eyebrows, thinking that Sungmin might want to order something else. 

Sungmin chuckled and shook his head. He wasn't jealous at all because he trusted Kyuhyun's heart. 

"Do you want to order something else?" Kyuhyun innocently asked Sungmin when he walked back with the beeper, since Sungmin was looking at his direction. 

"What did you order?" Sungmin smile, trying hard not to burst out laughing. 

"Your favourites..." Kyuhyun sat down and looked up at him, and instantly knew that Sungmin was laughing inside "What?" 

"Nothing..."

Kyuhyun didn't believe that it was nothing. He think back and realised that Sungmin must have noticed that the girl was smiling flirtatiously at him. "I don't care about that girl, so don't get the wrong ideas". 

Sungmin giggled "I was just teasing you because wherever you go, you are never without suitors. If you ever decide to be straight, you'll be married in no time!!" 

Kyuhyun laughed "Well, my heart belongs to someone adorable and there is no more space for other people. And too bad, I have choosen my path" he reached over to pinch Sungmin's nose. Even now, resting his jaw like that, Sungmin looked so adorable! 

The beeper beeps and Kyuhyun collected their orders and he could still sense that the counter girl kept throwing glances at him. "Give up girl, I'm not interested" he said to himself and rolled his eyes.

They ate happily as overall, surprisingly at such a highway rest outlet, the food were tasty and very delicious. "I think the cheese and flour that the French baker used makes all the difference. Even their croissant is super yummy!" Sungmin said in between his bites. 

"Yes, they don't use processed cheese like us, and they use fresh cheese. One of these days we can visit cheese factory. French cheese have many many different kinds and flavours, you know, just like the Dutch" Kyuhyun told him, while biting into his last piece of lasagne. 

"Yes let's do that, maybe during your next break!" Sungmin smile happily. "Hmm Kyu, later can we drop by the supermarket there?  I just want to have a quick look around" 

"Yup, okay. We can get bread, butter and cheese for breakfast tomorrow morning" Kyuhyun agreed, as he knew the small hotel that they would be staying in Strasbourg didn't include any breakfast. Sungmin nodded happily while finishing up his latte, and Kyuhyun reached over to wipe his mouth making Sungmin feeling a bit shy to be pampered like that by his beloved boyfriend. 

After they got whatever they wanted from the supermarket, Kyuhyun drove back into the A4 highway.  Sungmin had wanted to drive so that Kyuhyun could rest, but Kyuhyun told him that he was fine and no problem to drive on. 

After two hours, Sungmin could sense that his dear Dr Cho was sleepy. And Strasbourg was still about 1.5 hours to go. 

He has an idea "Kyu, can we stop by the next rest area? I want to go to the gents" 

"Ahhh okay" Kyuhyun said, suppressing a yawn. He exited the highway and parked nearer to the cafe entrance. 

"Do you want to go to the gents?" 

"No, I just rest for a while" 

"I think you rest in my seat, at least you can stretch your legs" Sungmin said while opening his door. 

"Okayyy love" Kyuhyun said, and just stretched his leg over to hop to the passenger seat. 

"Good" Sungmin smile and walked towards the cafe. When he came back to the car, as he expected, his dear Dr Cho was sleeping so soundly. He shook his head and smile, and walked over to the driver side. French cars are right-sided, so the driver is on the left, just like South Korea, so Sungmin are okay and confident to drive. The rest area has a petrol station, so he drove over to top up petrol, and was surprised that the petrol price here was considerably cheaper than Paris. 

After topping up petrol, Sungmin paid and went back to their car. He paid close attention to the GPS, and manoeuvred his way back into the A4 highway. 

As Kyuhyun had input the hotel location into the GPS, Sungmin followed the guide and eventually reached the hotel in Strasbourg. There was a small carpark area and luckily for him, there were 3 lots available. Once he has parked, he shook Kyuhyun gently. 

"Kyu, wake up. We are here!" 

"Hmmm? What..?" Kyuhyun face was so cute when he yawn. 

"We are here" 

"Here? Here where?" 

"Strasbourg! We need to check in to the hotel..." 

"We are in Strasbourg?!!!" 

"Yup..."

"How..." 

"I drove coz you were too tired and slept" 

"I did..?" 

Sungmin laughed. "Yes, so let's go. We can check in. It's a nice hotel!" he got out and opened the backseat door to bring out their bags. 

"We are in Strasbourg?" Kyuhyun got out and still couldn't believe that he slept all the way! 

Still in daze, he followed Sungmin into the hotel, with Sungmin shaking his head and laughing all the way...