A new doctor

Night shift

 

"Dr Cho, can you cover Dr Park for this surgery? He said he needs to apply morning leave so we now need somebody to replace him" the head of cardiovascular team, Dr Song, asked Kyuhyun.

"Oh sure. Let me know the details. But didn't Dr Park knew that there is an important surgery this morning?" Kyuhyun 

"Yes we assigned it to him, but last night he suddenly applied for this morning's leave, and I only saw it just now. So sorry Dr Cho for reassigning this surgery to you. I know you have back to back surgeries the whole day" Dr Song sound very apologetic.

"Don't worry, Dr Song. I will be there at surgery room 3" Kyuhyun smile and nodded and went to his room. He took out his phone to text Sungmin to ask whether he was already on his way, but he saw  there were 2 messages from Sungmin, and a video. One message was sent earlier, then the video, and the other message was send about 15 minutes ago. 

"Kyu! Guess what? Your Dr Park trailed me to the coach station this morning! I don't even know how he knew I was leaving in a coach! Probably he heard me talking to Wook yesterday. But wow! He hated me that much until he applied time off from work just to make sure I left alone, and to Ilsan? Just wow.. "

And the video was taken by Sungmin from his coach, showing that Dr Park left the coach station and walked back to his car out dude the station. 

And another message was "My coach reached the rest area. Happy working Kyu and see you soon! Missed ya"

Kyuhyun became angry that Dr Park ditched his work just to see that Sungmin really left alone to Ilsan?? Is he out of his mind? He has an important surgery today and he just left it like that? Same thing previously, he rescheduled another surgery just because he wanted the Dean and HR to questions Sungmin!

"I must lodge a complain to the panel of doctors. As a doctor, it is not right just to abandon an important surgery and left it to the head doctor-in-charge to scramble for a replacement" Kyuhyun said to himself.

He replied Sungmin's message "I'm very angry with Dr Park. He ditch his morning surgery because he wanted to ensure you left to Ilsan?!! Whatever for? And I have to cover his surgery!"

Then Sungmin replied him "Cool down! Think of a way to report him, without mentioning us. Ok our coach is leaving soon. I text you when I reach Ilsan. Bye love"

"Love you and take care. I call you tonight" Kyuhyun clicked sent. Kyuhyun logged in to his laptop and write in to Panel of Doctors, to report Dr Park's behaviour. Panel of doctors has an upper say compared to the Dean. Though the Dean has the authority to appoint or sack a medical staff, the panel of doctors handle negligence, bad conduct, patients complaints and have the power to pressure the Dean to dismiss a medical staff where they deem fit. 

After Kyuhyun had lodged the complaint, he shutdown his laptop and locked his room, and took the lift down to go to the operating surgery room 3. The nurse bowed at him and passed him the surgery details which was initially assigned to Dr Park. 

Three hours later the surgery ended successfully, and the assistant doctor and nurses were all clapping their hands! Dr Cho was indeed the best! And the patient's family was so relieved and happy when Kyuhyun went out to personally informed them, and they thanked him repeatedly and bowed respectfully at him until Kyuhyun has to stop them! They mentioned to him that the previous doctor had told them not to be too hopeful because the patient has not much chance to survive, so the family had brace for the worst and has been praying non-stop. They were surprised that it was a different doctor and thanked Dr Cho repeatedly again. 

Kyuhyun wondered why Dr Park said that to the family. For surgical doctors, their protocol were to help the patient to survive surgery as much as possible and only inform the families of the low survival rate if there were too many complexities and as a worst case scenario only. He hope that the panel of doctors take serious look at his complaint, for the sake of their patients. 

On his way to his room, Kyuhyun yawned "Ahh... , I missed Sungmin's coffee! I need that now. I'm so tired..." Kyuhyun said. He sighed because he has another surgery in 2 hours time. 

He took his mug and went to level 5 pantry to try to do the coffee himself. But he don't even know where the honey jar was! 

"Dr Cho, you need anything?" suddenly Ryeowook was at the pantry door, making Kyuhyun turned his head with surprise. 

Kyuhyun laughed "Heyy Wook!! I wanted to make coffee the way Sungmin did it, but I couldn't find the honey..." 

"You missed the person or the coffee...?" Ryeowook laughed, and took Kyuhyun's mug. 

"Both..." Kyuhyun laughed. "How come you are here this early?" Kyuhyun looked at his watch, because Ryeowook was supposed to be in the night shift too, just like Sungmin. 

Ryeowook opened up the coffee jar and added hot water "I needed to do staff planning, and I'm still new to this, so I came early to finish up. I'm not as efficient as Sungmin-hyung you know, he could  finish that within 15 minutes!!" Ryeowook chuckled. He then opened up the fridge to take out the honey bottle. 

"Practice makes perfect.." Kyuhyun said, leaning against the table. "By the way Wook, when you and Sungmin were talking yesterday about him taking a coach this morning, did you happened to notice whether anybody was behind you two?" 

"Hmmm, we were walking from the cafeteria to the lift, yeah... I think there were a few people behind us. Why.. ?" Ryeowook asked, passing him the coffee mug. 

Kyuhyun took a sip "Hmm.. not bad!"  he chuckled. 

Ryeowook laughed "Actually Sungmin-hyung learnt from me you know!!!" and he put the honey back in the fridge and took out an orange juice for himself. He gestured Kyuhyun to sit down. "So, why did you ask?" 

Kyuhyun turned his head to check whether there was anybody at the door, and then told Ryeowook what Sungmin had told him, and about Dr Park's leave this morning and also the surgery that he has to take over. He told him everything including his complaint about Dr Park. 

"Ohmygod! That means he was behind us and listening to our conversation?!!! Sungmin-hyung was telling me that he was leaving by coach to Ilsan in the morning. But i'm very sure Dr Park wasn't in the lift after that because there were only two of us. But, how could Dr Park do that? He ditch an important surgery???" Ryeowook closed his mouth due to disbelief! 

"Anyway, I've done my part to lodge an official complaint. Let's see what happened.." 

"When is your last day, Dr Cho?" 

"2 more weeks! I'm supposed to serve till end of the month, but I offset my leave.." Kyuhyun smile. 

At close up, Ryeowook realised that Dr Cho was really gorgeous, and pairing with his beautiful Sungmin-hyung, they really made a beautiful and awesome couple!  He said to Kyuhyun "I'm really sad that Sungmin-hyung and you are leaving. You two are really great working people and I don't know when I can meet you two again... ". 

"Come and visit us in Paris!!" 

"I had to save money!!" Ryeowook raised his eyebrows, making Kyuhyun laughed. 

"Okay, I have to go. Thanks for the coffee!" Kyuhyun lifted up his mug to say his thanks. 

Ryeowook waved at him and went back to his station. He didn't see Dr Cho again, until a week later, in late evening. 

"Heyyy Wook!" 

Ryeowook looked up and saw Dr Cho walking towards his station, with another doctor. He seemed new coz he never see this doctor before.  Ryeowook smile and greeted Kyuhyun "Hi Dr Cho!" 

The new doctor kept looking at him while they walked nearer. Ryeowook walked out from his station to greet the new doctor, still smiling. 

"Wook, this is Dr Kim Jongwoon. He is a surgeon from Busan, and newly transfered here to replace me" Kyuhyun introduced Dr Kim to Ryeowook. "And Jongwoon, this is Kim Ryeowook, senior nurse and team leader for this nurse station" 

"Hello, nice to meet you!" Dr Kim smile warmly at Ryeowook, while looking directly at him. "I hope we can be friends because I am new here". 

Ryeowook greeted him back. In his heart he was fangirling "Wow, he is so handsome!!! And he wants us to be friends!!!". He smile and said to Dr Kim "Ahhh.. sure Dr Kim, just come to our station here if you need help with anything". 

"I sure will" Dr Kim smile at him again. 

"Jongwoon, from our level 7 room, you just take the lift down to level 5 to do your rounds. Ryeowook is here on night shifts, and during the day, the nurses has a rotation shift. But you can just ask any of them if you need help with the laptop to input patient's daily progress"

"I see, okay cool" Dr Kim nodded his head and turned to Ryeowook and smile warmly at him again. 

"Okay, let me show you the wards" Kyuhyun gestured to Dr Kim to walk towards their left. He turned to Ryeowook and waved "See you, Wook!"

"See you, Dr Cho and Dr Kim" 

And Dr Kim turned his head, smile and waved at Ryeowook. 

Ryeowook felt like floating "Wow, he is so dreamingly handsome!! Well, not as handsome as Dr Cho, but still, handsome to me...!!" he said, smiling like an idiot. He wished that they had exchanged phone numbers....