1st encounter

Night shift

Staff nurse Lee Sungmin had just finished his rounds and he was walking back to the nurse station to check the next schedule. It was 2am and a quiet night at Sapphire Hospital in Daejeon as most of the patients had been given their medications and were sleeping. 

Sungmin like it when it was quiet and peaceful. That was the sole reason why he had opted for permanent night shift because he don't particularly like the buzzing of visitors walking and running around, scrambling and rushing to buy food during lunch time and the endless siren of ambulance coming to send injured patients to the A&E department. He knew it was part and parcel of working in the hospital, but after 5 years of rushing throughout the day, he preferred for a quieter environment, eventhough it meant he has to adjust his sleeping time. 

There was a scheduled operation for a brain tumor patient at 3am, and the surgeon and assisting doctors and nurses were supposed to be ready 45minutes before the operation. 

"Boss, I think the surgeon is not up yet. You want to wake him up? He's in room 713" Ryeowook, a nurse in his team for tonight, told him. "But I heard that he's a difficult doctor to deal with ever since he was transferred here from Seoul". 

"Really? But I heard he is one of the best and our hospital took great pains to get him here. Anyway, yeah, I will go up to his room to wake him up. Wook, you take care of the station. 

"Ok, boss, good luck!!" 

Level 7 left wing are the doctors room, for them to rest or sleep in-between their duty. The right wing are consultation rooms, for the doctors to meet their patients for follow up treatment. 

Sungmin stepped out from the lift at Level 7, and look for room 713. He knocked but no answer, so he turned the knob and stepped into the room. 

The room was neat and the table lamp was on. He read on the 'surgeon on duty schedule' just now that the doctor/surgeon's name was Dr Cho Kyuhyun.

"Dr Cho?.." Sungmin called out. He walked further towards the bed and true enough, the doctor was still sleeping. He couldn't see his face properly as the room was dim, and the doctor was facing the wall, but he imagined the doctor must be quite old with beard and gray hair.

Sungmin shook the sleeping figure gently "Dr Cho.. Ermmm.. you need to wake up for the operation at 3am later... Dr Cho..?" Sungmin shooked him again.

"Hmmm???" the sound came from the sleeping figure. 

"Errr, doctor, you have to wake up for the surgery later at 3am" Sungmin said leaning and bending down towards the doctor so that he don't have to talk loudly. 

Suddenly, Sungmin lost his balance and fall, of all places, on top of Doctor Cho, just when the doctor woke up and turned his body towards Sungmin. 

Both of them got a shocked and stared into each other's face which were mere inches apart, with Sungmin's face on top of Dr Cho!