Settling In

Welcome to Waikiki
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Even when the house was spotless, Jeongyeon found ways to rope everyone into cleaning. Her excuse this time was to help Mina familiarize herself with the house more intimately, despite the four having given her an extensive tour the other day. It had only been three days and it was only slightly awkward for the Waikiki workers. In Chaeyoung's case, it was awkward.

In all honesty, they had no idea what to do with the new semi-permanent resident that suddenly stumbled into their lives with a bloody nose and a single suitcase. Myoui Mina was someone quiet and introverted; she didn't talk much unless asked and even then, she only ever answered in two sentences or less. Much speculation surrounded her, but no one was brave enough to ask her directly where she came from or how she was able to afford a whole year's worth of housing fees. Nayeon decided that as long as she had the money, she can stay however long she wants. The question still stands, however...

"So, Mina." Jihyo called and leaned her weight on the mop she was using to clean the floors. "How did you hear about our guest house? It's not like we advertise much around this time of year." It was around mid-spring and the temperature was slowly starting to rise as summer approached around the corner. A trinkle of tourists occasionally come and go around this time at best and none at all at worst, so one visitor was a blessing from heaven above for their business. "Did one of the locals tell you to come here?"

Jihyo was gifted with a naturally loud voice since she was young, so Chaeyoung and Nayeon didn't need to strain to eavesdrop on their conversation. The two were in the middle of wiping down the kitchen counters as they inched closer to where the two were in the living room. They could afford to slack off while Jeongyeon went grocery shopping for their lunch. 

In the middle of dusting one of the shelves, Mina turned to Jihyo and nodded her head. "When I was walking in the market to get something to eat, a nice old woman saw my suitcase and asked me if I needed somewhere to stay. She told me about the guest house near her house and gave me directions to get there. She was right when she said that it was easy to spot." While she was talking, she picked up a framed photograph and wiped the residual dust off the glass. Her eyes remained on the six smiling figures behind the safety of the frame. Jihyo, Nayeon, Jeongyeon and two other people she couldn't identify posed around Chaeyoung, her face smeared with frosting from the cake she was holding. It must have been her birthday. Their happiness infected her, and, without knowing it, corners of her lips twitched up into a smile as she gently placed the photo back to its original place.

Chaeyoung popped her head into the room. She had a guess which old woman helped her, but she needed to confim."Was the old woman wearing a floral bucket hat and a pink jacket?"

Mina recounted that day in her head and snapped her fingers in realization, "Yes, she was wearing those..." She shifted to give Chaeyo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter