You know what this means

An Omega Worth Fighting For

a/n: this was not planned but the details just sprang to me and I had to write it.

DISCLAIMER: No animals were hurt in writing this chapter.

 

---

 

Seungcheol’s eyes went wide with realization and stopped laughing as he stared at the artic wolf’s body while blood drained and stained the pure white snow. He approached the slain animal and with careful and gentle hands, he ran a hand on the wolf’s head and closed its eyes.

 

“Yuta.” Seungcheol called out and the alpha locked gazes with his guard. “You know what this means.” The guard simple stated and Yuta nodded. With expertise, Seungcheol then wrapped the animal in a cloth he was carrying and hauled it on its back, they got to go bac to base immediately.

 

“We have to go.” Yuta informed Taeyong and the omega nodded.

 

“Is your feet okay?” Taeyong asked softly and Yuta smiled then nodded.

 

“I’ll carry you.” Youngho offered but Yuta shook his head.

 

“Then let me walk beside you and assist you.” Taeyong said and Yuta smiled at him and thanked him.

 

The walk was silent as Seungcheol led the way back while Youngho walked behind the royals. Yuta tried to bear the pain but as soon as he felt it was almost unbearable, Taeyong took his arm and helped him walk. Youngho watched the two with a fond smile, they are surely meant for each other, and if they do end up together, he’ll have to thank each diety known to him for making this match a reality.

 

They reached the base camp and as soon as Kun saw Yuta, he rushed to his brother to aide him. Kun hissed at the swollen ankle but carefully led the older to his cottage to treat his injury. Jeonghan eyed the cloth wrapped item on Seungcheol’s back and the two just exchanged eye contact and nodded to each other, confusing Youngho and Chittaphon who helped his mate with the bags he was carrying.

 

 

“I know that it’s not my place to ask but is the wolf of some importance? Did we kill a sacred animal?”  Youngho asked Seungcheol who sighed.

 

“The artic wolves are definitely of importance and they are meant to be killed. Other information though, It’s not my position to tell you.” Seungcheol said as he carefully placed the animal in the cart and safely strapped it for journey.

 

Once the others had returned, Seungcheol informed Wonwoo of Yuta’s condition then gathered the four Kusarian monarchs. He had informed them of the artic wolves and all four nodded in understanding.

 

“Was Taeyong hyung hurt?” Junhui asked and Seungcheol shook his head. “Then it’s all up to Yuta hyung now.” Junhui said and everyone nodded.

 

---

 

Upon their return to the palace, Seungcheol carefully took the artic wolf’s body and carried it inside one of the halls, piquing the Muhanuinian’s interests at the sacred animal. Yuta immediately went to his parent’s room and paid his respect.

 

“Yuta.” His father called him and he rose from his bow. “is it true?” He asked and Yuta nodded. “If it is the case my child, you have to fulfill the artic wolf’s wishes.” His father said and Yuta nodded.


“I will do what is dictated by the spilled blood of such pure creature.” Yuta answered and his father smiled warmly.


“Please don’t do this because it is our tradition.” The old man said with a warm smile. “Do it because you want it.” Wise words made Yuta look at his father and his mother and he too smiled.

 

“Then I will do it for myself father.” He replied and he was dismissed.

 

Yuta went down the hall leading to the temple grounds. The sacred place houses their shamans and where Seungcheol laid the wolf’s body. He bowed to the head shaman before he entered and upon the sight of the pure animal, now cleaned and presented in an altar, he allowed himself to smile. He ran a hand on the animal’s silken fur and closed his eyes as the touch warmed him up like nothing else did.

 

“I’m sorry.” Yuta turned to see Taeyong by the door and Yuta beamed him a smile.

 

“What for?” Yuta asked.

 

“For your ankle and now for killing a sacred being.” Taeyong said and bit his lip.

 

“I told you that it’s not your fault.” Yuta reprimanded the omega but his voice was gentle. He then sighed and motioned for Taeyong to come closer and have a look at slain wolf. “An artic wolf in our territory is rare and indeed sacred but it is meant to be slain, specifically by an alpha whose blood rules over Kusari.” Yuta explained. “her blood must be spilled to be able to protect the alpha for what he’s about to face.” Yuta said and smiled sadly at Taeyong. “Isn’t she beautiful?” Yuta asked and Taeyon wringed his hand then nodded. “You may touch her, her name is Shiro, pure and majestic as the white snow.” Yuta said as Taeyong ran a hand on the wolf’s coat.

 

“She’s indeed beautiful and warm?” Taeyong was surprised, shouldn’t dead bodies feel cold?

 

“She is indeed.” Yuta smiled sadly.

 

“Your majesty, you have emissary from Geomul tribe demanding for the Muhanuinian omega.” The head shaman announced and Yuta nodded before looking at Taeyong and smiling at him.

 

“It’s about time, to end this.” Yuta said and led Taeyong out to face the emissary.

 

---

 

Yixing was grinning as he sat inside the sitting room where the Kusarian monarchs received them. Yuta walked inside with an air of confidence, with Taeyong walking next to him with head slightly bowed. Yuta stopped at the other end of the room and motioned for Taeyong to take a seat next to him.

 

“Greetings, my lord. I am Yixing from Geomul tribe.” Yixing greeted with a shallow bow.

 

“What is your purpose?” Yuta asked.

 

“Straight to the point are we?” Yixing grinned. “Well, if that is the case then you do know Prince Sehun had taken claim over the omega, Prince Taeyong of Muhanui.” Yixing started and Yuta nodded.

 

“The prince had declined your offers, am I right Prince Taeyong?” Yuta asked and Taeyong nodded.

 

“I do understand the rejection had been made but Geomul tribe is enraged that the prince, an unmated omega, is staying in Kusari tribe without announcement of future mating. Isn’t it odd, your majesty?” Yixing asked and Doyoung was going to say something when Yuta raised his hand to silence the omega.

 

“What are you implying and suggesting?” Yuta asked back.

 

“Without proper engagement, Omega Taeyong has no right to be in Kusari while propositions from the Geomul tribe had been in discussion.” Yixing said smugly. “Or am I wrong, your highness?” Yixing asked and Yuta sighed.

 

“You are in perfect timing.” Yuta grinned and asked for a scroll to be handed to Yixing. Jeonghan did as he was told and handed the scroll to the emissary but not in careful grace that he usually does to distinguished guests.

 

Yixing took the scroll and read it grinning at the alpha in front of him. “And who challenges?” Yixing asked and Yuta smiled at him.

 

“With the bylaws set by our forefathers and founding pack member, I, Yuta, Alpha Prince of the Kusari tribe challenges Alpha Prince Sehun for the right to mate with Omega Prince Taeyong of Muhanui.” Yuta announced making Taeyong wide eye and the rest gaping at the sudden announcement.

 

“Very well your majesty, do we have a representative from the Muhanui tribe to concur?” Yixing asked and Youngho stood and bowed at each representative.

 

 

“In behalf of the Muhanui tribe Kings Yunho and Jaejoong, I, Youngho, alpha guard of Omega prince Taeyong, concur the challenge to be in effect. Whoever wins the fight shall stake their claim to mate with our omega. As set by laws of our founding fathers and to offer neutrality, Muhanui tribe chooses Safaia territory to host the challenge. The challenge shall commence in one month’s time.” Youngho finishes and held out a scroll for both parties to sign.

 

After the document was signed, Youngho bowed to both party and left to hand it to Taeyong.

 

“Do you need a place to stay?” Yuta offered but Yixing declined.

 

“It’s best that we get a head start, a month will pass in a blink of an eye.” Yixing said and the envoy left the palace leaving the others confused, amused and afraid of what will happen.

 

“You did not have to do it.” Taeyong spoke and Yuta looked at the omega who was feeling guilty again for dragging Yuta into his mess. “We will just decline the offer and you can choose your desired mate without this drama.” Taeyong added.

 

“I don’t do things for no reason Prince Taeyong.” Yuta replied and bowed before leaving. “Follow me your majesty.” Yuta said and Taeyong immediately walked towards the alpha while the Kusarians smiled and the Muhanuinians were baffled.

 

“Can we go back to Muhanui then?” Sicheng dared to ask, halting Yuta from walking away. “I mean, Safaia is a tropical region, you should at least acclimate.” Sicheng added and Yuta grinned at the omega.

 

“Kun, Junhui, I leave the preparations to you both. We’ll leave in two days.” Yuta said and led Taeyong out of the room.

 

Yuta walked out into the temple grounds and Taeyong was surprised as the shamans lined to bow down to them. Yuta walked with pride while Taeyong was utterly confused but followed Yuta as he walked to the head shaman.

 

“It has been decided my son.” The shaman smiled and Yuta knelt to receive his blessings. “Shiro has granted you a mate to protect and love with all your being.” He said and Yuta nodded. “She is waiting for you.” He smiled and Yuta stood and extended a hand towards Taeyong.

 

Taeyong was confused, what was happening exactly? But he trusts Yuta so he grabbed the offered hand and they both walked inside to meet Shiro, the white wolf slain to protect Taeyong. Taeyong’s heart skipped a beat as the thought passed him, was Yuta considering him as a mate?

 

They stopped at the altar and Yuta faced Taeyong as he held both of the omega’s hands. He took a deep breath and Taeyong held his breath and made eye contact with the alpha.

 

“I am confused Yuta.” Taeyong was the first to speak and Yuta smiled and nodded.

 

“I know you are.” Yuta answered. “You can say no Taeyong, you can reject whatever I will tell you.” Yuta said and Taeyong slowly nodded while his hand tightened on Yuta’s hand. “I already told you a part of Shiro’s existence.” Yuta said and Taeyong nodded. “but I never told you why she existed.” Yuta said grimly and Taeyong nodded again.

 

“An artic wolf only appears when the Kusarian alpha heir had finally met his mate, and their blood spilled..” Yuta started.

 

“..to protect the alpha from what he’s about to face.” Taeyong finished.

 

“You were listening.” Yuta chuckled but Taeyong pouted.

 

“Please stop beating around the bush.” Taeyong whined making Yuta smile.

 

“Shiro appeared in time to tell me that I had found my mate.” Yuta said and looked at Taeyong’s eyes deeply. “She came to acknowledge you.” Yuta said and Taeyong gaped as he heard the words from the alpha. “you can reject me and say no Taeyong, I am not going to force you.” Yuta said and Taeyong shook his head.

 

“So this is the reason why you challenged Sehun?” Taeyong asked and Yuta nodded. “But are you allowing a wolf to dictate whom you’ll mate with?” taeyong asked and Yuta sighed.

 

“My father told me to not accept this for the sake of tradition, but for my own desire.” Yuta said and took Taeyong’s right hand and kissed it. “I am basing my decision on my own feelings.” Yuta said and Taeyong let go Yuta’s hand and pulled the alpha into a lip lock, accepting his fate as Yuta’s mate. “that’s very unbecoming of you, Prince Taeyong.” Yuta grinned as Taeyong blushed.

 

Yuta then turned to the wolf and grabbed the knife placed on the altar and gingerly pried the Wolf’s fangs. Taeyong looked at the way Yuta handled the extraction gently, as if the wolf is still breathing. Yuta then cleaned the fangs in a bowl of water before he took a string from the altar and wrapped it around the tooth to make a necklace. When both necklace was made, Yuta offered one to Taeyong who lowered his head to signal Yuta to put it on him.

 

“I cannot mark you yet Taeyong, but accepting this will be your reminder. I will fight for you as my lawful mate.” Yuta told him and Taeyong smiled as he grabbed the other necklace.

 

“I accept your gift Yuta, and I am confident that you’ll be able to pull through.” Taeyong said and placed the necklace on Yuta. “I may not be fully yours for the time being, but I will be yours in due time.” Taeyong said and knelt as he took one of his earrings and offered it to Yuta.

 

“Rise my dear.” Yuta said and Taeyong smiled as he placed the earring on Yuta and kissing his cheek before stepping away.

 

“What will happen to Shiro?” Taeyong asked as he eyed the creature.

 

“You’ll meet her again in due time.” Yuta said and they left the temple hand in hand and smiling wide at each other.

 

 

-----

 

a/n: I don’t know if you will like this update because I feel like I by-passed some development. But honestly, out of nowhere, this idea of having the wolf becoming and indicator for Yuta to know who his mate was just waltzed in.

 

PS: Did you enjoy the cute little dance Yuta did in Kcon NY?