Fate is in your hands

An Omega Worth Fighting For

a/n: I am quite nervous writing this one but I hope it would satisfy all your questions and whatnot about Dojae.

 

I wrote the chapter while listening to LeAnn Rimes’ I Need You on repeat.

 

 

----

 

 

Jaehyun sighed, he really did not want to burden his older brother but his situation is not helping. As he boarded his horse for the journey, he looked at his brother one last time and smiled apologetically. He and his entourage went on their way, his heart heavy but it was for the best.

 

The journey had been difficult and even if Yuta had lent them warriors to guide and aide them through the treacherous terrain of the Kusari Tribe, it was still a difficult and draining journey.

 

 

Past the tricky slopes of the Kusari territory, Jaehyun had bid their guides farewell, the sun was up and they could navigate it already. The warriors were not happy to oblige but it was an order from a prince so they bowed and stood on guard as they watched the prince and entourage continue their journey. The snow was falling but they were assured that there was no blizzard or storm to come so they confidently made their way. But as they made their way round a curve, they were faced by a sight they never encountered before. They stopped as they faced the artic wolves gnarling and growling at them. Jaehyun never really knew why they appeared but he instructed Vernon and Seokmin to escape as he withdrew his sword and faced the wolves.

 

 

Vernon had secured Seokmin and they returned to the palace or at least to a safe place when an eagle swooped down and almost toppled Seokmin off the horse. Luckily Vernon had secured the omega and kept him from falling. The eagle swooped again but this time it landed on the saddle and looked at Seokmin in the eyes. It then plucked a feather and placed it on Seokmin’s opened palm before he flew away. Seokmin and Vernon made eye contact before they hurriedly went back to the palace. They met the warriors on their way and they informed them of the situation, one of them lit a sparkle to alert the palace guards then led Vernon back while the rest went to aide the prince.

 

 

 

As they made their way back, the winds picked up speed and the snow pelted on them hard. The guard immediately told them to hurry as an oncoming storm is approaching, something that was not supposed to happen today, but it did. It was high alert in the palace and once Vernon and Seokmin returned, they were welcomed by Yuta and Taeyong who was worried noticing that the prince was missing.

 

 

“He told us to get to safety, there were wolves.” Seokmin was breathing hard and Taeyong immediately pulled the omega to warmth, Chittaphon and Jeonghan giving him warm blankets and warm milk to calm him down while Vernon was given blankets by Jungwoo and Taeil.

 

Yuta turned to Taeyong and kissed his omega as he gathered the alphas to join him. Kun stepped forward but Yuta shook his head, Kun just had fought a challenge, and his body would not be wwell enough for a rescue. He allowed Seungcheol and Youngho to join him along with Joshua, the rest were kept on the lookout.

 

 

---- 

 

Jaehyun gripped the sword tightly as he faced the wolves. He feared for his life; but he had nothing left to lose with Doyoung’s rejection. He watched as one of the wolves stepped forward and he prepared himself to attack or defend, which ever is applicable. But the wolf stopped a few feet from him and its eyes flashed blue while the other flashed yellow. They both howled and Jaehyun’s eyes widened as an eagle flew above them, squawked loudly.  Jaehyun felt himself being pulled, a heavy weight settled on his core and when he looked back on the wolf, it pounced on him and he fell on the snow-covered ground.

 

 

I am sorry my dear prince

 

Jaehyun heard a voice, it did not sound human, but it was somehow comforting. He tried to get up but a paw was preventing him. He saw the eagle flew over him and felt his eyes getting heavier. As the snow pelted down on his still body, he saw a feather flutter, and with difficulty, he reached and grabbed it. He held the feather close to his body and soon after, his eyes closed as the wolves howled.

 

 

----

 

Yuta had led the way as the wind picked up and hurled at them, preventing them to reach their destination. They were persistent though, so they still pushed forward at the fastest pace they could to reach Jaehyun faster. Yuta was surprised to hear of wolves appearing before Jaehyun, he’s not supposed to meet them in such a way, and the artic wolves are not aggressive in nature. He bit his lip as they went on their way, it was unsettling for him.

 

 

They met the guards at a certain point, all taking shelter in a cave as the winds were too strong for them to handle. Yuta understood and allowed them to rest while the four of them continued to look for Jaehyun. They rounded a corner but stopped as they saw two wolves block their path. Yuta narrowed his eyes and looked at the wolves directly in the eyes. The wolves howled and Yuta went down his horse and knelt in form of respect. The other Kusarians mimicked their prince and Youngho, he followed along. The wolves howled once more and then bowed in front of the prince as the eagle hovered them. Yuta now understood the situation and as he looked at the wolves once more, he thanked them for their service. Yuta then stood and followed the eagle, his guards followed after and when the eagle circled a particular spot, Yuta immediately fell to his knees to dig through the snow.

 

“help me.” Yuta called out and all four of them started digging.

 

Yuta felt something, and it was an arm. He quickly moved the snow away and with their combined efforts, they had dug up Jaehyun. Yuta panicked as he saw the prince turning blue and his body was cold as ice. They all quickly removed their coats to wrap it around the prince but Yuta noticed something that made him gasp, they needed to take Jaehyun back quickly.

 

 

-----

 

Seokmin blankly looked at the fire pit, he felt empty as he held the gray feather in his hands, something that was entrusted to him for a reason. He knew nothing about Kusarian traditions other than what he had witnessed, but he felt the burden of the feather that was given to him, he has to do something about it. Seungkwan came to hand him some soup but gasped and dropped the bowl as he saw the feather in the omega’s hand. Seokmin turned and made eye contact with the younger.

 

 

“Where did you get that?” Seungkwan asked and Seokmin looked at the feather and sighed.

 

 

“An eagle gave it to me before the winds picked up.” Seokmin told the truth.

 

 

“It’s why you?” Seungkwan was puzzled but Seokmin could not answer it himself.

 

 

Their attention was called when Yuta and the others arrived. Youngho carried the prince to his room as Wonwoo and the head shaman was called to check up on him. Taeong had instructed to bring in hot water and towels while Kun d brought in the warmest furs they got and Sicheng tended to the fire. They were all worried and when Wonwoo checked his pulse, he was frowning, it was not good. The head shaman then looked at the prince, but when she saw the feather, she shook her head.

 

“His pulse is weakening, I’m sorry.” Wonwoo said and Sicheng immediately turned to his mate while Yuta pulled Taeyong close to him.

 

Both omega started to cry and it pained their respective alphas. Yuta’s hand balled into a fist as he glared at the dying prince on his bed; he wanted to do something but he knew this is beyond his control.

 

 

“I’ll step in.” Kun announced and all eyes are on him. “If Jaehyun’s condition worsen, I am willing to let go of the Kusarian crown for Sicheng to take over the Muhanui crown.” Kun announced and Sicheng gaped at him.

 

 

“Kun ge, what are you saying?” Sicheng was crying still as Kun cupped his omega’s cheek and kissed his forehead.

 

 

“If it ends that way, to preserve the crown of Muhanui, I will step down from Kusari to allow you to take over. A mated Omega can take over the crown.” Kun informed Sicheng. “I can take your name too.” Kun said and Taeyong protested.

 

 

“Kun, you can’t do that!” Taeyong argued.

 

 

“But it’s the only plan that we can draw out.” Kun insisted. “It is the best contingency that we have.” Kun argued and Yuta shook his head.

 

 

“We can’t argue now, Jaehyun’s health is our priority but I do see the benefits of your contingency. We have to be prepared.” Yuta said and they all turned to the cold body lying stiffly on the bed, and praying for a miracle to happen.

 

 

Doyoung was cooped up in his room, body too lethargic to move. He had heard of the commotion but has yet to immerse into details, Jaehyun is not his concern anymore. He heard a knock and frowned as he made his way towards the door. His frown deepened as he saw Seokmin. The retainer bowed at Doyoung and bit his lip as he greeted him.

 

 

“What can I do for you?” Doyoung sounded haarcsh and it made Seokmin flinch.

 

 

‘Your majesty, do you have the chest of manuscripts with you?” Seokmin asked and Doyoung furrowed his brows in confusion.

 

 

“Not that I know off.” Doyoung replied but welcomed the retainer to his room to look for it.

 

Seokmin thanked the monarch and searched the room. His eyes landed on the table and he approached it and placed a hand on the wooden chest. His eyes caught sight of a feather that looked oddly familiar. “You haven’t opened this yet your majesty?” Seokmin asked and Doyoung rolled his eyes.

 

 

“No, I did not even know that it was there.” Doyoung spoked coldly and Seokmin bit back the tears pooling on his eyes.

 

 

“I understand.” Seokmin replied. “Can I have this back your majesty?” Seokmin inquired and Doyoung raised a brow prompting Seokmin to open the chest and show it to Doyoung.  “These are important to Prince Jaehyun.” Seokmin informed him. “They are his treasures and I think it would be just right to have them preserved in his memory.” Seokmin smiled sadly.

 

 

“Get it then, I don’t need it.” Doyoung shrugged his shoulders and Seokmin was hurt with how Doyoung was brushing his charge’s feelings off.

 

 

But Seokmin is a mere retainer who failed his job to protect the prince. But if he would not give up without a fight. So he took out the feather from his coat and offered it to Doyoung as he knelt down on the cold floor.

 

 

“Please give my prince a chance your majesty. My prince just wanted to have you as his mate, and he did his best to prove his worth to you. If you could just give him a chance to pursue you.” Seokmin’s tears fell but Doyoung was not having any of it.

 

 

“He lost the challenged and withdrew his claims.” Doyoung said and Seokmin couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

 

 

“Thank you.” Seokmin said through his tears. “At least in the short time that he knew you, you had inspired him and had given him hope.” Seokmin said with tars falling from his eyes, and his heart heavy for the fate his charge had received. “Thank you, still because in that short time, you made my prince realize love exists.” Seokmin then stood up and placed the feather next to the one on the table then took out a manuscript from the chest. “I’ll leave this to you, your majesty. I hope you’ll find in your heart to forgive my prince for wanting you as his mate.” Seokmin then closed the chest and picked it up, then left the room after bowing to Doyoung.

 

 

Seokmin then walked back to his prince’s room and placed the chest on the night stand. He ran an hand on his charge’s hair as he bit his lip to prevent the tears from falling. “I tried Jaehyun.” He said and then fell on his knees and sobbed, because at this point, there was nothing left to do but wait or the time Jaehyun’s heart succumb to the weight of rejection.

 

-----

 

 

Seungkwan looked at Seokmin crying by his bedside and it made him tear up. The omega retainer wasn’t his friend but it still felt wrong that his charge was clearly the root of pain for everyone at the moment. He walked to Doyoung’s room where said charge had curled up in bed and was looking at the roaring fire. Seungkwan sighed as he saw the manuscript and feathers that were left untouched.

 

 

“Why are you so stubborn Doyoung hyung?” Seungkwan asked and the older did not respond. “Why are you being difficult?” Seungkwan asked again then picked up the manuscript and threw it at Doyoung’s feet. “If you have time to mope then why not have time to read that.” Seungkwan spat out of frustration and walked out of the room to cool his head off.

 

 

Doyoung took the manuscript and read the title, Chained but Limitless. He gasped and opened it, the author’s name made his eyes wide with confusion and anticipation, Yoonoh.

 

 

Doyoung-ssi

 

I may have given up on writing as my ideals and visions were never understood, until I met you.

Your mind is brilliant, and your heart is strong, and if I would be given a chance, to be your mate would be the best thing that will happen to my rather boring and planned out life.

 

Sincerely

 

Yoonoh

Jung Jaehyun, Alpha Prince of Muhanui.

 

 

-----  

 

 

Doyoung knew that being an omega was restraining, and even if he was given a lot more opportunities, he was not taken seriously unlike his brothers and cousins. There were alphas who courted him before, betas who befriended him as well, but betrayals come along with them. Doyoung knew how he was bad mouthed, that he was just using his cousin’s authority to get higher ranks and getting good grades in their school. Doyoung was hurt, but he learned to cope, he had learned to built his walls and ignore them, he had learned to feel numb. He also learned that proving them wrong gave him no satisfaction, he had to hit where it hurts the most. So he became the monster that they created, Dooyoung became the heartless nerd that would make them feel reduced to stupid clowns for even arguing against him. He hadn’t wanted to be one; but being pushed back on a wall with no escape, he had to do with his coping mechanism.

 

Doyoung was bright, but his mind had made his heart cold, because being in constant pain and tears was not his ideal future. And then he came across a novel by a writer named Yoonoh. It was not a typical story of cliched romance, but it was a rather deep story about an omega who fought the social system to lead a revolution. Doyoung was amazed with how he can relate to the vision of Yoonoh, of a kingdom whose hierarchy is not dictated by the biological status of individuals but of their skills and output in the society.

 

 

Doyoung had found reprieve and solace in Yoonoh’s work, and deep down, he had wished to meet them and talk to them about the vision of a utopia. But he was mocked for believing in such ideals that would go nowhere; because alphas rule and omegas submit. And Doyoung just hated the system even more. The main character was relatable and as Doyoung read the fiction, he had imagined him to be the lead and that he can instigate change, that he was useful. He had liked the idea of being useful, for once he could at last say he had done something important or helpful.

 

 

When he met Jaehyun, he had found the prince attractive and pure, a bright mind and a pure heart. Doyoung can converse or argue with him and he found that interesting, no alphas would want to talk to him for being assertive, but Jaehyun had just smiled and deepened their conversation. Jaehyun was perfect but Doyoung was tainted, his heart was icy and black, he was a monster.

 

Doyoung did not want to be ruin Jaehyun, the prince deserves the best, not some monster who had built his walls too high. He’s not fit to be anyone’s mate, and most definitely not Jaehyun’s.

 

 

-----

 

Jaehyun knew that being an alpha would entail great responsibilities and attention from power hungry and oppressive individuals. He had despised the system but a fledging like him, not even a crowned prince, can’t do anything to change the system.

 

He had a lot of admirers, but he knew deep down they only wanted him for his face or his title. It made him frown and shy away from those opportunists. He had wanted a mate who has an actual brain to think, an attitude to banter with him, and a heart to love him. In his quest to find the perfect mate, he had written it down and it came alive as the protagonist of his fiction.

 

Jaehyun longed for his mate, someone who would love him for who he is inside and not for the face value or the price of the crown on his head. He had longed too hold his mate’s hand and together, they put forth the fulfillment of a vision, of equality.

 

 

After writing the first book and had it published, he had felt hopeless as he was criticized for challenging the system again and again. His frustrations had made him brood with anger and it showed as he wrote his second installment. It was heavier than the previous one, and it talked of violence and rejection, of pain and sorrow. Jaehyun hated the world he lived in but he kept it inside to be the perfect alpha prince, and somehow, he lost the will to write a follow through.

 

 

Not until he met Doyoung, the omega that changed the pace of the game. He was perfect, he was everything he’d ever wanted. And even if he was cold to him, he could feel  the warmth the omega was radiating. He knew deep down, Doyoung is his closure but to get to him, he had to prove his worth in so many levels. Doyoung brought his lead character to life and knowing that Doyoung liked his story, he became hopeful that he can write his happy ending too.

 

The third installment was written as a gift, a surprise for Doyoung, but it did not happen. The way Doyoung looked at him made him feel worthless, that even if would try his hardest, he was just not worthy. Jaehyun felt his heart break, and he could hear the insults thrown at him, that being idealistic will not take him far, instead it will only bring him down. And they were right, because despite everything, Doyoung hated him.

 

And so with a heavy heart, he had decided to let go, and that means getting rid of that sliver of hope, getting rid of his story. He did not want Doyoung to read it, he did not want the omega to take pity of him and destroying it would be the only option he had.

 

----- 

 

These three words are for you

These three words I say to you

I love you

 

 

Doyoung looked at the beautiful handwriting of his beloved prince and his tears fell so hard it blurred his vision and his heart ached with longing. Jaehyun was perfect, but he was a monster.

 

 

 

 

-----

 

 

a/n: There is just something satisfying about the 95 liners forming an alpha squad.

Seokmin’s role wasn’t supposed to be that deep but I guess it worked for this to make it dramatic. Angst is something I am comfortable writing so I will apologize if this chapter hurt some of you.