The Hunt

An Omega Worth Fighting For

A/N: let’s get the heavier chapters on the way shall we?

 

 

----

 

Taeyong wanted to cook something, the reason, he was not really sure. They have been staying at the Kusari tribe for almost a month now and he had acclimated well much to the delight of the Kusarian Royals.

 

“It’s early Taeyong hyung.” Kun remarked and Taeyong nodded.

 

“I wanted to treat you all. You’ve never tried my cooking yet.” Taeyong said and Kun smiled.

 

“I am looking forward to it then.” Kun said then started preparing hot cocoa for Sicheng who would not wake up until Kun coaxed him with hot cocoa.

 

“Has Sicheng been giving you problems?” Taeyong asked the alpha who chuckled.

 

“Not really. I’m just not used to his undivided attention.” Kun replied.

 

“Why? Surely you have admirers.” Taeyong remarked.

 

“Not so much. It’s always Yuta hyung or Junhui who are noticed. As the middle child, I was almost always ignored.” Kun shrugged.

 

“You are a wonderful person Kun, don’t think you are any less.” Taeyong said and Kun smiled at him; the same bright smile that Yuta had but compared to Yuta, Kun is softer like that of a mother’s. “Such a wonderful smile.” Taeyong commented.

 

“A smile that is for me.” They heard a grumpy voice and they smiled as they watched Sicheng stomped his way towards them and cupped Kun’s face and glared at him. ‘Right?” Sicheng asked and Kun smiled and nodded.

 

“He’s all yours Sicheng” Taeyong said and returned to cooking.

 

“Well thank you Taeyong hyung.” Sicheng replied.

 

Taeyong finished breakfast and Sicheng helped by setting the table just in time as the other monarchs came to the dining room. Taeyong beamed a smile and Jaehyun smiled wide seeing his brother had cooked familiar foods that made him nostalgic. Yuta eyed the food and looked at Taeyong before smiling wide.

 

“I missed your cooking.” Yuta said before eating which froze everyone. “We spent the snowstorm in the refuge, who would be cooking the entire time?” Yuta asked and his brothers and cousins nodded.

 

 

“You would burn down the kitchen.” Soonyoung chuckled.

 

“Are you pertaining to yourself?” Doyoung countered his twin.

 

“That was one time!” Soonyoung protested.

 

“Anyway, Yuta-hyung, we got to go over the revision of the constitution.” Doyoung said and Yuta frowned.

 

“I don’t want to talk about it while we are eating.” Yuta pouted.

 

“Can I join you? I’d like to give my unbiased review.” Jaehyun said and Doyoung glared at the alpha but Yuta agreed almost instantly so he had no choice but to accept Jaehyun’s help; besides, Jaehyun is a much better to talk to compared to Yuta.

 

“Eat up. Discuss those later.” Taeyong urged and smiled as they ate happily, chattering about plans for the day and training, this was warm and deep down he would want something similar in the near future.

 

 

---

 

By mid day, Yuta was frowning because Doyoung was insisting that they finish the revisions but they were just half way through it and his brains were already fried. Jaehyun chuckled at Yuta but the older alpha just glared at the prince.

 

“See what I have to deal with? Doyoung, I love, I do but I promise to marry you off to the first person that asks for your hand.” Yuta whined and Doyoung glared at him.

 

“Don’t you dare.” Doyoung pointed a finger at him.

 

“Oh yes I will.” Yuta said in a playful tone.

 

“Can I ask for Doyoung’s hand in marriage then?” Jaehyun piped in and both cousins looked at him.

 

‘Are you serious?” Doyoung asked and Jaehyun nodded.

 

“By all means, he’s all yours.” Yuta said and that earned a hard shove from Doyoung.

 

“Please don’t be too violent in front of our guests.” Kun pleaded as he entered the office, carrying tea and biscuits. “What did you do Yuta hyung?” Kun asked.

 

“It was a joke. He’s not giving me any break.” Yuta threw his hands in the air and made a little tantrum as if he was five and his teacher took his crayons.

 

“Whatever that is, come and eat.” Kun motioned for them to drink the warm tea.

 

“You are a life saver Kun.” Yuta grinned and took a cup.

 

“Biscuits courtesy of Taeyong hyung.” Kun said and Yuta quickly took two and ate them happily. “Oh, and Yuta hyung, the weather’s nice, should we go out for a hunt?” Kun suggested and Doyoung quickly protested.

 

“No. No. No. We have to go through a lot of documents and Yuta hyung need to finish them this month.” Doyoung said pointedly.

 

“Relax Doyoung, we still have time. Kun that is a brilliant idea. Can you do the preparations?” Yuta asked and Kun nodded.

 

“Junhui and I can take care of it.” Kun said and left the office.

 

“A hunt?” Jaehyun inquired and Yuta grinned at the younger alpha.

 

“You’ll love it.” Yuta answered and Jaehyun got intrigued with it.

 

---

 

Doyoung hated the hunt because he had to put his tasks on hold and join the alphas in hunting for wild boar, reindeer or game that was available in the lower parts of their mountain territory. It will take at least a few days and that would mean loads of backlogs.

 

“Doyoung, please be a little bit more enthusiastic.” Joshua informed his charge.

 

“At least it will be warmer there.” Seungkwan added as they packed for the trip.  “You could just bring a book or something.” Seungkwan said and Doyoung sighed, picking up some books to carry for the trip.

 

It took almost a day to reach the site and everyone was tired. The campsite was still covered with snow and Seungcheol hurriedly started the fire in the middle. There were five cabins in the site, and each door was painted a specific color. Yuta counted everyone and grinned as the number of monarch when paired up would fit them perfectly. He asked Jeonghan for the sticks with painted ends and held the tips. He then instructed each to take one to determine the rooming arrangements.

 

Doyoung groaned as he looked at the blue colored stick he was holding that matched Jaehyun’s while the alpha just beamed him a smile and asked him to follow them to warm up inside the cabin. Sicheng was jumping up and down as he hugged Kun, the two are going to room together and it delighted the omega while Kun was amazed at the younger’s antics. Wonwoo was rooming with Junhui and the two went overly awkward although everyone knew that they are an item already, while Jihoon groaned as Soonyoung dragged them towards their cabin. That left Yuta and Taeyong who just laughed and walked to their cabins; their guards and retainers followed their charges.

 

The cabin was cozy and Taeyong eyed the four bedrooms, albeit small. “Choose your room.” Yuta informed him and Taeyong nodded, entering the first one near the hall. “Youngho, you and Chittaphon can take the adjacent room, we will take the one across the hall.” Yuta informed him and Youngho nodded and carried the luggage towards the room.

 

---

 

 

The Hunt was simple, they have a day to hunt for the largest prey they could and they will do it as a team. All the meat they will catch will be cured or donated to the less fortunate.

 

“Do I have to?” Doyoung rolled his eyes.

 

“You can opt out, I can do it alone.” Jaehyun said.

 

“yeah as if you know the ins and outs of this forest. No you are my responsibility.” Doyoung pouted as he grabbed his spear and machete.

 

“Okay, are we aiming for a win or just a catch?” Jaehyun asked and Doyoung smirked at him.

 

“A win of course.” Doyoung said and they head out of the cabin to meet the others.

 

Kun was humming as he teaches Sicheng how to use a bow while Junhui and Soonyoung were both stretching while Jihoon and Wonwoo were yawning on the side. The last to come out were Yuta and Taeyong who were obviously enjoying their time

 

“Are we all here?” Yuta asked and everyone nodded. “You know the drill. Stay safe.” Yuta waved and led Taeyong, Seungcheol and Youngho towards a trail.

 

 

“Stay safe Kun!” Junhui waved at his twin then walked towards a different trail with a diligent Wonwoo following along as well as Minghao and Mingyu, the mated retainer and guard of Junhui.

 

Soonyoung soon started his walk as well with Jihoon and their guard Jooheon and his retainer Minhyuk and lastly, Doyoung led his group towards the east trail.

 

Kun and Sicheng waved at them, the two opted out since there should be at least two alphas to remain with the omegas; Hansol and Yukhei also wave at them, the youngest of three sighing because he really wanted to join the hunt.

 

“Look on the bright side, you can practice your mediocre archery skills.” Jungwoo remarked and Taeil laughed.

 

“Did you just diss your alpha?” Taeil asked and Jungwoo nodded. “We should really be friends.” Taeil remarked and the two omegas congregated to share gossips, leaving their alphas frowning.

 

“Guess I have to live with that for the rest of my life.” Yukhei sighed and Hansol patted his back.

 

“Okay let’s practice archery.” Kun chirped and Sicheng was excited because Kun will hold his hand to teach him; oh if he knew Kun would be training him, he would have accepted the offer a long time ago.

 

 

----

 

Doyoung discussed with Joshua, Jaehyun and Vernon their plan of action to which Jaehyun agreed and disagreed at the same time. Jaehyun pointed out that Vernon is a skilled archer and they could utilize him with long range attacks. They kept bickering until Vernon commented.

 

“if you plan to continue that, better get a rom to release your anger at each other.” Vernon said as he loaded his bow.

 

“Now that you think of it, that’s a great idea.” Joshua added and the two blushed and looked away.

 

 

“Come on, let’s get going.” Jaehyun said and walked through the forest.

 

 

 

“Who do you think is the toughest competition?” Youngho asked Yuta who thought for a while.

 

“Junhui.” Yuta answered after a moment. “Wonwoo doesn’t look like he’s much but when him and Junhui double team, they are a force to reckon with; Besides, Junhui is a master archer, Minghao is a close combat fighter and even if Mingyu’s a little clumsy, he packs a powerful kick.” Yuta explained and Taeyong was amazed at how he evaluated his opponents.

 

“That was thorough.” Taeyong remarked.

 

“It’s not always brawns, a battle is also about strategy and learning your opponent’s strength and weakness” Yuta said and Taeyong nodded.

 

“That is true. I really am learning a lot from you, thank you for sharing.’ Taeyong said and they shared a smile.

 

They walked through the trail when they hear a snap and Yuta quickly pulled Taeyong towards him and shielded him but doing so, he lost his footing and they stumbled down a slope. They can hear Youngho and Seungcheol called out their names and Taeyong grunted as he looked at the steep rock wall then to the alpha who had protected him.

 

“Youngho?” He shouted but the guard did not hear him. “Yuta?” Taeyong asked and the alpha grunted under him. “Yuta?” Taeyong placed a warm palm on the alpha’s cheek and Yuta opened his eyes to look at Taeyong, eyes locked into each other and some how they got lost in warm pools of brown and each other’s soul. “Are you okay?” Taeyong spoke and Yuta nodded.

 

Taeyong got up and extended a hand for Yuta but as soon as he stepped his left foot, he winced in pain, prompting Taeyong to look at the alpha’s ankle. It was swollen and Taeyong bit his lip as he felt guilty but Yuta assured him that it was not his fault. Taeyong then ripped his shirt sleeves to bandage the ankle and Yuta thanked him for his kindness.

 

“I really am sorry you got injured.” Taeyong pouted but Yuta reassured him with a smile.

 

“It’s not your fault a tree branch decided to snap and fall. I protected you out of instinct. I did it because I wanted to, not your fault Taeyong.” Yuta said. “Let’s go near the river banks, Seungcheol will find us there.” Yuta said and tried to walk but Taeyong immediately took his arm and helped Yuta.

 

“It’s the least I could do, let’s not put pressure on your foot.” Taeyong said and Yuta nodded.

 

 

They walked for a while, with Taeyong constantly asking Yuta if he was okay and the alpha would smile at him and assured him that he was fine. When they reached the river banks, they sat on a nearby rock and Taeyong took a deep breath. The river had chunks of ice at some parts but it was flowing and the sound was calming. This was something different from the forests in Muhanui were it was warm and green, the trees here are blanketed in white snow. Taeyong then thought of getting some ice for Yuta’s ankle so he went near the river and grabbed a stone. He hit a nearby ice chunk and carried them to place on Yuta’s ankle, the alpha was both surprised and impressed at how the omega thinks.

 

“Are you hungry?” Yuta asked and Taeyong looked at him but shook his head. “Don’t wory too much.” Yuta assured him.

 

Taeong sighed, took a seat next to the alpha and rested his head on Yuta’s shoulder before closing his eyes. “I can’t help but worry, you saved me.” Taeyong spoke and Yuta smiled warmly and removed the hair that had covered Taeyong’s eyes.

 

“It was my pleasure Taeyong.” Yuta said and released a deep breath. “You are worth protecting.” The alpha said and Taeyong smiled hearing that.

 

---

 

Youngho was panicking, both Yuta and Taeyong are nowhere to be found and the large tree branch almost killed them. He was searching his surroundings when Seungcheol called his attention.

 

“We can’t go down but if they survived the fall, I know where they wll be heading.” Seungcheol informed him and led the way.

 

“How sure are you?” Youngho asked.

 

“The princes are trained for the hunt, if anyone is lost or separated, they were told to wait by the river banks, it is the most open area here and they can easily be spotted. And if help doesn’t arrive in the next 12 hours, they can follow the river, it will lead them towards the nearest village.” Seungcheol explained and Youngho nodded, he was surprised at how the princes were brought up.

 

“You really are capable.” Youngho remarked.

 

“Our tribe isn’t the wealthiest, we aren’t the friendliest but we are at least raised to be self-sufficient.” Seungcheol answered.

 

“Ah, it would be really lovely to have Taeyong mate with Yuta, I like it here.” Youngho confessed.

 

“Really?” Seungcheol was surprised.

 

“Yeah, it’s not restricting but you know your responsibilities.” Youngho simplified and Seungcheol smiled at him.

 

“To be fair, I like Taeyong for Yuta too. He brings out the true alpha in Yuta.” Seungcheol said and they both laughed as they made their way towards the river banks.

 

 

“Are you sure you are not hungry?” Yuta asked and Taeyong pouted.

 

“Maybe a little cold?” Taeyong answered.

 

‘Okay, let me lit a fire.” Yuta said and slid down the rock.

 

Taeyong panicked and assisted Yuta who chuckled at how Taeyong was acting. Yuta told the omega to gather some dry twigs as he took some flat stones. They then piled it up on the ground and with expert , Yuta successfully lit a fire, much to the delight of Taeyong.

 

“Thank you!!” Taeyong launched himself toward Yuta and embraced the alpha. Yuta was surprised but he wrapped his arms around Taeyong and smiled.

 

“You’re welcome.” Yuta said.

 

They were enjoying each other’s warmth when they heard someone cough, making them break apart and keep a safe distance from each other. Seungcheol noticed the bandaged ankle and Yuta gestured that he was fine.

 

“We’ll hunt some salmon.” Seungcheol said and dragged Youngho towards the river and the other alpha just nodded because he knew what Seungcheol was planning to do.

 

“You just wanted them some alone time.” Youngho remarked as he readied his spear and net.

 

“Hey, I am hungry, the hike was tiring.” Seungcheol countered but they ended up laughing.

 

While Taeyong and Yuta waited by the fire, they heard a low growl and they became alert with their surroundings. There was gentle breeze but they both knew that there was danger nearing them. Both of them grabbed their spears and machetes and braced themselves. From the corner of Yuta’s ayes, he saw an artic wolf leaped and he wrapped himself around Taeyong to protect the omega. Yuta then stood to face the wolf, challenging the alpha with a stare. Yuta hissed low and when the wolf took a step forward, Yuta launched an attack, striking the wolf with the spear to the neck and the pure white coat became stained with red blood.

 

“I guess we have a kill.” Seungcheol remarked next to a stunned Youngho and smiled as he watched Yuta asked Taeyong who was a little shaken up.

 

“That was brutally amazing and impressive.” Youngho complimented and Seungcheol chuckled knowingly.

 

 

 a/n: Nothing related to the story but I kept on playing SHINee’s I Want You when I wrote it. I guess the emotions of that song is what I really wanted to capture in this story. So look forward to more because Sehun is going to make an appearance soon. Not gonna tell when exactly but Soon(young)….