A Challenge

An Omega Worth Fighting For

a/n: hey there, let’s get this party going shall we?

 

 

---  

 

 

Taeyong and Yuta stayed for a few more days in the refuge being totally in love and bliss, talking about future kids and how they will rule Kusari. Yuta fixed the pure white coat on Taeyong and covered his head in Shiro’s protection. In practiced grace they ascended up the stone path and back into the palace grounds where their entourage greeted them in blissful smiles.

 

 

“So how was your honeymoon?” Soonyoung asked while wiggling his eyebrows making Yuta laugh and shove his cousin playfully.

 

 

“Wait till you get to experience it.” Yuta replied and led Taeyong back into the palace to pay their respect to the king and queen.

 

 

They were given a warm welcome back and Taeyong was presented a pendant to go along with Shiro’s fang; the Kusarian crest acknowledging the omega as part of their own. Taeyong bowed and accepted the gift and Yuta beamed him a proud smile. Sicheng hugged his older brother and Taeyong smiled as he hugged him back. He then hugged Jaehyun who he noticed had solemn eyes; he whispered comforting words for him.

 

Jaehyun then took a deep breath and faced the King and Queen, bowing in respect to represent his tribe. He then bowed to the mated crowned prince and his mate before he faced the king once more. “Your majesties, I would like to ask for your permission to court omega Advisor Doyoung.” Jaehyun spoke and everyone held their breath. “I know that this is abrupt but believe me that the decision wasn’t conjured overnight.” Jaehyun said and the king hummed and looked at Doyoung who was glaring at the prince. Jaehyun took a deep breath as he looked at the monarchs with a serious face.

 

 

“It is up to Doyoung to decide to accept your proposal my prince.” The king said and Doyoung still glared at the alpha.

 

 

“I refuse.” Doyoung said without hesitation and everyone gasped but Jaehyun nodded.

 

 

“Then I challenge Kusari for Omega Dooung’s hand in marriage.” Jaehyun announced and Taeyong looked at his brother with sad eyes.

 

 

Everyone knew what that meant, and it was Jaehyun’s last attempt. Soonyoung was about to step up, he was an alpha and Doyoung’s twin so it’s only reasonable that he accept the challenge but Kun walked in front of Jaehyun and bowed at him.

 

 

“Kusari accepts the challenge for Omega Advisor Doyoung. I am Kun, 2nd prince of Kusari will then challenge Prince Jaehyun for the hand in marriage of Omega prince Sicheng.” Kun spoke and Sicheng gasped next to Jaehyun.

 

 

‘Are you going to challenge Jaehyun for me? But I can just accept your offer Kung e!” Sicheng exclaimed and Kun smiled at him.

 

 

“Wouldn’t it be fair if both aphas have someone to fight for?” Kun asked and Sicheng blushed and smiled bashfully, he had just been indirectly accepted as a Kun’s potential mate.

 

 

“Shall we set a neutral ground then?” Yuta asked, stepping in next to Kun and Jaehyun shook his head.

 

 

“Let’s do it here. Once I return to Muhanui without a mate, I am to oblige the bylaws of marrying a council choice.” Jaehyun said and Yuta nodded.

 

 

“Fair enough, to give both time to acclimate ad train, the challenge shall commence in three days time; prepare yourselves well, it is a battle to the end.” Yuta announced and Jaehyun thanked him.

 

 

“May I speak with you then Jaehyun?” Kun asked and Jaehyun nodded. Kun led the way and Jaehyun glanced at Doyoung who turned his back on him and the alpha sighed and follow the older down the hall.

 

 

“Will they be okay?” Taeyong asked Yuta who nodded but had a bittersweet smile.

 

 

“We both know it’s Jaehyun who would be risking everything, whether Kun wins or loses, he will still have a chance to mate with Sicheng once to omega presents himself as a potential mate.” Yuta answered and Taeyong nodded. “But don’t expect Kun to throw the challenge, Doyoung would not like that.” Yuta added and Taeyong understood.

 

 

“I expect nothing less from the two of them.” Taeyong smiled sadly. “I just wish I could do something to help Jaehyun.” Taeyong confessed.

 

 

“You can, just support him, and we will train with him.” Yuta held his mate’s hand tightly and Taeyong rested his head on Yuta’s shoulder.

 

 

“You’re not gonna train Kun?” Taeyong asked and Yuta shook his head.

 

 

“Kun is more than capable, he just doesn’t let people see his true potential. And believe me, Junhui would ruthlessly train him.” Yuta answered. “I am his brother-in-law, I could help him.” Yuta added and kissed Taeyong’s temple.

 

Kun had led Jaehyun into the library and they sat across each other. Kun offered a smile and Jaehyun smiled back a little. “Why did you take up the challenge?” Jaehyun asked and Kun smiled sadly.

 

 

“It was the logical thing to do, even if I lose, Sicheng can still offer to be my mate.” Kun answered and Jaehyun nodded. “This doesn’t mean I would go easy on you. I still have a reputation to uphold.” Kun answered and Jaehyun smiled.

 

 

“Of course, I expect nothing less.” Jaehyun said and Kun sighed.

 

 

‘I’m sorry, I didn’t know it was Doyoung.” Kun said Jaehyun smiled sadly.

 

 

“It’s not a problem, I had to deal with it sooner or later.” Jaehyun sighed. “I just don’t know what I did wrong for Doyoung to hate me but I guess he sees me as really unworthy for a mate.” Jaehyun said and Kun frowned at that. “I just wish I could have presented myself better.” Jaehyun finished.

 

 

“Doyoung is just a tough cookie, he did grow up as the omega in a brood of five.” Kun offered and Jaehyun hummed.

 

 

“I could understand him the most, I am the only alpha in a brood of three.” Jaehyun answered and Kun smiled.

 

 

“Well It’s good to know that you are not giving up and still has a fight in you” Kun said and Jaehyun returned it.

 

 

“Thank you Kun hyung, I am glad I am going against you.” Jaehyun said and extended a hand.

 

 

“Oh don’t thank me yet. By the way, you should really prepare yourself, Yuta hyung won’t goeasy training you.” Kun warned and Jaehyun raised a brow. ‘Don’t think Yuta hyung will allow you to fight one of his brothes without properly training you? He knows us the most and don’t underestimate any of us.” Kun winked and Jaehyun laughed.

 

 

“You know what,  why do I feel  like you really want me to mate with Doyoung?” Jaehyun asked and Kun laughed.

 

 

“Yuta hyung would likely want DOyoung out of his hair, being a nagging advisor isn’t really Yuta hyung’s favorite person.” Kun replied and it made Jaehyun laugh loudly.

 

 

 -----

 

 

“Why would you reject Prince Jaehyun?” Soonyoung asked his twin who settled himself on his work desk to finish skimming through documents for Yuta.’

 

 

“I am not the omega for him.” Doyoung said simply making Soonyoung sigh.

 

 

“You believe that?” Soonyoung asked and Doyoung’s grip on the quill he was holding tightened. “Seriously, you are perfect for Jaehyun. Your  ways is just what Muhanui requires.” Soonyoung stated and Doyoung glared at his twin.

 


“What do you know? This is my life and whomever I choose to mate will be my decision.” Doyoung spat and Soonyoung sighed heavily.

 

 

“Good luck on that then.” Soonyoung waved goodbye and left his twin.

 

 

Doyoung gritted his teeth and almost broke the quill in his hand. Jaehyun was persistent but he would refuse him till his last breath. People may think because he is prideful but nobody really sees the insecurities he had in comparison to Jaehyun’s perfection; how he was not in any position worthy to mate a crowned prince and take over a kingdom just because he is an omega orphan whose position had been glorified because he couldn’t stop his mouth from nagging his own cousin. He is not worthy of Jaehyun and that’s Donyoung’s final argument

 

 

-----

 

 

Jaehyun hated to be pitied on so when he saw his older brother approach him after dinner, he had a scowl on his face.

 

 

“Don’t give me the attitude Jaehyun.” Taeyong warned and soon after Yuta was next to his mate. “I know you well enough to not push your buttons but I am here to inform you of your training schedule.” Taeyong crossed his arms across his chest as Yuta tried to calm his mate.

 

 

“Kun may have informed you about it.’ Yuta offered and Jaehyun nodded and released a sigh.

 

 

“I just don’t want people to look at me as a failure for being rejected.” Jaehyun said, body seemed small with defeat.

 

 

“Trust me, everyone here is rooting for you. It would be a blessing to have him out of my hair.” Yuta said and Taeyong glared at him. “Look, I have you already to boss me around and advise me on decisions I make, and Doyoung going to nag me more, I don’t think I could handle it.” Yuta confessed. ‘Don’t get me wrong, I love my cousin, but I think you would appreciate him more than I do” Yuta said and Jaehyun laughed loudly.

 

 

“You really want him gone?” Jaehyun asked and Yuta laughed along.

 

 

“it’s only fair, I stole your brother.” Yuta kissed Taeyong’s cheek and the omega blushed and slapped his mate lightly.

 

 

“You two are so precious to look at.” Jaehyun remarked and Taeyongoffered his arms for his brother. Jaehyun instantly approached him for a hug and let go of his restraint.

 

 

Yuta wrapped an arm around Taeyong’s waist as the omega leant on his shoulder, and his other arm around Jaehyun who was now crying silently. The mated pair held the alpha tightly, comforting him on his weakness now to allow him to concentrate on his task at hand, he will win the heart of Doyoung no matter what it takes.

 

 

The training wasn’t child’s play so when Jaehyun stepped on the training ground, he was attacked harshly by Seungcheol and Youngho. Jaehyun was surprised but he drew his sword and defended himself. They heard a applause as Yuta and Taeyong approached them with Chittaphon and Jeonghan following them; Seokmin and Vernon bowed at the mated pair.

 

 

“Reflexes are quick.” Yuta said and drew his sword. “Kun isn’t a quick attacker, he is calculated and his strikes are powerful.” Yuta said and challenge Jaehyun, he took a calculated step and attacked Jaehyun who gripped his sword tightly and countered Yuta’s attack as best as he could but Yuta’s technique was something he wasn’t really comfortable with. “Quicker.” Yuta’s face was stern and Jaehyun nodded.

 

 

“Youngho, conditioning.” Yuta announced and Youngho nodded and turned to Jaehyun and smiled.

 

 

“Are you okay Jaehyun?” Youngho asked and the younger alpha nodded. “Come on, you are breathing heavily and it is a clear sign that you haven’t acclimated.” Youngho said and the younger just nodded, determined to fight his way to Doyoung’s heart.

 

 

“You really love him huh?” Seungcheol walked next to them and took both their swords.

 

“Yeah.” Jaehyun’s answer was short but definitive.

 

 

“GO ahead, Youngho will lead you through the conditioning Yuta had discussed with him.” Seungcheol gestured and excused himself.

 

 

 

“Yuta hyung did what?” Jaehyun asked and Youngho laughed as they started jogging.

 

 

 

“He had given me a list of conditioning excercises when we were in the refuge. He said it could help me adjust to the climate as I ma going to be here permanently.” Youngho explained.

 

 

 

 

“You trained in the refuge? Wasn’t it supposed to be a honeymoon suite or something?” Jaehyun was confused and it only fueled Youngho’s laughter.

 

 

 

“It’s not like they’ll be at it 24/7, they have their moments but then Yuta is really a perfectionist when it comes to his inner circle, he wants them strong and capable.” Youngho explained. “He’s really adamant Taeyong gets the best guard and he won’t replace me just because I hadn’t adjusted.” Youngho then picked up his pace and Jaehyun followed him, huffing as the biting cold is making it difficult to breathe as they run across the field.

 

 

 

“He is really something.” Jaehyun mused.

 

 

 

“you are too. Come on, 3 laps and then we go run inside.” Youngho said and Jaehyun whined but was determined to finish everything.

 

 

---

 

“This is harsh.” Seokmin remarked but Chittaphon chuckled next to him as they watched the two alphas run across the field

 

 

“It’s really essential for Jaehyun to build his stamina if he is going up against Prince Kun.” Chittaphon said and Seokmin looked at him weirdly. “Do not underestimate the princes of Kusari. You’ve already witnessed what Prince Yuta is capable off, but haven’t seen that of the others. The princes were born from warrior parents and Yuta had reminded Youngho that they won’t settle for second best.” Chittaphon informed them and Seokmin sighed.

 

 

“You’ve really integrated well into the Kusarian tribe.” Seokmin mused and Chittaphon smiled at him.

 

 

“Have I?” He asked and they both laughed. “You’ll be in charge of the crowned prince and his mate very soon.I trust that you can handle it Seokmin?” Chittaphon asked and Seokmin looked at his senior and sighed.

 

 

Ever since they were assigned to their posts and charges, Chittaphon had been his uide. Being the omega retainer for the only alpha prince, Seokmin bore heavier responsibilities compared to Chittaphon, but the older had been his guide, mentor and confidant. “I will try my best.” Seokmin replied.

 

 

“Have Prince Jaehyun continued writing?” Chittaphon asked and Seokmin nodded.

 

 

“He’s trying to finish it so I guess he’s motivated.” Seokmin smiled and Chittaphone embraced the fellow omega.

 

 

“Keep up the good work Seokmin.” Chittaphon said and Seokmin thanked the older.

 

 

 

 

a/n: Looks like we are getting another challenge ^^ and this time it’s Kun against Jaehyun for Doyoung and Winwin’s hand in mating.

 

If it is not clear enough, Kun has nothing to lose really but I want to showcase him as more than the gentle middle child. Also, another reason why he presented himself is because both Junhui and Soonyoung are practically mated and as the only “single” alpha, he took the challenge. Another factor is that, it wouldn’t be fun if he just got Winwin bec the omega is head over heels for him. If Kun loses the challenge, Winwin can still present himself as a potential mate for Kun while Jaehyun has this one-shot to have Doyoung as his mate because Doyoung is adamant that he doesn’t want to mate with Jaehyun.

 

 

And if you feellike angst is coming, well you got that part right, hold on to your seats, I prepared something up my sleeves for you but I dropped hints in here.