The Preliminary Test

A blessing in disguise

"Jaejae wake up, we gotta go now." Wonpil shakes Jae's shoulder in an attempt to wake him up from his nap. They were having a class when Jae dozed off halfway through it. They have been practising hard these days because the test is only around the corner so the tiredness is taking a toll on them.

"Hahhh I'm tired." Whined the blonde. He stands up from the seat and does a little bit of stretching. "Let's go." Said the blonde before they head towards the music room together. 

Not only he's tired but he's also demotivated because it's been a week since he gets to meet his crush.

Soon they arrive and they start practising right after. Jinyoung said that they need to prepare two songs so they have been putting their all in perfecting both songs.

That evening after everything's done, they decided to call it day and start packing up their things. 

Right when he was picking up his bag, a notification came from his phone. He looks at it and saw that Younghyun has texted him, asking when he will be done. That was enough to charge him up to the fullest. Happily, he replied that they're already done with the practices and soon after that, the elder replies an "I'm outside". Hurriedly he gets his bag and bid his friends goodbye before running out of the room. "Take care!" Shouted Wonpil.

Turning around the corner, he saw Younghyun standing there with his hands in his pockets.

"Hyung!" He shouted before running to him. The said person look at the younger who's running with his bouncing hair. Looking at the boy, it finally, send his heart a reassurance and warmth. After a week of not being disturbed by the younger, he started to feel kind of empty and that was how he decided to go there that evening.

They sit in the cafe with their drinks on the table. Out of realization, he starts to look around, looking for a certain blonde.

"Don't bother Brian, he's not here." Said Mark who knows perfectly what's the other is thinking about. 

"If you miss him, just go to the music room. He's there with the others." Said Jackson.

"I am not, Jackson." He said before sipping his iced milk tea.

"Sure, just keep denying like that and someone else will snatch him right in front of you. FYI, many seniors have been setting their eyes on him and all of them are guys." Replied Jackson in a serious manner.

"How did you know?"

"Someone of them did come to me for his number and for wanting to know if he's yours."

"And?"

"And I told them to ask you but obviously they don't dare too."

"And I'm sure they have been staying away because you're always with him but now, I don't think so anymore." Said Mark.

"So you choose either to let him be in someone else's arms or let everyone know who he belongs to."

After that little conversations, things have been messing up in his mind until just now when he finally decided to go meet the younger.

"How come you're here?" He asks the elder. "It's your fault. It has been too quiet these days and I'm not used to that anymore." He said shyly. "Having you here is not that bad, I guess." He added, and the words managed to bring a smile on the younger's face.

"Then, would you accompany today?" He asks with a bright smile.

"Hm." He nods. 

Without thinking, he wraps his slender arms around the latter's arm and drags him along with him. He didn't realize what he was doing until he looks at the elder and saw that he is looking at their linked arms. He thought that Younghyun might be angry with so he quickly pulls his arms away. Younghyun who was shocked by the younger's action, look at him with questioned eyes.

"Sorry, I did that out of habit." He said while looking down. 

After a good 30 seconds, Younghyun finally says something. 

"I don't mind."

"What?" He looks at the taller guy in disbelief.

"I said, you can do what you did, I don't mind." Then a smile forms on his lips.

"Really? I can do this?" He links their arms again.

"Hm." and Jae smiles widely at that short answer.

They continue walking like that until they came to the locker area in the music department. 

"What are we here for?" 

"I wanna get my music notes because I forgot to bring them back yesterday."

He unlocked his locker and open the metal door. Then, he didn't realize that something has fell on the ground right when he did that. He proceeded to look for his music sheets while Younghyun picks up whatever that fell just now.

It was a piece of paper. Written in there:

Hi Jae, I'm Yoongi, a third-year from music department too, I 've liked you ever since the start of the semester and if you don't mind, do text me -> XXXXXXXXXX

"What is that?" Asked the younger. Quickly he crumpled it up and put it in his pocket. "Nothing, just some trash I picked up. Are you done?" He nods. "Let's go get you some foods then." He said with a sweet smile, half sincere half wanting to hide about the note he found.

They walk together with Jae clinging to his arm all the time and telling him about everything he wants to like always. He doesn't mind about it one bit and in fact, he's actually comfortable being like this with the younger.

By the time they are done eating at the restaurant near the University, it's already dark outside. They walk back home together while enjoying the night breeze. 

"Ahhh I want all of this to end faster because I am very tired." He let out while looking up to the sky. 

"It's only the first semester and you're already this worn out? How are you gonna survive another three years?"

"Well, I'll be fine if I have my friends and you here." He said while looking at the elder with that pure smile. Younghyun stares at him before adverted his gaze somewhere else. "I only have about two years left chicken."

"I know but after you've finished your study, that doesn't mean I can't meet you anymore."

"Well... you're right."

Soon they arrive in front of Jae's room. Their day ends with Jae texting him a goodnight wish and he did the same to the boy.

 

Soon, the preliminary test started and both of the group did their best for the performance. All of the higher-ups, the senior band and Jinyoung were present. The sophomore group performed their piece first which is, Bom Bom Bom by Roy Kim and soon after that, the junior group went out with their chosen song, cherry blossom ending by Busker Busker. Both groups did well in the first round.

In the second round, per Jinyoung request, they prepared a rather emotional song. They started with the sophomore performing How Could I love The Heartbreak by Akmu and the junior performing To My Youth by Bolbbalgan4 but this time, Jae is the only singer. 

Unlike the song they performed just now, this time it feels very different. Instead of singing, it's more like, he is pouring his heart out. His expression, his voice, his singing, they are telling something that's hidden inside the blonde. Their performance managed to touch the audience's heart deeply.

Coming to the final part, they were given 10 minutes break for the juries to do the marking.

10 minutes past and they were called to go up the stage together.

"So, after we've marked both of your group carefully," Jinyoung started, "the result came out that, all of us here has decided to choose the first year to go for the competition. There were no bias or anything. Each of us up here is very experienced in this field so you can trust our judgment and that there were no flaws in the choice we made. For the chosen group, you guys will need to prepare for the upcoming competition and for you guys, don't be sad, I trust that you guys will improve with times and there are still many upcoming chances waiting for all of you." After the short speech by Jinyoung, they applause for both team who did their best.

After that goes by, they start packing up their personal musical instruments at the backstage. While Jae excuses himself to the toilet for a while, the seniors went into the room and greeted all of them.

"So how are you guys feeling after being the winner?" Asked Younghwa with his playful attitude as always. 

"It's not even a competition hyung, how can we be a winner." Replied Wonpil.

"Ok fine, how do you guys feel after being chosen to represent our university?"

"Quite happy but thinking about the busy days ahead of us, not anymore." Said Dowoon. Hongki chuckles and pats the younger's shoulder. "Be strong kid."

"By the way, where is Jae?" Jackson asks them. "He went to the toilet." Replied Sungjin.

"Right, talking about Jae, his singing was damn amazing just now. It even gave me goosebumps all over." Said Hweseung.

"That's because he wasn't singing, but he was telling a story about himself." Said Wonpil.

Before Younghyun could ask any further, the person they were talking about enter the room. 

"Hey Jae! you did well just now." Hongki complimented the boy. As always, he flashes them his cute smile and says thank you to all of them who complimented their performance.

After that, all of them went to celebrate it at the nearby restaurant with the senior paying for them.

_________________________________________________________

Ok my bad, the tissue is actually for the next chapter.