The Big Project

RUN TO YOU | Seventeen

"Annyeonghaseyo bujangnim.", Seungkwan greeted me.

When he greeted, and I saw that he nudged Mingyu and mouthed, Greet her!

Mingyu snapped out of his staring at me and bowed, "Good morning, Kwon bujangnim."

I was looking at Mingyu. I didn't have enough sleep last night while thinking of what happened yesterday. I never thought I would see him again.

I realized I'm standing idly in front of the elevator and I saw that Mingyu is holding the doors open for me and Seungkwan is watching. "Ah ne, I'll just go to the department head's office. He wants to see you too.", I motioned at Mingyu.

"Me?", Mingyu asked, surprised.

I nodded and went inside the elevator. Seungkwan and Mingyu looked at each other then Seungkwan walked away. Mingyu entered the elevator and pressed the floor button then the doors closed.

"I see you already know the department head's office floor.", I crossed my arms, not looking at him beside me.

"I easily memorize things.", Mingyu tucked one hand in his pants pocket and I side-eyed him. He is wearing a gray turtleneck and a powder blue coat. He looks good.

"Like what you see?", Mingyu said teasingly and looked at me with a smile.

Shocked, I looked up at him and said, "What- I-"

The elevator doors opened and he stepped out, leaving me dumbfounded. What the hell was that?

We arrived at the department head's office and Mingyu opened the doors for me. Upon seeing us, the department head, Go siljangnim greeted us with open arms, "Ah! Kwon bujang! And here I think we have... Kim gwajang?", he looked at Mingyu.

We both bowed and Mingyu added, "I'm Kwon bujang's new manager, Kim Mingyu. Please take care of me."

"Ne, ne... it's nice to meet you. Sit down.", he gestured for us to sit.

"I want to talk about two things and I'll make it quick. First, welcome to the department Kim gwajang. I hope Kwon bujang here already welcomed you to her team.", he eyed me.

"Ah ne, of course, they are already taking care of me well.", Mingyu looked at me. I scoffed.

"A piece of advice, Kwon bujang is the best team leader there is. Follow her, and you will never fail in this industry. But she can come off strong and hard to deal with, and I think that's the reason why other managers quit, but I hope you bear with her."

I rolled my eyes. While Mingyu smiled and seems to be enjoying this.

"Second, I'm giving a major project to your team, Kwon bujang. As you may have already heard, we are going to have a new director. This came from the chairman himself; he wants you to organize an event to formally introduce the new director to our company. Here are the details.", he handed me a folder and read the files.

"When will I meet with the new director?", I asked while flipping through the pages.

"You won't.", Go siljangnim said.

I looked up at him, "Mwo?", thinking I misheard him. I always meet my clients. I have to know details about them or the brand I will be promoting.

"The chairman wants to keep the new director's identity a secret. Even I don't know. I think he's the only one who knows. But everything else you need is there, the new director has some very particular requests for the event.", he explained.

Wow, what a personality. I thought. "So the chairman wants me to organize a formal company event... in a week... without meeting the actual client.", I emphasized. "Arasso." Challenge accepted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I called everyone on my team to the board room after I met the department head. Aside from my 2 managers, I have 8 other staff, so we're a total of 11.

"I'm sure everyone knows that we're going to have a new director. The chairman himself, trusted us with the launching party.", I said.

"Woah daebak. So who is the new director, bujangnim?", one of the employees said.

"We don't know.", I replied.

Suddenly, everyone was in an uproar and asking if it was possible. You see, in PR you need to know your client. You have to study about it and do a lot of research.

 

"But bujangnim, we need to know. How can we plan something if we don't know anything?", Seungkwan worriedly asked.

"Yes we do. We know these.", I held up the folder in my hand. "These are the details of the event, and some very particular requests from the new director. We have one week."

Everyone was quiet and looking at one another. Others are staring down at their notepads and pens. This is the first time we had a client which we don't know, and a time-constraint project to add.

"I've only been here for a day, and I've heard great things from this team. We can do it, right?", Mingyu smiled at the others who were looking troubled.

Seungkwan chimed in, "It's not 'can', it's 'will'. We WILL do it. Everyone, fighting!", Seungkwan stood up and punched a fist in the air. Some imitated him while smiling, while some laughed.

"Let's start, shall we?", I sat down and opened the folder.

I discussed everything with the team and now it's time for the new director's requests. "Now for the food, our new director does not like seafood. Make sure there will be no seafood in the menu, even fish. Present to me buffets and come up with a menu for each, I will choose personally.", this is actually my favorite part when I'm organizing parties. I get to taste different kinds of food for free and I discover different restaurants and bars.

"I know a lot of good restaurants and bars in Gangnam...", Mingyu said. Oh right, he owns a lot of it.

"Okay then, Kim gwajang will be in-charge for this.", I wrote down his name on the paper.

"Also, additional detail for the setup: light pink roses arrangements."

I tried to look nonchalant, but I can see Mingyu looking at me. What's with light pink roses nowadays, really?

The new director wanted a ballad singer to perform; I assigned Seungkwan to contact all agency managers and find a female and male singer.

"That's all. As it is a strictly formal event, I want everyone to dress well. You're representing our team, who organized it. Work hard.", I dismissed them and went out of the board room.

As I was buried in work, I didn't notice it's already 8pm. Thinking that everybody has gone home already, I picked up my coat, car keys and purse and headed out of my office.

As soon as I opened the door, Mingyu was standing in front of it, like he was about to knock. His eyes widened and he scratched his head.

"Mwoya... You didn't go home yet?", I asked.

"I- Ah... Uh.... I had a lot to do. I'm going home too, let's walk together?", he smiled.

I faced him and wondered how can he act like this knowing what happened to us?

"Thank you, but, we don't have that kind of relationship where we 'walk together'. Goodnight, Mingyu.", I walked away, leaving him standing there.