Just A Taste

RUN TO YOU | Seventeen

- Mingyu's POV -

We sat quietly in her car while we drove to the first restaurant. Soojin has her arms crossed while looking outside the window.

Having one hand on the wheel, I placed my other hand on my lap and tapped impatiently. The silence is killing us both and we know it. Watching Soojin out of the corner of my eye, I some music; iKON's Love Scenario came on.

Soojin sighed. "I don't turn on music when I drive.", she said.

"But I do.", I answered.

"This is my car.", she looked at me incredulously.

"But I'm driving."

She slumped back on her seat and continued staring out the window.

I decided that our conversation shouldn't end like this, so I said, "Isn't this fun? Don't you enjoy going to a lot of places to taste food for your events?"

"Ani.", she said flatly.

"Ya, can't you be more... brighter? Everyone is scared of you because of your stoic face. You used to be loud. You scolded us a lot too.", I ranted.

"Ya?!", she repeated. "Kim gwajang, I am your team leader. Shouldn't you be talking formally?"

"I call you that at the office. But, we're outside. And you can't deny that you are our Soojin... my Soojin."

She stared ahead. I thought she ended our conversation again by being quiet, but she suddenly talked.

"I'm not your Soojin. I'm not anyone's Soojin.", she muttered.

"What are you talking about? Don't you remember, we are your friends. We said we'll protect you. But, something happened and we all kinda fell apart... Where did you go, Soojin? Why did you suddenly leave us?"

Soojin wasn't able to answer as I pulled over the driveway at the first restaurant, she hopped off the car immediately. Sigh. Soojin, why are you being so hard?

We went to two restaurants and Soojin and I test-tasted the food for the party. She keeps nodding her head at every spoonful as if enjoying it, but she hasn't really picked yet.

The third and last restaurant was the one owned by my family. It's already past dinnertime when we arrived. As soon as I entered, everyone greeted me. "Good evening, Mingyu."

I smiled and waved at them. Soojin asked, "They don't call you 'sir' here? You're the owner, after all?"

"I made them not to, it's awkward. They call my father that, I'm not old.", I introduced Soojin to them, "Everyone, this is my boss in my company, Team Leader Kwon Soojin.", she bowed and smiled at them. Wow, that's a very beautiful smile.

I actively presented our menu and she went on to tasting. As usual, she nodded at every spoonful but when we finished she said, "Okay. I'll take your menu, Kim gwajang."

I was quite surprised. "Mwo? Jinjja? But why?"

"I'm getting tired of those expensive, high-end buffets. We always get them. It's time for something new.", she said. "Be the one to talk to them, I trust you on this.", she added. She held out her hand to me. I stared at it. Does she want me to hold her hand?!

But then she gestured at her car keys. I realized it's hanging on my pants. I forgot I drove her here with her car. My car is still in the office, I can't go home. But I thought of a plan.

"Why not try out the drinks at our bar? They're the best in Seoul.", I offered.

"Kim gwajang, I'm driving home. I can't drink.", she answered harshly.

"I'll drive you home. Just a taste! Why, are you afraid to get drunk? By chance... do you have low tolerance in alcohol?", I and laughed.

Soojin's face became red. I can see from her eyes that she wanted to hit me. "I'm great at drinking. Aren't you scared to be beaten by a girl?"

"Ani. Try me.", I looked at her daringly.

"Fine.", she sat down on one of the bar stools, slammed her purse and crossed her arms.

I smiled. Why do you make it so hard for yourself, Soojin-ah? I asked them to close the restaurant and made a bartender stay for the night.

 

After a glass of wine, a cocktail, and few shots of soju and beer combined, I was still sober but Soojin... she was already talking gibberish. Her eyes are droopy and she keeps spilling her drink. In short, she was already wasted. I tried stopping her but she also, is stopping me.

"I'mmm not... drrrunk yet! I tooohld you... I... don't... geht... drunk!", she patted me on the face. "Keep drinking... I'll wait forrr you... to drop dead!", she laughed hysterically. Aigoo, she must be very lonely.

She was talking about a girl who bullied her in highschool just because she is Korean. What is she talking about? I'm really confused listening to her stories. I decided to ask some questions.

"Soojin-ah, where were you all these years? Where did you go?", I worriedly asked.

"Me? Hahaha... Farrr awaaayyy! Far, far, far, far away where my father and his family sent me... in America."

"Huh? Why did you go to America because of your father?", I was getting more and more confused.

She pointed at a painting behind me. It was a painting of The Blue House. "Because he's there.", Soojin finished.

I was very confused and was about to ask her again but it slowly made sense to me. It was piecing together.

"By any chance... is your father... President Kwon Dongmin?", I asked cautiously.

She smiled and nodded. "It's a sssecret!", she laughed. "What's excitinggg about my life... is that I'm alwaysss hidden! You see, I'm a mistake. It turns out... my father's reputation is muuuch morrre important than me... so...", she downed her shot in one go.

I sat back on my chair, watching her. I took a moment to absorb everything in. Soojin is the illegitimate daughter of President Kwon. During that time, he was Deputy Prime Minister, and he sent Soojin to America to study and live there just to keep her away from him. That day, when we thought Soojin just left... she was actually forced to leave. I took a deep breath. I can only imagine how hard it must be for her.

She laid her face on the table, facing me, eyes closed. "But you know what's the saddest?", she suddenly said. I looked at her.

"You and Wonwoo.", she opened her eyes and looked at me. "That day... I waited. You never came. I was hoping you'd find me, but you never did...", she closed her eyes again.

"I did.", I said before leaning in to kiss her.