Sun, Moon, Earth

RUN TO YOU | Seventeen

Every passing day becomes bearable for me thanks to Mingyu and Wonwoo. What happened on that day became known to everyone in school, so no one bothered me again. No one is still approaching me, but this time, I don’t care. I already have friends.

I learned that they are not in the same grade as me, they are a grade higher. Every day, we would meet at the greenhouse. No excuses. If one of us will be late or won’t make it and wasn’t able to tell the others, we should wait. Even after school hours, we always wait. It’s like an unspoken rule, and we didn’t dare break it.

Today, I was the first one in the greenhouse. I was admiring the daisies when I saw Mingyu and Wonwoo walking towards the greenhouse. They have their arms around each other’s shoulders and they were laughing.

Beautiful. I thought to myself.

“Oh, you’re here already?”, Wonwoo waved at me. I didn’t answer because I know it wasn’t a question. “Ah… really… I think I’m going to go crazy whenever I study hard. It’s like, it’s not me! Maybe I am crazy…”, Mingyu plopped down on a chair. Wonwoo laughed. I noticed his nose scrunches every time he does that.

“But Mingyu, you and Wonwoo are the top in your class already. Why do you still study hard?”, I asked. “So I can beat Wonwoo! And myself!”, Mingyu laughed at what he said. It wasn’t that funny but the laughter of these two, it’s contagious.

“But Soojin, when are you going to share about yourself? We’ve known each other for months yet you still don’t tell us anything about you or your family!”, Mingyu stood in front of me.

“Is that really needed?”, I pushed Mingyu’s forehead with a finger.

Wonwoo answered, “Maybe we know your family. Almost everyone in this school have well-known families.”

Students in our school are either rich or have prestigious or famous families. As far as I know, Wonwoo’s and Mingyu’s families are businessmen. I haven’t really asked which corporation, not that I care anyway. Everyone’s status were determined based on your family. I’m quite surprised that no one has asked me yet about my family, until now.

How I wish I could tell you everything. I thought. Having someone whom I can share my secret with and be comfortable with it must be really nice.

“Let’s see… Kwon… Kwon Soojin… I don’t know a lot of Kwons…”, Mingyu paced back and forth while thinking.

“Could it be… Deputy Prime Minister Kwon?”, Wonwoo looked at me. Mingyu stopped pacing and looked at me too.

I’m shocked for a second there, but I was trained for this. I recovered quickly and joked, “Are you being funny right now? Does that even make sense?”

“Eh… Soojin’s right. If she is a daughter of a politician, we would’ve known!”, Mingyu hit Wonwoo’s arm lightly.

“You’re right. Hahaha, I’m sorry Soojin. And I think the Kwon family only has one son too.”, Wonwoo said to himself.

You’re right, I have an older stepbrother. Kwon Youngsoo.

“You know, we can all find out about our backgrounds by the end of the term. I don’t even know your family backgrounds! I really think it’s not important in a friendship. I’m friends with you, not with your families.”, I said to the two boys.

“I only know Jeon Wonwoo, top of his class, likes to read books, 12 years old. And Kim Mingyu, also top of his class, when Wonwoo is in number 2 spot…”, I added in a low voice, earning a “YA!” from Mingyu and more laughter from Wonwoo.

“Let me do that again, I only know Kim Mingyu, top of his class, tall person, 12 years old. See? I don’t know a lot of things about you guys because I don’t think it’s necessary. Having you as friends is what’s important.”, I said.

“I think I’m gonna cry. Hold on.”, Mingyu pretended to wipe his eyes and I reached out to pinch his arm but he quickly avoided it. Damn he’s fast.

“Mingyu was planning on letting you share your story today, and after you tell us your story, he will give us something.”, Wonwoo said. “Really?”, I said. I looked at Mingyu.

“Wah, Jeon Wonwoo. Wah, jinjja... Thanks for spoiling it.”, Mingyu said incredulously while shaking his head. “Yeah, I was planning on hearing your story. Then I expect you to cry, and while crying, I will give you this!”, Mingyu pulled something out of the inside pocket of his coat.

He opened his hands revealing three necklaces; a sun, a moon, and the earth.

“Eh? Why three?”, Wonwoo asked, examining the necklaces.

“The other one’s for you, Jeon Wonwoo-nim…Aish…”, Mingyu said.

“Which one’s mine?”, I asked.

“I haven’t worked out that yet… I don’t know which one’s which.”, Mingyu confessed. He laid the necklaces on a table.

The three of us stood silently while thinking how to choose which necklace would be right for us when Wonwoo started arranging the necklaces.

“Mingyu can have the moon. I know you’re tall, and the earth and sun are bigger than the moon but the moon goes around the earth, protecting it. I will have the earth then, because in fights, you are the one who leads us both, Mingyu. I’ve always just stood by your side.”, Wonwoo said.

“Then Soojin, you can have the sun. Mingyu and I, we’re just a couple of ordinary friends. Then we met you and you made our friendship extraordinary. You give brightness to anyone around you. You just stand still, just stand there Soojin, and we will go around you, just like the moon and earth, and protect you.”, Wonwoo circled the moon and earth around the sun necklace.

“Without the sun, there will be no purpose for the moon to shine and the earth to live.”, Mingyu concluded.

For the first time, in a long while, you felt yourself smile genuinely. You felt the weight on your shoulders and heart lift. Finally, you found a family.

“I’d like that.”, you smiled at Mingyu and Wonwoo as you took the sun necklace.