The Cold Sun

RUN TO YOU | Seventeen

- 13 YEARS LATER –

 

A black car is zooming on the highway. A lady, wearing red lipstick is pursing her lips. But still, she manages to look composed and polished. She speed-dialed a number and waited for the person on the other end of the line to answer.

 

"H-hello? Kwon bujangnim (head manager Kwon)...", the guy started.

 

"YA BOO SEUNGKWAN! What is happening?! Where is Choi gwajang (manager Choi)?!", I yelled.

 

"Bujangnim, h-he's not here yet... and he is n-not picking up his phone too...", he stammered, obviously very nervous.

 

"Aish... ah jinjja! I gave him this project for a chance to impress me... and he does this?!", I continue yelling.

 

"I'm on my way! I want everything prepared, meet me at the lobby and brief me. I'll do the presentation!", I cut the call and drove quickly.

 

When I arrived in front of the company building, I didn't even bother to park. I picked up my purse, got out of the car and shoved the keys to the chest of the valet guy who ran to open my door.

 

Upon entering the glass doors, I was met by my assistant, Boo Seungkwan, who goes by Boo gwajang (manager Boo). He quickly matched his pace to mine, who is scarily clacking my heels on the marble floor.

 

Without me saying a word, Seungkwan started briefing me about the presentation today. He talked fast and hasn't given me a paper because he knows that I don’t need it and I’d memorize it by the time we reach our office floor. That's how efficient and scary I am now; Kwon Soojin, senior head manager and team leader.

 

Our company is the biggest events, marketing & PR company in South Korea, owned by the most powerful and biggest conglomerate, J Corp. Today, a huge client is coming, and I gave the job to one of my managers, who isn't here, yet the meeting is due in 30 minutes.

 

While Seungkwan is talking, I keep quiet. I don’t even acknowledge but I know that he knows I am listening and concentrating, maybe even formulating a game plan in my head. Out of everyone in the company, I trust Seungkwan because he has been working for me for around 3 years already, ever since he first entered the company. While I am slowly being promoted, he too, is slowly being promoted as I keep him with me wherever I go.

 

When I reached the door of my office, I told him, "Good job. Call me if it's time. Prepare everything well."

 

"Ne, bujangnim.", Seungkwan politely bowed and scurried away.

 

I removed my coat, threw it on my desk along with my purse and crashed onto my seat.

 

It's still morning and my head is already aching, I thought while I closed my eyes and massaged my temples.

 

I stood up and looked out the window. The weather is good today. Perfect weather to do an excellent presentation, snag a huge client, and fire a manager. Right?

 

At that moment, my boss, which is the department head, entered my office without knocking. I really hate it when people do that.

 

"Kwon bujangnim! Explain what is happening right now!", he demanded.

 

I did a small bow and said, "Choi gwajang is, unfortunately, not here today. We couldn't reach him and we don't know what happened. But Boo gwajang already briefed me and I, myself will do the presentation.", I reassured him.

 

His face relaxed and said, "Really? Well then, I trust that you know what to do?", he asked.

 

"Ne. Don’t worry, siljangnim (department head). We'll do well. I always have.", I confidently answered.

 

He nodded and left my office.

 

After a few minutes, Seungkwan came into my office and said, "Bujangnim, the client is already here."

I stood up and before going out the door, I said to Seungkwan, "Make sure that Choi gwajang won't barge in the meeting and won't come to my office. Fire him... oh and, find me a new manager."

 

Seungkwan looked up with shocked eyes but quickly looked down and replied, "N-ne. I understand."

 

I entered the board room and saw my boss and the clients already sitting on the table, greeting each other. Seungkwan and some of my staff take a seat on the side. Whenever I give presentations I require them to watch because I want them to learn from me. I want them to know that you should not invest in any emotions as it gets in the way of your goal. That’s how I lived for the past years. That’s what got me here.

 

I took a deep breath, put on my biggest fake smile for the clients and started my presentation.

 

When the presentation and meeting is done, the client walked up to me and shook hands. “I look forward to working with you, your team and J Corp.”, he said.

 

“It’s our pleasure to work with the best, sir.”, I answered.

 

Late in the afternoon, Seungkwan handed me some papers. “Here are the reports from today’s meeting. Congratulations, bujangnim.”, he smiled.

 

I nodded and said, “Tell everyone they worked hard. You too, good job.”

 

“Thank you so much, bujangnim.”, he smiled widely and did a small bow. “Also, Choi gwajang called and said he is really sorry, his friend was rushed to the hospital and needed a guardian since that friend doesn’t have any family…”, Seungkwan trailed off.

 

I ignored it. This Choi really have the nerve… “Ah right, have you found me a manager?”, I asked nonchalantly while looking through some papers.

 

“Ah, I already sent out the news of the opening, and as of now people are already sending in their applications. I will look through them tonight and screen and interview them tomorrow.”

 

“Ani, I will interview them.”, I casually said.

 

“Ne? But, you don’t do that…”, he said, confused.

 

“I know, that’s why this happened.” I tapped at Choi’s termination papers. “From now on, I will do the interviews. You will still look through the applications, screen them so only the best will be called for an interview. Then together, we will decide.”, I explained.

 

“I understand, bujangnim. If there’s any more I can do today…”, Seungkwan said. He always asks if there are more work to do even if he’s about to go home. Aish, this kid.

 

“Ani, that’s all. You worked hard today… Ah, Boo gwajang.”, I suddenly remembered something while I’m picking up my purse and coat.

 

“Ne bujangnim?”, he replied.

 

“Today… it’s your mother’s birthday right?”, I casually asked.

 

“Ah ne! How did you know? I mean, how can you remember?”, Seungkwan looked genuinely shocked.

 

Seungkwan’s mother sends me a lot of food and side dishes. Before, she did that to apologize if he was not good or if he was giving me a hard time, and to eat her food so I can have a lot of patience for Seungkwan. The gesture touched me, and I can see Seungkwan’s determination and hard work for this job. Remembering her birthday is the least I could do.

 

I smiled at Seungkwan. “Buy her a nice coat, and a bag that goes with it. Charge it under my name and tell her it’s my gift.”, I coolly said before heading out of my office and walking away.

 

“Waaa! Kamsahamnida bujangnim! Jinjja kamsahamnida!”, Seungkwan shouted.

 

“Go home!”, I shouted back. I smiled to myself. The little ray of sunlight within me is peeking.